PRD opens 'Trust me, We’re Thai' foreign media workshop

webfact

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Please stop it, I'm not so young these days and this sort of official nonsense will do for me.

I however must thank the Thai govt, various agencies etc for ensuring I'm likely to expire with a smile on my face.

Is ' hysterical laughter ' permitted as Cause of Death on a certificate ? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Cause: A deliberate accident

Land of Smiles.

Amazing Thailand.

Thainess

Trust me I'm Thai.

Every single slogan is full of irony yet they're too clueless/ignorant to understand how ridiculous they sound to those that have experienced life here. It's like the polls they keep dreaming up or these hub hopes or the promises to clean up Songkran. Christ on a bike just give it up and either be realistic - beautiful beaches, nice food, hot climate, elephants, nice scenery, average people if you show respect but nothing out of the ordinary. <snip>

Edited by Jai Dee
Profanity deleted

"Trust me, we’re Thai" - I don't think that rather silly slogan goes down particularly well in the light of the recent introduction of much, much tougher media visa application rules that will see a huge number of foreign correspondents being kicked out of the country in the coming months as the new rules are difficult to fulfill even for the largest global media agencies.

It is quite clear from this article (and the seminar it describes) what type of foreign journalists are welcome: Those who are willing - and corrupt enough - to cover news "on the basis of preserving national benefits", who help "create a good understanding among foreign countries" [read: only presenting the sunny side], and whose writings "encourage investment and business operations [in Thailand] by foreigners".

Not needed (nor wanted) are those who follow the ethical standards of their profession and report truthfully, balanced but also critically on issues that may not always be conducive to "preserving national benefits".

As a foreign correspondent acquaintance of mine remarked, whose media visa renewal was recently rejected for the flimsiest of reasons after he had covered the country for his global agency for the past 15 years: "The new rules are exactly what you'd expect coming from a ...." (and here he used the dreaded d-word for a form of government; and no, it wasn't "democracy").

How are professional journalists supposed to believe in a slogan like "Trust me, we're Thai" under these circumstances? More importantly, will Thailand shoot herself in the foot by systematically culling the foreign media presence in the country?

One could imagine that this knee-jerk move is going to produce quite a few disgruntled correspondents who after having been kicked out and are forced to move to neighboring countries might in the future report much less benevolently on Thailand than they have in the past. They finally also can freely use words or phrases or touch topics they have refrained from previously for fear of prosecution (or out of courtesy to their host country).

On the back of today's reporting that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are going after 'an unnamed international news outlet renowned for their non partisanship, after having recently posted an interview with Taksin' I believe you're right. Do they not see what utter clods they're making themselves look? Astounding blink.png

Oh yes, the Sufficiency thingy.... From the 1940's and we all know much of that Era surely applies today.

sufficiency must haves

1 shiny truck

2 shiny phone

3 lack of any morals

4 rampant greed

The government are basically just salesmen trying to convince people to buy an overpriced, dodgy product.

Considering that most people are as savvy as a box of hammers, it won't be a hard sell. It never is.

After reading the various TV news reports on a daily basis, I have decided on my own slogan...

I like mine better than the one offered here. Think about it...

Thailand, the Country You're Dying to Visit!

--------------

BTW, even the PRD folks can't manage to get their English grammar correct?

It should be

Trust Us, We're Thai, or

Trust Me, I'm Thai, but not

Trust Me, We're Thai.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK