After being warned about 4 visa extensions is it wise to keep coming and going to Thailand?

Agree all this chat about linking passports is not really relevant, but someone advised the OP to just get a new passport which is incorrect info.

Plus his visa would still have been on the old one.

They do link passports, I saw this at Jomtien when I had a minor dispute over a visa, they showed me all my records for the last 8 years and covering three passports. It only takes a few seconds with modern hardware and database searching!

Surely as soon as the passport number is scaned it brings up all previous history attached to that unique passport number. I know it is slightly different but when I opened a bank account at Bangkok Bank they just entered my passport number and found me on their data base within seconds and my account with them was closed 20 years ago.

• Like 1

If one is coming into Thailand and there is a large queue the IO has no reason nor time to do the link between passports, especially if you have a valid visa. Their only clue at this point would be to count the number of Visas or extensions in the current passport. Yes, it is all there in the computer- but it takes time for the link- adding 30 seconds onto a huge queue backs up the visitors exponentially. It is the same for the Interpol list. They have to go to a different screen. When the queue is non existent- I have noticed that extra screening takes place. This information is from personal observation only but it is logical and explains why people with an outstanding warrant can get in.

I do not think typing your name and date of birth is optional. The IO must do it every time, however busy he is. Once done, the IO needs to do nothing further to create any link (always assuming the system is working correctly).

Surely as soon as the passport number is scaned it brings up all previous history attached to that unique passport number. I know it is slightly different but when I opened a bank account at Bangkok Bank they just entered my passport number and found me on their data base within seconds and my account with them was closed 20 years ago.

look at your passport !

Your name, your birth date, expire date of passport, Nationality,

and passport number on the 2 lines which are electronically scanned,

and it takes not a second !

so they will find all passports which they have under your name and birthdate

in their system;

Last time he asked me if I have 3 passports ?

I have 3 PP valid ones,

but 1 was lost - but by expire date still valid;

They have this information !!

If you do an extension of stay there is no doubt all your passport and other history is stored in the immigration system.

As to whether passports are linked using name and date of birth on entry to Thailand I feel that is not certain. Many people complain on this forum about having their passports incorrectly stamped on entry. Go figure.

Edited by mngmn

So thanks to everyone who attempted to give their thoughts to my question, appreciated.

We seem to have taken a massive derail though onto systems and linking of passports

The officer may just have noticed previous extensions in the passport yes.

But I wouldn't have thought having 2 Thai tourist visas (with 4 extensions) plus numerous stamps and visas for other countries over the past 2 years (that's about how old my passport is) would cause such suspicion that it had to be extra checked and a supervisor called to ask questions.

Seems like many people travel to Thailand every year often for months at a time. I was staying in a hotel in Pattaya recently and about 50% of people I met round the pool were talking about "I'm here for 3 / 4 / 6 months and I come here every year".

Seems very common to me. So wouldn't be such an unrare thing and worthy of extra scrutiny.

I'm more inclined to think something alerted the official on the computer when my details were entered.

But anyway that's not the point is it?

The point is whether I'll be allowed back in or not after this warning and it seems that as there is no rule on the subject, no mass reporting of people being refused, and that I can prove I have funds, flights out the country and an overseas income then it'll probably be OK.

I'll take my chances. :)

Thanks

Get a new passport. Systems cannot track it and its too much effort for them

Wrong !

The immigration computers will link "old" visa history with a new passport .

No you are wrong. I seen it just the other day and I have 10 years ERP experience. Yes they can look it up but don't there's simple too many tourist to do full check. Under staffed uneducated then if you speak English quickly you lose them. And passports aren't linked. Worst case go apply in different country. No visa link

You are wrong. It seems to be only something you think and not based upon facts. This has been discussed many times and has been confirmed by people that were shown there history on a previous passport.

I'm also interested in this as I have passports from 2 different EU countries and one has all my records of visas and stamps for Thailand and the other one is empty. I have asked this in the forum before but never really got a convincing answer. So can it be of any use to play with 2 passports?

Wrong !

There will be no visa history in new passport.

It worked for me tho.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

Wrong !

There will be no visa history in new passport.

It worked for me tho.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

Visas from a embassy or consulate is a yes. But entries, departures and etc is are kept on immigration's data based will be found.

• Like 1

I'm also interested in this as I have passports from 2 different EU countries and one has all my records of visas and stamps for Thailand and the other one is empty. I have asked this in the forum before but never really got a convincing answer. So can it be of any use to play with 2 passports?

If they were issued by the same country, I would say they would usually be linked. With different issuing countries, I just do not know. It would be interesting to know the answer.

• 4 weeks later...

So to update this for anyone in similar situation...

The second entry on my triple entry tourist visa (issued in London shortly before they were replaced by multiple entry) expired last week. Usually I'd go Chaeng Wattana and get the 30 day extension but after the grilling at Swampy Airport about extensions I decided I'd not bother and just fly out of Thailand for a bit.

Went off to Malaysia for 5 days flying in and out from Don Muang this time (not because of the issue at the other airport just flights were cheaper)

On the way OUT of Thailand the officer spent a good amount of time reviewing my passport looking at the various stamps and visa he said to me "last day of visa?" which I confirmed was indeed the case.

Then he turned to talk to his co-worker and though I couldn't understand everything I did pick up enough to understand he was telling her I had a couple of visas and a few extensions and I was leaving on the last day of my visa. She said "mai pen rai" and he did what he had to and gave me my passport back.

That struck me as odd and was expecting that if they are doing that on the way out I'm being grilled on way back.

Returned 5 days later, with all paperwork in check, 20K in Thai Baht in wallet, flights to China booked for next month, flight home details, bank statement showing overseas funds, and proof of having a business and paying taxes overseas just in case I should need it.

But nope wasn't asked for it.

Nothing was said. No questions asked. Was stamped through in 30 seconds flat.

So I don't know if there is a system alert or not. Or if there is at BKK Airport but not DM.

Or if it's all down to the officers discretion on the day.

Or it could be that the notes the supervisor at BKK airport took on me last time (About when my flights home etc were) had been recorded on the system saying it was all fine (didn't seem like officer would have had time to read them though)

Or perhaps the "4 extensions in 12 months" didn't alert this time because I didn't extend any further.

Still none the wiser.

But I got in anyway hassle free.

Maybe put anyone else in a similar situations mind at rest even though it's still not entirely clear what the process is for being questioned. :)

Many years ago (1970s) this wrong assumption brought the UK's new vehicle licencing system to its knees and is one of the reasons why UK licenses are valid until age 70 with no renewals required.

Yes! I have considerably more than 10 years working in IT.

British Photo DLs need to be renewed every 10 years.

Had to renew mine last year, not 70 yet.

You are way out of date with your information.

Edited by BritManToo

So to update this for anyone in similar situation...

The second entry on my triple entry tourist visa (issued in London shortly before they were replaced by multiple entry) expired last week. Usually I'd go Chaeng Wattana and get the 30 day extension but after the grilling at Swampy Airport about extensions I decided I'd not bother and just fly out of Thailand for a bit.

Went off to Malaysia for 5 days flying in and out from Don Muang this time (not because of the issue at the other airport just flights were cheaper)

On the way OUT of Thailand the officer spent a good amount of time reviewing my passport looking at the various stamps and visa he said to me "last day of visa?" which I confirmed was indeed the case.

Then he turned to talk to his co-worker and though I couldn't understand everything I did pick up enough to understand he was telling her I had a couple of visas and a few extensions and I was leaving on the last day of my visa. She said "mai pen rai" and he did what he had to and gave me my passport back.

That struck me as odd and was expecting that if they are doing that on the way out I'm being grilled on way back.

Returned 5 days later, with all paperwork in check, 20K in Thai Baht in wallet, flights to China booked for next month, flight home details, bank statement showing overseas funds, and proof of having a business and paying taxes overseas just in case I should need it.

But nope wasn't asked for it.

Nothing was said. No questions asked. Was stamped through in 30 seconds flat.

So I don't know if there is a system alert or not. Or if there is at BKK Airport but not DM.

Or if it's all down to the officers discretion on the day.

Or it could be that the notes the supervisor at BKK airport took on me last time (About when my flights home etc were) had been recorded on the system saying it was all fine (didn't seem like officer would have had time to read them though)

Or perhaps the "4 extensions in 12 months" didn't alert this time because I didn't extend any further.

Still none the wiser.

But I got in anyway hassle free.

Maybe put anyone else in a similar situations mind at rest even though it's still not entirely clear what the process is for being questioned. smile.png

Food for thought. Thanks for sharing.

Speculation: they are looking for people staying full time in Thailand on tourist visas and extensions. The 5 day gap before reentering may have reassured them.

As someone with significantly more than 10 years IT experience, I consider automatic linking of old and new passports based on full name, nationality and date of birth to be fairly simple, and require no special effort on the part of the immigration official.
It a miss conception that full name and date of birth is a unique identifier. In a large population of English names there will definitely be some duplicates. The situation gets much worse with Chinese, Indian and Muslim names for example.

Many years ago (1970s) this wrong assumption brought the UK's new vehicle licencing system to its knees and is one of the reasons why UK licenses are valid until age 70 with no renewals required.

Yes! I have considerably more than 10 years working in IT.

You are correct up to a point.

The combination of full name, nationality and date of birth is not always (or even overwhelmingly) unique in the country of origin. There will be a large number of individuals in the UK called John Edward Smith, and a few of them will have been born on exactly the same day. Out of the handful that fall into that category, probably zero or one will have visited Thailand. Furthermore, an occasional false match in the immigration computer is not the end of the world.

Most people only visit Thailand once or twice and any invalid match would be irrelevant. If (and this would be very rare) an Englishman called John Edward Smith born January 1, 1970 stayed for a long period in Thailand on tourist visas/visa exempt entries, and a different English John Edward Smith born January 1, 1970 subsequently visited Thailand, this second individual could be flagged and questioned. This would cause some minor inconvenience, but the mistaken identity would be sorted out and the blameless John Edward Smith wished a pleasant stay in Thailand.

With 25 million visits a year - do we limit how far back we attempt to match or are we happy to process 250 million entries to get our match since a passport lasts for 10 years.

Also not all entries are from the UK. Does your argument still hold for Rahul Patel or Imad bin Id? Or do we only target western names?

Don't want to side track the thread but feel the need to respond to potentially inaccurate advice given to OP.

Has anyone on this forum ever had an old passport matched to a new one? Let's hear some concrete evidence.

That is not that many records.... they are not that wide - and they likely have indexes. Additionally if it became a problem you could "purge" the individual records into a summary record (one per passport) balance forward record - last entry, entries prior 12 months, etc.