Immigration and the man with a parrot........

topt

No this is not a joke although there were plenty of people taking pictures.

Went to pick my passport up just after 2pm and stood waiting at the desk where the retirement extensions are dealt with. The lady on the far right behind the counter/desk beckoned to a guy sitting close and as he stood up I saw he had a large red parrot/macaw standing on his wrist. He was also waiting for his passport but had taken a number (I was not offered one). From his voice he may have been English but not sure. The parrot frightened the life out of the 2 girls when it very loudly said Hello and then he let it sit on the edge of the counter whilst he checked his passport. Was given mine and whilst checking it the bird had ended up on top of one of the girls heads and he was taking a picture with her phone along with a load of others.

(I was just hoping it was not going to crap on top of her head gigglem.gif )

The bigger older Immigration guy who is always on that desk I don't think even cracked a smile and if anything looked even more peeved than normal but did not seem to say anything. Was quite amusing but I am amazed they let this guy in with the bird - must have been a good 60/70cms long from beak to tail and there is not a lot of space in those seats.

If, I repeat if, this is a true story. I would love to know why they let the parrot in ?

Is this guy, not the parrot, extremely rich ? Married to the big boss mafia person in Chonburi ? Married to the Governor's sister ?

He's an unlicensed beggar, I thought Canadian but don't know how he would get an income letter if Canadian. Must be from the U.S.A.. He usually scams those taking photo's, asking for 100 Baht, word is not always up front about it with the Chinese tourists but I don't know this to be a fact. He asked me about a photo at McDonald's at Avenue Mall, but did disclose he wanted money for it. In addition, the bird has been brought to group functions and eats off people's plates, him never buying anything himself.(the bird or it's owner)

He's an unlicensed beggar, I thought Canadian but don't know how he would get an income letter if Canadian. Must be from the U.S.A.. He usually scams those taking photo's, asking for 100 Baht, word is not always up front about it with the Chinese tourists but I don't know this to be a fact. He asked me about a photo at McDonald's at Avenue Mall, but did disclose he wanted money for it. In addition, the bird has been brought to group functions and eats off people's plates, him never buying anything himself.(the bird or it's owner)

Don from Hawaii is his name. We've been friends for years. I don't think the word scam is appropriate. I've watched him in action for many years. He has photo examples that he shows prospective clients of the bird on their head, shoulders, and arm. 3 photos = 100 baht. I have never seen him surprise anyone. People tend to approach him for photos. He may get testy if you come a little too close to make a photo but I'm sure we're all capable of being that way when our personal space is invaded.

Lastly, I've been to many live music jams (amateur musicians can come onstage and play usually for no money but the bar owner may throw in 1-2 free drinks) where the musicians don't order anything except their free drinks.

I don't care what anyone does as long as they are harmless.

He sidled up to me on Second Road recently and furtively whispered 'Photos?" as I passed. Until now I wasn't sure I'd heard him correctly. Now I know I must look like a greenhorn nutter who pays another nutter to take a crappy photo of him with a parrot in Pattaya.

If, I repeat if, this is a true story. I would love to know why they let the parrot in ?

Is this guy, not the parrot, extremely rich ? Married to the big boss mafia person in Chonburi ? Married to the Governor's sister ?

Highly likely he acquired it here

I have seen him before near garden mall. I thought he was annoying and generally unpleasant. His visa paperwork is of what type? Extension by marriage? Ed Visa? Looks too young for year old retirement extension. Many Tourist Visas? Work Permit? Begging?

Don from Hawaii is his name. We've been friends for years. I don't think the word scam is appropriate. I've watched him in action for many years. He has photo examples that he shows prospective clients of the bird on their head, shoulders, and arm. 3 photos = 100 baht. I have never seen him surprise anyone. People tend to approach him for photos. He may get testy if you come a little too close to make a photo but I'm sure we're all capable of being that way when our personal space is invaded.

Lastly, I've been to many live music jams (amateur musicians can come onstage and play usually for no money but the bar owner may throw in 1-2 free drinks) where the musicians don't order anything except their free drinks.

I don't care what anyone does as long as they are harmless.

A beautiful prose by someone who hasn't suffered the scam. 100 Baht is a scam for the prop of a bird on your shoulder and said photo, taken by you with your camera/phone. Cambodian's work a full day on construction sites for that kind of money. Your use of words like "clients" is clever but only fools the complete idiots on here. We also like the music jams comparison, it's a complete distraction away from the issue being discussed, that of a farang running around the tourist section hustling money for basically, nothing.

Please now give us your spiel about the Filipino's and their "save the children" brochures in English which they don't mind interrupting you while you are dining to "sell". Thanks.

PS: The Chinese tour group operators usually want a huge commission for said shenanigans, is your friend paying them?

"People tend to approach him"? Are you serious? They approach him, asking to take a photo and offer him money for said favor? Please....

The "harm" is done by the contribution to the reputation many farangs have in town of being nothing but freeloaders leaching on the Thai's.

See him all the time on beach road , charging for taking pics with the bird , talked with him once ,but he is not the friendliest of people ,still i suppose the bird loves him biggrin.png

A miserable guy for sure unless your crossing his palm with a 100 baht note.................he feeds the bird with chicken leftovers from the "Tin cup" on soi Buk and no he doesn,t seem to pay for it from what I have observed wink.png

As for taking it into Immigration...... shows a total lack of respect.