The Solar Paperwork Nightmare

GinBoy2

Hello all

A question on the paperwork requirements.

It's been mentioned that the installer needs to submit the initial paperwork to the PEA office in Bangkok, I'm guessing this is their main office in Chutuchuk? Is there a specific department?

What paperwork exactly needs to be submitted to this office?

My installer is being a little vague on this subject and as I mentioned I'm now not allowed by the local PEA guys to use my system until this is sorted. So I'm trying to get all the specifics to get things moving.

Craighj

We haven't installed solar yet, but I intend doing so later this year. The companies I've spoken to seem very coy about revealing exactly how they ensure everything is legal.

I'd really like to DIY the installation, whether this is possible, who knows. I do have a Thai step-son who happens to be an engineer (not a sparks, he's IT), maybe he will be enough to convince PEA.

Since we're in no hurry I'll try and do it by the book. Step-1 send Wifey to PEA to ask what they want / need.

Once we have something concrete I'll start a new thread.

• 2 weeks later...

The paperwork is always the challenge in a foreign country you do not speak and read the language. The PEA rules about grid tied home energy systems seems the same as in most civilized countries to me. They don't like you system shock their maintenance people while working on the powerlines.

The challenge will be to find the office that can approve your solar system to be grid tied. A grid tied solar system is only economical if you are allowed to deliver power during the day, reverse run the meter and use it at night. You have to ask the energy company what happens if you deliver more power to the grid as using from the grid. Probably they don't know yet :) and probably they don't like it because it only cost them money without making a profit. If they install a not reversing meter you loose the advantage of the grid battery function.

The disadvantage of a grid tied system is that your power will be off too if the grid power is down. The main grid is just like a battery bank. A big advantage is you get are able to get much more power if you have an unplanned extra demand. Also if there was a monthly connection fee it will be much cheaper as buying a battery bank. An off grid system will be much more expensive.

Still, it can be worse. In the Netherlands the government is studying how to tax solar energy :(.

Already done it in some parts of Oz

haven't been in our place (Oz) since November - 5 months

Electricity bill 350 dollars - -90 days bill - somewhere near 9000 baht

Less 140 dollars for solar feed in.

Plus 100 dollars "service charge"

Only thing running is a fridge that we left on.I'll be turning that off next week when we are back there briefly!!

They encouraged solar but now hate it as they don't get the revenue they relied on.

Its got nothing to do with the environment when it comes to government income.