Phuket underpass on target to open April 9

snoop1130

Phuket underpass on target to open April 9
Tanyaluk Sakoot

post-249866-0-33900800-1457703826_thumb.
The Sam Kong Underpass is on target to open to traffic on April 9. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: -- More than a year behind its original deadline for completion, the Sam Kong Underpass on the bypass road is on schedule to open to traffic on April 9, the project’s lead engineer told The Phuket News today (Mar 11).

“Construction is going well. We have not encountered any more major obstacles to completion, and the tunnel itself is now done,” said Chalermpon Wongkietkun, Project Engineer from the Highways Department Phuket office.

“Workers are now paving the ramps at both ends of the tunnel, which we will be able to open to traffic on April 9,” he said.

After the tunnel work is complete, work will begin on paving the ground-level lanes that pass the project site.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-underpass-on-target-to-open-april-9-56571.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-11

Is this really the whole article? What is the Phuket News team doing? I did check the full story from the TPN website, but there was no real additional information.

There has been sanctions issued to the developer, why don't you follow the money and document trail if these sanctions has been paid, and how much has been paid to our local governments. After all, that's the money which will be spend to develop our shared environment to be better.

Nonsense. Driving past there every day and I see no way this will be complete next month.

I notice they say 'the tunnel will be open for traffic', but its a cop out.

When the Central tunnel first had vehicles going through, it was unfinished and several months away from completion

The Tesco underpass is still months from completion

Nonsense. Driving past there every day and I see no way this will be complete next month.

I notice they say 'the tunnel will be open for traffic', but its a cop out.

When the Central tunnel first had vehicles going through, it was unfinished and several months away from completion

The Tesco underpass is still months from completion

Not only that, but the Central tunnel wasn't opened to traffic for at least a month or so after the roadbed was complete, while waiting for electrical work, lighting, signals and pumps to be installed. The roadbed for the approaches to the Samkong tunnel are nowhere near being complete, and I don't see any of the electrical work being done.

Maybe we should start a survey for which month (and year) TVF members think the Samkong underpass will really be completed.

Maybe we should start a survey for which month (and year) TVF members think the Samkong underpass will really be completed.

I was going to suggest a pool, and we start taking bets. But I'm not that stupid, and I would rather not be banged up like a dangerous old bridge player...tongue.png

July 17th, how's that.

Is this really the whole article? What is the Phuket News team doing? I did check the full story from the TPN website, but there was no real additional information.

There has been sanctions issued to the developer, why don't you follow the money and document trail if these sanctions has been paid, and how much has been paid to our local governments. After all, that's the money which will be spend to develop our shared environment to be better.

This is one of my pet peeves. Local journalists (if you can really call them "journalists") consider it rude and inappropriate to ask follow-up questions, or ask for status updates on statements/promises made by government officials. This would be seen as exposing their BS, resulting in a major loss of face, which we all know is not tolerated. Unfortunately, for our civil servants maintaining "face" is much more important that performing one's job in a competent manner.

This is one of my pet peeves. Local journalists (if you can really call them "journalists") consider it rude and inappropriate to ask follow-up questions, or ask for status updates on statements/promises made by government officials. This would be seen as exposing their BS, resulting in a major loss of face, which we all know is not tolerated. Unfortunately, for our civil servants maintaining "face" is much more important that performing one's job in a competent manner.

Excellent observation .... I could not have written is better ...

Per others here, I also go by every day and see no way this will be available in a month. Note there is no word of the crossing road over the tunnel, which is a key road for accessing the town itself as well as the two major hospitals (Bkk Phuket and Vachira). Disgusted with the the entire process and all related to it, including the so-called journalists.

you are using the wrong terms, thailand does not have journalist nor real estate agents

only data entry clerks and facebook spammers

Per others here, I also go by every day and see no way this will be available in a month. Note there is no word of the crossing road over the tunnel, which is a key road for accessing the town itself as well as the two major hospitals (Bkk Phuket and Vachira). Disgusted with the the entire process and all related to it, including the so-called journalists.

There will be a normal intersection rebuilt above the tunnel, as per the Central Festival/Darasamut? underpass - it has always been in the original plans. Don't expect it to be operational by next month though.

Tim Newton, who did the Phuket News live video, was giving a daily countdown to the promised April opening. For some reason, he, and the countdown, no longer feature on the news broadcasts.

The tunnel looks a complete mess at the moment, but they have been working like buggary ever since they were given the ultimatum. I think there is a chance it will open by the date given.

Excellent observation .... I could not have written is better ...

I've often said the same thing, about poor journalism, often suffering a blasting from an EDitor from a now closed blog site, I guess they don't ask, follow up because their lives could be at risk, so only report what those in power/influence want us to hear, not always the truth. The media has a lot to answer for when it comes to allowing crime/corruption/ineptitude to flourish. Someone should start an off-shore site.

Edited by Rorri