Video of Thai bus driver dangerously overtaking truck causes outrage

rooster59

Video of Thai bus driver dangerously overtaking truck causes outrage

Kwaang Siripoom

BANGKOK:-- Officials from the Nakhon Chai Air coach company have promised to launch an investigation after one its drivers was filmed driving recklessly and endangering the lives of other motorists.

A video clip titled "Almost Gets Killed from A Law Breaking Coach Driver of Nakhon Chai Air" was uploaded to the Thai Facebook page YouLike and has been viewed more than 400,000 times.

In the clip, the bus driver can be seen flashing his headlights, travelling on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic and narrowly missing the driver who filmed the clip as he tries to overtake a truck at high speed.

Management for Nakhon Chai Air have acknowledged the clip and have identified the driver of the Nakhon Ratchasima - Chiang Mai service who was performing the dangerous manoeuvre.

A spokesperson for Nakhon Chai Air Company reportedly told Thairath that the company is currently in the process of calling the driver in for a serious meeting and investigation.

The spokesperson also said the footage will be broadcast at the company’s annual general meeting due to be held at the end of March and shown to every driver employed by the company as an example on how not to behave on the road.

The spokesperson added all company drivers need to drive safely at all times, especially during the upcoming Songkran festival.

During investigation the company will contact each passenger on the bus for feedback as part of an evaluation into the driver’s behaviour. If the driver is found to have failed the evaluation he will face losing his job.

Some people commenting on the video said they were disgusted by the driving of the bus driver, while others said this was an everyday occurrence and nothing out of the ordinary.

One user wrote: “the driver obviously has no respect for his passengers or other road users”.

Source: ThaiRath / Video credit: @Wut Boonrit

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-12

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A spokesperson for Nakhon Chai Air Company reportedly told Thairath that the company is currently in the process of calling the driver in for a serious meeting and investigation."

A serious meeting. jeeeeeez he should be put in jail.

Bus drivers here are the worst! They just change lanes like they own the road, There are times I actually wish someone would go into road rage mode, pull them out and beat the crap out of them.

I have similar thoughts about the bus & Van drivers.

I'm sure all of us with dash cams could flood the internet with the exact same videos. Not only buses but cars and trucks as well. I see it every time I get out on the road.

Just post them, sure it will stop if youtube is flooded with movies about idiot Thai drivers.

I also want a webcam, it´s totally ridiculous how some drive here in BKK.

So whats unusual about his driving, just a normal day in Thailand.

Another example of total Thailand denial. There is no rule of law. Police have no apparent mandate to protect or serve. It's a somewhat lawless environment where "everybody fends for him/herself."

Forget ethics/morality/religiosity/cognitive functioning/logic because TIT. The norms are very confusing to the average X pat. Well they are to me. I don't think I'll ever understand things like "face" or the telling of lies or enormous levels of unchecked corruption.

A spokesperson for Nakhon Chai Air Company reportedly told Thairath that the company is currently in the process of calling the driver in for a serious meeting and investigation.

I am sure they don't mean to be this harsh. They are just over reacting.

"A spokesperson for Nakhon Chai Air Company reportedly told Thairath that the company is currently in the process of calling the driver in for a serious meeting and investigation."

They also intend, supposedly, to contact the passengers for feedback as part of an evaluation of the driver and IF HE FAILS he's out.

If he fails ?? The company's reaction suggests they're looking for a reason not to take much in the way of action against him so maybe they regard his standard of driving as pretty much the norm and anyway there wasn't an accident

I wonder how they can locate the passengers and just how many would have been awake ?

This is very normal very these coach companies. Get to the destination as quickly as possible.

This guy needs jail time. What a message that would send, huh?

Fat chance i'd have thought, those uber violent section 112 violations and drug possession seem to be the only offences meriting custodial sentences here. On the topic at hand, absolutely appalling driving, hope to hear what the company does after the investigation, or if this is a case of "under the rug it goes". The roads in Thailand are a sick joke, just good the train prices and airfares are so good here so I don't have to use these death traps too often

It may take time but the increasing adoption of dashcams and smartphones uploaded to social media might actually help, some form of punishment would be good but will probably never happen.

Edited by Linesy

Agreed, an everyday occurrence. A law unto themselves. It is expected that oncoming traffic will get off the road to make way.

If you are a new driver here, and don't "get it," well, you double the hazard by failing to move off the road.

And if the road has no shoulder? Well, then everyone is just considered "unlucky" and everybody becomes another normal statistic (we had five fatal bus accidents in the country just this week alone).

Edited by Fookhaht

In Europe it would be the police who'd be interviewing this bus driver after this video, but here? .. all you get are the same-same b/s apologies from the relevant companies etc..public grovelling, then the driver is back on the road to do it all over again.

This could have been the #4 bus-crash within a week here..but we all know nothing will change to try halt this.

The Bum who posted that is dumb ,plenty of room on his LHS. Like most of those Dash Cam Clowns they drag as much out of nothing for their You Tube posting

Hey, that bus driver apparently can write in English! And the deflecting logic fits the crime. Ace, you're busted. Edited by Fookhaht

The Bum who posted that is dumb ,plenty of room on his LHS. Like most of those Dash Cam Clowns they drag as much out of nothing for their You Tube posting

And if there wasn't ' plenty of room ' LHS ?

Someone driving on their own side of the road has to react to an idiot driving on the wrong side of the road because if they didn't ... !

So this translates as dismissal then?

Don't jump to such extreme conclusions: T.I.T.

Remember, now they have to work their way through an interview with each passenger, because the video evidence is not enough.

Edited by Fookhaht

Bus drivers here are the worst! They just change lanes like they own the road, There are times I actually wish someone would go into road rage mode, pull them out and beat the crap out of them.

I have similar thoughts about the bus & Van drivers.

And me for guys driving car or motorbike because when one starts in the gross generalization must not stop rolleyes.gif

They also intend, supposedly, to contact the passengers for feedback as part of an evaluation of the driver and IF HE FAILS he's out.

If he fails ?? The company's reaction suggests they're looking for a reason not to take much in the way of action against him so maybe they regard his standard of driving as pretty much the norm and anyway there wasn't an accident

I wonder how they can locate the passengers and just how many would have been awake ?

That is exactly how I read it, I mean this video should be enough. Why contact the passengers at all ?

And if there wasn't ' plenty of room ' LHS ?

Someone driving on their own side of the road has to react to an idiot driving on the wrong side of the road because if they didn't ... !

. Well you react your way. I would have eased left and not cried in me beer over sweet <deleted>.