Thai police raise public awareness of online offenses

webfact

Police raise public awareness of online offenses

on.jpg

BANGKOK, 14 March 2016 (NNT) – The police are warning the general public to be careful of posting online and to help promote creative and beneficial uses of online media.

The Technology Crime Suppression Division’s (TCSD) superintendent Olarn Sukkasem said in a TV broadcast program some users lack the knowledge of the law on online media uses or lack the discretion which might possibly lead to the violation of the law.

He said illegal acts include the sharing and forwarding of false information via all kinds of media and the clicking of ''like'' to such postings, which might possibly be considered an offense.

Such offenses could possibly hold the wrongdoer subject to a maximum of five years in imprisonment or a maximum of 100,000 baht in fine.

However, the police cannot make arrests over online offenses without hard evidence, thus users are suggested to have discretion while consuming and deciding to share any information online, the TCSD superintendent said.

Offenses online and in social media can be reported to the TCSD, while more information regarding lawful uses of the internet can be found on www.tcsd.in.th.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-14 footer_n.gif

If you click "like" on something online it doesn't necessarily mean you are agreeing with it. Maybe you liked the comedy of how it was presented or the pretty girl in the background or even the sarcastic way it was presented.

Also, how can you know if something you shared was containing false information? Until light is shed on that topic one can only presume their may be some fact to it. Are the people supposed to believe everything the police or gov or authorities say? This is hard to swallow, especially since all of the above mentioned tend to change their tune later on. This seems to be just another way to stop people from actually thinking and having an opinion of their own. I have to wonder why my making opinions was ever in the curriculum at the last school I taught.

It's a bit like a pack of hyenas circling a pride of feeding lions. They desperately want to get in there to take the food, but haven't any idea as to how to do it, and are well aware off, and scared stiff of the likely response if they do.

Edited by JAG

"..forwarding and sharing of false information..."

Well that's TVF knackered then.

I was going to click the like button on your comment ..... but I better not ..

I did kinda like it ... well, not really like but enjoyed !! is that the same as like .... !!

oh no ... I said I enjoyed it ... am I in trouble ???

OMG !! blink.png what have I done !

Are the people supposed to believe everything the police or gov or authorities say?

I would say that is exactly the intention. While they are unable to control what people believe they are settling for making sure that people cannot express or share their disbelief.

I would tell the truth but as so often truth and Thai culture are at odds with each other, added to that mix Thainess, that is a recipe for a disaster in the making and as more and more prisons are built to accommodate the so-called online offences then we will be looking at a nation going the same way as their big neighbour .

The only problem is that as with so much here it was interesting to note that the Royal Thai Police are issuing the warning, they who are tasked with upholding the law, which unless I missed something it is not yet in LAW that free speech is banned.

If you click "like" on something online it doesn't necessarily mean you are agreeing with it. Maybe you liked the comedy of how it was presented or the pretty girl in the background or even the sarcastic way it was presented.

Also, how can you know if something you shared was containing false information? Until light is shed on that topic one can only presume their may be some fact to it. Are the people supposed to believe everything the police or gov or authorities say? This is hard to swallow, especially since all of the above mentioned tend to change their tune later on. This seems to be just another way to stop people from actually thinking and having an opinion of their own. I have to wonder why my making opinions was ever in the curriculum at the last school I taught.

Are the people supposed to believe everything the police or gov or authorities say?

post-9891-0-79140700-1457923669_thumb.jp Yes..................

Maybe The Thais have picked this up from their New Buddies.. China.

Perhaps so, but which country is it again that spies on everyone and everything and believe they need keys to iPhones etc?

All governments like to control, manipulate media and spy, but only as much as a complacent population lets them get away with. Which is why they always roll out the "doing it for your protection" bs to create fear.

Maybe The Thais have picked this up from their New Buddies.. China.

Perhaps so, but which country is it again that spies on everyone and everything and believe they need keys to iPhones etc?

All governments like to control, manipulate media and spy, but only as much as a complacent population lets them get away with. Which is why they always roll out the "doing it for your protection" bs to create fear.

Intruding on everyone's privacy - yes. And that's most emphatically nothing to be happy about. But there's a difference between that and actually suppressing free speech as the Thais are doing (just like the Chinese, N. Koreans, Muslims, and the Soviets before that, and on & on). In contrast, Obama and his administration get the full daily measure of public criticism, as did all his predecessors; in the commercial print media, the social media, broadcast media, digital media... As do the police. DOJ. IRS. You name it. Regularly. So it's not at all the same thing. Do everyone a favor & save your America-hating for another thread; there're plenty of 'em, but it's irrelevant here.

He said illegal acts include the sharing and forwarding of false information via all kinds of media and the clicking of ''like'' to such postings, which might possibly be considered an offense.

Such offenses could possibly hold the wrongdoer subject to a maximum of five years in imprisonment or a maximum of 100,000 baht in fine.

Facebook

Twitter

Forums

Instagram

Any other kinds of media?

Is email okay, Skype?

Looks like we might have to correspond via pigeon carrier's.

"Do you like my pigeon?", "No comment, I don't want to risk hard labour in the gulag"

Edited by tukkytuktuk

Perhaps they should have educated the dangers to the Thai people a year ago. Before they started putting young people and elderly people in prison for strange laws that they could not possible understand. One that stands out is the mother of a young child getting many years in prison for making a post.

Or the university lecturer and engineer 30 years (I think) for making a post. Some were prosecuted for posts they made several years ago and had forgotten about. These people are not criminals and do deserve to be in prison.

More nails in the coffin of free speech. Thailand the land of the not very free.

You forgot that 99 % of Thais are happy with the current regime?

If you don''t know ask the T V resident Anti-Thaksinistas OCDers. They will affirm that all is well in the land of the Junta.

All the ills of the country will be remedied by adjusting the attitude of those who negatively click, like, forward or share false information.

They will support pogroms and purges of those who will deviate from the official truth. There!

More nails in the coffin of free speech. Thailand the land of the not very free.

Yes...Thailand is fast aspiring to be the dreaded Big Brother. Would be scary if they were actually capable of...anything.crazy.gif

(would "Like" my own comment, but sadly not an option)clap2.gifcheesy.gif