Here we are again:new case

well in my mind she should contact friends and or family in france, get a ticket booked to go home, if it takes longer than a week, she will have to take the ban as well as the fine. what the hell is she doing in se Asia with 20 - 25,000 baht to her name

Yep. Looks like her only option.

She is up a creek without a paddle.

Don't forget that this person is quite possibly going to have to show 20k cash to the immigration office when they arrive back in Thailand.

If she doesn't have this then they will deny entry.

I suspect that the likelihood of being asked to show 20k Baht rises if you've just cleared a long overstay.

Don't forget that this person is quite possibly going to have to show 20k cash to the immigration office when they arrive back in Thailand.

I suspect that the likelihood of being asked to show 20k Baht rises if you've just cleared a long overstay.

Unless you go to certain borders that many complain about,where in fact corruption does help a case like this. If it's through an agent.

But knowing it's a money making business where they want to maximize what they make, I expect the tea money to be a considerable amount as well. Because they know you don't have options.

Or maybe its just the regular 300 baht, but I would be really surprised if that was the case.

• Like 1

Unless you go to certain borders that many complain about,where in fact corruption does help a case like this. If it's through an agent.

But knowing it's a money making business where they want to maximize what they make, I expect the tea money to be a considerable amount as well. Because they know you don't have options.

Or maybe its just the regular 300 baht, but I would be really surprised if that was the case.

You have personal experience of this? Your suggesting she can grease the wheels and all is oki doki

I remember a while ago I was doing a visa run to Poipet and one older guy that had like 5 visa exempts or something was not allowed back in. They told him to go to an airport and fly in. Where what ukrules was saying with the 20K and exit ticket comes into play.

So that's another risk to take into account.

Or they could advise you to go to the embassy and apply for a tourist visa, and I have a feeling that the visa application won't go too well.

And if you take the risk via the agent route with the tea money and you're left stranded in say Malaysia, what do you do after?

Seriously, have her call some friends or family.

You have personal experience of this? Your suggesting she can grease the wheels and all is oki doki

No, but I know most things can be "greased" in Thailand.

But even greasing it, if possible, I believe would be out of the stated budget.

The best people in the know to provide info about "greasing" are visa run companies, especially the well established ones.

Edited by lkv

No, but I know most things can be "greased" in Thailand.

But even greasing it, if possible, I believe would be out of the stated budget.

I would of thought that suggestions in a thread relate to the op. In this case some French with zip funds except for fine ....wants a solution. There is none. She is stuffed. Another loser in Thailand. Her not you

She may as well just stay and take her chances of getting caught. If she keeps the money for the overstay fine, she will be deported and she is not likely to be able to return to Thailand in the future anyways.

What about flying Nok Air to Don Mueang and after to Vientiane?Nok air seems to have cheap air ticket.Can suggest her?

1. Nok Air does not fly to Vientiane.

2. Those airlines that do now refuse to check in passengers with overstays.

3. Bearing in mind the cost of a Laos visa, this is not a cheap option from Phuket.

It is, however, only fair to acknowledge that recent reports indicate Nong Khai immigration willing to clear long overstays. This, flying to Udon and crossing to Vientiane is a plausible option, even if not the cheapest.

• Like 1

I would of thought that suggestions in a thread relate to the op. In this case some French with zip funds except for fine ....wants a solution. There is none. She is stuffed. Another loser in Thailand. Her not you

I'm not necessarely a fan of strong terminology but what I would say is: If someone's net worth after a long period of overstay is what has been described, regardless if that person has been working illegally or not, perhaps it's time for them to explore other cheaper countries or go back home and try to claim social benefits.

In all honesty.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

She may as well just stay and take her chances of getting caught. If she keeps the money for the overstay fine, she will be deported and she is not likely to be able to return to Thailand in the future anyways.

Totally wrong advice.

1. I have described above what the conditions of the IDC are. That's when you get there. That person I know spent 2 months in the police station on one of the islands because he had no money. Then 3 weeks in IDC Bangkok.

2. Understand that, if you don't have friends to pay for your ticket (which in many cases they will only accept direct and that can cost 30K easily), if you don't find the funds you will stay in IDC forever. Yes. 1 year if necessary. Until the Embassy decides to maybe fund your deportation.

So from Phuket where she need to fly where,which visa she can ask and how much she needed for sort it out all?

Perhaps, her best option would be to fly to Penang and get an SETV there (which I think she can quite easily). She could then return by train or road (avoiding Sadao). In addition to the fine, I think this would be doable for 7,000 baht.

She does need a longer term plan, though.

Edited by BritTim

well in my mind she should contact friends and or family in france, get a ticket booked to go home, if it takes longer than a week, she will have to take the ban as well as the fine. what the hell is she doing in se Asia with 20 - 25,000 baht to her name

Probably enjoying a lot of novel experiences.

Some years ago, I met an (on the surface) quiet shy American girl. At the age of 18, she boarded a flight to India with $100 in her pocket (and admittedly a return air ticket she never used). Instead, she walked into office building after office building saying she was an English teacher (no qualifications) and asking to train their staff. In the three years since then until I met her, she had traveled extensively through Asia (including Thailand) typically working a few months in each place as an English teacher before moving on. She was, of course, frequently in breach of the labor laws in the countries she visited. This will make her a desperate criminal in the eyes of many members here. Personally, I admire her, and would hire her in a minute. She shows spirit and initiative, and has life experience well in advance of her years.

Good for her BritTim, but if you don't work enough (even illegaly) and you put yourself in an overstay situation and then you can't afford to pay it off, I would say one needs to reconsider what they've been doing for the last few years. Cause it may be working for them, living from one day to the other, but IMO they should educate themselves financially more and save.

If the wage doesn't allow it...then yeah...do something else...educate yourself more....get a master degree...whatever.

You know what I mean? Otherwise you're running around in circles.

Edited by lkv

Probably enjoying a lot of novel experiences.

Some years ago, I met an (on the surface) quiet shy American girl. At the age of 18, she boarded a flight to India with $100 in her pocket (and admittedly a return air ticket she never used). Instead, she walked into office building after office building saying she was an English teacher (no qualifications) and asking to train their staff. In the three years since then until I met her, she had traveled extensively through Asia (including Thailand) typically working a few months in each place as an English teacher before moving on. She was, of course, frequently in breach of the labor laws in the countries she visited. This will make her a desperate criminal in the eyes of many members here. Personally, I admire her, and would hire her in a minute. She shows spirit and initiative, and has life experience well in advance of her years.

Good for her BritTim, but if you don't work enough (even illegaly) and you put yourself in an overstay situation and then you can't afford to pay it off, I would say one needs to reconsider what they've been doing for the last few years. Cause it may be working for them, living from one day to the other, but IMO they should educate themselves financially more and save.

If the wage doesn't allow it...then yeah...do something else...educate yourself more....get a master degree...whatever.

You know what I mean? Otherwise you're running around in circles.

So exactly how does this relate to the OP. A French chick on long overstay with just enough cash for her fine and will need to borrow more for travel etc etc. And your suggesting she obtain a masters degree. Is this fantasy island. Her best option is to either borrow to fly home or if not possible, remain here on overstay.

• Like 2

It doesn't relate to the OP, it relates to BritTim's example, that is within the topic being discussed.

We've just tried to explain to the best of our knowledge what the options are and why trying to cut corners in this type of circumstances may not be the best idea.

The OP or the OP's friend is free to make any decision that he or she sees fit, I believe that what has been discussed so far provides plenty of information.

Don't forget it's a forum so people can share their opinions.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

OK next time I run into someone on overstay in Thailand I will suggest that they return to homeland, run up a very expensive degree and come back to Los and teach for 25k

No, suggest they come back to wherever they want and try to get a better paid job if it's not paying off living expenses. Could be Thailand, Hong Kong, it doesn't matter.

When you work on 25K and your employer does not provide you with visa options, which you have to support out of your pocket (either visa run costs or overstay fines), you've got to look in perspective and wonder if it's worth it.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

Can she not cross at Satun, closer than Sadao?

The problem is not with any particular crossing to clear the overstay. The question is would they clear the overstay at that particular crossing. There are many that will not do it or at the worst arrest a person for the overstay.

Crazy question, but if she only has enough money to pay the fine, why the hell does she want to come back to Thailand? Is she working here or just begging for money? This is a crazy idea of mine but I would think that the last place you want be when you have no money is in place that doesn't allow you to earn any money.

Time traveller you are right.But as i understood she will get a job in the near future.At the present she just need to clear the overstay and back here.But how she can survive this i dont know.

In case the flight from Phuket options are still being bandied around - I just booked Phuket to KL with Malaysian Airlines on Saturday morning for 2,300 baht one way. Cheaper than the AirAsia options for a change.

Make sure you have an exit ticket from Malaysia to show, Malaysian Airlines would not let me check in one time on the Bangkok Kuala Lumpur route.

• Like 1

We can keep playing airfare games. She can fly out to this or that. Fact is she has no money other than her fine. Come back for what. Posters talking about visa exempt stamp. Ripper that gives her 30 days. Even if she can get back in living on the seat of her pants. Also leaves it to few days left. Sadly her only option to remain in Los, like many others, is to remain on overstay.

Wanting to do something and being in position to actually do it can be miles apart. Go home

At this stage, going home may be further beyond her financial resources than a border hop. Cheapest obvious option for next few days is Eurowings to Cologne-Bonn for about 15,000 baht, followed by somehow getting down to wherever she is going in France. Maybe, a last minute ticket is available, but it is not obvious.

While you are absolutely correct...Maybe...she should have considered all this 10 months ago.post-4641-1156694606.gif

• Like 1

I would recommend she immediately book an out and back same day flight to Kuala Lumpur. The late booking means it will cost extra, but she may be able to do it Friday or Saturday on Air Asia for about 4,000 baht if she books in the next few hours. Anything else is a huge risk. Lend her the flight fare if she cannot raise it. She should be ready for an interrogation reentering visa exempt just after clearing an overstay, but if she is of clean, wholesome appearance, she should be OK.

Your very generous with Ian's money,Tim.

• Like 1