Here we are again:new case

Another overstayer appear at my apt today:she is from France,and she is on 10 months overstay,but at the present day she has only the amount to pay the 20.000 baht and make a visa run.Can she clear her situation to a land border and reenter Thailand with a 30 days visa on arrival?If yes from Phuket where she will need to go?

With that amount of overstay the lady would be well advised to stay away from the Sadao border crossing which is the nearest border to Phuket.

Even if she managed to clear the overstay at that border she might (probably would) experience difficulty returning immediately using a "visa exempt" entry.

Another solution would be best.

• Like 1

I would recommend she immediately book an out and back same day flight to Kuala Lumpur. The late booking means it will cost extra, but she may be able to do it Friday or Saturday on Air Asia for about 4,000 baht if she books in the next few hours. Anything else is a huge risk. Lend her the flight fare if she cannot raise it. She should be ready for an interrogation reentering visa exempt just after clearing an overstay, but if she is of clean, wholesome appearance, she should be OK.

• Like 1

I would recommend she immediately book an out and back same day flight to Kuala Lumpur. The late booking means it will cost extra, but she may be able to do it Friday or Saturday on Air Asia for about 4,000 baht if she books in the next few hours. Anything else is a huge risk. Lend her the flight fare if she cannot raise it. She should be ready for an interrogation reentering visa exempt just after clearing an overstay, but if she is of clean, wholesome appearance, she should be OK.

Good advice Britim but I think she has troubles.

The OP mention she only had the money for her fine.(unless I misread it). Then she wants to renter on visa exempt? I hope she can show proof of funds. She may also need outbound flight to satisfy airline. (If she flies). Good timing, she leaves it till few days before new rules.

5500 from I find (assuming a reasonable time to turn around, > 2h).

And yes: absolutely do the flight!

Edited by KhunBENQ

If all the promotional fares flight only to KL are sold out, here is a counter-intuitive trick. Book a combined flight and hotel through the Air Asia website, staying one night. You will get about a 4,000 baht deal for the combination.

• Like 2

She needs to contact her family or friends in homecountry, or her embassy as a destitute person. No wonder Thailand is cracking down on what can only be described as vagabonds. No dis-respect to the people as individuals, but really it's their life and their actions that come to this situation. There is NO SAFETY NET in S.E.Asia.....

Edit to add -- sorry for the rant - but there ya go.

Meantime, the lady would do well to team up with a bunch of the Phils girls doing a border run maybe. Safety in numbers perhaps. is there not a border run from Phuket to Myanmar now?

Edited by jpinx
  • Like 2

We can keep playing airfare games. She can fly out to this or that. Fact is she has no money other than her fine. Come back for what. Posters talking about visa exempt stamp. Ripper that gives her 30 days. Even if she can get back in living on the seat of her pants. Also leaves it to few days left. Sadly her only option to remain in Los, like many others, is to remain on overstay.

Wanting to do something and being in position to actually do it can be miles apart. Go home

At this stage, going home may be further beyond her financial resources than a border hop. Cheapest obvious option for next few days is Eurowings to Cologne-Bonn for about 15,000 baht, followed by somehow getting down to wherever she is going in France. Maybe, a last minute ticket is available, but it is not obvious.

Sadao is a fairly relaxed border crossing. I suggest she takes a local Thai with her to sweet talk the immigration guys. It's more who you know than what you know that works here.

Can you provide more information ?

Where is this sweet talking Thai who is on good terms with the all theSadao IO's to be found in Phuket?

Will you personally guarantee the lady (if accompanied by a "sweet talker") can clear her overstay and immediately return visa exempt ?

Sadao is well known for being one of the most difficult borders to navigate.

Don't talk daft. I made that crossing several times without any hassle. As to a local, she must talk to any hotel reception in hat yai. And with her lack of funds there's not a lot of viable options are there?

And flying to Phuket to Don Mueang and after to Vientiane(total cost 5700 with Nok Air)can she back with 30 visa exempt?S

???

A price for a return flight Phuket / Vientiane is impossible.

Can you explain a bit.

Flying oneway and returning over land at Nong Khai?

Edited by KhunBENQ

And flying to Phuket to Don Mueang and after to Vientiane(total cost 5700 with Nok Air)can she back with 30 visa exempt?S

1. Nok Air does not fly to Vientiane.

2. Those airlines that do are reportedly refusing passengers with long overstays.

Yes, Nok Air does a fly-ride service. However, you are better off (if you want to do Vientiane) to fly to Udon with onward travel yourself. Still, from Phuket this is an expensive option bearing in mind the need for a Laos visa. On the plus side, Nong Khai immigration in recent reports seems cool about letting people clear long overstays there, unlike some other land border crossings.

We can keep playing airfare games. She can fly out to this or that. Fact is she has no money other than her fine. Come back for what. Posters talking about visa exempt stamp. Ripper that gives her 30 days. Even if she can get back in living on the seat of her pants. Also leaves it to few days left. Sadly her only option to remain in Los, like many others, is to remain on overstay.

Wanting to do something and being in position to actually do it can be miles apart. Go home

At this stage, going home may be further beyond her financial resources than a border hop. Cheapest obvious option for next few days is Eurowings to Cologne-Bonn for about 15,000 baht, followed by somehow getting down to wherever she is going in France. Maybe, a last minute ticket is available, but it is not obvious.

I agree with all your good intention ideas. Facts are.

She has 20k total ...that's it according to op.

Can work here? Doubt it. And even that takes solid block of funds behind you.

Suggestion she come back visa exempt. With zero funds to demonstrate and no onward flight would maybe not even get past airline.

Then back on visa exempt for 30 days to be on overstay again because she won't have money for extension and even if did, what next. Setv from somewhere with zero money??

She like many sadly are rooted. She won't do anything because she cannot.

• Like 1

I have seen no reports of people clearing long overstays in the southern part of the country. If in the north I would suggest the crossing at Nong Khai to Vientiane.

not disputing this but it implies you have seen no reports of people not clearing long overstays either, and presumably people have been doing that

I agree with all your good intention ideas. Facts are.

She has 20k total ...that's it according to op.

Suggestion she come back visa exempt. With zero funds to demonstrate and no onward flight would maybe not even get past airline.

• Then back on visa exempt for 30 days to be on overstay again because she won't have money for extension and even if did, what next. Setv from somewhere with zero money??
  • She like many sadly are rooted. She won't do anything because she cannot.

We are agreed that this is not a good starting point.

Her options:

• Stay here on continued overstay until arrested and placed in IDC.
  • Scrounge significant extra money in the next couple of days to return to France
  • Try to get legal using the resources at her disposal, and work from there. At least, all being well, she has a little longer to get her affairs in order and she is working from a less messed up situation.

It is a matter of choosing the least bad option.

I have seen no reports of people clearing long overstays in the southern part of the country. If in the north I would suggest the crossing at Nong Khai to Vientiane.

not disputing this but it implies you have seen no reports of people not clearing long overstays either, and presumably people have been doing that

Read the OP. My reply was to it.

"Can she clear her situation to a land border and reenter Thailand with a 30 days visa on arrival?If yes from Phuket where she will need to go? "

Look, I mean I understand money is tight and stuff, but being in Phuket here's what's gonna happen with the IDC route.

She will stay in a police station for a few weeks in Phuket if she is lucky until she gets transferred with the other offenders to Bangkok. By road. In a cage with no A/C and the sun shining above your head for hours.

Once she gets to IDC Bkk, if she is lucky to be fast tracked she will pay 11K and get out in a few days. If she wants to save money and pay 3K, that can be an option also, as long as she spends extra time in IDC at the equivalent rate of 200 baht per day.

So, let me get this right? She has 20K and that's it? She'd better call her parents or friends. Otherwise she'll be calling them to bring her food from 7-11 while in IDC, cos not everybody can eat rice with fish head soup.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

<p>

I agree with all your good intention ideas. Facts are.She has 20k total ...that's it according to op.

• Then back on visa exempt for 30 days to be on overstay again because she won't have money for extension and even if did, what next. Setv from somewhere with zero money??
  • She like many sadly are rooted. She won't do anything because she cannot.

We are agreed that this is not a good starting point.

Her options:

• Stay here on continued overstay until arrested and placed in IDC.
  • Scrounge significant extra money in the next couple of days to return to France
  • Try to get legal using the resources at her disposal, and work from there. At least, all being well, she has a little longer to get her affairs in order and she is working from a less messed up situation.
It is a matter of choosing the least bad option.

Agree. Normally I would say ...clear the overstay now and then work out step 2.

Fact is going to another country even if visa exempt for French she then in unfamiliar country, no funds etc. As we all know there have been people here on very long overstay. I didn't think I would recommend someone not clear os, but I can imagine saying to her....just stay here and keep your head down. I don't see positive options

I have first hand experience of two cases, one just as a visitor to IDC, second one as a visitor and as a liaison with that person's embassy arranging flights out.

Mark my words when I am saying that not only have I seen how they sleep on blankets on the floor 20 people in a room, but I got knowledge of all the "hotel costs" associated when residing in IDC.

I would seriously not recommend the risk.

• Like 1

So apart Sadao which solution is the best for her,border crossing and with 30 days visa stamp?

I have no idea where sunnyjim is located but I can assure you that the nearest border

to Phuket is Burma which is about 4/5 hours drive from Phuket and is the go to place that

all the visa runners use. there are several visa run agents in Phuket, might be a good idea

for this girl to contact one of them for the facts rather than the knowalls nothings on here

Visa run buses use this border run on a daily basis from Phuket leave early morning and

return same evening.

Edited by phuketjock

So apart Sadao which solution is the best for her,border crossing and with 30 days visa stamp?

I have no idea where sunnyjim is located but I can assure you that the nearest border

to Phuket is Burma which is about 4/5 hours drive from Phuket and is the go to place that

all the visa runners use. there are several visa run agents in Phuket, might be a good idea

for this girl to contact one of them for the facts rather than the knowalls nothings on here

Visa run buses use this border run on a daily basis from Phuket leave early morning and

return same evening.

Fair point. I would only counter this with saying, even without the overstay, a border hop at Ranong for a visa exempt entry is not being allowed. Maybe, an agent with connections could get around that, but it would certainly cost money.

• Like 2