Favorite coffee/shop

Spaniel

My favorite is one of maybe 20 really excellent shops up here in Chiangmai

You know with all due respect we are smack dab in the middle of what the world is calling the 3rd wave for coffee

You may have also heard the term Specialty Coffee thrown around a lot lately

Well Thailand is really doing great & positioned to do even better with the increase in the world noticing & helping them improve their beans

via education.

There are also literally hundreds of roasters now in Thailand & they bring in green beans from all over the world & roast them up so you can have it fresh!

I have had ...in no particular order

Columbian Narino Supremo

Ethiopian Yirgacheffe washed & natural

Guatemalan Huehuetenango

Tanzanian

Costa Rican

Not to mention some great Thai blends like

Phahi-Chiang Rai – 40%

Papae – Mae Tang –40%

Khun Chang Kian – Chiang Mai – 20 %

All of these are available with just a tiny bit of searching

Just search Specialty Coffee Thailand & see for your area

Bangkok especially has many great ones

If you have FB take a look at this page

They just finished having the Thai Coffee Fest & it was a great turnout

https://www.facebook.com/ThailandCoffeeFest/?fref=ts

The Thailand Barista Championships just ended the other day too

https://www.facebook.com/thaibarista/?fref=ts

Skip Starbucks & Coffee Bean for now ...they are the McDonald's of the coffee world.

Old burnt beans which yes if your drinking them in milk based drinks like Lattes you may not notice

But go get a good one & taste the difference

I know your going to like it thumbsup.gif

Start searching your area & once you find one you will find 50 because they are usually all buddies sharing info

Good Luck!

Edited by mania

There's a place in the market in Ram2 (not sure if it is still there) that's run by a lady on her own. She even makes Irish coffee with Jamesons whisky. Perfect.

Cant imagine there's a big market for Irish coffee in Ram2 but she still makes it.

Not sure about latte, but I found Cao Doi and Doi Chang coffee is very nice. Doi Chang offers much better Cappuccino than Starbucks. I always hate Starbucks Cappuccino.

Starbucks is a big rip off ! bah.gif

Totally agreed.... and I just bought myself an Ice Americano from Starbucks...

Not sure about latte, but I found Cao Doi and Doi Chang coffee is very nice. Doi Chang offers much better Cappuccino than Starbucks. I always hate Starbucks Cappuccino.

Starbucks is a big rip off ! bah.gif

Why do you say Starbucks is a big rip off but you don't mention Coffee World, Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf and others whose prices are the same as Starbucks or more? What exactly is the "rip off"? Their service is outstanding, the shops, at least the ones I have been in, are all comfortable and well maintained. The prices are all listed on the menu board so if you think it's to expensive for you then you have the option to go elsewhere. So, can you explain where the "rip off" is?

The fancier the coffee shop, the less chance to get a coffee.

First and foremost, coffee is a hot drink. If you want something cold, try a beer. It needs to be strong, black and sugar is allowed. Poured by myself for right dosage.

"Latte" is German slang for a hard-on. Think about that upon your next order.

A very pleasant and reasonably priced coffee shop sits at a most unlikely site: the corner of Sukhumvit Rd and Suk. Soi-7, below the Nana BTS, on the other side of the intersection from the BTS escalator.

It is run by one of the Royal projects. The coffee shop is on the ground floor and above are areas where regional handcrafts are sold.

All the usual varieties of coffee and tea drinks are sold, my hot latte was B50, about half the price of other area coffee shops. There is an outside seating area overlooking Sukhumvit and an air conditioned inside area with 4 or 5 tables.

Many of you have probably walked by this shop many times and never noticed it as it has minimal signage.

A very pleasant shelter from the heat and noise of Sukhumvit.

I have noticed this place but never stopped. Next time I'm in town I'll give them a try.

First and foremost, coffee is a hot drink. If you want something cold, try a beer. It needs to be strong, black and sugar is allowed. Poured by myself for right dosage.

"Latte" is German slang for a hard-on. Think about that upon your next order.

Who drinks hot beverages in Thailand?

Interesting tidbit about the German meaning of Latte. I went and found this: http://andrewhammel.typepad.com/german_joys/2005/06/german_word_of__1.html

For me it is all about the caffè latte, and I can't drink milk so it has to be soymilk. Most coffee vendors just say "huh?" when I mention soymilk. When I translate it to Thai (nom tua leuang) I get the usual "no have" or "mai mii". At Starbucks, the reply is "Yes, of course."

I can't recall it's name but in Bkk down along Suk soi 19 is a little place I like..., it's not far down from Robinsons on the same side.

I think they use an Itallian blend and can even do an espresso !

wai.gif

double T.

they had a soi 11 shop right across the street from my house for a couple years, was sad to see them close it.

i used to drink coffee everyday while the girls played with my daughter

• 1 year later...

I Don't get it.

Imported a Krups coffee machine 400 euro (16k THB) with bean grinder, I can make any kind of coffee I like.

After trying many coffee brands import my preferred beans from home country.

My wife sometimes gets a coffee at Amazon, I walk by.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 3/17/2016 at 3:47 PM, Sandy Freckle said:

I can't recall it's name but in Bkk down along Suk soi 19 is a little place I like..., it's not far down from Robinsons on the same side.
wai.gif

It might be "On Nineteen"  coffee shop.      Next to a 7 Eleven and about 25 M before  the Honey Hotel.

By far the best coffee I have tasted in Thailand is served at the

Sandwich Shoppe Cafe' & Bar in Patong, Phuket. They also have

delicious smoothies, made to order Sandwiches, full bar service,

and Thai menu.

All the usual coffee variations served from Espresso through Capo

to Caramel Macchiato. Great Coffee..............:coffee1:

6 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

By far the best coffee I have tasted in Thailand is served at the

Sandwich Shoppe Cafe' & Bar in Patong, Phuket. They also have

delicious smoothies, made to order Sandwiches, full bar service,

and Thai menu.

All the usual coffee variations served from Espresso through Capo

to Caramel Macchiato. Great Coffee..............:coffee1:

Is that you Jim? :)

17 hours ago, Spaniel said:

It might be "On Nineteen"  coffee shop.      Next to a 7 Eleven and about 25 M before  the Honey Hotel.

Yes it is "On Nineteen" ..., do you know what happened to the original guy who set it up..., I think a guy from Queensland and his wife, a Thai lady ? 

On 3/17/2016 at 4:47 PM, Sandy Freckle said:

wai.gif

Double T i suspect. 

I had one across the srtreet from me on soi 11 for a breif period, was sad to see tbem pull up stakes to make way for a 7/11

On 4/10/2017 at 7:25 AM, Sandy Freckle said:

Yes it is "On Nineteen" ..., do you know what happened to the original guy who set it up..., I think a guy from Queensland and his wife, a Thai lady ? 

I have only been in On Nineteen a few times and don't know anything about the owners although their is a attractive Thai girl working there who I think is the current owner.

If you or anybody is in Sattahip Chonburi go for "Coffee Lovers! Sukumvit Road, Americano superb!

Had a Black Canyon effort in Central Plaza Pattaya Today as usual consistently awful, but it's my place of rest waiting for the wife to finish her frock shop expeditions, so can't complain don't like Starbucks at all! just my two pennuth i'm no expert in coffee, I much prefer English Tea which is hard to get outside of a home brew,

The ladyboy at the stand near the temple in Chaiyaphum where they keep the turtles. It's a motorcycle stand. I swear, I thought she was a butch lesbian. She was sassy as all hell according to my wife. Really cute, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk