Expats: Where Have You NOT Been in Thailand?

Fabricus

If you've been here for a while you've probably traveled a fair bit and seen a few places. But where have you not been.

Me:

1. The far north. I've never been further north than Chiang Mai. One day I'd like to see Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Son.

2. The Andaman Coast (except for Ranong and that nifty boat trip to Burma). I've seen the Gulf Coast from Phetburi down to Malaysia.

3. Lower Isaan: the Khmer-speaking provinces of Buriram, Surin and Sri Saket.

4. Rayong and all points south of Pattaya.

5. Sukhothai.

Of all the places I've yet to visit, Satun is nearest and at the top of my list.

Edited by Fabricus

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 11 years i have never been to Pattaya. Nor do i wish to. Im not knocking it, but it's not really my idea of a fun place.

I have a friend who finds this fact unbelievable.

Your post is in the wrong topic. "What are the biggest lies farang tell each other?" is the right one ! :P

Been most places! Satun? The sea and islands beautiful; however Morning Prayers suggest you avoid any hotel near a mosque. Deafening. Koh Kabaeng is nice.

Only largeish place I think, now, I have not been to is Betong. Would not go back to Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat for obvious reasons. And one of the interesting questions is: To where do you or would you go back? The East coast, anyway S of Nakhon Si Thammarat is of no interest to me. Nor is the coast S of Ranong. Nor The Eastern Seaboard. The Burmese Islands however are a different issue. You should definitely go to Mae Hong Son and if adventurous down to Umphang. All closes at 17.00!. Avoid Pai unless unsavoury "clubbing", well sort of, is to your taste. Fang is interesting as is Doi Salong. Nan is well worth a visit. Interesting temple with murals of farang; good river. Sukothai? I would go to Si Satchanalai which I find more interesting.Great thing about Thailand is that most place are 1 hour on the plane for a pittance! Have you been to Prachinburi. Some parts very remote, though close to Khao Yai and BKK.

You set me thinking where therefore are my favourite places? I would say Krabi and Trang, because I love the sea and Mukdahan and Nakhon Phanom for the stunning Maenam Kong. Least favourite: Anywhere in the BKK metropolis, Phuket, The eastern Seaboard and ChiangMai.

About the only place I have not explored is the province of Chantaburi....and the smaller islands around Ko Chang.......Pretty much been everywhere else.

I've heard good things about Chantaburi. There's a couple of old forts there, complete with 18th century British cannon.

noen-wong-fort-03.jpg

Been most places! Satun? The sea and islands beautiful; however Morning Prayers suggest you avoid any hotel near a mosque. Deafening. Koh Kabaeng is nice.

Only largeish place I think, now, I have not been to is Betong. Would not go back to Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat for obvious reasons. And one of the interesting questions is: To where do you or would you go back? The East coast, anyway S of Nakhon Si Thammarat is of no interest to me. Nor is the coast S of Ranong. Nor The Eastern Seaboard. The Burmese Islands however are a different issue. You should definitely go to Mae Hong Son and if adventurous down to Umphang. All closes at 17.00!. Avoid Pai unless unsavoury "clubbing", well sort of, is to your taste. Fang is interesting as is Doi Salong. Nan is well worth a visit. Interesting temple with murals of farang; good river. Sukothai? I would go to Si Satchanalai which I find more interesting.Great thing about Thailand is that most place are 1 hour on the plane for a pittance! Have you been to Prachinburi. Some parts very remote, though close to Khao Yai and BKK.

You set me thinking where therefore are my favourite places? I would say Krabi and Trang, because I love the sea and Mukdahan and Nakhon Phanom for the stunning Maenam Kong. Least favourite: Anywhere in the BKK metropolis, Phuket, The eastern Seaboard and ChiangMai.

Interesting.

I too have not been to Betong, but consider points south of NST to be among the most interesting in Thailand.

Did you get to see Samui back in the days when it was just about worth visiting? These days it's a dump.

If Sri Satchanalai interests you, check out a Brit called Reginald Le May and his discovery of the Valley of the Kilns.

Agree with you re: Mukdahan. Nong Khai is similar. Nice climate up there by the river.

Edited by Fabricus

In 8 years, I've never been to Isaan, Kanchanaburi, Koh Yao (Yai or Noi) nor Koh Phi Phi.

Of those, I really should go to Isaan, keep planning a trip to Udon and the surroundings, should probably go to Kanchanaburi, and have no interest in going to Phi Phi. Will head to Koh Yao one day, but no rush.

In 11 years i have never been to Pattaya. Nor do i wish to. Im not knocking it, but it's not really my idea of a fun place.

How do you know if you've never been there?wink.png

Been in Thailand 5 years and never been to Pattaya, or even anywhere that side of Thailand.

In fact there are many places I am still to visit.

I've travelled a lot from Phetchaburi down to the south, but some places I would still like to visit is Pai, Koh Chang, Chiang Rai, Koh Samet and Similian islands

I've been to Chiang Mai

I've been to Chiang Rai

I crossed the ocean for a heart of gold.

I've been in my mind,

It's such a fine line

That keeps me searching for a heart of gold.

I live near Neal Y., il pass it on...

In 8 years, I've never been to Isaan, Kanchanaburi, Koh Yao (Yai or Noi) nor Koh Phi Phi.

Of those, I really should go to Isaan, keep planning a trip to Udon and the surroundings, should probably go to Kanchanaburi, and have no interest in going to Phi Phi. Will head to Koh Yao one day, but no rush.

u should Katchanburi and Isaan are Great

In 7 years I've only left Bangkok 4 times to go somewhere else in Thailand.

Once to spend the weekend at the Royal Cliff in Pattaya, once to spend Xmas with my sister in Phuket, once to spend a weekend at a resort on Koh Chang, and once to Pranburi to a resort there.

The only reason I made those 4 trips was that someone else was paying for me to go with them.

edited... to add....

Prior to moving here to live I had visited Thailand many times and been to Phuket a few times, Kanchanaburi and Koh Pi Pi. But again always paid for either my parents (when I was a kid) or when I was older paid for by my girlfriend at the time.

I must admit I prefer Bangkok to the rest of the country.

Edited by seancbk

Mae Hong Son is well worth a visit. I haven't been to Loei. Been to Songkhla but nowhere else in the far south. Been to Pattaya a few times when friends lived there. No intention of going back. Ditto Phuket and Samui. Pai is well past its sell by unfortunately and I hear overrun with Chinese now. Haven't been to the far north much.

Been most of everywhere except some islands and the far South, turned right and headed for Krabi when I started seeing all mosque signs.

Not been to Nan which I want to do next year on the bike.

Maybe it's just me but many places you drive/ride through look the same, and I have ended up a lot places I didn't really want to go to by following the road signs. laugh.png

Been in Thailand 5 years and never been to Pattaya, or even anywhere that side of Thailand.

In fact there are many places I am still to visit.

I've travelled a lot from Phetchaburi down to the south, but some places I would still like to visit is Pai, Koh Chang, Chiang Rai, Koh Samet and Similian islands

Yep, the Similan Islands look great. A couple of years back I was paid quite a lot of money to write an article about them. The article turned out fine, but to this day I've never been there.

Nearby is Richelieu Rock, one of the finest dive sites in the world. Slightly further north are the idyllic Surin Islands and their little sea gypsy communities.

Krabi and Koh Chang.I will this year though!

and also Koh Tao, I will get there just for curiosity for a brief visit, and a few small and obscure islands.

Pattani, Yala, Songkhla, which I will not bother going to.

I have never been to any of the Islands, I was thinking of flying down to Phuket, read about it, but I was put

off by the transport situation, and cheating tuk tuk drivers.

Edited by possum1931

Been around a bit but still many places to visit! It could take forever.

Been as far south as Krabi. As far North as Pai. As far North East as Mukdahan. Still to discover the wild West.

This rotation I saw s few places....Mukdahan, Savannakhet in Laos, Nakhon Phanom, Ubon. Flying visit for visa but nice to see other places.

Lived here over 10 years. Been to all the places previously mentioned, EXCEPT for Kanchanaburi. Recently crossed it off my list after recently reading how overrun it has become by tourists, touts, noisy floating restaurants/bars, unchecked growth, etc.--basically diminishing the solemn, reflective place that it should be. Just my slightly-informed opinion. Anyone want to try to convince me to go?

Lived here over 10 years. Been to all the places previously mentioned, EXCEPT for Kanchanaburi. Recently crossed it off my list after recently reading how overrun it has become by tourists, touts, noisy floating restaurants/bars, unchecked growth, etc.--basically diminishing the solemn, reflective place that it should be. Just my slightly-informed opinion. Anyone want to try to convince me to go?

I'd say you were misinformed.