I Overstayed By Accident.

Hi.

For some bizarre reason I had it in my mind that I was supposed to do my 90 day reporting later this month, and I was totally wrong.

In fact, I was supposed to have done it by 28th Feb so at the time of typing that puts me 16 days over, what can I expect to be hit for when I get to immigration tomorrow,.

The wife just looked at the actual website of Korat immigration which seems to suggest a 2000 baht fine if you report 'voluntarily' more than 7 days late and 4000 baht if you are arrested.

I am a 1 year non imm O visa holder. There sems to be manyu different types of fine for different scenarios. I was actually of the opinion that is was 500 baht for each day over, with a maximum of 20,000 baht. But that appears to be for those at the exit point leaving the country with an overstay on their visa.

Would be grateful for some help here. Yes, I know I am stupid scenile old sod. smile.png

Edited by Brewster67

For not doing your 90 day report in time there is a 2,000 baht fine.

I am still not clear if you are on overstay or not. What is the date on your stamp or extension of stay?

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

• If you were are a 1 year non 'O' visa holder you wouldn't be making 90 day reports. You have a 1 year extension of stay.

You will be fined 2,000 baht for reporting late.

All that will happen when you report is they will give you a receipt and stamp your passport confirming the late report and fine paid.

There are no consequences to reporting late other than the fine.

90 day reporting has nothing to do with your permission to stay, and you have only overstayed if your 1 year permit has expired.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

Nothing really to worry. Happens to almost everyone when they do the first extension and don't realize, the visa/extension and 90 days report count separately. Been there, paid 2000B, done. Next time you know :)

• Like 2

Nothing really to worry. Happens to almost everyone when they do the first extension and don't realize, the visa/extension and 90 days report count separately. Been there, paid 2000B, done. Next time you know smile.png

From the second extension.

The first counts as a 90 day report.

It gets all mixed up when people start travelling out of Thailand.

As I too am getting a bit senile, I always quickly plug the renewal date into my email calendar.

I then get an email a few days prior and annoying messages on my smart phone.

I then put my passport on the table as a constant visual reminder. (I still go to immigration to do the 90 day reporting).

• Like 1

As I too am getting a bit senile, I always quickly plug the renewal date into my email calendar.

I then put my passport on the table as a constant visual reminder. (I still go to immigration to do the 90 day reporting).

Yes, these days technology provides an abundance of reminder apps on all the devices we've accumulated ... as long as you remind yourself to enter the new dates when you come back from doing the current report.

There's even an old fashioned stand alone app that you can use alongside your desktop computer.

m4gvdeYlIMpss70NgS1tAJA.jpg

• Like 2

buy a calender,hang it on the wall, put in dates for 90 day reporting,

date for your extension, only takes minutes and could save you a lot

of money in fines.

regards worgeordie

Thanks for that great advice, Mr Clock. Maybe if he send you his mobile number you can call him one day before, his expiry date.

Nothing really to worry. Happens to almost everyone when they do the first extension and don't realize, the visa/extension and 90 days report count separately. Been there, paid 2000B, done. Next time you know :)

that almost happened to me. i assumed my 90 day report would end when my extension ended and started again with the renewal.... errr? nope! had to visit immigration twice in 3 weeks.

Nothing really to worry. Happens to almost everyone when they do the first extension and don't realize, the visa/extension and 90 days report count separately. Been there, paid 2000B, done. Next time you know smile.png

In my case I got the under consideration stamp, flew out and got the extension 2 weeks after returning. They counted the 1 month "consideration period" as first extension, not the real one later, thus I was 2 weeks late that time. It's silly bureaucracy but they make quite a bit of money from it.

In my case I got the under consideration stamp, flew out and got the extension 2 weeks after returning. They counted the 1 month "consideration period" as first extension, not the real one later, thus I was 2 weeks late that time. It's silly bureaucracy but they make quite a bit of money from it.

You did an extension application that was accepted. That is when the count for the 90 day report count starts. What they did was correct and normal.

The under consideration period is not an extension. The extension you applied for started at the end of permit to stay you had at the time.

You did an extension application that was accepted. That is when the count for the 90 day report count starts. What they did was correct and normal.

The under consideration period is not an extension. The extension you applied for started at the end of permit to stay you had at the time.

Yes, certainly was correct, not complaining :). It's just a bit tricky to get it all right the first time...

Sometimes the memory just isn't good enough or something happens so you forget what you should do. During the 2011 flood I forgot to get the extension so I ended up with a 44 day overstay, we had 10cm water on the second floor the day my admittance to stay ended...

I have a related question concerning 90 day an 1 year visa renewal. I exited Thailand and based on reentry date I would need to report by 22 May. My Visa is good through the 27th of May.

I plan to go to immigration in CM on the 19th to renew the visa. Not sure how many days ahead of expiration they allow you to renew but figure that's safe.

So does the renewal then reset the 90 day clock for notifications? Logically it should but would be good to know for sure.

Thanks in advance!

I have a related question concerning 90 day an 1 year visa renewal. I exited Thailand and based on reentry date I would need to report by 22 May. My Visa is good through the 27th of May.

I plan to go to immigration in CM on the 19th to renew the visa. Not sure how many days ahead of expiration they allow you to renew but figure that's safe.

So does the renewal then reset the 90 day clock for notifications? Logically it should but would be good to know for sure.

Thanks in advance!

As said before only the first extension of stay is considered a 90 day report.

You can apply for an extension of stay up to 30 days early. You can do a 90 day report 15 days early.

You could do the extension and 90 day report together as early as Monday the 9th of May if you wanted to.

Thanks in advance!

• You can report within 15 days of the due date.
  • You can apply to renew your extension of stay 30/45 days before the due date.
  • When you go on the 19th you need to make a 90 day report separate to your extension application, but can do them both on the same day.
  • The extension renewal will not reset the report date UNLESS the IO gives you a new report date.
  • The next report date should be 90 days from the 19th. The 19th being day 1.

of money in fines.

regards worgeordie

to which I might add that Thai Visa has produce a rather nice calendar. Just check your ink supplies before you start printing.

90 day reporting is very confusing. It has nothing to do with "overstay", which is staying longer than the date of the permission-to-stay stamp based on your visa.

It is important to understand the 90-day reporting dates properly.

1. If you remain in the country - for whatever reason - the cycle of 90 days starts from the date you last entered the country. So use a date calculator to work out what the "reporting date" is.

2. Now the date you need to report your current address is between 15 calendar days before the reporting date and up 7 days after. You can't do it earlier. If you are later than 7 days after the reporting date then you get fined 2,000 baht. If the 7th day happens to be a Saturday, Sunday or government holiday then you will get fined. If you arrive too late in the morning (i.e. anytime after 7am usually) and all the queue slots for that day have been used up then you have to come the next day, and you will be fined if you have missed the 7-day deadline.

3. You can also do it online. But you only have a one-week window in which you can do this. The first date is 15 days before the reporting date up till 7 days before the reporting date. If you don't do it on time (i.e. at least 7 days before the reporting date then you will have to go in and do it in person.

4. You can also do it by mail, but you must post the application no less than 15 days prior to the reporting date (see this TV post for more details). Make sure to send it by EMS so you have proof of sending. You should get a receipt within a few days. If not then you should revert to online or in-person reporting to be sure.

5. What most people get confused about is when the subsequent 90-day report dates are. It is not 180/270 days from your last date of entry. The next report date is 90 days after the last report date. So if you do your 90-day report 7 days before then your next report date will be 7 days earlier. Similarly if you happen to make it on the 7th day after your report date then your next report date will be 7 days later. Use a date calendar to be sure that you have the right date. For the 90-day report by mail, I'm guessing that your next report date will be 90 days after the date of the receipt (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

6. Finally, the moment you leave the country then you are no longer required to do the 90-day report. It all starts again from zero, starting from the date you next re-enter the country.

As for making sure you don't forget (very easy to do!) always enter your next report date as an appointment in Outlook calendar or Google calendar or your To Do app or on your phone... and make sure that the reminder feature is either 2 weeks before your report date if you plan on doing it online, or 7 days before if you plan to go in. If your calendar/to-do app doesn't have an early reminder feature then set another reminder/appointment to yourself warning you that the 90-day report is due in 14 (or 7) days' time...

wai2.gif

Edited by RapidMethod

of money in fines.

regards worgeordie

Thanks for that great advice, Mr Clock. Maybe if he send you his mobile number you can call him one day before, his expiry date.

Maybe if you, for your part, were to send me your mobile number plus latest expiry date, I would probably take great delight in calling you 8 days afterwards!tongue.png

Yes, these days technology provides an abundance of reminder apps on all the devices we've accumulated ... as long as you remind yourself to enter the new dates when you come back from doing the current report.

There's even an old fashioned stand alone app that you can use alongside your desktop computer.

m4gvdeYlIMpss70NgS1tAJA.jpg

I got one of those too exactly where you suggest! Courtesy of Bangkok Bank.

But for those nagging reminder emails and those months I forget to flick over the desk one, my laptop works as brain substitute.

The passport does not get put away until reminder is plugged in! (Or written in).