Tipping for 1 drink

I generally tip a minimum of 20 baht, unless the service is really bad. I often like to go on a pub crawl like you speak of.

If I have a large bar tab and they bring me back 4- ten baht coins along with numerous other bills, I just take all the change and leave no tip. I really hate when they do that and think that I am a stupid tourist who doesn't know the value of the coins. I f they just bought me my proper change in bill form, they would get a lot more.

I think they're trying to make it easy for you to leave a tip, and perhaps suggesting how much they think it should be.

At least you can decide how much to tip - it's annoying if the bill is THB 100 and they bring back 4 x 100 in change from a THB 500 note.

I'd prefer 3 x 100 + 4 x 20 + 2 x 10; then I can decide whether to tip 10, 20,...

If it comes back 3 x 100 + 2 x 50 I'll rummage in my pocket for shrapnel or scoop the lot.

SC

you have a very different interpretation than me. Why on earth do i need 4 ten baht coins to make change on a 1000+ baht bill?

Presumably they were hoping for a 40B tip.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally tip a minimum of 20 baht, unless the service is really bad. I often like to go on a pub crawl like you speak of.

If I have a large bar tab and they bring me back 4- ten baht coins along with numerous other bills, I just take all the change and leave no tip. I really hate when they do that and think that I am a stupid tourist who doesn't know the value of the coins. I f they just bought me my proper change in bill form, they would get a lot more.

I think they're trying to make it easy for you to leave a tip, and perhaps suggesting how much they think it should be.

At least you can decide how much to tip - it's annoying if the bill is THB 100 and they bring back 4 x 100 in change from a THB 500 note.

I'd prefer 3 x 100 + 4 x 20 + 2 x 10; then I can decide whether to tip 10, 20,...

If it comes back 3 x 100 + 2 x 50 I'll rummage in my pocket for shrapnel or scoop the lot.

SC

you have a very different interpretation than me. Why on earth do i need 4 ten baht coins to make change on a 1000+ baht bill?

Why do I NEVER get this nonsense in the places I drink?

Pattanakarn, Pra Ram 9, Lat Prao, SriNakarin, Bang Kapi just to name a few.

Bringing back 4 x 100 baht notes is very common in Thai areas, karaoke bars are different.

Personally I do not understand why folks need advice on whether to tip or not. Entirely up to you, no tip or tip too much, stop worrying about it.

For me when i used to go bar to bar i would rarely tip unless staying for more than a couple. Now i tend to stay in 1 place for the night and the tip depends entirely on the service, which is generally always good, but this is away from the tourist areas..

Personally I do not understand why folks need advice on whether to tip or not. Entirely up to you, no tip or tip too much, stop worrying about it.

For me when i used to go bar to bar i would rarely tip unless staying for more than a couple. Now i tend to stay in 1 place for the night and the tip depends entirely on the service, which is generally always good, but this is away from the tourist areas..

but this is away from the tourist areas..

Aint that the truth, plus you will NEVER hear such derogatory phrases like, Cheap Chalee, farang kee nok, kee niaw etc etc.

Heck I have given tips when the girls have told me, enough enough, no need for any more.

Amazes me why farangs would sit in drink in an area where there is no respect whatsover, they are treated to crap service no Thai man would ever put up with, and subjected to language no Thai girl would dare use to a Thai man.

Amazes me why farangs would sit in drink in an area where there is no respect whatsover, they are treated to crap service no Thai man would ever put up with, and subjected to language no Thai girl would dare use to a Thai man.

This is actually a good observation.

Also amazing is that farangs generally don't see the line "you're a handsum man" as the insult it is. Most farangs are so dumb they think it's a compliment.

A Thai girl -- whether a hooker or otherwise -- would never shout this out to a Thai man.

Farangs who've been told they're "handsum" almost always fail to understand that they've been singled out as marks, saps or suckers.

Only a gormless-looking prick gets told he's "handsum", and only an even bigger prick fails to see the gravity of the insult.

@ Hjernestimulanz

A man walked into a BAR - an IRON BAR

OUCH

ok old man

Thanks for the unsolicited, ad hominum attack

This "old man" bench presses 300 pounds

And I would tip 20 - 50 baht for one drink only - to respect your query

All the Best

Most of the plates are in kilograms thankfully but good on you for your impressive strength. I can only hope achieve that much weight pressed.

i am rich and usually tip 1000 baht, but it's weird how so many women follow me home

i must be very hansum!!!!

they are poor, you are rich, don't be cheapcharlie....help them and you can afford 1000 baht tip!!!!

or stay at home

And remember that in many entertainment establishments there is no salary at all*, so the 'workers' depend totally on tips.

*Possible illegal, at least immoral, but that's the way it is.

I give a tip for anything ONLY when the service is over and above the call of duty. It is MY right to make that judgment and to offer a tip, not for the customer to expect one. And this not just for Thailand!!

@ Hjernestimulanz

A man walked into a BAR - an IRON BAR

OUCH

ok old man

Thanks for the unsolicited, ad hominum attack

This "old man" bench presses 300 pounds

And I would tip 20 - 50 baht for one drink only - to respect your query

All the Best

50 bath is alot of % if you only pay 80 baht, dont you think?

If I frequent the bar, I always tip--it usually ensures great service and attitude; if it doesn't, I don't frequent that bar any more.

If I am just in search of a good bar, I stay for more than one drink; and tip according to the service and attitude I receive.

If my bar bill is B80--which is rare--and I got good service/attitude, I would pay with a B100 note and allow them to keep the change. If I did not get good service/attitude, I would wait for the exact change.

Always.I tip 20 baht even if i only have one drink.It makes for a nice Sawadee krap when i come back on another night for a few more.All these tips do add up as the op said.The tips go into a pool and are shared out at the closing of the bar.I tip accordingly to the amount i drink.Usually 10/15% of the total bin.I dont begrudge 20 baht for a one drink.

Always.I tip 20 baht even if i only have one drink.It makes for a nice Sawadee krap when i come back on another night for a few more.All these tips do add up as the op said.The tips go into a pool and are shared out at the closing of the bar.I tip accordingly to the amount i drink.Usually 10/15% of the total bin.I dont begrudge 20 baht for a one drink.

If I suspect that the money I give for PERSONAL service goes into a "pool" to be shared later with those who don't care about decent service then nobody gets anything, good service or not!

90 baht beer I leave the 10 baht change from my 100 baht note. I think 10 baht tip for one small beer and one minute of work is enough. If that beer was a large Leo and the girl was putting ice in my beer and topping it off every 5 minutes then that's a different story, perhaps 20 baht.

Had a bar pig give me a dirty look once when I only left 10 baht and I said oh sorry and picked up the 10 baht and walked out. She thought I was going to give more hahaha.... She didn't know what to think :)

I also love to see those nasty girls hanging around guys begging for drinks and giving the dirty looks and talking crap when they don't get.... Hahaha

Something for nothing is what they want.

i dont tip girls to sit looking into a phone all night, they dont pay me to sit looking at mine.

....and! i dont pay bush monkeys to feed their own elephant... i asked the ones in buriram to pay me to feed my 2 dogs... i didnt get any money.

If I go into a bar while in Pattaya with my Farang mates in order to go onstage and play and sing with the live band, I only have a glass of water (I don't drink).

After paying about 50 Bt for it, do you really think I should tip?

Sure.

Most do but make sure the tip is at least 200 Bht minimum or you will earn the C.C. award.

you are a funny old man

Yep ! Funny but less of the "old" please ------Boy !

When in Bars drinking the one drink, take great care not to offend people, it could result in great pain.

What about people who do not drink alcohol, but enjoy going to a bar for the entertainment and company?

Do you think they should have drink after drink of water or orange juice especially with the very high and over inflated prices of these drinks?

Sure.

Most do but make sure the tip is at least 200 Bht minimum or you will earn the C.C. award.

you are a funny old man

Yep ! Funny but less of the "old" please ------Boy !

When in Bars drinking the one drink, take great care not to offend people, it could result in great pain.

What about people who do not drink alcohol, but enjoy going to a bar for the entertainment and company?

Do you think they should have drink after drink of water or orange juice especially with the very high and over inflated prices of these drinks?

Bars cost money to run. Why should you get a free ride?

This is actually a good observation.

Also amazing is that farangs generally don't see the line "you're a handsum man" as the insult it is. Most farangs are so dumb they think it's a compliment.

A Thai girl -- whether a hooker or otherwise -- would never shout this out to a Thai man.

Farangs who've been told they're "handsum" almost always fail to understand that they've been singled out as marks, saps or suckers.

Only a gormless-looking prick gets told he's "handsum", and only an even bigger prick fails to see the gravity of the insult.

"Only a gormless-looking prick gets told he's "handsum", and only an even bigger prick fails to see the gravity of the insult"

You seem to be obsessed by a guys private parts.

i am rich and usually tip 1000 baht, but it's weird how so many women follow me home

i must be very hansum!!!!

they are poor, you are rich, don't be cheapcharlie....help them and you can afford 1000 baht tip!!!!

or stay at home

And remember that in many entertainment establishments there is no salary at all*, so the 'workers' depend totally on tips.

*Possible illegal, at least immoral, but that's the way it is.

and what does that say about the owners of these establishments? Capitalist b@stards.

If you don't tip, your server or their child/children may miss a meal if there are cheap charlies in the bar! Does that answer your question?

No, blame the Capitalist owners of these establishments, for not paying decent wages, not the "cheap charlies".