Urgently need help to look after my dog! (temporarily)

thetravelex

“My” dog (Lucky) has got the parvo virus and is currently under observation with 50/50% chance of survival. Just yesterday, his little brother died in my flat from the virus, and I have since found out that another 3 dogs in the same litter have also died in the last 5 days….

The most upsetting thing for me in all this, is that the family who actually own the dogs, do not care. Lucky is simply seen as accessory and left to eat out of the bins and was infested with fleas before I took him under my wing.

Lucky’s baby brother who died in my flat, was collected by his ‘owner’ after he had passed and chucked in a plastic bag and taken away without a shred of emotion or respect for a dog who has basically been my best friend for the last month

I have to leave for my Visa run on the 17th (two days time) and as yet, I have been unable to find accommodation for Lucky whilst I am away.

The reality is — unless I find a place for him to stay, he will die. And I can't allow that to happen.

I literally beg anyone who lives in Chiang Mai who is able to look after Lucky whilst I am away to get in touch. The virus is contagious for other animals, so he will need to be isolated and will require another 3 trips to the hospital to finish his course of antibiotics. I will provide a dog bed and some toys, but all he really needs is someone to be there for him and give him some attention and cuddles…

If you can help in anyway. Please message me. I am staying in Suthep, but I can drop him off to you before I leave

post-239949-0-53417300-1458036108_thumb.

Is that the family who actually own the dogs, do not care. - Sounds like the average type of Thai dog owners. If you`re shocked then you must be new to these here parts.

You are in a very precarious situation. If the (not so lucky) dog remains at the vet`s he would have to be placed in isolation and not sure if many vets would be willing to take that on or have the facilities to accommodate a dog with a highly contagious viral disease and doubt if anyone else would want to take that on. I recommend you contact these people without delay - http://banmhakamaew.com/about_en.php

Ask for Dr Chakkrit who speaks perfect English and is usually there in the mornings from 9.30am up to about lunchtime. Don`t expect cheap but if you care about the dog, get your finger on those phone keys and call tomorrow. morning.

Maybe another option........ many Grooming shop around where I live will look after a dog for a day or 2, out in the stick around me cost 100 - 150 baht per 24 hrs.

3 km away is a large house with a board outside [been going many years] Dog Hotel, maybe something like that in your area ?

I think most vets can look after your dog while you are away. Dogs sick from parvo is very common. The smaller clinics could be cheaper, but the small animal hospital is usually reasonably priced.

Cheaper (and cheaper looking) vet clinics outside of center could help you with this, as parvo is common.

A friend of my GF had a dog with parvo that never got well even after hospital treatments, spending thousands of baht .

Then she bought a bottle of "Flying rabbit" for 40 baht and fed the dog, and it got better in a day. Some kind of med used for stomach ulcer.

Is there blood in the feces? Loosing blood and water seem to be the biggest factors of death. If it does not drink you can put some liquid or goat milk on the lips to make sure it gets a little liquid when it licks the lips.

My old girl was a stray when she showed up at my Moms doorstep....11months old and pregnant and sick with parvo....She had to be hydrated every two hours with electrolytes via a syringe into her mouth...after a week she got better and the 10 lb dog had 5 puppies....she will be 14 soon......So with the right care Lucky can survive. Good Luck.......

Edited by NickJ

chiang mai - mae rim animal hospital just up 107 opposite the golf course has an isolation area.. they will care for a parvo dog

and their fees are reasonable. give them a call at 053408368 or 053220478. they have a dog ambulance and can pick up. you
might need a thai speaker to help but the vets speak some english. hope lucky is ok.

edited phone number..

Edited by tigergrl