R Airlines announces new Don Mueang - Surin flights in a bid to lure Chinese tourists

snoop1130

R Airlines announces new Don Mueang - Surin flights in a bid to lure Chinese tourists
Kwaang Siripoom

post-249866-0-84350100-1458037847_thumb.
Image: Khaosod.co.th

SURIN:— Skyview Airways, operator of low cost carrier R Airlines, has announced it will offer flights from Don Mueang to Surin.

The announcement was by Skyview Airways Co., Ltd., Capt. Rachata Phisitbanakorn at a meeting held at Surin’s Bhakdi Airport on Monday.

During the meeting it was announced the airline plans to offer a trial service using 8-10 seater planes for the next two months, pending formal approval for the route from the Airports of Thailand (AOT).

A full service is expected to be in operation from May 1st, with fares starting from 999 Baht.

Once R Airlines has been granted approval from the AOT to operate the new route, the board plans to upgrade the planes to ATR72-500 aircrafts, the same model used by Nok Air and Bangkok Airways in order to attract Chinese tourists to expand their travel schedules to visit attractions in Surin, Capt. Rachata said.

The R Airlines president added: “We currently serve approximately 1,000 Chinese tourists per day, while most of their destinations are U-tapao Pattaya, Phuket, and Had Yai. Recently, our marketing team proposed a new 2 day travel program, where customers spend one day in Surin and another one day in Cambodia, which received very good feedback from tour operators. The next step is to co-work with local operators here for hotel and transportation services”.

Mr. Sombat Somboontherdthana, Chairman of Surin Chamber Association, said the introduction of the new flight would benefit the local economy and will help to attract tourists, entrepreneurs, and investors from around Thailand to set up their business or visit the province.

Source: Khaosod.co.th

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-15

Wow, impressive NOT, who the hell is R Airlines. By the way I read in the SCMP Orient Thai Airlines have cancelled their single 747 aircraft to Hong Kong from Bangkok for 10 days because of safety reasons ..... Thailand aviation doesn't install confidence

R Airlines, Orient Thai Airlines.

Never!

Leave it to the Chinese.

who the hell is R Airlines.

They seem to exist tongue.png Saw one plane last year in Khon Kaen.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Wow, impressive NOT, who the hell is R Airlines. By the way I read in the SCMP Orient Thai Airlines have cancelled their single 747 aircraft to Hong Kong from Bangkok for 10 days because of safety reasons ..... Thailand aviation doesn't install confidence

Whilst the Hong Kong press were reporting Orient Thai suspending flights for safety reasons there was no mention of it in the Thai press which was odd. Will those flights ever resume now the Thai aviation authorities are actually doing their jobs properly?

R Airlines, Orient Thai Airlines.

Never!

Leave it to the Chinese.

who the hell is R Airlines.

They seem to exist tongue.png Saw one plane last year in Khon Kaen.

They have been flying Hatyai - Chiang Mai for at least a year. Most flights are out of DMK.

1 2 go was part of Orient Thai. It was their domestic start up and used cheap aircraft that were 25 years or older. Its competitors Air Asia , Nok and Lion Air quickly moved to brand new efficient aircraft and 1- 2 Go couldn't compete. Orient Thai does holiday flights to Hong Kong and China mainly using the same business model, operating with aircraft that are very old. With the Thai aviation authorities now being forced to do their jobs properly, as they should, Orient Thai has been grounded.

Yeehaaa! Let's "lure"... more... "quality tourists"... Oh, how much well all - especially the untipped waiters, waitresses, tour guides, drivers, etc. - love them. No I have no more doubts, whatsoever, that Thailand will skyrocket economically. thumbsup.gif

As CNXBBKMAN has mentioned, 12 Go and Orient Thai are one and the same. 12 Go had a fatal crash in Phuket some years ago (2007/2008). Unqualified/unlicensed/fatigued/under-experienced pilots at the helm or something. You can look it up on the interweb. Cannot remember all details.

I was amazed to find Orient Thai still in business until I did a bit of research. Connected family. And super shady business.

Would rather "fly" with Nakhon Chai Air Bus Co.

Maybe I am the only person here who is excited about getting flights again to Surin, but I am looking forward to a 1 hour flight rather than a 6-8 hour drive or a longer train trip.

From what I have seen its an initiative being done by the local Government to boost tourism. I also read that PXR - Surin Pakdee is the only domestic airport owned by the local government and to be operated by AOT

And Bakhdi Airport is where? Is that the Army strip near centre of town where the annual elephant round-up is held?

A lot of money has been spent on that strip trying to get airlines there. The first being Bangkok Airways in the early 90s and Kan recently. Can't see it happening as Buriram is now booming.