Democrat slams 3 years of education written out of Thai constitution

webfact

Democrat Slams 3 Years of Education Written Out of Constitution
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14580440561458044103l.jpg
Primary students at a Ratchaburi school in a February 2011 file photo. Photo: Office of the Prime Minister

BANGKOK — A top member of the Democrat Party has urged those writing the nation’s next constitution to give back three years of government-supported education removed in its most recent draft.

Deputy party leader Ongart Klampaiboon on Monday slammed the constitution drafting committee for eliminating government support for up to 12 years of education, which has been an explicit constitutional guarantee since 1997.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1458044056&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-03-16

Another example of keeping the masses dumb so they dont have the intelligence to understand what the military continue to take from them.

One of my ex-girlfriends; favourite refrains was " the govt doesn't want the people well educated because they would see through them. "

i wonder what she thinks of this little lot ?

Another example of keeping the masses dumb so they dont have the intelligence to understand what the military continue to take from them.

I wouldn't put it like that though I have sympathy with your point of view.It's not really a question of intelligence because the Thai people have that in abundance, and it can never be extinguished.Furthermore in the last twenty years the con trick that the elites played on the people has been rumbled.To use that rather overused expression the genie cannot be put back on the bottle.The "know your place" mentality - where ordinary people are urged to be self sufficient while the elites wallow in conspicuous expenditure - is dying on its feet because the Thai people refuse to take it seriously now.Thus any strategy depending on the masses being kept dumb just won't work.Education is a different matter altogether.In any case I believe that most reasonable Thais (and I include the conservative urban middle class) understand why educational standrds must be improved across the board.

Edited by jayboy

Yea.... and maybe guaranteeing a fresh supply of "meat" for the streets of places like Pattaya.

I wouldn't put it like that though I have sympathy with your point of view.It's not really a question of intelligence because the Thai people have that in abundance, and it can never be extinguished.Furthermore in the last twenty years the con trick that the elites played on the people has been rumbled.To use that rather overused expression the genie cannot be put back on the bottle.The "know your place" mentality - where ordinary people are urged to be self sufficient while the elites wallow in conspicuous expenditure - is dying on its feet because the Thai people refuse to take it seriously now.Thus any strategy depending on the masses being kept dumb just won't work.Education is a different matter altogether.In any case I believe that most reasonable Thais (and I include the conservative urban middle class) understand why educational standrds must be improved across the board.

"Thai people have intelligence in abundance". And I'm the mayor of London.

Bad news for poor people who do not have the money for private schools.
Education is the most important competitive factor in the future.
Three years less right to education will now be the new educational reform?
The manifestation of the permanent division of society into rich and poor, never leads inductively to more progress and prosperity for all.

The thing is that in Thailand many of the worst educated people see through the façade of the elites, and many of the better educated buy it completely.

If you want to move the country forward, improve the country, education is the most important way. If you want to compete in the AEC, Asia and the world market, education is the most important thing as pure manual labor can be found cheaper elsewhere.

Reversing level of education does the same to the country, so what is it actually the military government wants? Please remind me the wonderful improvements this government has made so far.

The most frightening paragraph in the OP is the last one...............

"It also defines the fundamental purpose of the education system as being to instill virtue, discipline and pride in the nation."

communism

I have a massage therapy shop and hairdressing salon. When I asked one of the ladies there why she is always smiling and happy, her reply was "because I don't think".

You must understand the Thai culture to understand what she was trying to tell you. In Thai if someone has a problem or are worrying too much they say that he/she are thinking too much. So by her saying she doesn't think means she trying not to be worried or concerned about politics and thus can be happy. If she thinks too much about the politics/problems she will worry/think too much and will not be happy anymore.

I have a massage therapy shop and hairdressing salon. When I asked one of the ladies there why she is always smiling and happy, her reply was "because I don't think".

You must understand the Thai culture to understand what she was trying to tell you. In Thai if someone has a problem or are worrying too much they say that he/she are thinking too much. So by her saying she doesn't think means she trying not to be worried or concerned about politics and thus can be happy. If she thinks too much about the politics/problems she will worry/think too much and will not be happy anymore.

Or possibly she thinks and worries about all kinds of things but doesnt want to talk to you about it.

The sad thing is that 3 years less education under the current system will have little impact on the knowledge kids leave school with. As education seems to be all about installing blind patriotism and unthinking subservience, the kids may be better off without it.

It also defines the fundamental purpose of the education system as being to instill virtue, discipline and pride in the nation.

None of which has to do anything with mental acuity, knowledge and comprehension.

In Thailand it seems education will be All You Can Be - as a military conscript.

I feel that adolescents should be encouraged to use the Internet as a learning tool with parental guidance

Schools won't provide the education needed even if they had an extra 3 years or for that matter 10 years because the quality is lacking and teachers and administrators are too focussed on looking after themselves rather than helping the youth

Parents in many instances throw good money at so called special lessons and the children receive a poor service ib return

Shift effort and focus toward something that you can use and control - the Internet

JGV

I don't hold Thai education in high regard in areas of world history, economics and geopolitical awareness. The government's plan to filter the internet seems more erosive to public empowerment than reduced education. IMO On the government's happiness scale, ignorance = bliss.

"It also defines the fundamental purpose of the education system as being to instill virtue, discipline and pride in the nation."

At what point in this chapter of Thai history do Thais start to man up to this military. Every nation has to spill blood to move on.

This is pretty significant and sad. Did they think no one would actually read the new drafts? This is what happens when the military controls the government. They have a different agenda and rest assured that improving conditions here or doing anything positive to help the general populace isn't one of it's priorities, obviously. Really really disappointing that they would do this. What's even sadder is that Thais will just accept it if it's not added back.

The thing is that in Thailand many of the worst educated people see through the façade of the elites, and many of the better educated buy it completely.

But isn't it strange that the alleged party of the elite is the one to speak out? And the party that offered uniform and text subsidies, subsequently replaced by Yingluk's tablet scam. That worked SO well.

Actually what the worst educated see is the carrot dangled in front of their nose, and fail to notice where the road is leading.

A friend of a friend is director of a private primary school. She was so proud when her 9 years old daughter was reading out loud in English but when I asked for the meaning of the words the girl had no idea as she only knew how to pronounce the words...
I have meet Thais that have scored over 700 on TOEIC and/or 7 on IELTS that can't even make an easy conversation in English, those people have only learned how to pass the exams and not how to use the language.

In other words, teach them what to think - not how to think.

Yes kids, as long as you're full of national pride, you won't need any of that pesky math, science or English nonsense.

But isn't it strange that the alleged party of the elite is the one to speak out? And the party that offered uniform and text subsidies, subsequently replaced by Yingluk's tablet scam. That worked SO well.

Actually what the worst educated see is the carrot dangled in front of their nose, and fail to notice where the road is leading.

Ignoring your irrelevant and rather foolish whatabouttery, its not so strange that Democrats are concerned about educational standards.The Democrats were once a national party and will be so again; their basic instincts are good.Being hijacked by thugs like Suthep and being used by the corrupt feudal/military elites - hopefully now in the past.Reform and courage needed to tackle the Thaksin influenced parties but it can be done.

The terrible irony is that it's the innocence of the people that is the charm of the country. When they all wise up to the grand deception - my impression is that very few Thais still have any idea of how they have been socially engineered for so long by the 'deep state' system - this could turn into one of the most bitter and cynical countries in the world. What a dilemma for those who love the Thai people as they are.