Thai police visit Soi Cowboy to show they’re serious about tackling human trafficking

webfact

Many years back used to have laugh when the BIB came into Suzie Wongs and went out the back to collect the tea money.

Smiles all round. Lots of wais to the bemused falangs.Never video taped though

BSP (Before Smart Phones).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the visiting forces was not from her brothers station.

Phrayut sends cops and army from another area to avoid the already built up relationship between bib and business.

Hmmm.

Seems to be lumpini police after all.

Edited by Lampang2

Try focusing on the brothels in Khon Khan were the girls are not free to leave the premises. Oh wait! Who are the primary customers? Thai men. I've seen it, although close to a decade ago. It was disturbing.

"But it's all different now. Trafficking only happens in farang venues!!!"

Dream on...(but we all make good targets and it refocuses the problem away from the source)

If they relate HT to under age then I think connda is correct---I am just north of him in Udon Thani--- There are a lot of "Young" Lao girls here, I don't know if they are not free to move around or not.......................coffee1.gif

Seems to me that the officials, by going to those areas, are simply encouraging the myth that the girls who work there are human slaves. Mind-boggling. Why not go to a Thai brothel area? Oh wait. We know why. What have Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy got to do with trafficking? Nothing at all. If they want to pretend to foreigners that they are doing all they can to stamp out trafficking then there are other ways of doing it than putting on a show outside a few bars, You and I know that this was all for show and one more photo opportunity. Someone needed to ask them what they were actually DOING about trafficking, like bringing back and protecting the official who fled to Australia because he was ruffling too many feathers.

Who's the lady in the clown suit?

Believe me when I say, you don't want to mess with her.

She is the Boss of Hillary Group including many other venues such as Morning and Night, Climax Disco and and and...and probably the whole Soi 4 and her Brother some high ranking Officer at Lumpini Police.

But indeed she is a very nice women and very friendly.

She is a good hearted lass, business headed, well connected...a clown? Far from it...

I see they dodged the "Suckers" gogo bar for the photo opportunity this time. coffee1.gif

The last time I was on top of a problem was just before my divorce. I wonder how long all this seriousness will last I give it 24 hours. A mighty show of strength and then back to the police box for some R and R.

Any forigner who has invested into these bars (even as a silent partner) need to wake up and see that something is on the cards, IMHO i would be looking to get out before I was arrested for HT as we all know and so do the Military whats really going on with girls working in these places ..hostes, coyote or what ever name you like to call them they are mostly available for hire by customers of the bar, and under the UN terminology they are sex workers for payment and the bar takes a (bar finec, lady drink, ST room etc) which as we all know is illegal in thailand...be careful out there the knock is getting closer

Sex workers are one thing, human trafficking is something else entirely. If their logic dictates that it is the same problem, then it is marred from the beginning. Especially in the tourist areas. Yes, they do overlap at times, but not in the commercial areas. A public relations exercise off the beaten track would prove to be a different animal for this gaggle i could almost guarantee.

BTW, I think they would be better handing out their leaflets around the malls and temples, good chance there would be a little more interest in those areas rather than distracting the punters......................wink.png

Oh I see, so all of the hookers around the tourist areas are "legitimate hookers". They are there of their own free will and no HT involved at all, they probably have a decent health and dental plan as well.

Phew, glad to know, I always thought that these streets were filled with exploited teenagers from remote parts of the country bought in by criminal gangs to fulfil the demand for locals and tourists alike who are looking to pay for sex.

Yep that's about right...

Most of the trafficking is of Lao, Burmese and Cambodian girls (if the sex trade is all we are talking about). And the majority of that happens in Thai towns not tourist locations, maybe some boarder towns where the Malay's and Chinese mingle. I have been to a few where "Farang" are ignored and shunned, sometimes not even allowed inside, Asian custom only!!! And the amount doesn't matter, I tried it, just out of sheer curiosity....

Who's the lady in the clown suit?

Believe me when I say, you don't want to mess with her.

She is the Boss of Hillary Group including many other venues such as Morning and Night, Climax Disco and and and...and probably the whole Soi 4 and her Brother some high ranking Officer at Lumpini Police.

But indeed she is a very nice women and very friendly.

Agreed that both she and her brother are very pleasant but also powerful.

I see they dodged the "Suckers" gogo bar for the photo opportunity this time. coffee1.gif

The last time I was on top of a problem was just before my divorce. I wonder how long all this seriousness will last I give it 24 hours. A mighty show of strength and then back to the police box for some R and R.

I think you will find the army is quietly forcing the obvious sex trade venues out of business in BK.

The new style puritan government is determined to be rid of it.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I think you will find the army is quietly forcing the obvious sex trade venues out of business in BK.

The new style puritan government is determined to be rid of it.

What have they done to give you that crazy idea? They seem to be keeping up with being strict about closing times (at certain places) but other than that nothing appears to have changed.

Oh I see, so all of the hookers around the tourist areas are "legitimate hookers". They are there of their own free will and no HT involved at all, they probably have a decent health and dental plan as well.

Phew, glad to know, I always thought that these streets were filled with exploited teenagers from remote parts of the country bought in by criminal gangs to fulfil the demand for locals and tourists alike who are looking to pay for sex.

They are legitimate. I'm sure the same percentage of them have health and dental plans as the street food vendors.

They are absolutely not teenagers brought in by criminal gangs.

Source: I know a lot of them, very well.

If they're serious about cracking down on human trafficking, they should visit the Mama-San-run child prostitute dungeons catering EXCLUSIVELY to Chinese/Thai "influential people" in the backyards of Bangkok's outskirts... But that won't happen, won't it? And we all know the reason why...

So better get down on the last fun spots catering girls of legal age to foreigners - looks better on the pictures and in the papers. coffee1.gif

Edited by MockingJay

Try the backstreet brothels full of underage Burmese catering to locals or Chinese coach trips.

People were reminded of the laws promulgated in 2008 regarding the illegal trade and encouraged to report violations to authorities.

If you know something,lag em in.

Hmmmm....they may have a point there...but..... they should also parade the concerned citizens around , including the press agents, the camera men and TV reporters and film themselves in front of the soapy massage parlors all over Bangkok and then, really nail their point home and expose all the numbered hotels all over Bangkok where the real sad cases of human trafficking occur.

But they wont, because, well you know why.

Cheers

Any forigner who has invested into these bars (even as a silent partner) need to wake up and see that something is on the cards, IMHO i would be looking to get out before I was arrested for HT as we all know and so do the Military whats really going on with girls working in these places ..hostes, coyote or what ever name you like to call them they are mostly available for hire by customers of the bar, and under the UN terminology they are sex workers for payment and the bar takes a (bar finec, lady drink, ST room etc) which as we all know is illegal in thailand...be careful out there the knock is getting closer

Sex workers are one thing, human trafficking is something else entirely. If their logic dictates that it is the same problem, then it is marred from the beginning. Especially in the tourist areas. Yes, they do overlap at times, but not in the commercial areas. A public relations exercise off the beaten track would prove to be a different animal for this gaggle i could almost guarantee.

BTW, I think they would be better handing out their leaflets around the malls and temples, good chance there would be a little more interest in those areas rather than distracting the punters......................wink.png

Correct, all the girls in tourist areas are Thai "independent contractors" who choose to go

with customers or not. "Bar Girl" is a protected job with the money being very, very good

for some women. As stated by others, off the beaten path you will find brothels staffed by

migrant women servicing a Thai clientele, that charge greatly reduced rates. These are the

girls you should be worried about. coffee1.gif

How many girls (or boys/3rd gender) in Cowboy or Nana do you believe are there against their will, being forced to stay there?

As stated earlier, off the beaten track is another story.

Don't know, and neither do you. But I assume many are there against their will or have been forced into repaying "loans" or perhaps even have a dependency of some substance.

I am someone that doesn't believe in prostitution and I think it is the back bone of human trafficking, modern day slavery, human rights abuse, exploitation and criminal activity overall. Not just here but right across the World.

Funny how most Western men feel the same when they are at home but suddenly become openly pro prostitution when they are here using all sorts of arguments,, such as "they have a better life then in the country", or "they earn good money" or even "they support whole families back home". All nonsense arguments but voiced nonetheless.

They are legitimate. I'm sure the same percentage of them have health and dental plans as the street food vendors.

They are absolutely not teenagers brought in by criminal gangs.

Source: I know a lot of them, very well.

Yeh right. Believe what you will. "none so blind as those who will not see".

Correct, all the girls in tourist areas are Thai "independent contractors" who choose to go

with customers or not. "Bar Girl" is a protected job with the money being very, very good

for some women. As stated by others, off the beaten path you will find brothels staffed by

migrant women servicing a Thai clientele, that charge greatly reduced rates. These are the

Really, and how exactly do you know that? Are you responsible for draughting the contracts for these "contracted" ladies or are you just guessing? I think I know the answer.

Or let me guess, you (like another poster on here) know a lot of these girls. And of course they tell you the truth every time they speak to you dont they.

Do you honestly think a prostitute will ever say to you "Actually I am very unhappy, I came down here with promise of a lucrative restaurant job and I owe money for the trip and accommodation but there was no restaurant job so I kind of got pushed into this as I had no choice, now I am stuck and I feel sick to the stomach every time some fat old fart is pounding away on me"

Or are you one of these guys who tells them "why do you do this, you are so pretty and clever, you dont need to do this" as if it is the first time they have heard that. And then they tell you that they earn great money and have a nice condo an iPhone and various other crap they have earnt on the game and are blissfully happy.

The problem here is not just about tackling the human trafficking, it's educating the people like you about what REALLY happens with many of these girls and how terribly they are roped into a life of selling themselves to desperate men looking to pay for sex.

Before you make your next comment, think about it, do some research and then see how you feel about all those poor exploited girls.

I hope that one day the Thai police really will clamp down on this and not only stamp out the criminal gangs who own and run these operations but also prosecute the men who feel the need to contribute to it all by paying for sex in the first place.

Did they reassure the public, i.e. Tourists and farangs that none of these girls are prostitutes ? If so very well done, I am sure they never mentioned certain corrupt people .....oh why bother.

Amazing Thailand.

Really, and how exactly do you know that? Are you responsible for draughting the contracts for these "contracted" ladies or are you just guessing? I think I know the answer.

Or let me guess, you (like another poster on here) know a lot of these girls. And of course they tell you the truth every time they speak to you dont they.

Do you honestly think a prostitute will ever say to you "Actually I am very unhappy, I came down here with promise of a lucrative restaurant job and I owe money for the trip and accommodation but there was no restaurant job so I kind of got pushed into this as I had no choice, now I am stuck and I feel sick to the stomach every time some fat old fart is pounding away on me"

Or are you one of these guys who tells them "why do you do this, you are so pretty and clever, you dont need to do this" as if it is the first time they have heard that. And then they tell you that they earn great money and have a nice condo an iPhone and various other crap they have earnt on the game and are blissfully happy.

The problem here is not just about tackling the human trafficking, it's educating the people like you about what REALLY happens with many of these girls and how terribly they are roped into a life of selling themselves to desperate men looking to pay for sex.

Before you make your next comment, think about it, do some research and then see how you feel about all those poor exploited girls.

I hope that one day the Thai police really will clamp down on this and not only stamp out the criminal gangs who own and run these operations but also prosecute the men who feel the need to contribute to it all by paying for sex in the first place.

. Seems to. Me you know so much you are maybe one of their best customers, past or present.

I tend to agree. They will target the easy and the visible. That said, the strong belief is that the change will happen end 2017 .... unless economic conditions in Thailad take a turn for the better.

Unlike you, with your fake name and mighty soap box, Mr. Gazzpa, you can see my real name, and I actually had a girlfriend for several years who previously worked in the bar.

She will be the first to admit to anyone that the reason she ended up in the bar was because she was lazy and stupid. She confessed that to me many times. She knew exactly what she was doing, but wanted to make big money so she could buy the things she dreamed of owning. No gang. No child to support. Nothing but her own desires beyond her means to satisfy with normal work. When prodded to get a normal job, and offered an opportunity to work a job that actually paid a very good salary (18,000 THB per month), her response was "why I have to work?" Easy job in a hotel, 18,000/mo, and that was just not enough money for her to show up on time 6 days a week and work 8 hours. No criminal gangs. No human trafficking. Just a lazy girl who felt that old men should hand a young woman lots of money for services rendered.

I spent time in her village with her and a number of her friends who also worked in the bars. NONE of them were forced into working in those bars by criminal gangs, con artists, bar owners, or mamasans. The vast majority of them were there because they needed to support an aging mother and a young child, the Thai father of whom had bolted and offered no support whatsoever. If there is any "gang" forcing these women into the bars, it is the gang of worthless Thai men (no reflection upon the many good Thai men in this country) who feel it is their right to knock up these poor women and then abandon them to support themselves and their child on their own. These women were not telling me some bullshit story they thought I wanted to hear. They knew me and my girlfriend. We were just conversing like acquaintances do over a meal.

Virtually none of these women were happy to work in the bar, but they were not ashamed either. It was a difficult choice thrust upon them by life, and they dealt with it with a manner of stoicism and some small measure of self-respect. It is a rare woman that actually enjoys working in the bar, but they do exist. Yes, some admitted that they hated the job. Most stated that they were just frustrated and bored with their life, which seemed to be going nowhere. Some were afraid of the multitude of diseases they risked acquiring. Some just wanted to run away from everything and somehow reset their life. Most were hoping, against the odds, that they would meet a decent guy who would make their life better. When asked "were your customers good or bad?", they almost universally replied: 50/50. Sometimes they had a fun time with a nice guy who treated them well. Sometimes they were treated like a dog. Most of the time, it was เฉยๆ เฉยชา

Of course, none of what I say negates the fact that their are criminal gangs and horrible monsters. There are certainly some nasty people out there who are doing their best to destroy the lives of others for their own selfish needs. These people will always exist, and I am all for any and all reasonable efforts to put an end to their evil deeds.

The police are not going to stamp out this problem, as you hope. It is beyond their capability. And I think any woman who makes the choice to work this type of job is much better off in the well run venues that have police and government oversight, as opposed to the hidden away venues where nasty things can and do happen.

If you really wish to eradicate these venues in Thailand, or any other country, there is only one way to do it - stop putting these women in the position that they have no choice! Men who impregnate a woman need to be made to step up and support their child. The schools (and other organizations) need to help fill the void left by so many absolutely worthless parents who are not equipped to properly prepare their daughters for life. And the country needs to continue to build middle class opportunities for both men and women, so that they can make better choices in their lives with respect to supporting themselves and their families. It is a multi-faceted problem that no prohibition law will resolve.

And even then.... back in America, the wealthiest country on earth, with a modern educational system, government support organizations, strong laws with respect to child support, and a well established middle class --- you still have the "business"! Humans! Have you met any of them? Hence the opinion of some that the practice should be legalized and properly regulated so that at least the damage caused by the worst elements of it can be minimized, and opportunities can be offered to those who are finally ready to step up and try to change the course of their lives.