Photo of student mum taking her baby to class sparks debate on Thai social media

webfact

Photo of student mum taking her baby to class sparks debate on Thai social media
Kwaang Siripoom

tn.jpg

PHICHIT:-- A photo of a teenage student seen sitting an exam while her newborn baby lays asleep on the floor next to her has sparked debate on Thai news sites and across social media.

The photo, which is reported to have been taken by the student’s teacher was uploaded to Facebook with the caption written in Thai which reads: “Since we can’t provide the same equal status in life to all human beings in this world, everyone should at least have the same equal right of education. Nobody gets too old to study.”

The teacher who works at the school in Phichit province revealed she asked the student’s permission before posting the photo.

“I have already asked for permission from the teenage girl student in picture before I posted it onto my Facebook account. During the exam, the baby didn’t made any noises to distract the mother and other students,” the teacher revealed.

Since the photo was posted, many people commenting have been in support of the student mum.

One comment read: “Keep going girl, everyone is here to support you”.

School director Mrs. Benchamas Srathongyom said: “The examination test took place on March 12 - 15 at Phothithamsuwat School, which is where the picture was taken.”

“According to the non-formal education policy, everyone in all age ranges the same equal opportunity of education”.

“The picture might surprise everyone out there, but not us at all. We have been dealing with this kind of case for many times in the past already. Many times the non-formal teachers have to even baby-sit the baby for the mother while taking the test.

“And for those who criticized or made a negative or aggressive comments, please understand and reconsider what you have said once or twice, because I believe nobody in this whole world, if it’s possible, wants to do any mistake in life and since nobody can’t turn back the time and correct things in the past, we should give them chance to build a better future, Mrs Benchamas said.

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-16

I say good on this girl.

THere are plenty of teenage mums in Thailand who just leave the baby with Yai to look after and then get on their way and forget all about their responsibilities.

No doubt the feckless father is long gone.

I wish the girl good luck.

Good respects to the girl, and everyone should support her. There is nothing wrong if you bring the own child to the exam in case if there is no one to care for the baby.

At least she is brave enough to keep the baby and study well. Mistakes happens in life as teenager, it does not mean like life has already ended. She should fight the society bravely.

Best wishes for her, and i hope some responsible corporate in Thailand hire her as part time employee to support her.

Thais don't seem to think anything of taking their kids with them. During school holidays it seems most smaller shops/restaurants have kids in them. I find them to be usually well behaved, the parents keep them in line and they also help out and get life experience. Don't see this much in the west, kids are put in day care if the parents are busy.

Good on this girl, if she was lazy it would be an easy excuse for her to say she couldn't study/ work because of the baby. I hope she is successful in life and one day her kid will see this photo and be very proud of mum.

yes its great that she is with her child but an exam is not the place for a baby to be, as stated earlier the school needs to make allowances for mothers so the kids do not disturb others and the student can still take the test. While ear plugs block noise they also are not comfortable, when doing exams you need to be able to concentrate and not worry about anything else, a baby in the room is a big distraction, this is why the have workplace cre`ches, so the babies are not a distraction from what you need to do, a bit of common sense would go a long way

Before we go all TV on each other, getting in a hump, knickers in a twist etc. etc.

I think some are saying that it is great she can do the exam, but the school should really provide a space/care for the child while she sits the exam, then the baby doesn't disturb others. That is reasonable and the school should do that. I don't think anyone is saying she shouldn't be there taking the exam, or she has no right to education.

Now, saying that if the school can't or won't provide the care for the child when she is sitting the exam, then can't blame here for taking the kid in and doing the exam anyway.

Given that in Thailand it is not uncommon for pregnant students, let alone, student mothers to be completely denied access to schooling, this school must surely be applauded?

I don't believe this is the normal government high school system,

But the 'NON FORMAL school', my wife attended with our baby in the Doi Saket non-formal 4 years back after he was first born.

Yes, they allow the baby, and baby gets passed around the class, and the teacher looks after them too.

They are required to wear the school uniform during all exams, but not during normal class time.

Babies are not allowed in government high schools, nor is any girl deemed to be in a long term sexual relationship.

The girl in the photo isn't wearing a high school uniform either.

She is wearing a further education uniform.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Good for her - getting an education is the most important thing. By doing this hopefully she can be a good role model for her own child to pursue education, but also for other teenage (or older) mothers. As the teacher says "we should give them chance to build a better future".

Best would be of course if the school could provide special rooms where the mothers can take their exams (or even make home exams), but perhaps this is not possible - some of these schools are not the best equipped or sufficiently staffed.

Full credit to her. She cares both about her child and wanting to get a decent start in life. She is an example to many people not just in Thailand but throughout the Western countries.

I wish her and the baby a good and happy life she deserves it she is a responsible person and there are very few of them around.

Edited by gandalf12

If it's just an issue of disturbing other students then they should stop talking on their phones and talking to each other. From what I understand from foreign friends that went to uni here it is a madhouse of people not paying attention when they have a lecturer speaking.

As many other posters have done, I also praise this woman for her dedication to her child and her work ethic in trying to better herself through education even though she has a baby to care for. Doing her best in a tough situation.

Kudos also have to go out to the teacher and perhaps institution for allowing her to do this.

If it's just an issue of disturbing other students then they should stop talking on their phones and talking to each other. From what I understand from foreign friends that went to uni here it is a madhouse of people not paying attention when they have a lecturer speaking.

As many other posters have done, I also praise this woman for her dedication to her child and her work ethic in trying to better herself through education even though she has a baby to care for. Doing her best in a tough situation.

Kudos also have to go out to the teacher and perhaps institution for allowing her to do this.

Any Thai of any age can attend these schools.

It isn't a government high school.

She isn't wearing a high school uniform.

The school is on Saturday and Sunday every week.

Uniforms are only required in exams.

The students will be aged from 15 to 80.

It's for Thais who (for whatever reason) weren't able to complete the normal high school system.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Good respects to the girl, and everyone should support her. There is nothing wrong if you bring the own child to the exam in case if there is no one to care for the baby.

At least she is brave enough to keep the baby and study well. Mistakes happens in life as teenager, it does not mean like life has already ended. She should fight the society bravely.

Best wishes for her, and i hope some responsible corporate in Thailand hire her as part time employee to support her.

And what if the baby starts crying during an exam/lesson?

Our securityguards also bring their wife to work sometimes, last week one brought about 10 Burmese maids to sit with him all night and have a party.

Another maid always gets picked up by her husband and kids who make very much noise and run around in the parks like it's theirs. Her husband even has a superloud stereo in his pickuptruck which he likes to show off in our moobaan.

Also all the maids/personell here drive against traffic on their bicycles, i almost drove into one the other day coming around the corner.

Thai family's also bring their crying unmannered kids into 5* hotels/restaurants where they let them make much noise or run around.

It's time they all grow up and learn some manners.

Baby's in a classroom is a no-no for me, bringing friends to work as well.

My Thai friends were amazed last weekend in a 5* hotel where they let their kids make much noise in the adult pool full of farang. The poolattendant came to tell them their kids had to go to the kiddypool because they were disturbing the other guests. I told them that's normal in Europe but they still can't believe it. Also in restaurants in Europe it's not done to bring toddlers and let them cry loud. Other guests will leave without paying causing angry managers....Tell that to them so i don't have to do it.

I personally believe school is a place for learning and not for bringing infants to.

Out of respect for the mother and the students attending the school it would be more appropriate for the school to allow the mother of the infant to sit the exam in a private setting.

Good to see a child starting school early.

It is doing no harm as is asleep and mother is clearly sitting close to the child and is in a position to offer comfort if required.

Great decision by this institute of education.

It is doing no harm as is asleep and mother is clearly sitting close to the child and is in a position to offer comfort if required.

You realise the infant is only asleep in this photo, but outside the photograph the infant may be awake. An exam may take 30 to minutes to up to 2 hours.

You don't think a more appropriate location would be a private room so the other students can sit the exam in peace IF the infant wakes up?

Should this be encouraged or should schools accommodate peaceful exam environments by moving mothers with infants to private locations allowing all concerned to be more comfortable?

Great decision? Maybe not.

I say good on this girl.

THere are plenty of teenage mums in Thailand who just leave the baby with Yai to look after and then get on their way and forget all about their responsibilities.

No doubt the feckless father is long gone.

I wish the girl good luck.

I think they should post a picture of the/a father taking an exam. Jeeze its so sad to so many young girls caught in this trap. The girl sadly has to raise a baby mostly on her own with her parents help and educate herself as well. My hat goes off to this young lady she is obviously a fighter and made of the right stuff. I hope some young man is ready to step into some mighty big shoes.

At least she is caring for the child, unlike the parents of the four year old in another thread.No doubt the sperm donor has fled the scene?

I agree with the first sentence. "No doubt" the second sentence is subject to doubt. People die, go to jail, are terminally ill, etc.

Think, Think, Think.

She's doing what several teen mom's did when I was in high school. Kudos to the young lady for staying in school and not stopping. It will become more of an issue the older the child will get. Hopefully she will be done soon or can find someone to what the child if she continues.

You realise the infant is only asleep in this photo, but outside the photograph the infant may be awake. An exam may take 30 to minutes to up to 2 hours.

You don't think a more appropriate location would be a private room so the other students can sit the exam in peace IF the infant wakes up?

Should this be encouraged or should schools accommodate peaceful exam environments by moving mothers with infants to private locations allowing all concerned to be more comfortable?

Great decision? Maybe not.

Absolutly no evidence to suggest the child woke up or disturbed other students. I doubt the individual supervising the exam would have uploaded this picture if it had.

At least she is caring for the child, unlike the parents of the four year old in another thread.No doubt the sperm donor has fled the scene?

I agree with the first sentence. "No doubt" the second sentence is subject to doubt. People die, go to jail, are terminally ill, etc.

Think, Think, Think.

I think you may have a point. I think..................

Absolutly no evidence to suggest the child woke up or disturbed other students. I doubt the individual supervising the exam would have uploaded this picture if it had.

As all students in these schools pass, just by attending, and are guaranteed a place in a 'Rat' university on completion.

It hardly matters if anyone were disturbed or not.

PS

If baby did wake up, mum or the teacher would just take it outside for a walk, then back to the exam.

Hardly any restrictions on the goings on in non formal schools.

It's nothing like our expectations in the west.

About the only firm rule, is you wear the uniform for the exam, or they don't let you in.

PPS

Also no evidence to suggest she is a single mother.

For all we know she is married with dad at home (if a teen, she can be married).

My wife certainly was.

Edited by MaeJoMTB