Certification of University Credentials By Embassy?

Anyone heard of, or been denied a Type O Teaching VISA/EXT. for not having a certified copy of your diploma and transcripts? I was told yesterday that someone was in fact denied his Extension and told to go to Bangkok(he's some 12 hours away by bus) and get it all certified? Is this truth or just once again, a person being in a bad mood? lunch nearly ready? stomach ache??

There are many different non-immigrant O visa categories but I've never heard that teaching is one of them. You can obtain a work permit for teaching if you already possess a non-immigrant B (Business) or O (based on marriage to a Thai).

There are many different non-immigrant O visa categories but I've never heard that teaching is one of them. You can obtain a work permit for teaching if you already possess a non-immigrant B (Business) or O (based on marriage to a Thai).

Sorry. I wasn't sure of the type(A-B-0 etc.) and just typed that from ingrained comment about the Marriage Visa comment prior.

The question really is about whatever VISA's and/or Extensions of same, teachers get when they apply for permission to stay and work in Thailand, or renewals. Stories can run rampant.

Most (all?) Embassy's will not "certify" Academic qualifications.

There is no type "O" Teaching visa/ext !

Is this yet another unlikely "farang" story ?

I wasn't there with him. Who ever knows. Like I said to the other kind poster, the inquiry isn't about the type of letter the VISA is. It's whatever teachers get to legally teach.

I recall reading recently that one of the TCT's "new" requirements was that said transcripts had to come directly from whatever University it was claimed by the applicant to be a graduate of.

This was the very first time I'd heard of Immigration getting in the mix demanding more documents in this regard beyond the TCT waiver/permission. Hence, my general inquiry. Kind regards.

I had read this on the U.S.Embassy web site some months ago but didn't find it during a quick search earlier. I don't know how a legitimate, oh never mind. I don't think the U.S. or Canada or the U.K. would do it but when it comes to third world countries? Who again, ever knows.

I wasn't there with him. Who ever knows. Like I said to the other kind poster, the inquiry isn't about the type of letter the VISA is. It's whatever teachers get to legally teach.

I recall reading recently that one of the TCT's "new" requirements was that said transcripts had to come directly from whatever University it was claimed by the applicant to be a graduate of.

This was the very first time I'd heard of Immigration getting in the mix demanding more documents in this regard beyond the TCT waiver/permission. Hence, my general inquiry. Kind regards.

"I recall reading recently that one of the TCT's "new" requirements was that said transcripts had to come directly from whatever University it was claimed by the applicant to be a graduate of."

Correct and contained within a sealed tamper proof envelope !

These "changes" are, of course, caused and driven, by the minority who seek to cheat their way into employment

I don't see any university sending my transcripts to the TCT. It's just not going to happen. However, I found that the TCT can go to my universities websites and request the information free of charge. But would they be bothered to do it? I've heard of no new requirements and my renewal is due in a few weeks.

I had read this on the U.S.Embassy web site some months ago but didn't find it during a quick search earlier. I don't know how a legitimate, oh never mind. I don't think the U.S. or Canada or the U.K. would do it but when it comes to third world countries? Who again, ever knows.

From the U.S. Citizens section of the Bangkok USA Embassy:

Notarial services we cannot provide include;

------

I remain perplexed that no other teachers have come across this requirement when applying for the Work/Teaching VISA or it's extension, recently....I did re-confirm with the guy, he stands by his story. He's from the USA for context, his school is in the North East, and he's been at said school for three years hoping to renew. Shocked at this and of course, despite being a well liked teacher, the school "can't" do anything about an Immigration decision.

Universities in the USA have required that transcripts be mailed directly to them in sealed tamper-proof envelopes for as long as I can remember and that's 40 years!

I think, based solely on what you posted, that the setting you describe applies to a prospective student applying for admission to the University. Perhaps High School transcripts? On that note, I have noticed Thai schools issue the transcripts to their students using a rubber stamp(in red) to certify them along with a photo of the student(provided by the student) glued on it and also sealed with a rubber stamp.

This however isn't what is being discussed. Thank you for your attempt to contribute.

I don't see any university sending my transcripts to the TCT. It's just not going to happen. However, I found that the TCT can go to my universities websites and request the information free of charge. But would they be bothered to do it? I've heard of no new requirements and my renewal is due in a few weeks.

As you state, the TCT would as have many schools, put the burden on the teachers. While in theory this makes sense, it isn't practical. Even if the University does have a system in place to reply to said requests, the time frame isn't going to be "in a few weeks" IMHO. In addition, the specific example in the inquiry is about Immigration getting involved in credential verification. This is what's very new to me.

We have had teachers from the US who have had their transcripts sent to our school and also have had them sent in sealed envelopes with a school stamp over the sealed portion of the letter. These are then taken to the TCT.

Universities are pretty good about understanding that some places want the records sent directly to them to prevent any tampering.

That's a demeaning statement. Grouping U.S., Canada and UK together... and the rest are third world countries.

That's a demeaning statement. Grouping U.S., Canada and UK together... and the rest are third world countries.

Sorry you didn't grasp the post. "oh never mind" means I didn't want to go into detail. Suffice to say, if a countries Universities will change degree's from say "Math" to "Education" with a simply form requesting it, it's a third world country and third world University. To compare said institutions with those in the "first" world would be a mistake. But as always, up to you and the TCT.

• 2 weeks later...

I can only speak for UK universities but they're not in the business of running around to send you transcripts from their location etc.

It's a pretty simple formula for checking the validity of a degree from the UK. Go onto the relevant website, get a signed declaration from said student and pay the 54 pounds for processing fees. I don't know why this is so difficult but at the same time, dealing with my school's admin and department of labour etc, I do.

For UK universities, without your signed permission, there's no official way of verifying your degree.

British embassy will. I rang them last month and they saidthat, if i had the paperwork, they would certify the paperwork as legit. Though this may be a notary, the embassy is confirming that your degree is real

British embassy will. I rang them last month and they saidthat, if i had the paperwork, they would certify the paperwork as legit. Though this may be a notary, the embassy is confirming that your degree is real

The schools' interpretation of your embassy verifying your degree and your embassy's are very different.

The schools think the embassy are stating for a fact that the said degree is real. The embassy's interpretation is, "Yes, we've seen this degree and believe it to be real based on said person's testimony". It proves nothing, but it does make for some sexy paperwork for the ministry of labour to put in their special filing cabinets.

Paperworkophilia.

The schools' interpretation of your embassy verifying your degree and your embassy's are very different.

The schools think the embassy are stating for a fact that the said degree is real. The embassy's interpretation is, "Yes, we've seen this degree and believe it to be real based on said person's testimony". It proves nothing, but it does make for some sexy paperwork for the ministry of labour to put in their special filing cabinets.

Paperworkophilia.

They told me they would check with the issuing institution and that they would verify that the paperwork was real. read into that what you will, but I agree that going direct to the uni is the only real way to sort this out

Paperworkophilia.

They told me they would check with the issuing institution and that they would verify that the paperwork was real. read into that what you will, but I agree that going direct to the uni is the only real way to sort this out

The BE will not "verify" or "check" any degree

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

After reading that I can't see where it says that specifically, but if you are sure you are sure . Here is what they toild me. If I take my paperwork to the embassy, they offer a service that would confirm that my paperwork was, in fact, genuine. As I did not have the paperwork, I took it no further. Why they told me they could do that if they can't, I have no idea. I am simply relaying what I was told by the embassy on the phone

After reading that I can't see where it says that specifically, but if you are sure you are sure . Here is what they toild me. If I take my paperwork to the embassy, they offer a service that would confirm that my paperwork was, in fact, genuine. As I did not have the paperwork, I took it no further. Why they told me they could do that if they can't, I have no idea. I am simply relaying what I was told by the embassy on the phone

When I called the British Embassy to ask if they could do it they said, "yes". I asked if I should bring the official form signed by me to have my information released. The guy paused for a second and said, "There's no need. We just stamp it to say that so and so (can't remember who) has seen it"

They cannot access this information without official permission signed by said degree holder. This is a fact for UK universities. But if you're still not sure; MONEY. Yes, to 'verify' each document costs 1800 baht. So, they 'verify' your degree for 1800 baht, yet it actually costs 54 pounds sterling (2,600 baht) to do it officially online with your university.

There you go. No embassy is in the business of doing anything for their citizens for free. And they especially don't pay out of their own pocket to help you.

Sad fact is that at a TEFL level of teaching they don't really distinguish between teachers. Very first school I worked at paid 35k to start with regardless of degree or not. That pissed me off at first until I realised that at the level I was teaching at - nobody cared. The school didn't care, the parents didn't care and eventually I stopped caring. I was just a white face to them. I could have had a degree in linguistics from Oxford and I'd still be getting 35k. Understand the TEFL beast.

Now I'm more experienced with more relevant qualifications. I get paid more than others and newbies. I get a performance based bonus, more holiday, better health care, etc. I'm still on show though. Gate duty sometimes to remind parents that the school does employ white people.

When I called the British Embassy to ask if they could do it they said, "yes". I asked if I should bring the official form signed by me to have my information released. The guy paused for a second and said, "There's no need. We just stamp it to say that so and so (can't remember who) has seen it"

They cannot access this information without official permission signed by said degree holder. This is a fact for UK universities. But if you're still not sure; MONEY. Yes, to 'verify' each document costs 1800 baht. So, they 'verify' your degree for 1800 baht, yet it actually costs 54 pounds sterling (2,600 baht) to do it officially online with your university.

There you go. No embassy is in the business of doing anything for their citizens for free. And they especially don't pay out of their own pocket to help you.

Sad fact is that at a TEFL level of teaching they don't really distinguish between teachers. Very first school I worked at paid 35k to start with regardless of degree or not. That pissed me off at first until I realised that at the level I was teaching at - nobody cared. The school didn't care, the parents didn't care and eventually I stopped caring. I was just a white face to them. I could have had a degree in linguistics from Oxford and I'd still be getting 35k. Understand the TEFL beast.

Now I'm more experienced with more relevant qualifications. I get paid more than others and newbies. I get a performance based bonus, more holiday, better health care, etc. I'm still on show though. Gate duty sometimes to remind parents that the school does employ white people.

Yes, I would have had to pay money too. Pointless exercise really though. i was doing it to get into further education in Thailand, and found another route

Archived