Buying a Honda brush cutter in Samui

Hi every one, I had a made in China brush cutter, last week it refuses to start, a motorbike shop told us the carburettor is dead and asked 1200Baht

since the stuff worth only 2,000 something I will buy a new one.

I went to HomePro only 3 models made in China under 3,000Baht. I would like to find a Honda 4 stroke, I went all over the main road impossible to find a Honda anywhere. A suggestion anyone?

I could also buy a Makita since I found 3 models 2 troke and 4 stroke in a Lamai a tool shop almost in front of Tesco .

But right or wrong I would prefer Honda.

Thanks in advance whether you have an answer or notsmile.png

Honda 4 stroke available at Home Mart, Maenam, (a number of other small shops have them too.... can't explain exactly where off hand....)

I have had mine for at least seven years and still goes.... a few minor repairs over the years.... But you'll going to be looking at around 10,000 baht, if memory serves...

Going cheap does not usually pay .... it will depend on how much and what you are cutting...wink.png

Forget Home Pro, absolutely no service at all...if you need parts they have to order .... takes far too long! bah.gif

Up here in Khampaeng Phet at Global House they are about that but if you look for the smaller hardware shops the Honda 4 stroke is about 8,000 baht. Places like Global, HomePro, HomeWorks etc will sell you one but they carry few if any parts and the people they employ have no real idea what they are talking about.

The smaller shops usually know their stuff and do carry spares both branded and unbranded.

Please don't buy a 2 stroke as they are a PITA to fix.

I can do almost anything on the Honda 4 stroke apart from rebuilding the engine, and you can even do that if you are good enough and can get the bits.

My Honda is about 8 years old and starts 2nd or 3rd pull on the cord every time.

Honda 4 stroke available at Home Mart, Maenam, (a number of other small shops have them too.... can't explain exactly where off hand....)

I have had mine for at least seven years and still goes.... a few minor repairs over the years.... But you'll going to be looking at around 10,000 baht, if memory serves...

Going cheap does not usually pay .... it will depend on how much and what you are cutting...wink.png

Forget Home Pro, absolutely no service at all...if you need parts they have to order .... takes far too long! bah.gif

Hi Jimmy I went to Nathon from Lamai this afternoon, but do not find anything,

so came back the other way, passed of course in Maenam, we drove slowly did not saw anything,

so where is HomeMart in Maenam? On the main road? I could go back to morrow.wai.gif

Up here in Khampaeng Phet at Global House they are about that but if you look for the smaller hardware shops the Honda 4 stroke is about 8,000 baht. Places like Global, HomePro, HomeWorks etc will sell you one but they carry few if any parts and the people they employ have no real idea what they are talking about.

The smaller shops usually know their stuff and do carry spares both branded and unbranded.

I can do almost anything on the Honda 4 stroke apart from rebuilding the engine, and you can even do that if you are good enough and can get the bits.

My Honda is about 8 years old and starts 2nd or 3rd pull on the cord every time.

OK 2 answers 2 advices for Honda, so I will stick to it and not going for Makita, smile.png

The price for this Honda 4 stroke is 9,000 and something,

so came back the other way, passed of course in Maenam, we drove slowly did not saw anything,

so where is HomeMart in Maenam? On the main road? I could go back to morrow.wai.gif

Hi Tchooptip

Home Mart is located not far from the Traffic light, in Maenam, (on the Ring road) if you are coming from Bophut area then it is before the lights..on the left side.... Huge sign and parking area...(also says "Thai Cement Co.)

It's a very large store... walk down to the back section off to the right (paint is first thing you'll see) and they should be off the middle aisle on the right....

You may have to try and negotiate the price, ... I usually find the guy sitting at the desk on left side, just before you go down the slope .. Short chubby guy who wears a DeWalt Shirt... I forget his real name, but he speaks English quite well...and is usually quite good at helping.

Hope they have in stock... they usually do!

Hi Tchooptip

Home Mart is located not far from the Traffic light, in Maenam, (on the Ring road) if you are coming from Bophut area then it is before the lights..on the left side.... Huge sign and parking area...(also says "Thai Cement Co.)

It's a very large store... walk down to the back section off to the right (paint is first thing you'll see) and they should be off the middle aisle on the right....

You may have to try and negotiate the price, ... I usually find the guy sitting at the desk on left side, just before you go down the slope .. Short chubby guy who wears a DeWalt Shirt... I forget his real name, but he speaks English quite well...and is usually quite good at helping.

Hope they have in stock... they usually do!

Hi Jimmy, yes I have been looking on the internet after reading your post, saw the picture of it, cannot miss it, so yes we saw it yesterday but did not stopped my wife told me it was only construction materials.

Thanks for your time, I will go back this afternoon.

OK 2 answers 2 advices for Honda, so I will stick to it and not going for Makita, smile.png

The price for this Honda 4 stroke is 9,000 and something,

I haven't looked at the price for a while but the place I go to is a family owned shop in Khampaeng Phet that has been there for at least 20 years AFAIR so their costs will be much less than a big chain store.

Before you buy in somewhere like Home Mart etc get your wife to ask around and you will save money and if it is a family shop also they do carry spares and usually know what they are talking about.

The shops with the most Thai people buying are the places to go. Some of them display their stuff on the pavements also and put it away at night.

Firstly JJ motorcycles in Maenam can repair it for you - it may be worth checking the difference in prices quoted.

They are located just to the right of Mae Nam Trading - look for the green Castrol sign

Second, the price of spares for these Chinese brush cutters is very low - a carb, or example, is about 300 baht including postage.

http://www.lazada.co.th/11mm-carburettor-carb-strimmer-hedge-trimmer-brush-cutter-chainsaw-43cc-47cc-49c-2902303.html

Third, unless you're using your brushcutter every couple of days, on a semi-professional basis, I can't see the cost-effectivenes of spending another 9,000 baht, when the one you have won't need this amount in maintenance spread over maybe 10 years. But up to you. I would check with JJ first - you might get a surprise - one of his mechanics fixed my non-starting Chinese brushcutter in less than 20 minutes. It only needed cleaning and some adjustments, so I wan't charged anything.

(Alternatively - just buy another brush cutter the same. Cost less than 2,000B. Then you have ll the spares you'll ever need, at a total cost of less than 4,000 baht, compared with your current plan of Chinese + Honda - 11,000 baht.)

OR, if you are determined to get a new one,- have a look on Lazada. I buy a lot from here, cash on delivery. It takes about 5 days to arrive. Look to see what they have, then reference the model number on Google to get specifications and reviews.

http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=honda+brush+cutter

R

Firstly JJ motorcycles in Maenam can repair it for you - it may be worth checking the difference in prices quoted.

They are located just to the right of Mae Nam Trading - look for the green Castrol sign

Second, the price of spares for these Chinese brush cutters is very low - a carb, or example, is about 300 baht including postage.

http://www.lazada.co.th/11mm-carburettor-carb-strimmer-hedge-trimmer-brush-cutter-chainsaw-43cc-47cc-49c-2902303.html

Third, unless you're using your brushcutter every couple of days, on a semi-professional basis, I can't see the cost-effectivenes of spending another 9,000 baht, when the one you have won't need this amount in maintenance spread over maybe 10 years. But up to you. I would check with JJ first - you might get a surprise - one of his mechanics fixed my non-starting Chinese brushcutter in less than 20 minutes. It only needed cleaning and some adjustments, so I wan't charged anything.

(Alternatively - just buy another brush cutter the same. Cost less than 2,000B. Then you have ll the spares you'll ever need, at a total cost of less than 4,000 baht, compared with your current plan of Chinese + Honda - 11,000 baht.)

OR, if you are determined to get a new one,- have a look on Lazada. I buy a lot from here, cash on delivery. It takes about 5 days to arrive. Look to see what they have, then reference the model number on Google to get specifications and reviews.

R

I certainly agree with your saying JJ is a good place for some repairs... Rob..

There is a shop down near the Maenam post office that carries parts... I think next to the store that sells bikes and fishing gear ... I will try to look next time I go that way...(it should be a while b4 needed! wink.png )

But I have known several people with the cheapo models over the years and they just don't last even when not used much... even most Thai's I see use the more expensive models!

R

There is a shop down near the Maenam post office that carries parts... I think next to the store that sells bikes and fishing gear ... I will try to look next time I go that way...(it should be a while b4 needed! wink.png )

But I have known several people with the cheapo models over the years and they just don't last even when not used much... even most Thai's I see use the more expensive models!

There is actually very little to go wrong with a 2-stroke strimmer/brushcutter unless you run it on the wrong petrol/oil mix. Even an entire bore/piston/bearings kit is dirt cheap, and whole carbs are 300 baht - the clutch assembly just a couple hundred baht.

The biggest problem with a 2-stroke strimmer comes when people don't realise that a petrol/oil mixtures decays. Use it, then dump the contents of the tank and let it run empty and come to a stop. Otherwise, 2 weeks later, your carb is clogged with the emulsified goo that results if you leave it, Thus it won't run, and a local shop tells you you need a new carb for 1,200 baht.

Of course, a 4-stroke Honda won't have this problem. So if you are not aware of how to treat a 2-stoke strimmer - a Honda 4 won't give you this hassle!

I bought a Chinese cheapie - 1,600 baht. The main tube was strong and 1-inch thick. But the trigger control on the bar was fragile and horrid so I replaced it for a solid one for 250 baht - easy to DIY.. For the last 10 months I have used it every 2 weeks for an hour - no problems other than it just clogged up onetime and came to a halt. 20 minutes at JJ got it going again - for no charge. And it's been going faithfully ever since.

But I can't disagree with anything you've said.

I think the heart of the matter is that cheap Chinese stuff is either rubbish from end to end or it isn't - no way of telling till you get one and use it. If you are lucky, it's OK. Looks like my one was OK ;-)

Personally I can't afford to go for £200 items when I can get something similar for £40 - and even when I had the money to do this, I'd still buy cheap on principle, after examining the goods carefully. At the end of the day if it works, and is well-made and lasts, why buy a Rolls Royce to go shopping when a Datsun will do the same job?

And if your Datsun seizes up solid - why replace it with a Rolls Royce when another Datsun is one-fifth of the price?

ps - neither a Rolls or a Datsun will last very long if you don't understand how to maintain them!

R

A quick question to Tchooptip - When you'd finished strimming did you drain the tank and let the motor run to a halt?

If not then the unused petrol/oil mix would have emulsified and clogged your carb.

Something to be aware of maybe??

(And the remaining petroil mix in your tank, when you've finished, sprinkled on weeds and couchgrass, will kill them all stone dead.)

R

Hi every one, thanks for taking time for my trifles.

I went to Home Mart, bought the Honda for 9,500 Baht,

for answering Robsamui about the cheap, made in China models, I have had 3 brush cutters in my previous life in the civilised world before Robinson Crusoed myself here, all of them were working reasonably well, this ^*!" one I bought Home pro, NEVER EVER, I was the only one able to start it in a time between 3 and 10 minuteblink.png even though I made a lot of mechanic in my life, to give you an idea I bought a diesel car with the cylinder head put in the hood by the disgusted owner for an invisible crack, and changed it for a new one on my own.

( Sorry back on topic) So since I developed a personal antipathy for this very brush cutter, I really did not feel like to buy one of his cousins, plus I was very curious about using a 4 stroke. Never was I serious with managing my money so your undoubtably wise argument about the price ( yes I could have 4 Chinese one for the Honda) had no weight against this curiosity for the 4 stroke biggrin.png

Second answer... NO I did not drain the tank and let the motor run to a halt. NO...but I'am ashamedsad.png because it is very clever for sure, how on earth I never thought of that before? It's a hard blow on my supposed mechanical knowledge... but OK my natural modesty will try to take the kick.

Conclusion I tried it a little time yesterday evening almost night whistling.gif I was surprised by the lack of responsiveness, of course I knew the difference between 2 and 4 stroke but for a brush cutter it's strange.

PS: And if your Datsun seizes up solid - why replace it with a Rolls Royce when another Datsun is one-fifth of the price?

Rolls Royce being not the best example, but I would probably replaced it for a more funny car (in my mind) if I could afford it.

For instance I bought a 4 w d...

...But fortunately no one asked me to answered "reasonably" Why did you bought a 4 w d (? I've never been a reasonable person!tongue.png )

I rarely drain the fuel tank, I know I should, but never had a issue with it not starting, even after a couple of months..

One thing, I think few people do is make sure to grease the shaft at the bend where it attaches to the blade. In Canada,(probably most western countries) there were grease tubes that look like toothpaste tubes, there is a small screw that is for such a purpose (in the shaft end that meets the blade) .....but never seen them here, so it's a bit tedious to put the grease inside the shaft end... Best to take off the end bent bit which is only held by a screw and pack in as much grease as possible ... it's a messy job! How often one does this depends on usage!

Some blades work better than others... depends on what one is cutting ....

If using a nylon line, don't bother with the plastic ones that are supposed to feed the line... they rarely do with the ones available here, ... There are metal rings with loop holes, that are much easier!..... good for lighter cutting of non woody weeds and grass... Smaller hardware shops usually carry them...

I rarely drain the fuel tank, I know I should, but never had a issue with it not starting, even after a couple of months..

One thing, I think few people do is make sure to grease the shaft at the bend where it attaches to the blade. In Canada,(probably most western countries) there were grease tubes that look like toothpaste tubes, there is a small screw that is for such a purpose (in the shaft end that meets the blade) .....but never seen them here, so it's a bit tedious to put the grease inside the shaft end... Best to take off the end bent bit which is only held by a screw and pack in as much grease as possible ... it's a messy job! How often one does this depends on usage!

If using a nylon line, don't bother with the plastic ones that are supposed to feed the line... they rarely do with the ones available here, ... There are metal rings with loop holes, that are much easier!..... good for lighter cutting of non woody weeds and grass... Smaller hardware shops usually carry them...

As far as the blade is concerned it was sold with this kind of blade, 3 small ones screwed to a disk, never used it before so?

I just find it kind of dangerous if the screws were not fasted strongly enough.

post-154100-0-68280300-1458285915_thumb.

As far as the blade is concerned it was sold with this kind of blade, 3 small ones screwed to a disk, never used it before so?

attachicon.gif BLADE.jpg

Yeah I don't like those blades either, I forgot what they came with.... I have used them, more for cutting light brush... never seen the blades fly off!

Without knowing what you are trying to cut, it is had to say, but there are oblong blades, usually short to long (about 18cm or so for long ones) If ground is flat these work quite well, if bumpy then the shorter blades are sometimes better! (there is a small hole to place a pin in to lock the blade when removing it or tightening it...)

HomeMart have blades, located at the far end of the tool section (go straight down... !!!)

The other store for parts is near Post office, in Maenam is still there, same side in the next block, second store coming from Bophut. But most hardware stores carry blades... I just drove past it today!

Personally I prefer nylon line, for cutting grass and light weeds... it takes a bit of getting used to keeping the line parallel with what you are cutting!

attachicon.gif BLADE.jpg

Yeah I don't like those blades either, I forgot what they came with.... I have used them, more for cutting light brush... never seen the blades fly off!

Without knowing what you are trying to cut, it is had to say, but there are oblong blades, usually short to long (about 18cm or so for long ones) If ground is flat these work quite well, if bumpy then the shorter blades are sometimes better! (there is a small hole to place a pin in to lock the blade when removing it or tightening it...)

HomeMart have blades, located at the far end of the tool section (go straight down... !!!)

The other store for parts is near Post office, in Maenam is still there, same side in the next block, second store coming from Bophut. But most hardware stores carry blades... I just drove past it today!

Personally I prefer nylon line, for cutting grass and light weeds... it takes a bit of getting used to keeping the line parallel with what you are cutting!

I've just used it right now, the ground is everything but flat, plenty of holes, it is more easy with this one furnished than with the larger blade like a big knife, not so much shocks on the ground, also it has not been done for a few months and herbs are more than one meter instead of let's say 50 centimetres usually, so impossible to see the many coconuts, I was a little scared but with this kind of blade OK.

I have a nylon line too, but in the "jungle" impossiblesmile.png I keep it for the lawn (at least 10 square meter maybe 12 whistling.gif )

And thanks again for your advice since thanks to you I will forget HomePro once for all, plus I found a road not far from my house that cross the Island from Lamai straight to Maenam 200 meters from Home Mart, so no need to take the main road any more!

R

I have about 2 or 3 rai to cut and in the earlier years I bought the cheap Chinese 2 strokes but after the 3rd one died on me I bought a Honda 4 stroke.

True genuine Honda spares cost more but they last longer and after some 8 years it still runs OK and starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull.

On a side topic, not having water or rain is bringing me personally some relief. As there is no rain the damn grass is not growing so I don't spend 1 1/2 hours 5 mornings a week keeping it down and the strimmer is having a well deserved rest.

The men and women who cut the verges locally also use Honda 4 strokes.

attachicon.gif BLADE.jpg

I use a single blade that starts out at either 14 or 16 inches long for most jobs and some 2mm sq nylon for the edges and lighter stuff.

For small trees and big bushes I have also used a circular saw blade with I thing 24 or 30 teeth.

I have tried the red ones but I couldn't get on with them. The nylon was too light so I got the other one from a hardware store locally and that is the 2mm nylon I use.

post-5614-0-17875300-1458296863_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-48120800-1458296869_thumb.jp

I use a single blade that starts out at either 14 or 16 inches long for most jobs and some 2mm sq nylon for the edges and lighter stuff.

For small trees and big bushes I have also used a circular saw blade with I thing 24 or 30 teeth.

I have tried the red ones but I couldn't get on with them. The nylon was too light so I got the other one from a hardware store locally and that is the 2mm nylon I use.

attachicon.gifDSCF3592 resized.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF4099 resized.jpg

Ah ! you saved me from taking a picture!!! thumbsup.gif

Yes those red things or the different brand in green are pretty useless... The metal disc things are OK, there is two types, one you have to take the blessed thing off to change the nylon, the other you don't.. can't remember now which!

I said 18cm blade in my last post, before I realized I had screwed up converted to metric... facepalm.gif 14 inches... some one else can convert that! biggrin.png

I am only a Mod in the Photograph and Arts forum, so cannot correct my own mistakes here! in case anyone wondering!! wink.png

I have used the metal disc for several years now and I buy the nylon at my local hardware store. It is a bit expensive but you can use it in amongst rocks and big stones. It also cuts grass close to roses and flowers etc provided that you slow the engine down.

My strimmer is a Honda UMK 435 and the main problem I have is that it is designed for Thais and smaller people. What that means is that the shaft length is OK for them to work upright but for us taller farangs it means we have to bend forwards a little and it gives me at least a backache after an hour or so.

You can also download the Honda manuals which gives you and idea of what parts you may need from the shop. A picture IS worth a thousand years especially if your technical Thai isn't up to much.

You can also download the Honda manuals which gives you and idea of what parts you may need from the shop. A picture IS worth a thousand years especially if your technical Thai isn't up to much.

You should be able to get the manual from the link below

https://powerproducts.honda.th.com/dcs-wbs/product-type-display.action?productType.productTypeId=655362

BTW, you could have got the Bush Cutter from Honda in Nathon (they are the Power Products dealer here)...it's where I got my Honda lawnmower from.

Sorry for not mentioning this earlier but didn't see this thread as I've been away.

https://powerproducts.honda.th.com/dcs-wbs/product-type-display.action?productType.productTypeId=655362

BTW, you could have got the Bush Cutter from Honda in Nathon (they are the Power Products dealer here)...it's where I got my Honda lawnmower from.

Sorry for not mentioning this earlier but didn't see this thread as I've been away.

Where exactly is this Honda place in Nathon, Neil? I am guessing not the Honda Motorbike shop by the start of the one way system (or end of it depending which way you are going....) Never seen displayed there...

Could it be the Honda Car Shop???

I remember someone else mentioning this place once b4... Do Divulge!

Just in case anyone wants the Honda Product list (in English) it's here:

https://powerproduct...st_locale=en_US

Where exactly is this Honda place in Nathon, Neil? I am guessing not the Honda Motorbike shop by the start of the one way system (or end of it depending which way you are going....) Never seen displayed there...

Could it be the Honda Car Shop???

I remember someone else mentioning this place once b4... Do Divulge!

OK Neilly PM'd me... thumbsup.gif it is the Motorbike shop near the one way, in Nathon, but they have to be ordered in, takes about a week..

The Honda shop Maenam is same family, next time I go by I'll see if they will bring them in also...wink.png

He also said to speak to the owner of the store, not shop staff... they won't know!

Just to give you an idea it was not a kind of "lawn" to cut facepalm.gif

post-154100-0-45817300-1458966424_thumb.

Not easy to avoid all those coconuts hardly visible before cutting, the work of our many squirrels friends around.

post-154100-0-12274700-1458966478_thumb.

But the Honda starts as easily as a motorbike compared to the mean one made in China

by the way the Thai man on the picture is my DIL husband a very friendly young fellowsmile.png

Just to give you an idea it was not a kind of "lawn" to cut facepalm.gif

attachicon.gifP1010771.jpg

Not easy to avoid all those coconuts hardly visible before cutting, the work of our many squirrels friends around.

attachicon.gifP1010766.jpg

But the Honda starts as easily as a motorbike compared to the mean one made in China

by the way the Thai man on the picture is my DIL husband a very friendly young fellowsmile.png

He out to wear protective glasses as I do plus I also wear leather gardening gloves plus a brimmed hat with a face and neck cover to cut down on the grit and small stones.

Well now no excuse to let it get that long! Pick up the coconuts and any rocks sitting around, they are not good for the blade or nylon line, Tchooptip and now we now you can take pictures, I hope you add some to Samui photos ^ wink.pngtongue.png

My Honda mower and weed whacker both start first or second pull. still..thumbsup.gif

I did ask the nice boss lady at Honda shop in Maenam, about bringing equipment in, she said only at the Nathon store...

I have about 2 rai to do plus I do about 1 rai for my neighbour (no men in the household) and in the wetter season working for 1 to 1/2 hours 5 or 6 days a week it takes me about a month to do it all and then I start all over again. Sometime the scrub grass is over a metre high when I get to cut it.

At 71 it is good exercise, but I am grateful at this time for no rain as the scrub doesn't really grow and I can catch up on the other jobs around the place.

I have about 2 rai to do plus I do about 1 rai for my neighbour (no men in the household) and in the wetter season working for 1 to 1/2 hours 5 or 6 days a week it takes me about a month to do it all and then I start all over again. Sometime the scrub grass is over a metre high when I get to cut it.

At 71 it is good exercise, but I am grateful at this time for no rain as the scrub doesn't really grow and I can catch up on the other jobs around the place.

Good for you! .... Nothing like keeping active! thumbsup.gif

You'd better get busy, then ..... looks from the forecast there might be some rain coming next week.... winds up already..... whistling.giftongue.png

Archived