Cambodian PM congratulates new Myanmar's president-elect

geovalin

PHNOM PENH, March 16 (Xinhua) -- Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen has congratulated U Htin Kyaw on his being elected as Myanmar's new president.

"On behalf of the Royal Government and people of the Kingdom of Cambodia and on my own behalf, I have a great pleasure to extend to Your Excellency our warmest congratulations on your election as the President of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar," he said in a message released to the media on Wednesday.

"I am strongly confident that the existing long lasting and traditional relations of friendship and cooperation between Cambodia and Myanmar will be further strengthened and deepened for the mutual benefits of our two nations and peoples, as well as, for a strong and relevant ASEAN Community," he added.

In Tuesday's presidential election, U Htin Kyaw of the ruling National League for Democracy, led by Aung San Suu Kyi, won the presidential election with the highest number of votes of 360 against two other presidential candidates - U Myint Swe (213 votes) from the military and U Henry Van Htee Yu (79 votes) from the same party.

U Htin Kyaw becomes the second president of Myanmar after the military returned power to the civilian in 2011.

source http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/article_xinhua.aspx?id=323653