Motorcycle for 7/11

So.... I live in one of those Bangkok sois where it takes you about 1km to get to the ramp/security/main street and 7/11.

I am really tired of driving the bicycle and was wondering if I just get myself one of those cheap motorbikes from big c or maybe a used one, would I need to register it and get a license? I have no desire to ever drive it on the actual street, just to the ramp. Don't have the license here.... Canadian or Thai.

You need a license to ride a motorbike on any public road. Is that 1km stretch strictly private property all the way to 7/11?

And yes of course you need to register the bike if you intend to ride on public roads though the dealer will usually do that for you unless you buy it privately second hand.

Getting a license is super easy. Info on how to do that can be also easily found.

Without a license and registering the bike and paying the road tax, you also have no insurance.

You need a license to ride a motorbike on any public road. Is that 1km stretch strictly private property all the way to 7/11?

And yes of course you need to register the bike if you intend to ride on public roads though the dealer will usually do that for you unless you buy it privately second hand.

Getting a license is super easy. Info on how to do that can be also easily found.

Without a license and registering the bike and paying the road tax, you also have no insurance.

So that's the advice for when you're back in the other world.

Here in Thailand, however, you're free to do whatever you want.

Sounds like pretty good advice to me ..

I can't understand people who ride without licenses and can't register a bike in their own name. Back in the 90's Nigerian "students" and Somalian refugees just arrived in the UK and bought / drove unlicensed and uninsured cars or ( illegal ) mini cabs around London. Many people had opinions on this.

I mean, OK by me, but if you want to align yourself with a Bosnian refugee, then go for it.

Thais on the whole cant drive too well but at least they hold a license after taking a two-bit driving test.

Sure - you are free to ride unlicensed and uninsured. Free to have an accident. Free to be sued. Free to go sit in the Monkey House awaiting trial. And Best of all - Free to have an accident involving people with connections who will make your life ... well, use your imagination. But Feel Free !

If it's just for that 1 km stretch, You should consider one of those ( Chinese) electric scooters, as far as I know no need for a license and, you only need a parking spot where you can charge it.

Last summer the Big C in Chiang Mai had several electric trikes on display. I don't remember the cost but I think the most expensive, with a large basket and pillion was around 20,000.

I saw one of these, electric bike so no need for license. You may even get the Hello Kitty one

Dude that burns my eyes!

If its private then you can do what you like, But if you don't get it done properly just be prepared to pay, accidents happen closest to home and some people can be careless on those soi's.

If it was me id still cycle and enjoy the health benefits and money saving.

It's a private road.

I didn't renew my Canadian license in 3 years. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Its very easy get driver license in Thailand.

So you do it. No be silly.

Small think can give you big problem.

Even near 7/11 some stuped driver(in Thailand have so many) have iccident with you. You already wrong!! And cant nothing to do, only pay.

So just get license and can by any second hand even for 10-20k. But register on YOUR or wife(gf) name.

Get insurance even 3d class . And you already leaved many problem.

Its simple. Dl and register scooter cost for you near 2k .

And 2 days.

Its big price for avoid many problems?

If it's just for that 1 km stretch, You should consider one of those ( Chinese) electric scooters, as far as I know no need for a license and, you only need a parking spot where you can charge it.

Last summer the Big C in Chiang Mai had several electric trikes on display. I don't remember the cost but I think the most expensive, with a large basket and pillion was around 20,000.
29k and up.

And selsman cant normal explain about guaranty for battery.

• 2 weeks later...