Marriage Visa Requirements

Its my understanding that in aquiring a marriage visa you can have $400,000 baht in a Thai bank account that has been there for 90 days and is from a foreign source, rather than showing a monthly income from either myself or my Thai wife. true/ untrue? After getting married can you get a 90 marriage visa inside Thailand. Can you get a 1 year marriage visa inside Thailand?

Its my understanding that in aquiring a marriage visa you can have $400,000 baht in a Thai bank account that has been there for 90 days and is from a foreign source, rather than showing a monthly income from either myself or my Thai wife. true/ untrue?

Untrue if you are applying for the first time after Oct 1st 2006

After getting married can you get a 90 marriage visa inside Thailand. Can you get a 1 year marriage visa inside Thailand?

yes and yes

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Untrue for new applications. The only method now is family income of 40k per month. This now allows the wife or a combination which was not the case before.

You can convert another visa inside Thailand if you meet the 40k requirement (3 months proof) and extend for one year. There is also a provision to allow 60 days according to Sunbelt but not all officers would be aware of it but that would not require income proof.

• 3 weeks later...

Untrue for new applications. The only method now is family income of 40k per month. This now allows the wife or a combination which was not the case before.

You can convert another visa inside Thailand if you meet the 40k requirement (3 months proof) and extend for one year. There is also a provision to allow 60 days according to Sunbelt but not all officers would be aware of it but that would not require income proof.

________________________________________________________________________________

_

I work abroad for approximately 5/6 months(cruise ship industry) and then come home for a 2 or 3 month vacation. My wife's and my income meet the 40k requirement, however, my income is from outside the country. We've never been too concerned about the visa requirements before because I'm very seldom here for more than three months in a row, but now that the 400k bank requirement doesn't exist anymore, does it matter that my income is from outside the country? If so, any other options you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

For you visa entry is probably the best option, either single entry non immigrant O visa before each visit or multi entry each year issued at an overseas Consulate on the basis of your marriage. Income is not a factor in this.

If you want to extend your stay at immigration you can use any family income but if from overseas you will likely have to have a letter from your Embassy to confirm the amount and normal pay voucher/tax or whatever as backup for immigration.

Bank deposit is no longer an option for marriage type extensions of stay but for those in the system believe the passbook should be proof enough.
Thank you.

I guess most of us who have been around a while have Internet Banking in Thailand. Most Immigration offices have Internet connection. I'm sure an Immigration Officer looking at an applicants bank statement online would have to agree it's authentic and a printout of the same should suffice.

Come on Thailand --- THIS IS THE 21st CENTURY :o

As I have stated in earlier post , I work rotations out of Thailand 28 days on and 28 days off . I earn US dollars ouitside the country and my wife to be doesn't work .

I am only now aware that the 400k baht in a thai bank account isn't sufficient .

Will wage slips from overseas job suffice ?

Will there be any tax implications ?

The company pays Malasian taxes on the money I earn . :o

As I have stated in earlier post , I work rotations out of Thailand 28 days on and 28 days off . I earn US dollars ouitside the country and my wife to be doesn't work .

I am only now aware that the 400k baht in a thai bank account isn't sufficient .

Seems to me all you need is a multi entry Non-Imm “O” visa that gets you a 90 day entry stamp each time you come in. Those are pretty easy to get and not income verifcation needed. I got one in China a couple of years ago with no problem (Though it turns out I didn’t need it). Why would you need the 1 year extension?

Nevertheless, do you currently have an extension based on Marriage using the 400k in the bank? Indications are they are "Grandfathering" existing extensions and are allowing the bank deposit to qualify.

Otherwise, go to Embassy and sign statement of your income, the consulate will notarize it. Take that and your bank book showing regular deposits of the amount you claim on the statement to immigration when applying for your extension.

TH

Seems to me all you need is a multi entry Non-Imm “O” visa that gets you a 90 day entry stamp each time you come in. Those are pretty easy to get and not income verifcation needed. I got one in China a couple of years ago with no problem (Though it turns out I didn’t need it). Why would you need the 1 year extension?

Nevertheless, do you currently have an extension based on Marriage using the 400k in the bank? Indications are they are "Grandfathering" existing extensions and are allowing the bank deposit to qualify.

Otherwise, go to Embassy and sign statement of your income, the consulate will notarize it. Take that and your bank book showing regular deposits of the amount you claim on the statement to immigration when applying for your extension.

TH

I only come in on the 30 tourist stamp at present , just gathering documents to apply for the first time .

The marriage visa gives me a few more benefits as far as the investments I buy in Thailand , eg. if the marriage turns sour , I will at least be entitled to 50% of assets that I have purchased after the registration of the marriage . Also it is not impossible that I may work in Thailand in the future in the same industry , also it covers my new wife and chidren on my health insurance that is paid for by my employer .

Looked at the O visa , but belive the marriage visa will work better for me .

Cheers ,

Jim .

Am not sure you understand (or I understand you). There is no marriage visa. There is a non immigrant O visa to visit family which most married people start with and that, or another non immigrant visa, can be extended one year at a time by meeting the 40k family income requirement of immigration. If your company insurance likes it better that will be an advantage for you but do not believe most people would be effected one way or the other. Marriage itself provides the joint property status.