Break Ins - Every Night

moskito

what is the Thai law on shooting trespassers? Do you have to drag them in to the house or is the fact you shot them in your yard sufficient justification?

Thais can if they have a registered firearm and it was proven it was used in self defence.

Farangs are not allowed to own registered firearms kept in their house as far as I know.

For Phuket province last I heard if you have the mayors permission you can hold firearms in your home, car etc. This was from the thais who run the firing range on Phuket (near the elephant tour area) via gf translation.

On the subject of weapons in general the thais have a more continental attitude to carriage of weapons (France, Germany etc) in that you can use them responsibly i.e as in defense. If you take the pss and just brandish them in public etc then you'll be in the sht.

A thai was telling me that falangs just as thais are permitted to defend themselves with hand-weapons.

I woudn't recommend knives though, as they are usually designed to kill rather than subdue or beat back an attack.

Pepper sprays a favourite but the 'sabre' batons (extendable thin truncheon) is a wise choice for home defense, or tasers.

But of course as poster mentioned if theres grevious wounding/murder without just cause you'll have to take the responsiblity.

Edited by JimsKnight

some ppl here doesnt really read.... my neighbor have two dogs!! they were poisoned and lie dead in the garden. A dog is a good thing, as far as you will let him sleep IN THE HOUSE he is the best alarm system one can get for money.

Walls?? forget it, it makes it even more easy for the burglars as they are hidden from views from the street. Double locked doors and windows and in case a light sensor IN the house are a good idea too.

And for SURE I will never change to Pattaya..... and by the way....UDON....do u know the prices in Phuket?? do u really think a police guy lift his ass for 3000baht ?? guess u are kidding. put another zero behind it to have a chance on it.

Like I mentioned before. The best idea in this country is to put a bounty on their head... lets say 10 to 20.000 and they are in jail after a week.

If u ever shoot or kill one of this guys you will visit his friends in jail too. Cut him off or break his arms but do not kill him not even in self defense.........

I for myself moved to Thailand because I thought its a save country....what a mistake :D:D:o

Moskito; has there been a marked increase over the past, say, three months ?

Its just that a local slob, Rawaii, has recently been let out of nick after a two and a half year stretch for burglary and his prison experience hasn't phased him in the slightest as he has, apparently, rekindled his career to great effect.

Luckily my landlord knows him and has warned against doing any of the drums he owns.

Basically, the sooner the ghastly reptile is banged up again the better.

Jack, I saw those but i think you only get 1 shot? or can you take multiple shots? There

could be many intruders

I like mace, non lethal but it'll stop someone for 10 mins easy. And painful. I maced myself

to be sure :o (very small dose). If they cant see you they cant kill you and you

can do anything you want to them. It'll work on many quickly, say theres 3 intruders in

front, just sweep a fog at there eye level and presto 3 intruders turn into crying infants.

Against a determined gunman very iffy. Knife be careful. Big wood no problem.

You need to practice with it and be careful you dont get maced yourself, dont move into the fog.

take care

nam

Edited by Nam Kao

Jack, I saw those but i think you only get 1 shot? or can you take multiple shots? There

could be many intruders

I like mace, non lethal but it'll stop someone for 10 mins easy. And painful. I maced myself

to be sure :o (very small dose). If they cant see you they cant kill you and you

can do anything you want to them. It'll work on many quickly, say theres 3 intruders in

front, just sweep a fog at there eye level and presto 3 intruders turn into crying infants.

Against a determined gunman very iffy. Knife be careful. Big wood no problem.

You need to practice with it and be careful you dont get maced yourself, dont move into the fog.

take care

nam

You can change the cartridges very quickly, and if there are multiple assailants i forgot to mention my wife has a 12 gauge pump action so it is up to you to summarise how dangerous the situation is likely to become. :D

Jim, can you conceal carry everywhere (with permission)?

Thanks

nam

As far as I've been told (by thais) if its non-lethal (pepper spray, small baton) then yes you can.

But don't take just my word for it.

Best guess its a grey area. Don't get caught but unless its in a government building/bank, you shouldn't get more than a fine or a slap on the wrists.

Check with the police stations! A letter from the chief that you have a carried weapon, would ease any police check entanglements, although I have never ever been searched by the police, only asked for my passport/thai drivers license.

I think pepper spray is probably the easiest to obtain. But I think it hasn't got the 'punch' of CS gas or Mace.

CS gas is a real bastard to get hit with, and I think the UK police force changed to pepper spray cause it was seen as too 'inhumane' to use against law breakers. Its similar to Mace effect but cs gas comes out like a ferocious steam cloud where mace is like a thinnish stream of acid-liquid.

Mace and CS gas good for different types of circumstances. Outdoors in the wind, CS gas can be a liability as opposed to mace. But CS gas is very hard to dodge than say mace which fires out like a liquid. Conversely, if used indoors CS gas lingers and may effect the sprayer (although it will be only slight).

In fact I know some lads who consider weapons common sense if they are set upon by huge attackers. ie if your a slender built kind of guy (like most thais/some falang) a hulking bodied, man mountain falang will make mincemeat of them, hence carrying it. I've also met an aussie who liked to carry a knuckle duster just for the sake of it! He was the reason why people argue you shouldn't carry any weapons. So theres a big debate to the whole weapons rubicon.

Different areas may be more stricter on falang/thai than others.

For firearms I'm pretty sure we can't carry them about clandestinely unless your a police attache worker, or given diplomatic status (FBI / MI6 / CIA etc).

Out in the Countryside carriage of hunting rifles is usually commonplace, or at least is was in Phitsanoluk (where gunshops were in every town!).

Edited by JimsKnight

Moskito; has there been a marked increase over the past, say, three months ?

Its just that a local slob, Rawaii, has recently been let out of nick after a two and a half year stretch for burglary and his prison experience hasn't phased him in the slightest as he has, apparently, rekindled his career to great effect.

Luckily my landlord knows him and has warned against doing any of the drums he owns.

Basically, the sooner the ghastly reptile is banged up again the better.

@ Patriot has there been a marked increase ????? what are u talking about?? ITS DAILY ....and good that your landlord know this guy, so why not check on him. May be you should make a phone call to chalong police station about that.

@ all the others here, guess u are the big boys, running around with weapons in your houses and are awake at the slightest noise. Fact is that 80% of the houses were robbed while people sleep, between 3-4 in the morning. I dont think YOU will wake up, and what happend WHEN ?? you jump imidiately out of your bed, grab you pump gun or pepperspray and start fighting some <deleted> not even half of your age????? Funny idea, sometimes I really belive I live in wonderland here, surrunded by lots of big children. Sorry but thats not the way to solve the problem. The problem here is that police or government doesnt work for Farang, and why should they? we are the monkeys here and the only reason why they smile at us is because they know they are no 1 in the world, otherwise not so many ppl wants to live here.

The Thaigoverment has to learn sooner or later that this shit farangs bring a lot of money in. Not only the tourists do. Remember Phuket 10 years ago? you dont even have to lock your house, motobike or car....do that these days.

What are YOU waiting for?? being the NEXT ???? :o

Ok, just a couple of points, really.

Firstly, ordinary and sensible security will deal with most would-be burglars. I've been burgled 3 times: twice by people who had access to the house anyway and once when I got home very late and forgot to lock a door. My own stupid fault and lessons learned.

Secondly, the local police (Cherngtalay) couldn't have been more helpful. I knew and they knew that there was no chance of solving it or recovering the property, but they did everything they could anyway. And no, I don't bung them. I simply treat them with respect, as they do me. I have no status or standing in the community, I'm just Joe Public.

And thirdly (and most importantly), to those of you considering arming yourselves with all manner of weaponry - get a grip. Escalation solves nothing: the arguments are off topic but I simply refer you to the state of affairs in the USA.

the arguments are off topic but I simply refer you to the state of affairs in the USA.

Off topic is right. What is going on in the USA has nothing to do with the price of somtam in Thailand!

Perhaps you should honestly review the demographics of crime in England before popping off about the USA. :o

Ya no weapons, just give em a good ole Liberal group hug and everything will be fine, just

ignore the blood pouring out of you and your wifes screaming as she is raped and killed.

These bad guys are just mis-understood and need some love and caring.

Is that the Nazi German tanks rolling into town?! quick the flowers!!!

:o

Edited by Nam Kao

Back when I was going to Honduras, and seeing a lady there, I early on gave a gift of a bottle to the police.

Honduras was very dangerous, especially in her area (lock the door, and windows at night, no one out) but the police really looked after the house.

I hate that you have to do it, but it is a small investment.

I've also read about dog training, where the dog is trained to only take food from it's owner, therefore limiting the chance of poisoning.

My dog would help a burgler in, and if it scratched it's belly, would even carry my stuff out for him, the bas*ard :o

:o:D

Back when I was going to Honduras, and seeing a lady there, I early on gave a gift of a bottle to the police.

Honduras was very dangerous, especially in her area (lock the door, and windows at night, no one out) but the police really looked after the house.

I hate that you have to do it, but it is a small investment.

I've also read about dog training, where the dog is trained to only take food from it's owner, therefore limiting the chance of poisoning.

My dog would help a burgler in, and if it scratched it's belly, would even carry my stuff out for him, the bas*ard :D

i bought a dog they took him aswell :D:D:D

the arguments are off topic but I simply refer you to the state of affairs in the USA.

Off topic is right. What is going on in the USA has nothing to do with the price of somtam in Thailand!

Perhaps you should honestly review the demographics of crime in England before popping off about the USA. :o

My point was about escalation in arming oneself. English firearms laws severely restrict escalation, but there have been celebrated cases where it has all gone horribly wrong. I used the USA as an example of escalation in an armed society. As for 'popping off' about the USA - I have lived there and am very fond of it, so please be assured that I have no axe to grind. Also, demographics are entirely irrelavent to escalation.

A good friend recently had a breakin/walkin. She is a fairly elderly farang lady. She is pretty together normally but one evening when she thought she'd locked the front door and it wasn't.

T the thief just walked in took a laptop and small amount of money from her purse.

Not really a very big haul!

I happened to show show up the next day and helped with alerting the Chalong police.

The quick response was astonishing. There were 7 law enforcement guys there inside of the hour. Apparently there had been a rash of similar occurrences that evening.

The moral: lock your door!

Edited by kasi

[My point was about escalation in arming oneself. English firearms laws severely restrict escalation, but there have been celebrated cases where it has all gone horribly wrong. I used the USA as an example of escalation in an armed society. As for 'popping off' about the USA - I have lived there and am very fond of it, so please be assured that I have no axe to grind. Also, demographics are entirely irrelavent to escalation.

Indeed so your offhand comment referring to the "state of affairs in the USA" has no meaning!

What you fail to mention is how gun control countries who have had the misfortune to adopt it has been a miserable failure.Here's a nice essay for you

and another

Edited by kasi

• 2 weeks later...
Haven't heard of any breakins out in Kamala area yet .....

There are regular break-ins in Kamala. Often repeated break-ins of the same house.

The houses I know to have been burgled have all been slightly isolated, the burglaries taking place at night when the owners have gone out.

Its not funny anymore and a lot of Farangs which live here in Phuket Sayuan, Rawai and Nai Harn Area can not sleep really anymore since the burglars visit their houses.

I have three break ins in my own house during the past 2 years. But whats going on here in the moment really makes me wonder. Its a small area her and it should be possible to catch these <deleted> fast if the police want too. Last night they broke my neigbours house, poisend his two dogs just for stealing a golden watch and some small money.

It really make me scare and I often ask myself if the true humans called Thaipeople really can do what they want to us without getting followed and brought to justice.

I really which to catch one of these guys.

Phuket Gazette, our famous newspaper here wrote about ONE break in and made a big story of it. Its not sometimes it is EVERY SINGLE NIGHT now. I hope it will become more popular what a save country Thailand is. :o

:D

get an alarm system with monitoring fitted which will call the police or other keyholders. For Phuket look up Guardian Alarms. Western run.

Big mistake!

You haven't got the cops on-side.

They need an "incentive" to do anything.......

Offer them 3000bt reward for aprehending the thief or thieves..... see what happens.

I agree. You have to work with the system here.

My experience is, the greedier the people are, the easier to manipulate, and they will do something stupid. For example, lock up their buddies who do the break-ins - if there is enough reward.

Might be easier to hire guards/gardeners though. Hard to find good ones, but the burmese gardener is the ultimate security system. If worst comes to worse, he's been through a war back home, but it doesn't even come to that, having them there keeps the burglars away.

• 1 month later...
Ya no weapons, just give em a good ole Liberal group hug and everything will be fine, just

ignore the blood pouring out of you and your wifes screaming as she is raped and killed.

These bad guys are just mis-understood and need some love and caring.

Is that the Nazi German tanks rolling into town?! quick the flowers!!!

Apropos NAZIS

Baan%20Sayuan.jpg

that was happend to one of our neighbors last night in baan sayuan Phuket. Thats really not

funny anymore. Guess the cross is in the wrong direction

Have you thought about CCTV surveilance ? In the UK its possible to buy tiny cameras that take very good photage. They can easily be identified from this, and in many cases the guy is well known to the police anyway.

These tiny cameras are available in black and should be installed in dark corners with black wires - black colours mix with the night when these guy are out doing their crimes. They are quite cheap too. They are connected to your pc, and recorded any photage of movement, not just throught the day and night but for up to six weeks. Then you wipe the file from your pc, if there has been no trouble. Then the cycle begins all over again. Point them at likely points of entry, like doors and windows. Why not try 3 or 4.

There might even be a position here for a Phuket expat here. Go to a UK security convention, get the info and training you need. An installation service like this seems to be just what thousands of expats over there are crying out for..

Apropos NAZIS

Baan%20Sayuan.jpg

that was happend to one of our neighbors last night in baan sayuan Phuket. Thats really not

funny anymore. Guess the cross is in the wrong direction

It looks to me as if some ass hole is trying to upset a German resident there. I hate this stuff. All the Germans I have ever met were great people to be with.

If one can afford it, a guard would be the safest way of protection. That's the way it happens in Brasil. The better areas are totally isolated with a high fences and armed guards. I guess sooner or later this development will reach us all.

Have you thought about CCTV surveilance ? In the UK its possible to buy tiny cameras that take very good photage. They can easily be identified from this, and in many cases the guy is well known to the police anyway.

These tiny cameras are available in black and should be installed in dark corners with black wires - black colours mix with the night when these guy are out doing their crimes. They are quite cheap too. They are connected to your pc, and recorded any photage of movement, not just throught the day and night but for up to six weeks. Then you wipe the file from your pc, if there has been no trouble. Then the cycle begins all over again. Point them at likely points of entry, like doors and windows. Why not try 3 or 4.

There might even be a position here for a Phuket expat here. Go to a UK security convention, get the info and training you need. An installation service like this seems to be just what thousands of expats over there are crying out for..

hi yaimar here Big C down stairs, at the back, has every type of small camera, infra red as well. plus a 12 hour recording. m/c and cables/fittings you can put your own system in. with a little help. I did did this a few years ago, very cheap. the other thing is, Put switches on the doors that become live when door open/ plunger is released, when free from door frame {conected] wired to a large bell{/supercheap and phuket town] noise is what they dont want this is the cheapest system . Back up with12volt battery and car horn when the supply fails or its cut

quote] hi yaimar here Big C down stairs, at the back, has every type of small camera, infra red as well. plus a 12 hour recording. m/c and cables/fittings you can put your own system in. with a little help. I did did this a few years ago, very cheap. the other thing is, Put switches on the doors that become live when door open/ plunger is released, when free from door frame {conected] wired to a large bell{/supercheap and phuket town] noise is what they dont want this is the cheapest system . Back up with12volt battery and car horn when the supply fails or its cut

If I were you guys I'd get over to the big c to discuss your security issues with Yaimar.

You must realise that you are in an extremely dangerous position once the ass-hole is in your house and your presence. He is almost certainly armed, and might even be high on drugs. Don't go there.

Your very first line of defence is to make it as difficult as possible to gain entry. You need quality strong doors and windows. Always use the locks. Never leave windows open. Get motion detectors to flood light the property when activated. As Yaimar says noise is good, get some of his stuff installed. And if you can afford it get the CCTV installed. It is not dead money. It will add value to your home.

Actually, having read this thread, If I were thinking of buying a property in Phuket, I would only be interested in property which already had all the above in place already