800,000 for retirement extension: Exactly when?

Another retirement extension, coming up — not my first.

Question #1: 800K in the bank how long before: 2 months or 3 months?

Question #2: Must be in the bank 2/3 months before date my extension expires, or is it before the date I go in to apply for another year extension?

(Answers not specified at http://www.mfa.go.th)

The back story:

US citizen in Thailand on retirement extension, several years already. In years past 800K sat quietly in savings account, year to year; never touched it. Last year decided to withdraw it from the bank account and keep in cash in my bank safety box. Now must return the money to bank account before next retirement extension. Exactly how long before that?

(Yes, I know about pension verification letter from US consulate, but I’m not going that route.)

Thank you for information about this.

As a matter of interest, what happens if the money has not been in the bank for the full 3 months, maybe a week short? Will they simply refuse the extension?

I ask because I nearly had that problem last year. I went to my bank and tried to deposit a cheque drawn on my UK bank account. They told me that it cannot be done, only if it is a bankers draft. I explained that I had done it many times, but they were adamant. I also tried to withdraw the cash using my UK debit card. Again I was told cannot do. Again, I have done this before. I went from bank to bank to try to withdraw the funds from my debit card, but the same. I was told to withdraw 20,000 at a time from the ATM. Not ideal as I needed to top up by at least 300,000 Baht.

Eventually I found a branch with an extremely helpful young lady who said that of course I can deposit my cheque. The but was that it could only be deposited at my branch. I went back to my branch with the young lady's contact number and told them to call her. She talked her through the operation and my cheque was deposited.

Maybe something wasn't quite right as it took 10 weeks to clear, whereas usually it takes about 4. When I renewed the extension, the funds had been in my bank for 3 months and 2 days. Very close, too close for comfort. It could easily have been a day or 2 shy of the 3 months.

As a matter of interest, what happens if the money has not been in the bank for the full 3 months, maybe a week short? Will they simply refuse the extension?

I ask because I nearly had that problem last year. I went to my bank and tried to deposit a cheque drawn on my UK bank account. They told me that it cannot be done, only if it is a bankers draft. I explained that I had done it many times, but they were adamant. I also tried to withdraw the cash using my UK debit card. Again I was told cannot do. Again, I have done this before. I went from bank to bank to try to withdraw the funds from my debit card, but the same. I was told to withdraw 20,000 at a time from the ATM. Not ideal as I needed to top up by at least 300,000 Baht.

Eventually I found a branch with an extremely helpful young lady who said that of course I can deposit my cheque. The but was that it could only be deposited at my branch. I went back to my branch with the young lady's contact number and told them to call her. She talked her through the operation and my cheque was deposited.

Maybe something wasn't quite right as it took 10 weeks to clear, whereas usually it takes about 4. When I renewed the extension, the funds had been in my bank for 3 months and 2 days. Very close, too close for comfort. It could easily have been a day or 2 shy of the 3 months.

If it has not been in the bank for 3 months on the date of application they certainly would refuse to accept it,

I really would love to see some initiative from the Thai authorities on this. If a falang is willing to just keep rolling over the 800,000 baht on term deposit, all immigration should need is a bank book showing this. Silly me- I'm asking for intelligence from a bureaucracy.

I really would love to see some initiative from the Thai authorities on this. If a falang is willing to just keep rolling over the 800,000 baht on term deposit, all immigration should need is a bank book showing this. Silly me- I'm asking for intelligence from a bureaucracy.

They will accept fixed term accounts but you have to sure they do not roll over during the 3 months or they can reject an application if it rolls over to another account.

Joe - is there any absolute definition as to what is and what is not an acceptable place to deposit the necessary funds for retirement and/or marriage extensions? Clearly savings accounts and term deposits at banks recognised by the BoT, I suppose. How about investment in funds on the SET, are these acceptable? I ask because certain funds will pay a dividend of 6-7% (though the capital value fluctuates day-to-day), far better than the risible 1-2% paid on term deposits at local banks.

They will accept fixed term accounts but you have to sure they do not roll over during the 3 months or they can reject an application if it rolls over to another account.

Yes, I realise that. However, I fail to understand what their thinking is. It's still in the bank, is it not?

I had the 800,000 baht in some sort of a certificate and the account could be accessed at any time. I never had a problem with it until Chiang Khan got a new woman boss. She would not accept that and insisted that it had to be in a savings account. I agreed that I would put the funds into a savings account the next day. That wasn't good enough either. She insisted that it had to be in the savings account for three months. I drove from Loei to the US Embassy in Bangkok and since it fell on a weekend, I could not get an income letter until Monday. That made me overstay for two days and cost me a thousand baht. Different offices make their own rules.

I don't have any problems following the rules but it would surely help if the rules stayed the same. Even the 90 day check in is now a hassle. Before she came the bar code was scanned, you signed a paper and that was it. Now a copy of every page in your passport is required as well and the TM 47 form. I think she looks for ways to harass the farangs. Maybe someone from immigration will read this and tells her that I criticized her.

If it has not been in the bank for 3 months on the date of application they certainly would refuse to accept it,

I have witnessed , while also doing an extension, a refusal to extend becuase the applicants 800,000 had a change in account no. less than 3 months before even though the money had never been withdrawen, only transferred within the Banking system in the same Bank Branch !

Even documents from the Bank showing the continuous deposit from end date of one to the other on same date was not being accepted.!

What the outcome was I was not there long enough to learn.

It would appear that it is ambiguous when the rules state" Deposit of /or " for not less than 3months can be interpretted as "continuosly in 1 deposit account ".sad.png What if an applicant presented collective deposits totalling several million but each less than 800,000? facepalm.gif

I just had the same problem. Had the money in investment account and when matured rolled over, but every time you get a new bankbook and bankbook number. Immigration refused as they said they only look at the last bank book and the money had not bern in for 3 months, even though you could see the money had been rolling over. Udonjoe said immigration have the right to refuse.

You came across a common problem here. If a teller (or similar) does not know how to do something, they tell you that YOU cannot.

As to your original question, yes they can be quite stringent about the qualifying period.

If you apply early, not an issue as you could just wait. If you are late a fine is likely.

I just had the same problem. Had the money in investment account and when matured rolled over, but every time you get a new bankbook and bankbook number. Immigration refused as they said they only look at the last bank book and the money had not bern in for 3 months, even though you could see the money had been rolling over. Udonjoe said immigration have the right to refuse.

Don't quite understand what you say, I thought it was quite clear that if you have had the money required in a Thai bank account for 3 months by the time you make your application and have a letter from the bank confirming the amount being in the account for 3 months don't see how this can be refused.

Unless you change the bank account during the 3 months period.

Don't quite understand what you say, I thought it was quite clear that if you have had the money required in a Thai bank account for 3 months by the time you make your application and have a letter from the bank confirming the amount being in the account for 3 months don't see how this can be refused.

The money has been in the bank since 2013. I invest the money in a thai term deposit. When it is due i reinvest in another term deposit.

Everytime i roll the money over or reinvest they close the old account and open another account and new passbook, but you can see from the bank books that as one investment matures it is transfered to the new investment.

The last investment matured on 7 th march, so according to the immigration officer i only had the money in the bank since the 7th march.

I showed him all the investment bank books where you can clearly see the money progression from one bank book to the next, but he only went on the last bank book.

Hope that is clearer.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply to quoted text

I had the money in the same account for several years. I had checked with immigration if that was acceptable. I was told that if I could get the money out at any time, it would be OK. The key was being able to withdraw the money at any time. As I posted the new boss would not accept that account. That cost me a trip to Bangkok and a two day overstay fine of a thousand baht. YES, not at all logical. I had the proper letter from the bank confirming my balance.

The money has been in the bank since 2013. I invest the money in a thai term deposit. When it is due i reinvest in another term deposit.

Everytime i roll the money over or reinvest they close the old account and open another account and new passbook, but you can see from the bank books that as one investment matures it is transfered to the new investment.

The last investment matured on 7 th march, so according to the immigration officer i only had the money in the bank since the 7th march.

I showed him all the investment bank books where you can clearly see the money progression from one bank book to the next, but he only went on the last bank book.

Hope that is clearer.

Sorry not really, rolleyes.gif I can only guess that immigration saw from 7th March to when you applied for next 1 year extension it was less than 3 months in a different bank numbered account.

I do the same thing as you but I make sure that the next term deposit with a new book does not finish within the 3 months leading up to my next application.

I had the money in the same account for several years. I had checked with immigration if that was acceptable.

I was told that if I could get the money out at any time, it would be OK.

The key was being able to withdraw the money at any time.

As I posted the new boss would not accept that account.

That cost me a trip to Bangkok and a two day overstay fine of a thousand baht. YES, not at all logical. I had the proper letter from the bank confirming my balance.

1st part :- correct as l understand it too.

2nd part - 3rd part - 4th part :- correct but or because l would say not to do anything within the 3 month period leading application day.

As l have written already and to write now I do not do anything to interfere within the 3 month required period of monies deposited in any form and always make it showing for 4 months or more. smile.png

Hope that is clearer.

Sorry not really, rolleyes.gif I can only guess that immigration saw from 7th March to when you applied for next 1 year extension it was less than 3 months in a different bank numbered account.

I do the same thing as you but I make sure that the next term deposit with a new book does not finish within the 3 months leading up to my next application.

For years I did the money in the bank routine, but switched to the embassy letter last year.....glad I did.....went to the US Embassy outreach here in Pattaya and was a breeze.....both at the outreach and at immigration...??

Might you please be so kind as to advise what you had to supply to the embassy for documentation of your income?

I, too, am thinking of going this route......

Thank you!! smile.png

For years I did the money in the bank routine, but switched to the embassy letter last year.....glad I did.....went to the US Embassy outreach here in Pattaya and was a breeze.....both at the outreach and at immigration...??

Might you please be so kind as to advise what you had to supply to the embassy for documentation of your income?

Thank you!! smile.png

If from the US all you need is your passport and a completed income affidavit form. You swear an oath in front of a consular officer it is true and correct.

If not then it depends upon which country you are from.

• Like 1

Thank you!! smile.png

If from the US all you need is your passport and a completed income affidavit form. You swear an oath in front of a consular officer it is true and correct.

If not then it depends upon which country you are from.

Thank you, Kind Sir. I do indeed hold a US passport. I just thought they would want some verification beyond my sworn statement.

It's truly heartwarming to see that a man's word still counts for something in this crazy world......

Thank you!! smile.png

Does UK ever do outreach in Pattaya?

Not that I know of. You apply for the income letter from the UK embassy by post. No need to go to the embassy. See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

Not that I know of. You apply for the income letter from the UK embassy by post. No need to go to the embassy. See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

Do you know if the Australian embassy also does this?

Do you know if the Australian embassy also does this?

They do them as a statutory declaration and ask for no proof.