Metropolitan police chief tells foreigners to carry passports or copies at all times

rooster59

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“The reason I decided to do the mission tonight is because many entertainment venues which attract foreign tourists are located in these areas. And since many foreigners visit these areas I’m afraid some of them might have ill-intentions to be involved in dark business, or even crimes, especially trans-national crime.

“This operation also helps to boost confidence between tourists and the security forces”, he added.

The biggest pile of horsesh!t I've ever heard.

People who frequent clubs = criminals is what he is saying. Jesus weptfacepalm.gif

Where is he saying that? Stop running off at the mouth and showing your stupidity, or, complete lack of comprehension skills.

“The reason I decided to do the mission tonight is because many entertainment venues which attract foreign tourists are located in these areas. And since many foreigners visit these areas I’m afraid some of them might have ill-intentions to be involved in dark business, or even crimes, especially trans-national crime.

“This operation also helps to boost confidence between tourists and the security forces”, he added.

People who frequent clubs = criminals is what he is saying. Jesus weptfacepalm.gif

Where is he saying that? Stop running off at the mouth and showing your stupidity, or, complete lack of comprehension skills.

I'm afraid it's your comprehension skills that are lacking. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Whether you need a photocopy or original is missing the point.

It's this idea that foreigners need to carry ID because they might be criminals!

Is anyone else beginning to feel like we aren't welcome?

Carrying ID is normal for everyone. Thais have to carry their National ID card. In the US to do most things like drive a car, go to the bank, write a check, etc. You are asked for ID.

The problem from my point is that targeting foreigners simply to check if they carry ID is not tourist friendly at all.

Agree!

In Europe - if this would have been said by a police official about non Germans, non Swedes, whatever, there would have been an anti racism campaign and the police chief could apply for social benefits after handing in his badge and gun, being dishonorably discharged.

When I was teaching last year in rural Thailand many of my primary students would come to school with cuts and bruises from farm work. Others had bad teeth from lack of dental care, some had persistent illnesses, and far from all received the necessary childhood vaccinations. Still, I am sure that the powers that be know what is best for Thailand, and expend funds appropriately.

Metropolitan police chief tells foreigners to carry passports or copies at all times

This needs to be clarified and advertised as law, (show me the law)

i don't wear gold in public as i don't want to draw attention to myself

and be robbed, (or attacked and or killed) yet the government now

enforces the law that all foreigners must carry passports, i will now

be a target for robbery because as an Australian my passport will

be worth $15000 on the black market, how will a desperate thief

know if i have an original or copy, rob me, beat me, kill me only to

get a photocopy, wake up Thailand.

QUOTE;

Cost to Buy a Fake Passport and Degrees in Australia

in Counterfeit Goods

According to a news article, the price of a fake Australian Passport on the Internet is $806 (600 Euros). For an extra $268 (200 Euros), the website will include fake ID cards and fake driver licenses.

A fake diploma from a university in Australia can be bought online for $249.

(Fake Diploma Information and Costs.)

Source: Asher Moses, “Identities for sale: fake documentation on the rise,” Sydney Morning Herald, January 26, 2013.

But on the black market

http://www.havocscope.com/fake-id/

Yes, have to respect the rules of any country that you visit or live in. I carry a photo of my passport on my phone to ensure I abide by the law.

At the end of the day if this catches only one illegal foreigner or only saves one life by arresting a potential threat then this initiative has worked.

I am sure the very same people that suggest this is too controlling of the govt will be the same ones that complain about the govt if someone that this initiative is targeting commits a violent crime.

Can't win if you do and can't win if you don't.

There is however no law in Thailand which say you must carry your passport or copy with you at all times. Ask your wife's hi-so immigration friend, they are imposing rules that aren't based on any law. If they do their job the "potential threat" will not enter the country and thus the harassment of tourist should not be needed. If a tourist or expat overstay their visa period then why don't they track that person down and arrest him/her, why do they need to use a shotgun approach which alienate tourist ? It's not about who's winning, it's about the rule of law, they are arresting tourist and expats that don't carry their passports or copies, which is illegal.

Yes, have to respect the rules of any country that you visit or live in. I carry a photo of my passport on my phone to ensure I abide by the law.

At the end of the day if this catches only one illegal foreigner or only saves one life by arresting a potential threat then this initiative has worked.

I am sure the very same people that suggest this is too controlling of the govt will be the same ones that complain about the govt if someone that this initiative is targeting commits a violent crime.

Can't win if you do and can't win if you don't.

oh right they do that in Australia do they? stop anyone for no reason and ask to see their passport? I should not be surprised from you I suppose but I think you would be in bliss in North Korea

OK I do carry the main page photocopied in case of an accident.

I certainly would not carry my valuable passport at all times.

How long before it got bent, wet, torn, stolen, lost or whatever.

I am surprised none of these Police guys hasn't insisted we all have plastic IDs issued at say 5,000 Baht each!blink.png

BTW Have those Elderly Bridge Club members received apologies for harassment and wrongful arrest and detention?sick.gif

Edited by English 1

What about the corrupt Thai Police carrying ID so foreigners can know which ones are going to collect bribes, extort them or even trump up false charges? Another reason to leave this shit hole

Just a silly question:

How does a passport indicate whether a visitor to Thailand is involved in "transnational crime"?

Silly!

The passport photo will show him in a striped Tee shirt, with a bag marked "Swag" in 4 languages over his shoulder!

This needs to be clarified and advertised as law, (show me the law)

i don't wear gold in public as i don't want to draw attention to myself

and be robbed, (or attacked and or killed) yet the government now

enforces the law that all foreigners must carry passports, i will now

be a target for robbery because as an Australian my passport will

be worth $15000 on the black market, how will a desperate thief

know if i have an original or copy, rob me, beat me, kill me only to

get a photocopy, wake up Thailand.

QUOTE;

Cost to Buy a Fake Passport and Degrees in Australia

in Counterfeit Goods

According to a news article, the price of a fake Australian Passport on the Internet is $806 (600 Euros). For an extra $268 (200 Euros), the website will include fake ID cards and fake driver licenses.

A fake diploma from a university in Australia can be bought online for $249.

(Fake Diploma Information and Costs.)

Source: Asher Moses, “Identities for sale: fake documentation on the rise,” Sydney Morning Herald, January 26, 2013.

But on the black market

http://www.havocscope.com/fake-id/

I most countries it is a legal requirement to carry ID

Seeing as most foreigners can not get Thai ID cards it is reasonable that one should carry some other form of ID as well as some proof that they are not over stayers.

Maybe they should have licenced kiosks at airports, ports, boarder crossings & immigration offices to issue temporary paper card ID cards valid for up to 3 months.

What about the corrupt Thai Police carrying ID so foreigners can know which ones are going to collect bribes, extort them or even trump up false charges? Another reason to leave this shit hole

You know there are still countless foreigners either living here or visiting who still think this is Paradise!crazy.gif

This has been policy for decades , in nearly every country you need to do this except your own , although these spiffs are now getting more arrogant by the day , now that they have their power base back in the form of the Junta........................................................coffee1.gif

A lot of countries you dont carry your passport for obvious reasons. If it gets lost or stolen then you have real problems and maybe lose your job if you had a work permit in it

Whether you need a photocopy or original is missing the point.

It's this idea that foreigners need to carry ID because they might be criminals!

Is anyone else beginning to feel like we aren't welcome?

err that would be....criminals....are not welcome.

Logic would dictate, if you are not a criminal you wont have a problem.

Feeling unwelcome is a state of mind, and its all in your mind.

Ive been here for nearly a decade and never felt like that.

But by all means, do keep peddling that line of thought if it keeps the negative loudmouths away.

Just what you want when you are enjoying a night out.

Taken outside and made to feel uncomfortable by the biggest mafia in Thailand.

Only if you can't produce your passport or a copy. Nothing unreasonable about that, Thais have to be able to produce their original ID cards at all times, why should exceptions be made for foreigners?

Unreasonable comes into it when papers are demanded under threat of arrest and prosecution 'Just Because'. You may not be bothered about officials throwing their weight about just because they can, but it certainly is not the hallmark of a civilised society.

"“This operation also helps to boost confidence between tourists and the security forces”, he added."

In which strange alternative universe does the (mild) harassment of tourists in tourist entertainment areas help to boost tourist confidence in the Royal Thai Police Farce?

If the good General could guarantee that the streets of Bangkok are safe for tourists to carry their original passports around all day / all night because Thai criminals are deterred by the world-class police work we see every day in the photo ops, then this would help.