Land and Houses band and CIMB (bank) for fixed term deposit for 800k bt visa extension requirement

Does anyone have current experience of either CIMB bank and/or Land and Houses bank with regard to opening a fixed term deposit account to squirrel money away for the 800k baht requirement for visa extension?

I notice that both these banks give better than average interest rates on this type of account (1.7% for 6 mths). I just want to know about peoples' experience with dealing with them and particularly when the visa renewal/extension comes round later this year, was the bank helpful in prodcuing a letter for Immigration? Also how safe are these banks? I notice that they seem only to have one branch each in Hua Hin where I live.

I notice that some other less well known banks offer better rates, but I want a bank with a branch that I can go into in Hua Hin if required and not deal over the phone or via email, etc.

In anticipation many thanks

KittenKong, on 19 Mar 2016 - 12:15, said:KittenKong, on 19 Mar 2016 - 12:15, said:

I use CIMB in Pattaya for my retirement extension. No problems at all.

You should be able to get 2+% from them for one of their special terms which vary every month. I'm currently on 2.0% for 5 months and 2.1% for 11.

You used a fixed term with CIMB? ... They told me that they cannot force an update to the account savings book on the day ... (I have several accounts in the same book) So I need to invest on the day to get the book updated ... this is with a Preferred Account. So thought that I just move money from my CA and open a new Preferred Account. Next day, if I wanted to, I could just reverse the transaction.

What did you do please? I can get a printout on a piece of paper but not sure that IMM would accept that.

Have my 800k with L&H and just renewed retirement extension. The branch is used to doing this for expats however so no problem in getting the letter - 100 baht charge.

Where are you based?

I pass the L&H branch in Pattaya several times a week. In 6-7 years I've never seen a customer in there - Thai or foreigner. Never. Only staff.

This has put me off banking with L&H although they often advertise good rates on fixed accounts.

You used a fixed term with CIMB? ... They told me that they cannot force an update to the account savings book on the day ... (I have several accounts in the same book) So I need to invest on the day to get the book updated ... this is with a Preferred Account. So thought that I just move money from my CA and open a new Preferred Account. Next day, if I wanted to, I could just reverse the transaction.

What did you do please? I can get a printout on a piece of paper but not sure that IMM would accept that.

I just went in to CIMB the day before my extension, got a photocopy of the book from them and a letter stating the current balance, and took it all in to Jomtien Immigration the next day. The book wasnt updated, but it does show the beginning and end dates of the TD, and the letter confirms it all.

I have had recent experience with LH where I keep my fixed account for immigration purposes. My home branch in Bangkok has furnished the bank letter for 100 baht but I had to provide a form letter (used an old BBL letter) as this branch did not know what to do. Please note that most branch offices of LH bank lack english skills so expect to communicate in Thai to get best results. The LH staff are very helpful if you can speak a little Thai.

Have my 800k with L&H and just renewed retirement extension. The branch is used to doing this for expats however so no problem in getting the letter - 100 baht charge.

Where are you based?

I pass the L&H branch in Pattaya several times a week. In 6-7 years I've never seen a customer in there - Thai or foreigner. Never. Only staff.

This has put me off banking with L&H although they often advertise good rates on fixed accounts.

Pattaya - branch upstairs Big C Extra.

Agree normally looks quiet but whenever I actually go in there are normally a couple of Thai transactions whilst I am there and waiting for the letter the other week there was another foreigner renewing his deposit.

i have more than 3accs.with LH.BANK and have been with them for over 4yrs.

when my extension comes around they know exactly what to do,even addressing the letter to the imm.commanding officer.

then at the end of the yr. i get all the tax certificates of the amount of tax witheld on fixed accs.

i have found them very very helpfull [mall branch korat]

and most important me and mrs.meat find they doo give decent interest rates.more like back in the uk. BUILDING SOCIATY'S.were always better than main stream banks.

Archived