Canned tuna fish/what's the best

Spaniel

For anyone that has been here for a while they know that there are many brands of canned tuna available on the market, but what's the best? My vote is for the Ayam Brand, Tuna Chunks in either Sunflower Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil. B 61 per can at Foodland.

post-11958-0-01863800-1458382922_thumb.j

Slightly off-topic, but is there a funny export-oriented tax at work on tuna? Tuna's the thing that sells in the west for hard currency, and it seems to be very expensive compared to other canned fish. Sardines in Thailand are about 60% cheaper than in the UK, but tuna's actually more expensive. ASDA in the UK sells tuna in water - chunks, decent quality - for 53p (26 baht) for 200g. You can get lower quality stuff for 40p/20 baht: way below what you pay in Thailand. It's almost as if the Thai government doesn't want the local population to eat what they know they can readily sell for dollars, pounds and euros.

Incidentally, if you like canned fish try whipping the SeaLect spicy sardines with tomato and spring onions: well tasty. Sardines often seem to be labelled "Mackerel" for some reason. You also need to watch out for "Sardines" that are actually Sardinella Gibossa - a different species that tastes of mud.

Canned tuna recall in America: spotted this in today's (March 19th) news feed:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2016/03/18/chicken-of-the-sea-bumble-bee-tuna-recall/81957202/

Back in the 70's (IIRC) they discovered that canned tuna had 100-160 microgrammes of mercury per can and recalled the lot because they thought it was contaminated. Then they discovered that this was the normal level, caused by the fact that the fish stood near the top of a food chain and there is a lot of mercury in the water thanks to undersea volcanoes. So then the allowed it back on the shelves. The mercury is methyl mercury, as it had already been absorbed by the animal. It's therefore highly absorbable by you, and you keep it for life. I remember some doctor saying that you'd have to eat two tins a day for a year to consume a significant amount that might have a health consequence. Frankly I don't think that's in fact a lot of fish.

So anyone who eats a lot of fish might want to think about eating more of the stuff further down the food chain.

Canned tuna recall in America: spotted this in today's (March 19th) news feed:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2016/03/18/chicken-of-the-sea-bumble-bee-tuna-recall/81957202/

Ever since I found out that Starkist and Bumblebee are both now owned by Thai companies and that the Tuna is Thai, I quit buying it. I buy Alaska salmon and cod.

There's just something about that entire Thai fishing industry that doesn't seem on the up and up.

Cheers.

I don't eat foods soaked in oil. I only eat canned tuna in spring water. I can't really tell a difference between brands to be honest.

If the Tuna is canned during the winter months will it still be classed as spring water or not whistling.gif

I don't eat foods soaked in oil. I only eat canned tuna in spring water. I can't really tell a difference between brands to be honest.

If the Tuna is canned during the winter months will it still be classed as spring water or not whistling.gif

Lol.... Any type of water is fine by me. However I have yet to see "fall ", "winter", or "summer" water...... Only "spring".

Slightly off-topic, but is there a funny export-oriented tax at work on tuna? Tuna's the thing that sells in the west for hard currency, and it seems to be very expensive compared to other canned fish. Sardines in Thailand are about 60% cheaper than in the UK, but tuna's actually more expensive. ASDA in the UK sells tuna in water - chunks, decent quality - for 53p (26 baht) for 200g. You can get lower quality stuff for 40p/20 baht: way below what you pay in Thailand. It's almost as if the Thai government doesn't want the local population to eat what they know they can readily sell for dollars, pounds and euros.

Incidentally, if you like canned fish try whipping the SeaLect spicy sardines with tomato and spring onions: well tasty. Sardines often seem to be labelled "Mackerel" for some reason. You also need to watch out for "Sardines" that are actually Sardinella Gibossa - a different species that tastes of mud.

Online ASDA has no tuna that cheap (cheapesr is 41.7p/100gm), I guess the instore prices are cheaper than online.

http://groceries.asda.com/search/Tinned%20tuna

My preferences in Thailand is Sealect Tuna Chunks in brine, Bt.41.00 for a 184gm tin makes for a quick cheap lunch when time is the enemy.

Online ASDA has no tuna that cheap (cheapesr is 41.7p/100gm), I guess the instore prices are cheaper than online.

The cans are actually 160g. Same size as Thailand, I think, and it is 53p/26baht. You can get Princes "Flakes" - bit mushy - for 40p/20 baht. Given that they save the cost of shipping and retialing there's something very odd about the price of tuna in Thailand. It should be significantly cheaper than the UK.

yeah. posted a few days ago if you bothered to read the replies to your own thread.

Thanks for your reply. I read all the replies. This was a different article about the same thing and thought some would be interested. If you can't be helpful don't bother replying.

• 1 year later...

In response to my own earlier request for a source of albacore tuna in BKK, it turns out that it is readily available, but not sold using the term "albacore."   This puzzled me for a long time, since in the US albacore commands a premium price and is always marked.  In Tops I find that the Nautilus brand sold as "sandwich tuna" tastes like albacore although that term does not appear on the label anywhere.

Archived