Video of feeding frenzy by ‘greedy’ Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai goes viral

rooster59

It's interesting and shows the clash of cultures especially on the BTS overhead train in Bangkok on business mornings or evenings. There is a quite respectful practice by most Thais, other Asians and foreigners when queuing for the trains, and they can be terribly crowded at peak hours.

I have seen smaller groups of Chinese tourists who, instead of queuing up to the sides as the arrows indicate, will just blatantly stand in front of the doors, where people are exiting and try to push in and start boarding early. There are guards at the BTS who blow the whistle and come over and straighten them out, and I think they get the message from all the dirty looks they get from everyone else. They will learn soon enough if exposed to enough of this.

That's what a lot of South Asians do on the Metro in Dubai.

Suprising how many you can carry away from the train when you put your arms out and propel 100Kg in their direction.

biggrin.png

I'm 6ft 4" with big shoulders and refuse to leave the footpath and put myself in danger by walking on the road when wave upon wave of buses dump them in Pattaya and they March 4 abreast down skinny foot paths. The looks of surprise when barging through is priceless

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's really sad to see so many farang come out of the woodwork in order to bash and generalize the behavior of 1.4Billion people.

Please read carefully. We are talking about Chinese TOURISTS. Not the entire man, woman and child population of China.

I think it's best split the mainland Chinese into two groups. Group tour tourists and independent tourists. The group tour people are shown in the video. They don't have English language skills and are happier being herded around and acting like a herd. The independent tourists have booked their own flights on Air Asia or similar , have some English skills, are younger, more educated, have googled up all sorts of info on the destination and are out to as much as they can. They are more sophisticated and unlikely to be seen having a dump in the moat or visiting a buffet like in the video. Driving skills are poor.

It's easy to generalise though. I saw a small tour group of mainlanders at BKK check-in level. There was about 12 sat on the floor outside a Family Mart having a one of the tours meals. They all had instant noodles from the family mart and used the shops boiling water. They looked quite happy. As I got closer I could read the tour group stickers they had stuck on their shirts. It was a Vietnamese tour group and not Chinese at all. To be honest if I was Vietnamese or a mainlander and all I could afford was one of these ultra cheap tours dining at Family Marts. I would join it in a flash. Much better than staying at home or working in some awful factory making iPhones 12 hours a day or worse. I bet they love it in Thailand.

It's interesting and shows the clash of cultures especially on the BTS overhead train in Bangkok on business mornings or evenings. There is a quite respectful practice by most Thais, other Asians and foreigners when queuing for the trains, and they can be terribly crowded at peak hours.

I have seen smaller groups of Chinese tourists who, instead of queuing up to the sides as the arrows indicate, will just blatantly stand in front of the doors, where people are exiting and try to push in and start boarding early. There are guards at the BTS who blow the whistle and come over and straighten them out, and I think they get the message from all the dirty looks they get from everyone else. They will learn soon enough if exposed to enough of this.

That's what a lot of South Asians do on the Metro in Dubai.

Suprising how many you can carry away from the train when you put your arms out and propel 100Kg in their direction.

biggrin.png

You are of course referring to Indians mostly. I remember in Saudi there was 5 buses to transport people from their place of work to the accommodation. One night I was walking towards the bus and a group of maybe 20 Indians were climbing through the windows to get on. This was ridiculous as there was seating for 200 people on the buses. But it is in their mind that this is what they must do and they do it.

They tend to stand right in front of the exit so no one can get off the BTS I know I have seen it many times. So yes they do deserve criticism no matter what anyone here thinks. When you go to another country you should act in a manner that is acceptable to everyone. If you cant do that then don't go to another country

The racism in this thread is appalling. This is a video of a small group of people behaving badly. Not so badly that they have caused any harm to anyone else but just badly enough to enable hundreds (possibly thousands) of people online to denigrate all 1.3 billion Chinese people.

Once you turn into a racist; you have lost all the "moral superiority" that you thought you had.

Free speech, the right to an opinion however much you may disagree. The PC shower think that's dangerous,we are now going to start lynching the Chinese. There are historical statues you lot want taking down,books that you want banned ( Huckelberry Finn for instance, that was reading material at my school) and we are not allowed an opinion if it's regarded as racist. In the free world people should have a right to say what they think,the bigots of today may yet turn out to be right.

Just let them pay for the food that was not eaten. The Thais wanted the Chinese tourists now they got them.

Yes, let them pay triple prices for the food not eaten OR force them to eat whatever they take (same way as they force-feed geese!!)

Some of the commentators claiming the replies are "racist" are really missing the point. While a few might be motivated with that in mind, most people are making an observation on Chinese cultural "habits", such as pushing each other in line, talking very loud, gang-rushing food lines, exits, and, yes, the way many of them act at all-you-can-eat buffets. Americans look just as crude and tasteless when they line up at stores 24 hours or more before they open, sleep overnight on the sidewalk, have a mad scramble when the doors open, and fight over sale items when the stores open the day after Thanksgiving. It's not a racist observation. It's just people pointing out what appears to be offensive and without a sense of propriety.

I am not saying that everyone here criticizing the Chinese tourists are racist, some have been careful with their wording so at to demonstrate clearly that they are not racists while still being critical of some Chinese peoples behavior, but others have been outright racist, and that is perfectly clear in the posts saying things like Chinese people are animals and a sub-species, that is racism, end of.

The racism in this thread is appalling. This is a video of a small group of people behaving badly. Not so badly that they have caused any harm to anyone else but just badly enough to enable hundreds (possibly thousands) of people online to denigrate all 1.3 billion Chinese people.

Once you turn into a racist; you have lost all the "moral superiority" that you thought you had.

Free speech, the right to an opinion however much you may disagree. The PC shower think that's dangerous,we are now going to start lynching the Chinese. There are historical statues you lot want taking down,books that you want banned ( Huckelberry Finn for instance, that was reading material at my school) and we are not allowed an opinion if it's regarded as racist. In the free world people should have a right to say what they think,the bigots of today may yet turn out to be right.

Free speech does not extend to the right to abuse people based on their ethnicity anywhere, that is just highly simplistic rhetoric bleated by the racists every time they are called up on their hate speech. And by the way, generalizing based on race, ethnicity or culture, is not an "opinion", it is merely an inability for rational thought and an indicator of cowardliness.

You think bigots may yet turn out to be "right"? What exactly do you mean by "right"? That their generalizations may yet hold true for every single person of the race in question? Seems just a little unlikely, don't you think?

Some of the commentators claiming the replies are "racist" are really missing the point. While a few might be motivated with that in mind, most people are making an observation on Chinese cultural "habits", such as pushing each other in line, talking very loud, gang-rushing food lines, exits, and, yes, the way many of them act at all-you-can-eat buffets. Americans look just as crude and tasteless when they line up at stores 24 hours or more before they open, sleep overnight on the sidewalk, have a mad scramble when the doors open, and fight over sale items when the stores open the day after Thanksgiving. It's not a racist observation. It's just people pointing out what appears to be offensive and without a sense of propriety.

I am not saying that everyone here criticizing the Chinese tourists are racist, some have been careful with their wording so at to demonstrate clearly that they are not racists while still being critical of some Chinese peoples behavior, but others have been outright racist, and that is perfectly clear in the posts saying things like Chinese people are animals and a sub-species, that is racism, end of.

It's very wrong of us,we should change our life style to make them feel comfortable, spit phlegm in their general direction,they'll feel right at home.

Why are none of these comments removed for race baiting? Is it assumed that there will be no ethnic Chinese reading to be offended by the blatant racism?

Don't be so politically correct, such a Western trait. This thread is commenting on the appalling behaviour of the Chinese tours.

Sadly many of us have come across their terrible behaviour , so it is being racist ( is being Chinese a race?)

So easy on every situation to spout- you are racist.

Generalizing about a race on a forum is not being politically incorrect, it is being morally incorrect, do you also think that morals are a Western trait?

Anyway, yeah, it's pretty easy to spout that they are racist when they are calling Chinese people "animals" and a "sub-species", but carry on, defend the bigotry and criticize those who are appalled by their racism, I am sure you know what you stand for.

And yes, Chinese is an ethnicity not a race, but if you are clutching at that straw then you will only expose yourself as looking for ways to be racist without being able to be called a racist, anyway, racism is an umbrella term that covers race, ethnicity and culture, so we got you covered, racist apologist.

Ah the delicious semantics of the English language.

Racism has turned out to be last resort of the politically correct- it is banded about so much. It does not cover culture etc. You might as well say- if you do not like ( for example Americans ) as a whole -you are racist , what boll**ks.

It would be interesting of course to know if you actually live in the Kingdom, do you come across the behaviour of the Chinese tours, do you have Thai friends who have worked dealing with buffet breakfasts ( the bf did for a while )

I'm not going to change your mind- so mea culpa I'm racist - I can live with that.

Free speech does not extend to the right to abuse people based on their ethnicity anywhere, that is just highly simplistic rhetoric bleated by the racists every time they are called up on their hate speech. And by the way, generalizing based on race, ethnicity or culture, is not an "opinion", it is merely an inability for rational thought and an indicator of cowardliness.

You think bigots may yet turn out to be "right"? What exactly do you mean by "right"? That their generalizations may yet hold true for every single person of the race in question? Seems just a little unlikely, don't you think?

Wasn't it Enoch Powell who foresaw blood on the streets when Labour was giving out British Passports like confetti ? He wasn't far wrong the little bigot

I dont care who you are, where you come from, your age, gender, race, nationality...whatever

there is simply no excuse for behaviour like this

Of course there's an excuse. There's plenty of people from around the world who aren't familiar with all-you-can-eat buffets that haven't been trained in the etiquette of eating at places like these.

There was an agenda - this video was taken and posted to disparage Chinese people. This behaviour could very well have been a daily occurrence at this particular buffet, allowed by the owners and the guests pay enough to cover the wastage. We don't know if they were charged for the wastage - they probably were. It actually looks like a special buffet put on for a large Chinese tour group.

A lot of people are liking anti-Chinese comments on these posts. Shame on you! People are quick to show their feelings when certain nationalities are on display doing things they don't like.

Congratulation you are a knight of the politically correct smile.png

But I guess you are wrong about those people not trained in the etiquette of eating at places like these.

I am convince it is a question of personal sensibility, and respect for others.

Some persons with no education at all, even Amazonian tribe people with no tie at all with the civilisation would behaved with more dignity.coffee1.gif

I respectfully disagree. Half the world's population would behave like that at an all-you-can-eat buffet... and worse. It's only the well fed rich people of the world that can control themselves in such dining situations.

What I see in the video is a lot of people who can't usually afford such food becoming really excited about eating as much as they want.

They were nearly as bad at the Hilton lunch time buffet when it first opened and the poorer population could afford their special opening promo rate.

That buffet looks like a room full of Chinese people offending no one. The person who recorded and posted it had no other motive than to denigrate Chinese people and this forum brings out a lot of hatred toward the Chinese. Perhaps people should realise that a lot of Chinese people are quite skilled in the English language and also read this forum.

It's very wrong of us,we should change our life style to make them feel comfortable, spit phlegm in their general direction,they'll feel right at home.

????

Wasn't it Enoch Powell who foresaw blood on the streets when Labour was giving out British Passports like confetti ? He wasn't far wrong the little bigot

No, he said "rivers of blood" and he was clearly far from being right. You are right about him being a little bigot though.

when observing Chinese in situations like this one must understand that 30 years ago the people in China were standing in food lines waiting for rations. The timid ones didn't get fed; thus the mad scramble for food. Unfortunately, even in today's relatively prosperous times, they still act like hogs at the feeding trough.

Yes, they are like British MPs with there noses in the trough when it comes to collecting their "expenses".

when observing Chinese in situations like this one must understand that 30 years ago the people in China were standing in food lines waiting for rations. The timid ones didn't get fed; thus the mad scramble for food. Unfortunately, even in today's relatively prosperous times, they still act like hogs at the feeding trough.

Yes, they are like British MPs with there noses in the trough when it comes to collecting their "expenses".

but they do it with style

Why are none of these comments removed for race baiting? Is it assumed that there will be no ethnic Chinese reading to be offended by the blatant racism?

Don't be so politically correct, such a Western trait. This thread is commenting on the appalling behaviour of the Chinese tours.

Sadly many of us have come across their terrible behaviour , so it is being racist ( is being Chinese a race?)

Generalizing about a race on a forum is not being politically incorrect, it is being morally incorrect, do you also think that morals are a Western trait?

Anyway, yeah, it's pretty easy to spout that they are racist when they are calling Chinese people "animals" and a "sub-species", but carry on, defend the bigotry and criticize those who are appalled by their racism, I am sure you know what you stand for.

And yes, Chinese is an ethnicity not a race, but if you are clutching at that straw then you will only expose yourself as looking for ways to be racist without being able to be called a racist, anyway, racism is an umbrella term that covers race, ethnicity and culture, so we got you covered, racist apologist.

Racism has turned out to be last resort of the politically correct- it is banded about so much. It does not cover culture etc. You might as well say- if you do not like ( for example Americans ) as a whole -you are racist , what boll**ks.

It would be interesting of course to know if you actually live in the Kingdom, do you come across the behaviour of the Chinese tours, do you have Thai friends who have worked dealing with buffet breakfasts ( the bf did for a while )

I'm not going to change your mind- so mea culpa I'm racist - I can live with that.

Racism was actually one of the first things to be addressed by PC people. It is banded about so much because the world has actually progressed to the point where the bigots are a minority.

Racism does cover culture, you are just plain wrong, at least it is by the UK definition where the Racist Discrimination Laws define racism as any discrimination on the "basis of their colour, nationality, ethnicity, religion etc". There is no semantic debate on this matter by anyone who is not looking for a way to avoid having their bigotry labeled as racism. And saying that you do not like a nationality or race for that matter is not racism, it is the belief that there is some inherent difference that is racism, to believe that all Americans are the same based on the behavior of some would be by definition racism.

Why are you interested whether I live in Thailand? I do, but what has that got to do with not generalizing on the whole of the Chinese nation? You might care to note that the only thing I have complained about are the ridiculous generalizations that amount to racism, that right is reserved by all, not only those effected by rude Chinese people in buffets.

Anyway, I lived in Yarawat for a long time, I shared a house with Chinese immigrants and I currently work with two Chinese immigrants. Your BF having served a Chinese person in a buffet is a ridiculous excuse for generalizing on their ethnicity, you clearly do now know Chinese people if that is the best you can come up with. I also come across Chinese tourists, I am not going to pretend that they are all polite, the point is that they do not make all Chinese people "animals" or a "sub-species", are you starting to get it now?

Racism was actually one of the first things to be addressed by PC people. It is banded about so much because the world has actually progressed to the point where the bigots are a minority.

Racism does cover culture, you are just plain wrong, at least it is by the UK definition where the Racist Discrimination Laws define racism as any discrimination on the "basis of their colour, nationality, ethnicity, religion etc". There is no semantic debate on this matter by anyone who is not looking for a way to avoid having their bigotry labeled as racism. And saying that you do not like a nationality or race for that matter is not racism, it is the belief that there is some inherent difference that is racism, to believe that all Americans are the same based on the behavior of some would be by definition racism.

Why are you interested whether I live in Thailand? I do, but what has that got to do with not generalizing on the whole of the Chinese nation? You might care to note that the only thing I have complained about are the ridiculous generalizations that amount to racism, that right is reserved by all, not only those effected by rude Chinese people in buffets.

Anyway, I lived in Yarawat for a long time, I shared a house with Chinese immigrants and I currently work with two Chinese immigrants. Your BF having served a Chinese person in a buffet is a ridiculous excuse for generalizing on their ethnicity, you clearly do now know Chinese people if that is the best you can come up with. I also come across Chinese tourists, I am not going to pretend that they are all polite, the point is that they do not make all Chinese people "animals" or a "sub-species", are you starting to get it now?

I give in- and will crawl back into my non politically correct hole ( with my dog- I'm sure you would call him racist as he does not like ethnic soi dogs too much)

I stand totally corrected- of course when did I refer to 'animals' or ' sub species' ??

Have fun defending the Chinese tours that are causing havoc in the Kingdom .

And this is the tourist the Happy General and his gang wants. Get rid off the Europeans, Americans and Australians. Lets get the good Chinese, Japanese and Koreans in.

Do you live in SE Asia or have you travelled around the area.

This article is about the Chinese.

The Japanese have the most beautiful manners and pay serious attention to etiquette . The Koreans I have met would never behave like this.

Try visiting the restaurant in Phoenix Golf Clubhouse. Full of Koreans shouting at each other, most still wearing their golf hats.

Still vastly more refined than the Chinese though. Hope the MC never take up golf.

I give in- and will crawl back into my non politically correct hole ( with my dog- I'm sure you would call him racist as he does not like ethnic soi dogs too much)

I stand totally corrected- of course when did I refer to 'animals' or ' sub species' ??

Have fun defending the Chinese tours that are causing havoc in the Kingdom .

I didn't say you said that, I never accused you or any other individual, I stated a fact, that some comments on here are racist, have a read through and you will find them.

I also never defended Chinese tours causing havoc in Thailand, and I really do not appreciate your silly attempt to twist my statements into something they were not.

All I have done, repeatedly, is defend the Chinese ethnicity as a whole from racist generalizations. I can't see why that would be a problem for anyone who is not at least a closet racist.

Nice comparison with the dog by the way. crazy.gif

Most of the people on this forum were too young to remember the hordes of newly prosperous working-class British who invaded the Costa Brava in Spain for cheap holidays in the early fifties. Most of them had never stayed in a hotel or flown in an aeroplane. They had never drank wine before and they indulged in an orgy of drinking it, because it was so cheap. They were not well educated and many lacked good manners. Their behaviour was not much better than the present wave of newly prosperous working-class Chinese, taking cheap holidays in Thailand. At least they don't walk around half naked covered with tattoos like many western tourists

What a load of <deleted>.
Hardly a counter argument!

The chavs are still around, mostly frequenting Ibiza these days, getting the rest of us Brits a bad name with their excessive drinking and rowdy behaviour, complaining about the foreign food and getting sun burnt as they sleep off the alcohol in the afternoon sun, that's if they can get their sorry <deleted> out of bed before the sun goes down and the next round of drinking begins.

The Chinese do seem to have a problem with understanding the concept of queuing, they all make a mad dash instead of waiting their turn; this has amused me greatly on a number of occasions as I sit back and watch them elbowing each other out of the way to get to pole position!

What has this and the other apologists' posts got to do with Chinese in Thailand? Some strange people can't wait to belittle their own kind. Stick to the topic for goodness sake.

Don't we love them, those "high quality tourists" whom Thai authorities permanently try to "lure" in with ever new freebies and goodies and relaxed visa schemes, to boost Thai tourism? I feel great being surrounded by so much Hi Quality now, I love it!!!! sick.gif

I feel great being surrounded by so much Hi Quality now, I love it!!!!

When has it ever been a high class destination? As long as I can remember Thailand has always attracted very low class tourists. I think some foreigners here start to get a bit deluded as to who they really are, they emigrated with a bit of money which seemed a lot here and suddenly they thought they were middle class, I meet them a lot, very low class people with their noses in the air, funny bunch, but I guess benefiting from the economy is the closest they will come to being important.

You don't have to be hi-so to be disgusted by their behaviour. Nor are people interested in the reasons for it. It is just uncivilised, and non-Chinese have the right to be offended by it.

Don't we love them, those "high quality tourists" whom Thai authorities permanently try to "lure" in with ever new freebies and goodies and relaxed visa schemes, to boost Thai tourism? I feel great being surrounded by so much Hi Quality now, I love it!!!! sick.gif

I feel great being surrounded by so much Hi Quality now, I love it!!!!

When has it ever been a high class destination? As long as I can remember Thailand has always attracted very low class tourists. I think some foreigners here start to get a bit deluded as to who they really are, they emigrated with a bit of money which seemed a lot here and suddenly they thought they were middle class, I meet them a lot, very low class people with their noses in the air, funny bunch, but I guess benefiting from the economy is the closest they will come to being important.

You don't have to be hi-so to be disgusted by their behaviour. Nor are people interested in the reasons for it. It is just uncivilised, and non-Chinese have the right to be offended by it.

If they were a little higher class they would not be offended, they would right it off a difference in culture and class. Which reminds me of a saying I once herd, it goes something like, 'We can only criticize in others that which we can find in ourselves'.

How is it racism? It's just inexcusable behaviour by a mass of tourists who happen to be Chinese and people are rightly complaining about it. Playing the race card is just a get out used by the leftist, PC crowd.

Not just pigs, wasteful pigs. Eat what you put on your plate. Show some manners. coffee1.gif

The "manners" you assume to be held worldwide are not, believe it or not you are in Thailand where the accepted manners are completely different from your country. Finishing what is on your plate is rude in Thailand, as it is in China, as it infers that you have not been given enough food. At least try to learn basic Thai manners and leave off trying to impose your very foreign manners onto people in Thailand and other Asians who share a similar culture. wai2.gif

Archived