Do Chanot and Sor.Por.Kor land ownerships conflict?

My wife has a house on 20 rai of sor-por-gor land (held on the assumption she's a needy farmer), and has the opoortunity to buy some chanot (red seal) land. She's worried that ownership of the chanot would interfere with her legal right to her sor-por-gor land. What are others' experiences?

Perhaps it would be better for her adult child to buy the land? (That child is dual citizenship with a Western surname, and is is on the same house-reg blue book as the mom.)

Any advice would be appreciated. Is there a good lawyer to contact? Are we worrying too much?

The only advice I can give you is to look at the conditions under which she got the land (somewhere there must be a document she signed to get the land) and talk to a lawyer or land office. Any advice here can be invalid as the conditions under which the land is granted may differ from person to person. In my experience however is that this type of land is granted for a specific purpose and if you don't contravene that you are okay, but like I said make certain.

In the area up Isaan that I'm familiar with, "sor-por-gor" land is traded between villagers, and some "owns" quite a number of plots, and in addition also Chanote deed land on top. Normally the land is traded on a sales agreement only with Head-of-Village as witness, so no names are changed on the original deeds. How they at later date will upgrade the deed to Chanote I don't know – it's said that sooner or later all, or most deeds will be upgraded, when Land Office get time to measure and make the paperwork.

In that particular area it seems like no one has any concern about also owing Chanote, but things may be different in other provinces or areas, so as user Southernstar says above, check with a local lawyer or Land Office, perhaps Head-of-Village also knows...

Edited by khunPer