Hotels near Savannakhet consulate

Avalon Residence. http://www.agoda.com/en-gb/avalon-residence/hotel/savannakhet-la.html?checkin=2016-03-23&los=2&adults=2&rooms=1&cid=-1&searchrequestid=1f98d681-1494-4cc4-836c-818dca2066c9

• I haven't stayed myself but a friend recommends it. Short walk to the bus station and easy walk or tuk tuk ride to the Consulate
  • Free wifi.
  • Don't know about scanner but most hotels can copy things for you. If not there are people offering copying services outside the Consulate.
  • Like 2

Avalon Residence. http://www.agoda.com/en-gb/avalon-residence/hotel/savannakhet-la.html?checkin=2016-03-23&los=2&adults=2&rooms=1&cid=-1&searchrequestid=1f98d681-1494-4cc4-836c-818dca2066c9

• I haven't stayed myself but a friend recommends it. Short walk to the bus station and easy walk or tuk tuk ride to the Consulate
  • Free wifi.
  • Don't know about scanner but most hotels can copy things for you. If not there are people offering copying services outside the Consulate.

the only comment I would add is that I have noticed several comments regarding the fifth floor! Apparently on this floor there is a noise from the lift so don't let them put you on that floor

• Like 1

Tuk tuk are cheap so don't worry about how close.

I stay Mekong Restaurant. Rooms aren't great but nice restaurant overlooking Mekong. Nice staff, good food and quiet. Wifi etc. Can easily setup laptop whatever in restaurant and work away.

Arrange with Tuk Tuk driver to pick you up next day at 1.00pm. 100THB Border to embassy 100THB to hotel. Give him a tip and your well looked after. Don't use the service next door to embassy for forms etc. Their available at the counter and my bloke checks I have it filled in correctly smile.png

cheers

• Like 1

I stay Mekong Restaurant. Rooms aren't great but nice restaurant overlooking Mekong. Nice staff, good food and quiet. Wifi etc. Can easily setup laptop whatever in restaurant and work away.

Arrange with Tuk Tuk driver to pick you up next day at 1.00pm. 100THB Border to embassy 100THB to hotel. Give him a tip and your well looked after. Don't use the service next door to embassy for forms etc. Their available at the counter and my bloke checks I have it filled in correctly smile.png

cheers

NO, "tuk tuks" are not cheap. They are extremely expensive. They run a scam ripping of visa people.

You must always negotiate a price before you get on the tree-wheels. If the con-man, driving the 3-wheels, says 100 bath - is that per person ? or for everybody ???????????????

8 people x 100 baht = 800 baht. That is a fortune in Laos. A family of 6 can live for one month on 800 baht.

I never pay more than 60. Do I get transport to the border ? Yes, always.

But you must have the exact change. They all play the same ancient game of "no change".

• Like 1

cheers

NO, "tuk tuks" are not cheap. They are extremely expensive. They run a scam ripping of visa people.

You must always negotiate a price before you get on the tree-wheels. If the con-man, driving the 3-wheels, says 100 bath - is that per person ? or for everybody ???????????????

8 people x 100 baht = 800 baht. That is a fortune in Laos. A family of 6 can live for one month on 800 baht.

But you must have the exact change. They all play the same ancient game of "no change".

"A family of 6 can live for one month on 800 baht."

What a ridiculous comment!

• Like 2

cheers

800 baht a month is an exaggeration. However, there are plenty of people in Laos living on less than 100 baht a day. The poster's key message that 800 baht for 20 minutes work is out of all proportion to normal economic activity in the country is valid.

• Like 2

cheers

800 baht a month is an exaggeration. However, there are plenty of people in Laos living on less than 100 baht a day. The poster's key message that 800 baht for 20 minutes work is out of all proportion to normal economic activity in the country is valid.

Suggesting that the OP barters over the price is fair enough. Personally I wouldn't be worried about saving 40 baht!

But calling a tuk tuk driver a "con man" for maximising his income and implying he's overpaid because poverty exits is ridiculous. I am sure there are some Laotians existing on less than 5 baht a day but the average person isn't. It's just bigoted opinion without credibility and I am surprised you are defending it!

• Like 1

Suggesting that the OP barters over the price is fair enough. Personally I wouldn't be worried about saving 40 baht!

But calling a tuk tuk driver a "con man" for maximising his income and implying he's overpaid because poverty exits is ridiculous. I am sure there are some Laotians existing on less than 5 baht a day but the average person isn't. It's just bigoted opinion without credibility and I am surprised you are defending it!

In 2012, the last year for which I can find numbers, approximately a quarter of the Lao population was living on $1.25 per day a head or less. In a place like Savannakhet, earnings would be higher, of course.

When there are no fixed prices or meters, taxis in border towns routinely quote foreigners outrageous fares. It is understandable because so many are willing to pay them. However, to charge 100 baht per person (double the 50 baht (including bridge toll) the bus charges for bus station->border->cross bridge->Mukdahan) for a shared songtaew from the consulate to the border is not just adding a bit on. It is about 5 times the correct fare. Do I blame the drivers? No. If people are willing to throw money at them, they would be fools not to take it. It is little different from the people who will give a bellboy a $100 tip. It does distort the population's view of foreigners, though. They are seen as rich and stupid. It also distorts economic activity. You will get many times the number of taxis and songtaews that are really needed because, even working 10% of the time, a Lao man can make more driving a songtaew than in any other line of work. Further, excessive profits encourages mafia involvement.

• Free wifi.

Don't stay in the house (annex) section of Avalon residence, the A/C just isn't up to task in this heat. Nothing around Avalon either, don't bother with the market nearby, only has the Avalon coffee shop as an option (delicious baguettes though).

Next time we will stay down near the night market area. Nicer area in general, cafe's, restaurants , guesthouses and a few hotel options near the river. Its a bit further from Thai consulate but uk tuts are dirt cheap all over town.

I highly recommend Pilgrims inn and restaurant near the night market. Fantastic coffee and food options here, new rooms with great A/C for only 650-800 Baht a night.

Edited by DaamNaam

Yes, I admit, I amused myself by exaggerating.

I think that in both western and south-east-Asian cultures it is considered wrong to take advantage of people's ignorance.

To charge 100 baht per person, if the tuk-tuk has 6-8 passengers, to go from the consulate to the border is wrong - its a scam.

There is a difference between to charge "what the market will bear" and running a con.

• Like 1

Yes, I admit, I amused myself by exaggerating.

I think that in both western and south-east-Asian cultures it is considered wrong to take advantage of people's ignorance.

To charge 100 baht per person, if the tuk-tuk has 6-8 passengers, to go from the consulate to the border is wrong - its a scam.

There is a difference between to charge "what the market will bear" and running a con.

I fail to see the con. The driver asks for 100 baht to take you to the border, you agree to pay that amount, he drives you to the border and charges you the agreed 100 baht. Clearly the market does bear this pricing because foreigners continue to pay the rates.

• 1 year later...
On 25/03/2016 at 6:53 PM, elviajero said:

I fail to see the con. The driver asks for 100 baht to take you to the border, you agree to pay that amount, he drives you to the border and charges you the agreed 100 baht. Clearly the market does bear this pricing because foreigners continue to pay the rates.

We were two... quoted 100thb total for a short trip in the city. As soon as he started moving the price become 100thb each, his English drop to zero and aggressivity by 10x. Funny thing - after we paid, his English become pretty good again, smile on his face and even asked us if we would like him to wait for us.

On 2016-3-23 at 2:03 PM, Deserted said:

Avalon residence is fine, I wouldn't bother with tuk-tuks from the bus station to the embassy, its quite walkable.

Where as my view having stayed there is it not fine. Wifi was crap tv did not work. Front of house staff were just down right lazy and rude. 

Pilgrims kitchen guest house is the best in  my opinion. A short Not Expensive tuk tuk ride from the consulate.

Edited by jeab1980

On 2016-3-24 at 10:27 AM, luke000 said:

Also, if you want to make a telephone call to Thailand on a Thai mobile phone, you can go down to the river and lean over the fence and you can pick up a Thai phone signal

We are on DTac had no problem picking up a Dtac signal anywhere in Savanakhet 

1 hour ago, 11223344 said:

We were two... quoted 100thb total for a short trip in the city. As soon as he started moving the price become 100thb each, his English drop to zero and aggressivity by 10x. Funny thing - after we paid, his English become pretty good again, smile on his face and even asked us if we would like him to wait for us.

We always ask for a price before getting in then once tbe final price has been agreed we pay him as soon as we are sat in his tuk tuk never had a problem 150bht from consulate to pilgrims kitchen guest house is the most weve paid for two last year.

14 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Where as my view having stayed there is it not fine. Wifi was crap tv did not work. Front of house staff were just down right lazy and rude. 

Pilgrims kitchen guest house is the best in  my opinion. A short Not Expensive tuk tuk ride from the consulate.

They ain't rude at Avalon...........:coffee1:

10 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I stayed there for 2 nights last month.

I didn't find them rude either. In fact, I found them quite helpful.

Gave me a map into town etc.

Was perfect for my needs. Walking distance to the Consulate,

a nice coffee shop next door and the internet was good.

Me too, even talked guitar stuff with a member of staff....<removed>

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I stayed there for 2 nights last month.

I didn't find them rude either. In fact, I found them quite helpful.

Gave me a map into town etc.

Was perfect for my needs. Walking distance to the Consulate,

a nice coffee shop next door and the internet was good.

Was there last october just after opening. Wifi didn't work in our room tv didnt work. Went dowm to front staff told them they said the night staff were the best to sort it out. They would send one up in about an hour. 3 hrs later went down again two staff sat eatching TV and playing with there phones explained it all again a couple of grunts followed by can't help dont understand wifi or TV. Maybe they have changed staff now. However first impresdions count for me so wont bevusingbit again

Only went there as our normal place was full

Edited by jeab1980

8 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Was there last october just after opening. Wifi didn't work in our room tv didnt work. Went dowm to front staff told them they said the night staff were the best to sort it out. They would send one up in about an hour. 3 hrs later went down again two staff sat eatching TV and playing with there phones explained it all again a couple of grunts followed by can't help dont understand wifi or TV. Maybe they have changed staff now. However first impresdions count for me so wont bevusingbit again

Only went there as our normal place was full

Would like to know your preferred residence for my gray cells...?

1 minute ago, transam said:

Would like to know your preferred residence for my gray cells...?

If you read the full thread you will see  i have mentioned the place several times.