Ex bar owners...fact or fiction girls have mandatory STD checks?

Kenny202

Last night the topic of HIV and other STIs came up with a girl I've been regularly seeing every visit to Pattaya. I have some information I can share.

Do bars require testing?

Usually, yes. This isn't really the problem. Girls are getting pap smears done something like once a week or every 2. In the case of my regular girl it's after 10 days because her work cycle is 10 days on, 4 days off.

HIV testing is only done every 3 months though. They are using tests which take at least 6 weeks of antibodies building up to detect them. And that's a long time for a girl to collect HIV and pass it around. Worst of all, HIV transmission is most likely when the antibodies are not present. After the body is actively fighting it (when you know you have it) the transmission rates are relatively love for vaginal intercourse.

Some bars require the girls to go to an actual hospital. The bar my girl currently works for requires a hospital visit. She's at beach bar and they also own Happy a Gogo and the other 2 bars (Forget the names) on that same side street. As per her, the hospital costs 50 Baht and they will make the girl take the test. They give that little booklet and put stamps in there when she's found clean. And her bar will not let her work without these stamps.

The bar she used to work at allowed Clinics to perform the testing. They are usually private so the cost for the test is 150 Baht. Why would a girl want to go here when it costs more? Well, maybe if she's infected with something. Some of these clinics are there to make money and are willing to issue the stamps / whatever they give just by receiving the money. This is alarming because of course a girl desperate to work is going to find one of these clinics and pay them off to keep her job.

It might be a good idea for people to ask around and try to figure out which clubs require hospital visits. You can check the girl's healthbooklet to figure out where she's going. And ask whether it's required or she just chooses to go there.

Risky Business

Most girls in the upscale bars on Walking Street seem to be getting their testing done. I haven't felt uncomfortable with girls from most bars as they are insistent on condoms and rarely have any actually agreed to not using one when I am persistent about it / offer more money etc... It's really a good idea to scope out the girl you're going to take back if you plan on going in without protection. And you really shoudn't be an exception for her either otherwise she's probably done it before. So you really should not take the risk. Interesting conundrum huh? haha

I would absolutely avoid girls standing on beach rd by the way. Aside from the fact they're mostly all fat and nasty, these are likely girls who can't pass a test or have no reason to get one. Gonorrhea is curable but it is a great way to ruin your vacation. Sex massages are a bad idea too. These girls are taking in the most guys per day because it's so easy to grab someone off the street and they won't get a test unless they start to feel the burning down there. Guess what? 50% of women don't get symptoms. And they're cheap so for sure these are the girls that HIV positive <deleted> are dumping their virus into. When I get my final sex contact before hitting a midnight flight, I'll go to the massage girls but only allow a hand job. I'm young so they can be persistent about more (for the same price) but I just won't even take the risk with rubber. There's a lot of other shit condoms don't protect you from.

Free-lancers are pretty much the same issue as the above too.

Other Stuff

I've read that there's been some pushes to try and do on-site testing on working girls in clubs. It failed though because it took too long and many girls were unwilling to give information. I hope they keep trying to do things like this though because that'd be the best way to crack-down on the corruption. I wish the gov cared enough to crack down on these damn Clinics too. Send someone undercover to get "tested" but actually ask for just the papers and not test. It's probably not realistic but in theory some girls could infiltrate these places and start spreading the rumors or into the news who is betraying the clubs/farang going to pattaya.

11 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well it was once, but a new strain is antibiotic resistant and is estimated to have affected around 25% of the sex industry workers here in Patong………….so beware.

I had read about a strain which is resistant to most of the typical cures. There was a guy which I believe got it in Thailand and had to go to a special hospital in Australia because nothing would kill it. They did manage to finally cure him. I am not sure how. It's possible they've got an alternative antibiotic which is not available other than when in special care to be sure that it doesn't get misused and cause resistance to it. That was my best assumption on the matter anyway.

Can you quote your information source that 25% of workers are infected with this specific strain in Patong?

I caught a gonorrhea/chlamydia combo in the philippines that was successfully treated with doxycycline very easily. And on another occasion got just Chalmadyia which took about 30 days to become noticeable and azithromycin didn't successfully kill it but doxycycline did when I retreated it 20 days later when I noticed symptoms recurring. There is a big fear in the medical field that Gonorrhea will become incurable at some point due to the slow development of new antibiotics vs mis-use of them but I haven't found much about these antibiotic resistant strains spreading yet.

Last night the topic of HIV and other STIs came up with a girl I've been regularly seeing every visit to Pattaya. I have some information I can share.

Do bars require testing?
Usually, yes. This isn't really the problem. Girls are getting pap smears done something like once a week or every 2. In the case of my regular girl it's after 10 days because her work cycle is 10 days on, 4 days off.

HIV testing is only done every 3 months though. They are using tests which take at least 6 weeks of antibodies building up to detect them. And that's a long time for a girl to collect HIV and pass it around. Worst of all, HIV transmission is most likely when the antibodies are not present. After the body is actively fighting it (when you know you have it) the transmission rates are relatively love for vaginal intercourse.

Some bars require the girls to go to an actual hospital. The bar my girl currently works for requires a hospital visit. She's at beach bar and they also own Happy a Gogo and the other 2 bars (Forget the names) on that same side street. As per her, the hospital costs 50 Baht and they will make the girl take the test. They give that little booklet and put stamps in there when she's found clean. And her bar will not let her work without these stamps.

The bar she used to work at allowed Clinics to perform the testing. They are usually private so the cost for the test is 150 Baht. Why would a girl want to go here when it costs more? Well, maybe if she's infected with something. Some of these clinics are there to make money and are willing to issue the stamps / whatever they give just by receiving the money. This is alarming because of course a girl desperate to work is going to find one of these clinics and pay them off to keep her job.

It might be a good idea for people to ask around and try to figure out which clubs require hospital visits. You can check the girl's healthbooklet to figure out where she's going. And ask whether it's required or she just chooses to go there.

Risky Business
Most girls in the upscale bars on Walking Street seem to be getting their testing done. I haven't felt uncomfortable with girls from most bars as they are insistent on condoms and rarely have any actually agreed to not using one when I am persistent about it / offer more money etc... It's really a good idea to scope out the girl you're going to take back if you plan on going in without protection. And you really shoudn't be an exception for her either otherwise she's probably done it before. So you really should not take the risk. Interesting conundrum huh? haha

I would absolutely avoid girls standing on beach rd by the way. Aside from the fact they're mostly all fat and nasty, these are likely girls who can't pass a test or have no reason to get one. Gonorrhea is curable but it is a great way to ruin your vacation. Sex massages are a bad idea too. These girls are taking in the most guys per day because it's so easy to grab someone off the street and they won't get a test unless they start to feel the burning down there. Guess what? 50% of women don't get symptoms. And they're cheap so for sure these are the girls that HIV positive are dumping their virus into. When I get my final sex contact before hitting a midnight flight, I'll go to the massage girls but only allow a hand job. I'm young so they can be persistent about more (for the same price) but I just won't even take the risk with rubber. There's a lot of other shit condoms don't protect you from.

Free-lancers are pretty much the same issue as the above too.

Other Stuff
I've read that there's been some pushes to try and do on-site testing on working girls in clubs. It failed though because it took too long and many girls were unwilling to give information. I hope they keep trying to do things like this though because that'd be the best way to crack-down on the corruption. I wish the gov cared enough to crack down on these damn Clinics too. Send someone undercover to get "tested" but actually ask for just the papers and not test. It's probably not realistic but in theory some girls could infiltrate these places and start spreading the rumors or into the news who is betraying the clubs/farang going to pattaya.
Would be interesting to hear@Cerberus take on this, how plausible it is and if so how widespread

18 hours ago, BrianStar said:

Can you quote your information source that 25% of workers are infected with this specific strain in Patong?

18 hours ago, BrianStar said:

There is a big fear in the medical field that Gonorrhea will become incurable at some point due to the slow development of new antibiotics vs mis-use of them but I haven't found much about these antibiotic resistant strains spreading yet.

Sorry I can recall the specific source of the info, but I am sure it was mentioned in an article re STDs in the sex industry here in Thailand...…….and it was an antibiotic resistant strain, however IIR it did state that this was most prevalent amongst the gay community.

Regarding antibiotic resistant infections, I acquired one through a procedure at a hospital here and it was e-coli ESBL and none of the usual antibiotics would touch it, so one of the rare ones was administered intravenously for 14 days and this did work, but was expensive and time consuming, not to mention worrying.

This is the result of overuse and misuse of antibiotics coming back to bite us.

Be careful out there.

Edited by xylophone

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Sorry I can recall the specific source of the info,

Regarding antibiotic resistant infections, I acquired one through a procedure at a hospital

It was a story in a UK tabloid newspaper.

Unlikely to be true, like all the SARs, Mad Cow, Avian Flu scare stories.

1 person catches a novel disease and we're all doomed!

As for the antibiotic-resistant infections, these always seem to happen in hospitals.

The rest of the world doesn't get them, which I take to mean, avoid hospitals at all costs, nasty dirty places.

And another thing, why are antibiotic-resistant infections at hospitals caused by people misusing antibiotics at home? Seems to me dirty hospitals are the problem, not what we do at home.

Edited by BritManToo

On 3/23/2016 at 3:31 AM, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I had a bar in Patts for a few years,and our girls used to have to have a check up every 3 months.It was our rule.They went to a local doctor,who we knew and all had cards that had to be signed and stamped by the doctor involved.They were tested for HIV,Syph and Gonn.The cards were kept in our safe.When a new girl started,we got here tested straight away.later we got them also for chly.It was a case of 'no stamped card,no work 'Of course this isn't a 100% foolproof,but it made us feel a little safer.

Looks more like you had a brothel.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It was a story in a UK tabloid newspaper.

There was such a story in a UK newspaper, but that is not the one I was referring to.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As for the antibiotic-resistant infections, these always seem to happen in hospitals.

True they do happen in hospitals but can also be "community acquired".

On 3/22/2016 at 8:40 PM, chiang mai said:

Some bars require it, some girls get checked, the extent of the tests is variable based on the clinic, some test results are paid for without testing, very few I would guess have any form of reliable testing done for most STD's, very few have the full blown AIDS test done because of cost.

Very easy to provide reliable testing for most STD's, its just a simple urine blood cell count which doesn't give any specifics, just infection or not.

As for HIV testing, anyone registered with a public hospital can have two free HIV tests per year.n 

19 hours ago, BrianStar said:

Having had a number of girls tested, and myself, I can assure you that your girl is misleading you.

Cost for tests at a clinic is 750-800 baht, not including HIV. Antibody HIV test is 1000 baht. Antigen HIV test is 2000 baht. Couldn't find anywhere that does the combined test which is the norm in the West.

I had to have a medical certificate to obtain a driving licence here. Walked into a clinic, explained what I needed and the receptionist gave me the certificate for 100 baht. No doctor, no tests, just 100 baht. This is probably how your girl is obtaining her stamps.

The majority of bars don't require their girls to be tested and if they do, they just pay lip service to it. Not bothered how the girl obtains her stamp.

Only way to be safe is wear a condom. Personally, I don't bother as they're too small for me and usually break. Anyway, I like playing Russian Roulette!

40 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Sorry I can recall the specific source of the info, but I am sure it was mentioned in an article re STDs in the sex industry here in Thailand...…….and it was an antibiotic resistant strain, however IIR it did state that this was most prevalent amongst the gay community.

Regarding antibiotic resistant infections, I acquired one through a procedure at a hospital here and it was e-coli ESBL and none of the usual antibiotics would touch it, so one of the rare ones was administered intravenously for 14 days and this did work, but was expensive and time consuming, not to mention worrying.

This is the result of overuse and misuse of antibiotics coming back to bite us.

Be careful out there.

I researched a bit last night. It seems to me that some people are getting hit with antibiotic resistant strains where they need to administer a non-common antibiotic to kill it. There doesn't seem to be cases of "incurable" but the fear is that we will get to that point if people keep being careless especially when taking their treatments. So I think there's a lot of fear mongering on the internet but it isn't untrue that it is slowly happening. And of course even though it is curable, you don't want to be acquiring that nasty shit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Having had a number of girls tested, and myself, I can assure you that your girl is misleading you.

Cost for tests at a clinic is 750-800 baht, not including HIV. Antibody HIV test is 1000 baht. Antigen HIV test is 2000 baht. Couldn't find anywhere that does the combined test which is the norm in the West.

I had to have a medical certificate to obtain a driving licence here. Walked into a clinic, explained what I needed and the receptionist gave me the certificate for 100 baht. No doctor, no tests, just 100 baht. This is probably how your girl is obtaining her stamps.

The majority of bars don't require their girls to be tested and if they do, they just pay lip service to it. Not bothered how the girl obtains her stamp.

Only way to be safe is wear a condom. Personally, I don't bother as they're too small for me and usually break. Anyway, I like playing Russian Roulette!

I'll probably get myself a test before I head back to the states to test that theory out. What was the name of the clinic you went to when they just issued the paper? I find obtaining a medical certificate for a driving license to be a bit different than testing for things you're likely to have. If you looked in good shape they were probably just saving you the burden.

That being said, there's certainly some girls getting fake stamps and certs. They are likely the ones who already have stuff. I'd think most girls are getting tested since they legit want to know if they catch something. And of course some very naive girls who just want to pay the smallest amount of money. It would be fun to test this theory out with a little reverse psychology. In the bar ask if you need a condom or not. Then tell her you have HIV and see how she reacts. If she knows she has it, she's possibly going to be ok with it lol. Don't plan on taking her out though. If she agrees you DON'T WANT TO and if she doesn't have HIV she's gonna run and tell everyone in the bar haha.

Anyway, I take your final comments as more likely satire. Perhaps my dodging of HIV has been because I'm too small and don't make these girls bleed haha. But honestly I think whether the testing is required or not the majority of girls are pretty aware of the dangers of HIV and are watching out for themselves. There are certainly some HIV positive in the clubs and it is certainly a risk of a single digit percent that you'll pick one who has it and then a decimal of a percent of you contracting it if you sleep with her that one time. Everyone is right that you should be safe especially because if everyone is safe, these girls aren't likely to get infected and certainly won't be infecting you.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:19 AM, BrianStar said:

TMI (Too Much Information)

It sure is nice to be past that horny stage of wanting to make it with everything on 2 legs. And so satisfying to be in a monogamous relationship with a morally upstanding Thai partner, neither one of us ever having had "anything".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...