UK Pound Dipping.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Baht to the pound follows the pound to the dollar. As the leave campaign has gained momentum the pound has dropped steadily against the dollar and the euro has gained.

All we can hope for is something knocks the dollar down as one thing is for sure the pound is not going to recover in the short term. Uncertainty is like high blood pressure, the silent killer.

Expect many scare stories to appear over the next couple of months. This week it's been about how the UK security will be at risk, so say the government stooges, yet the people in the know say the EU is irrelevant, in fact some experts who are not in the governments pay,are stating that the UK will in fact be more secure on exit. The same scare stories will continue to be banded about regarding the pound and the economy. Just check out the facts, don't listen to the proper gander. Remember when all those doom and gloom merchants were predicting the pound would collapse if we din't adopt the Euro.

That was then and this is now. There is no prediction involved, the pound has already collapsed.

Beginning of June 2015 the GBP/USD was at 1.59 and the dollar index at 96.5, today the GBP/USD stands at 1.41 and the dollar index at 96.2.

It is not a question of collapse, just how far.

Strange that. I don't recall it at 1.59 last year, but I do know I did an exchange at 1.49 yesterday.

As I've already posted,the £ May go lower in the run up to the referendum,that we don't know yet.Although I admit it's a possibility due to the central banks and the big international corporations wanting to put pressure on

those electorates who do not realise how they are being manipulated.

Interestingly 250 of the top business bosses ( not international corporations ) have today come out declaring their support for a Britexit.

Personally It just baffles me how any Brit could possibly contemplate voting to remain in this corrupt Union,given all the fact that are now appearing.

This is off course in addition to national security, based around boarder controls.

Strange that. I don't recall it at 1.59 last year, but I do know I did an exchange at 1.49 yesterday.

Good on you, b ut depending which direction the exchange was, the trader may have lost some money because the rate yesterday was 1.413 and it hasn't been 1.49 in at least 6 months.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=USD&view=1D

At this point in time many core manufacturing sectors must mark their products in accordance with EU legislation. Take away the legislation and you take away the mark, google 'CE' marking.

Does England still manufacture anything?

For export?

Good point

Off the top of my head Briton exports Oil and Steel and drunk holidaymakers to Spain ;/)

I'd also like to know what we do export though if anyone knows

Expect many scare stories to appear over the next couple of months. This week it's been about how the UK security will be at risk, so say the government stooges, yet the people in the know say the EU is irrelevant, in fact some experts who are not in the governments pay,are stating that the UK will in fact be more secure on exit. The same scare stories will continue to be banded about regarding the pound and the economy. Just check out the facts, don't listen to the proper gander. Remember when all those doom and gloom merchants were predicting the pound would collapse if we din't adopt the Euro.

That was then and this is now. There is no prediction involved, the pound has already collapsed.

Beginning of June 2015 the GBP/USD was at 1.59 and the dollar index at 96.5, today the GBP/USD stands at 1.41 and the dollar index at 96.2.

As I've already posted,the £ May go lower in the run up to the referendum,that we don't know yet.Although I admit it's a possibility due to the central banks and the big international corporations wanting to put pressure on

Interestingly 250 of the top business bosses ( not international corporations ) have today come out declaring their support for a Britexit.

Personally It just baffles me how any Brit could possibly contemplate voting to remain in this corrupt Union,given all the fact that are now appearing.

This is off course in addition to national security, based around boarder controls.

These are personal views, they cannot talk for the company as the workforce are generally in favour of staying in. The leave campaign will respond to that viewpoint in BBC news tonight.

Jobs is a real issue here and the Brexit side have admitted it could be collateral damage.

The EU is by no means perfect but the lesser of two evils. In the event of an exit, where will it all end.

Scotland becomes independent and joins the EU?

The reunification of Ireland?

Does the leave brigade really think they could survive multiple amputations?

Baht to the pound follows the pound to the dollar. As the leave campaign has gained momentum the pound has dropped steadily against the dollar and the euro has gained.

All we can hope for is something knocks the dollar down as one thing is for sure the pound is not going to recover in the short term. Uncertainty is like high blood pressure, the silent killer.

Good on you, b ut depending which direction the exchange was, the trader may have lost some money because the rate yesterday was 1.413 and it hasn't been 1.49 in at least 6 months.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=USD&view=1D

My apologies. I was quoting £ to Bht.

These are personal views, they cannot talk for the company as the workforce are generally in favour of staying in. The leave campaign will respond to that viewpoint in BBC news tonight.

Jobs is a real issue here and the Brexit side have admitted it could be collateral damage.

The EU is by no means perfect but the lesser of two evils. In the event of an exit, where will it all end.

I don't know why you should think the workforce are in favour of remaining in. I think you will find it's the opposite. Especially those on lower wages,as they know that mass immigration is keeping down their wages and in many instances leading them to loose their jobs. The Britexit side are in fact plugging the prospect of creating more job opportunities, when the UK can make it's own trade deals with the whole world,in addition to the EU.

The remaining EU will of course be only too happy to continue to trade with the U.K., as at the moment they have to their advantage a fantastic trade balance.

At this point in time many core manufacturing sectors must mark their products in accordance with EU legislation. Take away the legislation and you take away the mark, google 'CE' marking.

For export?

Good point

Off the top of my head Briton exports Oil and Steel and drunk holidaymakers to Spain ;/)

How hard can it be to Google an answer:

b893a744ad4349e59c33bb178a70a715.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/feb/24/uk-trade-exports-imports

Edited by chiang mai

As an FX trader its a great time to trade, the pound bounced up against the dollar couple of weeks ago, one of the biggest jumps in a day for a long time. volatility rules! think the floor was reached for now, but great times ahead up or down.

That's spoken like a real fx trader.

I think it will go up or down laugh.png

A revolutionary new idea that is about 120 Years old.smile.png

Cheers.

For export?

Good point

Thanks for the info but

I'd rather have a conversation with opinions and other input rather than just use Google; is that not the point of a forum..? In addition yr reliance on Google is a 5 year old link which is slightly related but doesn't really answer the question you are trying to.

I'm sorry but yr smart comment is so pointless and adds unneeded negativity to quite a positive thread so far. If yr simply going to search Google and share what seems relevant then (as yr share clearly shows) read the question first and check what you share properly.

Edited by james24

I don't know why you should think the workforce are in favour of remaining in. I think you will find it's the opposite. Especially those on lower wages,as they know that mass immigration is keeping down their wages and in many instances leading them to loose their jobs. The Britexit side are in fact plugging the prospect of creating more job opportunities, when the UK can make it's own trade deals with the whole world,in addition to the EU.

The remaining EU will of course be only too happy to continue to trade with the U.K., as at the moment they have to their advantage a fantastic trade balance.

You obviously did not comprehend my opening statement.

"These are personal views, they cannot talk for the company as the workforce are generally in favour of staying in. The leave campaign will respond to that viewpoint in BBC news tonight."

The viewpoint was put forward by experts on a BBC news debate, a response was to be aired last night but I was otherwise engaged and didn't get the chance to see it.

Everyone talks about trade deals but what I fail to understand is how can you negotiate a trade deal with product that is not allowed to trade. A large chunk of the trade at the moment is carried out under certification that has been obtained under EU legislation. If the legislation is removed the certification will no longer exist so the product cannot be sold outside the UK. The UK would be forced into replacing all the EU regulations with similar UK regulations, if the regulations are not the same they will not get reciprocal agreements. This new legislation is not going to happen overnight and it certainly will not come cheap, watch out for tax rises. It is not just trade with the EU that would be affected, the UK trades with the US and many other countries on the back of EU legislation. It is the CE mark that has reciprocal recognition, nothing that the UK has put in place.

I do not dispute that the EU is far from ideal but I do not believe that all the technical implications have come to the surface yet. I also find it hard to believe that people think that they can stick their fingers up to 27 other states and not expect repercussions.

TBH I really don't think anybody has any real ideas.

Each side of the Brexit is pushing their own views and pumping out scare stories against the other side.

It is a bit like going to a pantomime and shouting out, "Oh yes it is, Oh no it isn't"

Scotland is a bit different as they want to stay in the EU and leave the UK. A large chunk of the funding that Scotland gets from the EU is actually part of the rebate that Margaret Thatcher got from the EU back in the late 1970s.

Scotland is claiming that all the oil revenue from the North Sea belongs to them but in reality it doesn't as the UK as a whole paid for it.

If Scotland leave the UK where will it get its funding from as far more money flows north over the border than flows south?

"Scotland is claiming that all the oil revenue from the North Sea belongs to them but in reality it doesn't as the UK as a whole paid for it."

Surely it was the oil-companies, who paid vast sums to find and develop North Sea Oil, the national-government merely charges royalties & taxes on their hard-won profits ? wink.png

Oh, and we still export aircraft-wings, to Airbus. Also all sorts of luxury-goods like whisky & gin, which should properly be kept back, to drown our sorrows in ! rolleyes.gif

You obviously did not comprehend my opening statement.

"These are personal views, they cannot talk for the company as the workforce are generally in favour of staying in. The leave campaign will respond to that viewpoint in BBC news tonight."

The viewpoint was put forward by experts on a BBC news debate, a response was to be aired last night but I was otherwise engaged and didn't get the chance to see it.

Everyone talks about trade deals but what I fail to understand is how can you negotiate a trade deal with product that is not allowed to trade. A large chunk of the trade at the moment is carried out under certification that has been obtained under EU legislation. If the legislation is removed the certification will no longer exist so the product cannot be sold outside the UK. The UK would be forced into replacing all the EU regulations with similar UK regulations, if the regulations are not the same they will not get reciprocal agreements. This new legislation is not going to happen overnight and it certainly will not come cheap, watch out for tax rises. It is not just trade with the EU that would be affected, the UK trades with the US and many other countries on the back of EU legislation. It is the CE mark that has reciprocal recognition, nothing that the UK has put in place.

I do not dispute that the EU is far from ideal but I do not believe that all the technical implications have come to the surface yet. I also find it hard to believe that people think that they can stick their fingers up to 27 other states and not expect repercussions.

"Sandy" I just cannot understand why you are so terrified by a Britexit. The U.K. Would not be sticking their fingers up at the EU.

Two points,we will still be European and will continue to trade with the EU countries,all this about certification is hogwash.The UK will abide with the EU certifications,the same as the EU will abide by the UK certifications, for the simple reason that they would not want to jeopardize a very lucrative market for their products. Unless of course you consider the UK to be 3rd world country be assured that any problems will be ironed out within two yrs of the Britexit.

My 2nd point would be,are you 100% sure there will be an EU in a couple of years time,there is a growing movement within the north east countries for their people to be also given the right to hold a referendum. This will surely grow when they will no longer be receiving £55,000,000 gross each day from the UK taxpayers. Are those citizens prepared to make up this shortfall? This problem will increase dramatically when Turkey and a few other poor countries join.

"Sandy" I just cannot understand why you are so terrified by a Britexit. The U.K. Would not be sticking their fingers up at the EU.

Two points,we will still be European and will continue to trade with the EU countries,all this about certification is hogwash.The UK will abide with the EU certifications,the same as the EU will abide by the UK certifications, for the simple reason that they would not want to jeopardize a very lucrative market for their products. Unless of course you consider the UK to be 3rd world country be assured that any problems will be ironed out within two yrs of the Britexit.

My 2nd point would be,are you 100% sure there will be an EU in a couple of years time,there is a growing movement within the north east countries for their people to be also given the right to hold a referendum. This will surely grow when they will no longer be receiving £55,000,000 gross each day from the UK taxpayers. Are those citizens prepared to make up this shortfall? This problem will increase dramatically when Turkey and a few other poor countries join.

Firstly, I am too old to be terrified of anything, alzheimers maybe, by the time the dust settles on this I will be pushing up daisies.

It is fairly obvious that you do not understand the certification process. I was involved in the manufacture of LPG appliances when the when the EU directive on that product came into force in 1990. Everyone complained like hell about having to do things in a certain manner and follow procedures.

The company I worked for were quite prepared to change components without retesting and not knowing if they were putting peoples lives at risk or not and I know for a fact they weren't the only one. EU legislation put a stop to all that and the UK has no equivalent.

Do you really want to leave manufacturers to their own devices and hope for the best.

The real problem here is that people are going to take the vote on emotion without being fully aware of the implications.

Firstly, I am too old to be terrified of anything, alzheimers maybe, by the time the dust settles on this I will be pushing up daisies.

It is fairly obvious that you do not understand the certification process. I was involved in the manufacture of LPG appliances when the when the EU directive on that product came into force in 1990. Everyone complained like hell about having to do things in a certain manner and follow procedures.

The company I worked for were quite prepared to change components without retesting and not knowing if they were putting peoples lives at risk or not and I know for a fact they weren't the only one. EU legislation put a stop to all that and the UK has no equivalent.

Do you really want to leave manufacturers to their own devices and hope for the best.

The real problem here is that people are going to take the vote on emotion without being fully aware of the implications.

Again the UK is not a 3rd world country,it can have it's own regulations,as it did before. Do you think that the USA, Australia, and NZ have to adopt the EU tag in order to trade with the EU,of course not,their products are also of the highest order,which is more than can be said for many products being imported from China.

Is it emotion to not want to see your country go further down the dump with continued membership of this corrupt organisation. Which will only get worse with its future enlargement coupled with the further expansion and run away bureaucracy.post-78707-14592144491531_thumb.jpg

Edited by nontabury

We asked 'WHAT' and you answered 'WHERE', two different questions, then if we follow your link it reveals a story from 2011, but this year is 2016. Is a report from 5 years ago valid today? I think not.

If we assume the data is still valid, it suggests the biggest export is cars, but these aren't actually made in Britain, but assembled in Britain from foreign sourced parts. Some may think this a cynical exercise to avoid import duty.

Leaving the second major export oil products, but again this report was from 2011, and the price of oil worldwide is very different today. The Middle East aren't in the EU but they still manage to sell oil there.

Bringing me back to my original question, what does Britain actually export today?

And will being in the EU actually affect any of those exports?

UK pound is over 50 again today.

Up and down it goes.

Edited by BritManToo

We asked 'WHAT' and you answered 'WHERE', two different questions, then if we follow your link it reveals a story from 2011, but this year is 2016. Is a report from 5 years ago valid today? I think not.

If we assume the data is still valid, it suggests the biggest export is cars, but these aren't actually made in Britain, but assembled in Britain from foreign sourced parts. Some may think this a cynical exercise to avoid import duty.

Leaving the second major export oil products, but again this report was from 2011, and the price of oil worldwide is very different today. The Middle East aren't in the EU but they still manage to sell oil there.

Bringing me back to my original question, what does Britain actually export today?

And will being in the EU actually affect any of those exports?

UK pound is over 50 again today.

Up and down it goes.

Open the link rather than just looking at the pictures and behold, magically, the "what" appears!

And yes, it's 2011 data but it's a starting point for those able to actually use Google - for those who are google or keyboard challenged, here:

http://www.worldstopexports.com/united-kingdoms-top-exports/

Edited by chiang mai

* Bank of England FPC - UK financial stability outlook has worsened since November 2015

Source: FXWire CentralBank

29. March 2016 17:04:44

* BOE - EU referendum is most significant near-term domestic risk to financial stability

29. March 2016 17:05:03

* BOE - heightened and prolonged brexit uncertainty could further weaken Sterling, affect many UK borrowers

29. March 2016 17:05:14

Again the UK is not a 3rd world country,it can have it's own regulations,as it did before. Do you think that the USA, Australia, and NZ have to adopt the EU tag in order to trade with the EU,of course not,their products are also of the highest order,which is more than can be said for many products being imported from China.

Is it emotion to not want to see your country go further down the dump with continued membership of this corrupt organisation. Which will only get worse with its future enlargement coupled with the further expansion and run away bureaucracy.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1459214446.919638.jpg

Agree to disagree

* Bank of England FPC - UK financial stability outlook has worsened since November 2015

29. March 2016 17:04:44

* BOE - EU referendum is most significant near-term domestic risk to financial stability

29. March 2016 17:05:03

* BOE - heightened and prolonged brexit uncertainty could further weaken Sterling, affect many UK borrowers

29. March 2016 17:05:14

And who are you quoting? None other than the governments and big international concerns,who we all know intend to,and will try to intimidate the electorate as they did in 1975, thankfully they failed in the 90's when again they talked of economic ruin,if we did not join the Euro.

Sorry! But again I repeat, try and look how the EU intends to proceed in the coming years,if that does't worry you, then by all means vote to remain in. However if you do and you are on the winning side,do not complain when the chickens come home to roost. As then the value of the £ will be the least of your worries if you are in the UK.

Edited by nontabury

thankfully they failed in the 90's when again they talked of economic ruin,if we did not join the Euro.

It cost us in the region of 20% of our money when Britain failed to join the Euro.

Not sure if that's counted as economic ruin, but it's certainly moving in that direction.

GBP = 1.56E when Euro first created, GBP = 1.28E today, a 22% loss for British people.

I'd rather Brussels was in control of the UK than the current government.

At least Brussels isn't trying to sell off everything to the private sector.

NHS, school land, Land Registry, all public land, public roads, all up for grabs now.

I don't care all that much about Muslims et al moving to the UK, but I do care about losing my money.

Edited by BritManToo

thankfully they failed in the 90's when again they talked of economic ruin,if we did not join the Euro.

It cost us in the region of 20% of our money when Britain failed to join the Euro.

Not sure if that's counted as economic ruin, but it's certainly moving in that direction.

GBP = 1.56E when Euro first created, GBP = 1.28E today, a 22% loss for British people.

I'd rather Brussels was in control of the UK than the current government.

At least Brussels isn't trying to sell off everything to the private sector.

NHS, school land, Land Registry, all public land, public roads, all up for grabs now.

I don't care all that much about Muslims et al moving to the UK, but I do care about losing my money.

During the last 10 yrs the exchange rate has fluctuated between 1.02 and 1.52. I do know that during this period of time many of my German friends here in Thailand, have said they wished their country was still using the DM.

If you think the NHS will be safe with the EU, Check out the TTIP agreement.

As for your comment that you are not bothered that your country may have further serious problems from uncontrolled immigration, check out my post 46. As I think you are off completely different stock than me.

For export?

Good point

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-18339917

Four-cylinder petrol engines have been built at Plant Hams Hall near Birmingham for BMW vehicles for more than a decade.

The UK-built engines are supplied to production plants in Germany and Austria as well as Oxford.

They power the BMW X1, BMW 1 Series and the recently-launched new BMW 3 Series, as well as all Mini petrol models.

Hams Hall director Nick Spencer said it was a "fantastic milestone" for the site.

Wings for the Airbus are produced in the UK.

A lot of the parts for the Eurofighter are built in the UK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurofighter_Typhoon

The Eurofighter Typhoon is a twin-engine, canard-delta wing, multirole fighter.[7][8] The Typhoon was designed and is manufactured by a consortium of three companies, Alenia Aermacchi, Airbus Group and BAE Systems, which conduct the majority of affairs dealing with the project through a joint holding company, Eurofighter Jagdflugzeug GmbH, which was formed in 1986. The project is managed by the NATO Eurofighter and Tornado Management Agency, which also acts as the prime customer.[9]

Rolls Royce, Bentley, Land Rover and many other cars in the UK are built for export.

I found that on a simple 2 minute Google search.

I am sure that you could find more if you looked yourself.

Good point

Thanks for the info but

I'd rather have a conversation with opinions and other input rather than just use Google; is that not the point of a forum..? In addition yr reliance on Google is a 5 year old link which is slightly related but doesn't really answer the question you are trying to.

I'm sorry but yr smart comment is so pointless and adds unneeded negativity to quite a positive thread so far. If yr simply going to search Google and share what seems relevant then (as yr share clearly shows) read the question first and check what you share properly.

Then why don't YOU do some research yourself and find the good bits, or would that not suit your agenda?

Edited by billd766

Maybe if the UK was free from the bureaucratic restraints of the EU, then just maybe it could have save the jobs of all those steelworkers,in addition to those in Redcar and Scunthorpe. Edited by nontabury

Maybe if the UK was free from the bureaucratic restraints of the EU, then just maybe it could have saved the jobs of all those steelworkers in addition to those in Redcar.

I kinda doubt it, the steel story is a China story and it's not just Tata or just the UK - your point taken however regarding freedom from regulations et al.

As for your comment that you are not bothered that your country may have further serious problems from uncontrolled immigration, check out my post 46. As I think you are off completely different stock than me.

I don't live in England much any more, I'm more concerned about France, Spain and Thailand.

But my money is sourced in GBP, which does concern me.

Happy to have Muslims running the UK, they can't do any worse than the current crop of entitled Public schoolboys.

I don't live in England much any more, I'm more concerned about France, Spain and Thailand.

But my money is sourced in GBP, which does concern me.

Happy to have Muslims running the UK, they can't do any worse than the current crop of entitled Public schoolboys.

It's not a matter of Muslims, more to do with the government and international companies desire to import cheap labour. Of course if you are an ex-teacher who is living on restricted income here in ThailandI you could be selfish and take the I'm alright approach,same as if you were still working in the UK, but what about those in occupations in the UK,who are seeing their wages eroded and whose employment is being replaced by these cheaper immigrants.

P.c My money is also sourced in the UK,(apart from investments here in Thailand and off shore) where I still have family,for whom I can only see ever increasing problems while the UK is part of this corrupt and undemocratic so called Union.

Edited by nontabury