Visa on Arrival

As to facilitate to apply visa on arrival online application is introduced. I'm working and living in Qatar and plan to visit Thailand by visa on arrival to stay for 15 day. but when i tried to apply online it is giving error and not proceeding further.

here is link

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/voaonline

is there any alternative link to facilitate?

I'm India national and plan my travel from Doha to Moscow, Moscow to Bangkok and Bangkok to Doha

post-203803-0-95960100-1458757259_thumb.

Click on "Avanced" and then on the "Proceed to..." link.

The Thai Government is so cheap (or negligent) that these people don't even care about using real, paid for certificates for their web sites. They use certificates obtained from some in-house authority, not recognized by browsers. Hence the alert from Chrome.

This kind of things happen a lot of amateur, home-made web sites using encryption because real certificates are a bit of a hassle to get and cost (some) money.

From a government web site, it's just ridiculous.

This is Thailand.

Edited by Lannig

You can safely continue to the website by clicking "advanced" or continue to site" .

I just tried and the site opens.

That error page appears because the Thais signed their own security certificate

Just what I wrote above whistling.gif

You can safely continue to the website by clicking "advanced" or continue to site" .

I just tried and the site opens.

That error page appears because the Thais signed their own security certificate

Just what I wrote above whistling.gif

My post does not contain unnecessary (and distracting) Thai bashing verbiagesmile.png

Worked in Chrome for me.

What happens after you click on the "Proceed to ..." link?

@sunnyjim5: not Thai-bashing. People-who-are-irresponsible-enough-to-bring-up-a-governement-web-site-without-proper-certificates bashing.

And the name you gave for the link to be clicked was incorrect too. It's "Proceed to <name of the web site> (unsafe)"

Edited by Lannig

Oh well... maybe it's just broken (I'd say that wouldn't surprise me, but that would be construed as Thai-bashing so I won't wink.png ), maybe you could try with IE indeed. Can't try it because I'm not willing to input my real data in there.

As sunnyjim5 wrote, VOA can be obtained at the airport, I'm not quite sure what this online registration brings you and whether it's worth the efforts.

No other ideas, sorry.

What is the exact security risk of people inputing data on these Thai unsecured websites?

Theft. But I don't know exactly what you have to fill in, since I've never used that service. If it is sensitive information then don't use it. This is a government website meaning it's more likely to be targeted by someone with ill intentions than most other websites. It's pretty clear they don't take internet security seriously (They're Thai, they know better than everyone else), since they've done nothing about it since the release of the website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say very minimum risk. Encryption is not any weaker than with a site using a real certificate. The only thing is that you can't be sure that you are connected to an actual immigration.go.th web site because the domain name present in the encryption certificate sent by the site has not been authenticated by an authority that your browser trusts.

So in theory yes, it could be a web site posing for extranet.immigration.go.th at the other end, not the actual one.

Now considering that the most sensitive information you send is your passport number, I wouldn't consider this more risky than writing it on an arrival card anyone could take a glance at.

Summary: in my humble opinion, no risk but this looks terribly unprofessional.

Yea, I'm thinking that once your data enters a Thai computer ( applies for everyone that ever travelled to Thailand), your information is compromised anyway.

If anybody would want to steal your info, they would not have to bother intercepting the communication, they'd hack directly into the servers. I don't think you've got to be called Anonymous to do that,my feel is it's pretty low security, so yeah...

Y E S, after 18 long posts made by people that do NOT know,,, you got it right Luke,, VOA will be given to you (OP) upon arrivel to Thailland, if you are entitled to it of course....

The link that you guys mentioned and spread around is a 90 day report link.

Again, if you do NOT know, plse refrain from answering just settle with reading the thread, best for us all..

Glegolo

+++++

Y E S, after 18 long posts made by people that do NOT know,,, you got it right Luke,, VOA will be given to you (OP) upon arrivel to Thailland, if you are entitled to it of course....

The link that you guys mentioned and spread around is a 90 day report link.

Again, if you do NOT know, plse refrain from answering just settle with reading the thread, best for us all..

Glegolo

+++++

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/voaonline is not for 90 day address reporting. As explained by the OP, it is intended to expedite entry through Suwanabhumi airport for those needing VOA. One of the reports about its introduction last year is http://www.thaiembassy.org/doha/en/news/3422/61326-Thailand-launched-the-%22Online-Application-for.html.The waits otherwise can sometimes be horrendous. If the OP cannot get the system to work, the option of applying on entry at the airport does, of course, still exist.

Your advice to be careful about providing misleading information is, of course, well considered.

I'm waiting after filling out details. Still blank screen for 15 minutes. Not proceeding

If using Chrome you will need to install an extension for IE. I suggest using IE Tab. Go to http://www.ietab.net/ to get it.

The blank page could be because you have a pop blocker that is preventing you from seeing an error message.

If you cannot get the site to work you you can download the application form to save a little time on arrival. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/form_voa.pdf