Tourist visa address reporting

hi list,

I am going to Thailand from Australia on a 30 day tourist visa

does anyone know if my wife has to register me at the local office as living at her house within 24 hours of arrival as per section 38 below? Or is this only for longer or different type visas?

thanks

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.In case the house , dwelling place , or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of Para.1 is located within the Bangkok area , such notification must be reported to the competent official at the Immigration Division.Making notification , in reference to the Para 1 and 2 of this Section , must comply with regulations prescribed by the Director General.

You will be getting a 30 day visa exempt entry not a tourist visa when you arrive.

In reality unless you plan on getting an extension at immigration there probably will be no need for her to do the report.

If your wife is Thai and you plan on staying longer than 30 days you might want to consider getting a single entry non-o visa before you make your trip that would allow a 90 day entry.

• Yes your wife should report you. It can be done by post.
  • If she doesn't, and you have contact with immigration in the future, she may be fined. The fine is a maximum of 2,000 baht. Typically immigration charge 800 baht. There are no consequences. to either of you, beyond the fine.
Section 77 : Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 2,000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2,000 Baht to 10,000 Baht.

Immigration Act.

• If she doesn't, and you have contact with immigration in the future, she may be fined. The fine is a maximum of 2,000 baht. Typically immigration charge 800 baht. There are no consequences. to either of you, beyond the fine.
Section 77 : Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 2,000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2,000 Baht to 10,000 Baht.

Immigration Act.

Not all immigration offices will accept a TM30 report by mail. It is not mentioned as an option in the immigration act which means they do not have to accept them by mail.

I wonder if there might be a crackdown on the "criminals" failing to file TM30 reports in the future. These reports can just as validly be linked to preventing serious criminal activity as can blacklisting people for overstay. Any real effect is unnecessary as long as it can be presented as getting tough on crime.

I wonder if there might be a crackdown on the "criminals" failing to file TM30 reports in the future. These reports can just as validly be linked to preventing serious criminal activity as can blacklisting people for overstay. Any real effect is unnecessary as long as it can be presented as getting tough on crime.

I don't think immigration, in general, want 90 day reporting or TM30 reporting. It serves no real purpose. At least it doesn't unless the data is managed and used. But until/if the immigration act is changed I think we will see it enforced more and more purely because of the increasing numbers of expats living in private properties. I was told towards the back end of last year that they are working on making TM30 reporting available online to everyone.

Of course none of this reporting makes a jot of difference to "serious criminal activity' and IMO whenever the authorities link it to helping fight crime it's just more PR spin. TM30 reporting could be, in some cases, used to track down overstayers but we've never seen that in action, and unless they use the information I don't see the point to it. Real criminals will know the system and avoid hotels etc.

I don't think immigration, in general, want 90 day reporting or TM30 reporting. It serves no real purpose. At least it doesn't unless the data is managed and used. But until/if the immigration act is changed I think we will see it enforced more and more purely because of the increasing numbers of expats living in private properties. I was told towards the back end of last year that they are working on making TM30 reporting available online to everyone.

Of course none of this reporting makes a jot of difference to "serious criminal activity' and IMO whenever the authorities link it to helping fight crime it's just more PR spin. TM30 reporting could be, in some cases, used to track down overstayers but we've never seen that in action, and unless they use the information I don't see the point to it. Real criminals will know the system and avoid hotels etc.

I agree, if you kept reporting the same address for 5 yrs but you moved 4 1/2 yrs ago to a different address they wouldn't no any different. As for getting tough on crime, hell 99.9 % of crime is do by Thai's, so what is the big need for knowing where foreiners are? Sounds like paranoia to me.

Shouldn't there be some big changes to immigration now that Thailand is part of ASEAN?

Thailand has been a member of ASEAN since its inception in 1967 (and of the forerunner ASA since 1961). You are probably thinking of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC). Right now, that is mainly just aspirational. It could provide an impetus to economic growth in the region, but there are many vested interests and xenophobia in the way of effective implementation.

Why not just put her address on the TM 6. No need to register after that.

Section 38 reporting has nothing to do with the TM 6 form you fill out on entering Thailand.

If you always stay in hotels when you visit, you have no need to understand these archaic and arcane rules. If you will be renting an apartment or staying in a girlfriend's house (especially if staying long term) I suggest you become familiar with them.

• Like 1