Tourism: the cost of terrorism

webfact

Tourism: the cost of terrorism

606x341_328104.jpg

PARIS: -- After Brussels the question being asked is – how long does it take for people to return to a place after a terrorist attack?

In January, a suicide bomber killed 12 Germans near Istanbul’s Blue Mosque. Germany traditionally accounts for the largest number of visitors to Turkey.

German travel group TUI has reported a 40 percent drop in summer bookings for holidays in Turkey and the picture for Britain, the number three market, is uncertain.

British holiday company Thomas Cook said more of its customers were opting to visit Spain, as well as the United States and Cuba. Fewer wanted to go to Turkey, it added.

Turkey’s tourism revenue is predicted to tumble by around 10.7 billion euros this year.

It seems not many think like one Columbian visitor, who said at the time of the Blue Mosque bombing: “I just have one day left [of my holiday], but if I was staying longer, I would stay. I don’t think terrorism should take hold of us. We should be brave about that.”

Tourists from the richest countries, who tend to be the biggest spenders, are also the most easily spooked by security worries.

Getting used to terrorism

It is estimated French hotels lost 270 million euros from cancelled bookings after last November’s Paris attacks.

The head of Accor, Europe’s largest hotel group, said the effect would probably last three to four months, but that was before Brussels.

This is how one American tourist saw the situation last November: “Unfortunately, people are getting so used to terrorism in our society that people are not going to change their lives for terrorism. They might do it temporarily, but over time I think people just realise that they have to live their lives, they have to move on and go about their daily life and I think tourists will do the same.”

Tourism industry analysts concur, and see recovery times shortening significantly.

In New York after the 9/11 twin towers attacks in 2001, hotel occupancy levels took 34 months to get back to where they were previously.

But following the 2004 bombings at Madrid’s Atocha station they were back after one year and in London following the 7th of July attacks in 2005 it was nine months.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-03-25

The world only needs to adopt the Thai model as nothing EVER affects tourism and there's no terrorism.

The bombing at the Erawan shrine, supposedly the work of foreigners, wasn't terrorism according to the authorities although they've never really explained the motive. Protecting tourism at all costs is the only important thing.

Edited by Caveat Emptor

I absolutely agree with the American Tourist who said.:

“Unfortunately, people are getting so used to terrorism in our society that people are not going to change their lives for terrorism. They might do it temporarily, but over time I think people just realise that they have to live their lives, they have to move on and go about their daily life and I think tourists will do the same.”

If we let the terrorists dictate the way we live our life, then it means that they have ultimately won.

It, the situation, has had an effect on my wife. Usually our trips back to UK go through Heathrow. For our next trip she is searching other routes etc to get back through quieter airports on our way to Scotland. We usually do a stop over somewhere on the way but now she has decided, decreed, that that will not happen next time.

So my answer is it does have an effect to a lesser or greater degree depending on the individual.

After Brussels the question being asked is – how long does it take for people to return to a place after a terrorist attack?

Imho, if Brussels was some place I was interested in going, I'd book a flight right now. Lightening and terrorist attacks don't strike in the same place twice.

When I visit Thailand I have been cautious to be in any large crowd at any

place, especially if there is going to be a concert. I barely missed the concert

a few years ago, where a bomb went off near the stage. My Thai family was equally cautious

and of course we all watched on TV as the bomb went off.

I have only wanted to go to a couple of places in Europe, and had thought of going

in the next couple of years, now I am not sure if I will go at all. I have seen how Versailles,

France has been transformed, and even some areas of South Pattaya. I am not at all comfortable to

go to places like those ones. I wanted to go to Switzerland and ride a train tour through

the country, but am waiting for a while now. I wonder what is going to happen next with

These Islamic terrorists. What a stupid and crazy world we all live in.