Solar elec. system to cover all household needs

scorecard

I've noticed some articles saying it's getting easier and cheaper to install a home solar system to cover all the electricity needs of a typical family house.

My knowledge of this subject is zero and i'm guessing lots of folks would be interested to get some up to date information on this.

Can the local CM experts on this subject please share some facts. Not interested in wild unfounded comments, just facts and real opinions from the experts.

Thanks.

you will need a good way to store energy for night time use.

Not entirely necessary, unless you're off grid.

If I can use solar energy to run the air con during the daylight hours and keep the fabric of the building at a low temperature it's possible that I could save on night time electricity use. The added bonus is that the house stays cool all day long.

The biggest obstacle to solar energy is electrical storage. Solar provides plenty of electric when the sun is shining but nothing when it isn't - so you need an efficient way to store that electricity.

The best solution I have read about is the "Tesla Powerwall"; but getting one into Thailand is going to be expensive (import duties have increased dramatically as of 1 Jan 2016).

On-grid systems are not feasible as they require you to jump through multiple rings of fire, lick several b*tts and of course a couple of envelopes, not to forget the "luck component" if they eventually decide they may approve it, possible after more envelopes :D. Tried that, not worth the headache.

Off-grid is also not really an option as batteries will last 2...3 years in tropical climate and are very costly to replace.

On-grid systems are not feasible as they require you to jump through multiple rings of fire, lick several b*tts and of course a couple of envelopes, not to forget the "luck component" if they eventually decide they may approve it, possible after more envelopes biggrin.png. Tried that, not worth the headache.

Off-grid is also not really an option as batteries will last 2...3 years in tropical climate and are very costly to replace.

forklift batteries may be an option, had the same ones running here ( in a forklift) for over 10 years, still read 80% when charged

just keep them maintained

Archived