Ford Ranger or Toyota Revo

I've had my 2.2 auto ranger for two years almost...

Nothing but praise for it...

Three year warranty and free service was a bit of a con as you just pay top whack for oil and filters (so free=3000bht)

Synthetic oil does cost a bit more than mineral oil, but service interval is 15,000km thumbsup.gif

I have the 2012 Ranger. The Vigo was a game changer when it came out, but the Revo appears as if it was designed by interns...

Ford Ranger, no brainer...

It looks like I will be buying a Ford XLS 2.2 Turbo but the basic extended cab. Price beats Toyota and Isuzu I think because it is last years model. 20,000 off the down payment but it has power windows, mirrors and CD player with USB input. No remote locking. Still a new truck with full warranty and all the standard extras.

The new model was 590,000, yes, the cheap one but I really do not need transportation. I need hauling capacity and a Harley won't do it.

• Like 1

The saying is Toyota has a better resale value in 5 years +. If that is of any concern, buy a Toyota. If you want the better and nicer car, Ford it is.

Haven't been impressed by Ford sales staff though, but that was 2 1/2 years ago. They were bluntly telling lies, so if this happens before you even buy a car, what would after sales support be like? That was the no-go for me and I got the Mazda instead.

The only reason Thai people are saying the Toyota will have a better re-sale value over the Ranger is because they all go out on test drives in the 3.2 litre and then go inside the showroom and choose the cheapest low spec 2.2 litre Ranger.

I feel sorry for them as the resale value of that truck probably wont be anywhere near the 3.2 litre ones. By the time they realise their mistake its too late.

Same reason Ford Thailand have stopped selling the incredible 1 litre Fiesta and only stock the 1.5 now. The 1 litre was faster, more economical and more powerful but because it was 50,000 Baht more Thai people wouldn't buy it. Doh!

Edited by Transporter

Ford's Ranger, arguably the best pickup truck you can't buy in the U.S., was the No. 1-selling pickup in Europe in 2015.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/01/16/europes-best-selling-pickup-might-surprise-america.aspx

Unlikely that the curent Ranger was the best selling pick-up in Europe in 2015 as it wasn't released in Europe until 2016.

The Ford Ranger mark seen today has been available in the UK for at least a couple of years, possibly as early as 2013.
No. The current PX MK2 was released Q1 2016 in Europe. The Mk1 has been available since early 2012.

The article in question was issued in January 2016 and comments on increased sales and market share from PX/T6 launch in late 2011 through late 2015. Since the PX2 or whatever you want to call it only arrived in Europe in late 2015, with its minor styling makeover and some mechanical upgrades, it is simply carrying on the good work initiated by the PX/T6. Maybe they should not have used the PX2 picture for an article that was 90% about the PX1.

• Like 1

Whatever you do. Don't buy the color Red, Blue, White, Silver, Orange or Black. All are unlucky for accidents, in Thailand.

You are right, my silver one got rear-ended and the car that hit me was black!!!

Ford was tougher!

Yes, and it's absolutely brilliant. Bought the high end Revo twin cab which has as many features as you can manage. My favorite is the cruise control. Manu extas included. I can ring up and get next day service. Can't speak too highly of it. Fuel economy is about one third better than my 8 year old Fortuna.

• Like 1

Yes, and it's absolutely brilliant. Bought the high end Revo twin cab which has as many features as you can manage. My favorite is the cruise control. Manu extas included. I can ring up and get next day service. Can't speak too highly of it. Fuel economy is about one third better than my 8 year old Fortuna.

Cruise control is pretty standard on all higher-end pickups.

The version on the Wildtrak 3.2L is the only one that's adaptive though - if the cars ahead are moving slower than your preset speed it will automatically slow down - then resume you original speed once the road is clear. You can even set the follow distance to the car ahead, so no-one thinks the gap is something you opened for them ;)

That said, there's nothing wrong with the Revo (styling is subjective though). The only things with it are the fuel economy claims which just don't seem at all possible in the real world. It was a decent improvement over the outgoing VIGO, though - quieter and with slightly improved ride quality. The new 2.8L diesel is a good improvement over the old 3.0L. The new 2.4L is one I struggle with though - it doesn't seem to set any new bars for performance or economy in the "small diesel engine" sub-segment.

However, the outgoing VIGO was already outclassed by the MY11 Ranger, and the Revo update wasn't enough to give the Hilux what it needs to compete with the MY15 and MY16 Ranger's, IMHO.

The saying is Toyota has a better resale value in 5 years +. If that is of any concern, buy a Toyota. If you want the better and nicer car, Ford it is.

Haven't been impressed by Ford sales staff though, but that was 2 1/2 years ago. They were bluntly telling lies, so if this happens before you even buy a car, what would after sales support be like? That was the no-go for me and I got the Mazda instead.

The only reason Thai people are saying the Toyota will have a better re-sale value over the Ranger is because they all go out on test drives in the 3.2 litre and then go inside the showroom and choose the cheapest low spec 2.2 litre Ranger.

I feel sorry for them as the resale value of that truck probably wont be anywhere near the 3.2 litre ones. By the time they realise their mistake its too late.

Same reason Ford Thailand have stopped selling the incredible 1 litre Fiesta and only stock the 1.5 now. The 1 litre was faster, more economical and more powerful but because it was 50,000 Baht more Thai people wouldn't buy it. Doh!

No, the reason Thai people are saying the revo will have a better resale value is because they will depreciate less on the revo than on the ranger.
  • Like 2

No, the reason Thai people are saying the revo will have a better resale value is because they will depreciate less on the revo than on the ranger.

If you open these two links:

http://www.taladrod.com/w30/iCar/SchMktPrc.aspx?mk=37&md=441

http://www.taladrod.com/w30/iCar/SchMktPrc.aspx?mk=10&md=404

Then look at comparable models like the Vigo 3.0L 4WD G, and the Ranger Wildtrak 3.2L 4x4, you'll see there's not a lot between them.

2013 Hilux Vigo 3.0L double cab 4x4 G's are being advertised for 650,000 to 770,000 Baht, so avg = ~710K

2013 Ranger Wildtrak 3.2L double cab 4WD's are being advertised for 748,000 to 770,000 Baht, so avg = 759K

Note that the 3.2L Wildtrak was 50K more expensive when new (1,049,000 Baht).

I've never seen a clear stretch of road long enough to turn cruise control on. The Thai drivers manage to clog up any road.

• Like 1

Then look at comparable models like the Vigo 3.0L 4WD G, and the Ranger Wildtrak 3.2L 4x4, you'll see there's not a lot between them.

2013 Hilux Vigo 3.0L double cab 4x4 G's are being advertised for 650,000 to 770,000 Baht, so avg = ~710K

2013 Ranger Wildtrak 3.2L double cab 4WD's are being advertised for 748,000 to 770,000 Baht, so avg = 759K

Thanks for the research. So there really isn't any difference in resale over the short term. Are the service costs also comparable? In the long term I guess it comes down to reliability.

• Like 1

Do dealers give discounts....... No idea today, but 2 months ago easy to get 100,000 baht discount on the Revo.. they were not selling...... The Ranger got 60,000 baht discount + extras on the XLT.. the Ford won by miles over the rest.

Was all set to exchange to another Mazda Hi-Racer, but the Ford was the same price and side by side was a no brainer.

Revo not selling?You should look at Sales stats...
  • Like 1

I'm not convinced yet, but these indications are excellent news for Ranger drivers.

• Like 1

Do dealers give discounts....... No idea today, but 2 months ago easy to get 100,000 baht discount on the Revo.. they were not selling...... The Ranger got 60,000 baht discount + extras on the XLT.. the Ford won by miles over the rest.

Was all set to exchange to another Mazda Hi-Racer, but the Ford was the same price and side by side was a no brainer.

Revo not selling?You should look at Sales stats...

My Mazda was at 400,000 km, always change at this km, so that was December 2015.. Test drove them all, at that time and until the end of January the Revo had 100,000 discount.. The XLT Ranger just won, little better inside then the New Mazda + outside looks good.

for sure now see a lot of Revo's about, for me was just not so great to drive + the extra expense in service parts than a Mazda/Ford. [if this was the only reason then would have had another D-Max] doing 400,000 km in 4 years or less need something that suits me + it is a work horse - canopy is packed full now

Edited by ignis

He said " Thai people say" . He not say what realy happened.

As my wife 5 month ago say this is about Teana.( my frien offer for me loan car for price in total pay even cheper full price on second hand market. And only 22k on ODO)

She say this is not good car in Thailand as fortuner. So she do not want change..reason not good resel price and it Thai think its nots same "prestige" as fortuner camry or accord.

F...k what can be prestige from cheap price car???

Its need look usebility.

And Teana v6 bit on this is many car on Thai market.

I live in Loei province and have seen more Isuzus that the Revos. I thought it may be a local thing so I looked for numbers on the Internet. Apparently the Revo isn't selling that well. Toyota has lost its crown.

That may affect resale down the line also.

http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2016/03/thailand-january-2016-market-back-down-isuzu-d-max-stays-1/

I live in Loei province and have seen more Isuzus that the Revos. I thought it may be a local thing so I looked for numbers on the Internet. Apparently the Revo isn't selling that well. Toyota has lost its crown.

http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2016/03/thailand-january-2016-market-back-down-isuzu-d-max-stays-1/

Still hard to believe one of the lesser trucks in #1 spot until you remember where we are.

Still hard to believe one of the lesser trucks in #1 spot until you remember where we are.

So far, Isuzu has had the most bookings at the motorshow, followed by honda. I think more isuzu trucks are sold here than the revo.

Lesser truck than what? I happen to be very happy with my V-Cross. Plenty of power and the last tank of fuel doing all local driving was 14.65 KPL. For the 3.0 liter and a 4X4, I consider that quite impressive. I would have liked to have a Ford but I wasn't willing to pay the premium.

• Like 1

Lesser truck than what? I happen to be very happy with my V-Cross. Plenty of power and the last tank of fuel doing all local driving was 14.65 KPL. For the 3.0 liter and a 4X4, I consider that quite impressive. I would have liked to have a Ford but I wasn't willing to pay the premium.

And there's the rub...

Even though the D-Max usually ends up ranked last in comparison tests, it's still a highly competent, reasonably comfortable performer. I doubt there's anyone buying a current generation Japanese or American pickup that doesn't love it for what it is.

So far, Isuzu has had the most bookings at the motorshow, followed by honda. I think more isuzu trucks are sold here than the revo.

Not that it's saying much - the bookings count this year is very low sad.png

For the months of Jan-Feb 2016, sales volumes look like this:

D-Max: 20,662

Revo: 15,774

Ranger: 4,105

NP300: 3,537

Triton: 3,524

Colorado: 1,809

BT-50 935

I think what is more telling than the sales numbers are the percentages. Isuzu up only 1 percent but the Revo is down 27 percent.

Well, the Ford for one. And the Mazda and probably the Nissan and the Toyota too. In nearly every comparison test its the Isuzu, Chevy and Mitsu propping everyone up.

You mentioned that you felt the Ford was too expensive, but from a cursory glance, prices seem 'fair' cross the board with only really the Toyota possibly being priced above its station.

I would also hope that Ford's recent sales successes will translate into some of the poorer service centres (Phuket & Pattaya come to mind) having to up their game. If not, they should lose their franchises, but it depends if Ford are only interested in rewarding flash sales figures or providing service levels on par with the quality of their vehicles.

Well, the Ford for one. And the Mazda and probably the Nissan and the Toyota too. In nearly every comparison test its the Isuzu, Chevy and Mitsu propping everyone up.

You mentioned that you felt the Ford was too expensive, but from a cursory glance, prices seem 'fair' cross the board with only really the Toyota possibly being priced above its station.

I would also hope that Ford's recent sales successes will translate into some of the poorer service centres (Phuket & Pattaya come to mind) having to up their game. If not, they should lose their franchises, but it depends if Ford are only interested in rewarding flash sales figures or providing service levels on par with the quality of their vehicles.

I always insist on buying my vehicles locally. The Ford dealer was actually rude and refused to deal at all. Since I bought the Ford Focus new from that dealer, I thought that I deserved the salesman to at least be polite. I was treated like a tire kicker and he didn't want to waste his time talking to me. The Isuzu and Mazda salesmen followed me all around the lot and they were anxious to deal.

The interior of the wildtrack is IMHO awful... Low quality plastics and garish colours. Poor seats too. The revo looks awful, drives terrible with feeless steering.

I would have considered the Isuzu but no 4 door was available in new model at the time. Tried the navara sport-tech , great interior, loads of kit, 3 years service and breakdown etc etc.. 200k cheaper than ford or Toyota. Most reviews in Australia say the navara is best truck on sale...why do all wiltrack drivers drive so aggressively and generally badly?

• Like 2