Chiang Mai: Unidentified foreigner killed racing motorcycle

webfact

Having just spent the morning in the morgue - I'm not really looking to argue over this. The person in question was often a bit of a plonker. However, it does appear that the accident occurred because he was cut up on the road by the other driver.

So nothing to do with him not practising the relatively easy skill of defensive driving then.

Congratulations

You've just won the award for 'dumbest post of the day'

Well done.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also ride quite often but more in the rural areas where it is a bit safer and there are fewer accidents that I see.

Moron!!! But we both got by safely doing about 75 to 80 kph.

Some might feel that driving at 75Kph on a rural road is madness and totally irresponsible..

I also ride quite often but more in the rural areas where it is a bit safer and there are fewer accidents that I see.

Moron!!! But we both got by safely doing about 75 to 80 kph.

Some might feel that driving at 75Kph on a rural road is madness and totally irresponsible..

Hi, i presume you are a Brit the same as me? 75 is only 45 mph, hardly speeding, but of course it would depend on the quality of the road etc.

It's almost impossible that a foreigner will not have a wallet on him be it a expat or a tourist, more likely scenario

would be that he was relieved of his valuables by a heartless bystander or other person/s unknown right

after the accident....it has been known to be widely practiced in many places around the world....

Almost impossible? BS, I don't even have a wallet. I only take cash with me. And if I think I might run out of cash, my ATM card.

To the poster above, sorry you lost your friend. But these stupid farang on motorbikes are killing Thai people all the time. Who is going to pay for the Thai woman's injuries/loss of income/ wrecked motorbike? If she recovers she will be scarred for life because of his stupidity/ selfishness.

Was the farang even insured? They are a burden on the hospital system here.

These farangs make Thailand dangerous for Thai people going about their lives. I know a Russian bloke who killed a Thai woman on a bike in Pattaya two years ago. He admits it was his fault, he fought tooth and nail not to pay compensation to the girls family (spent time in jail rather than coughing up about $5,000), he had no insurance, no license and absolutely no remorse.

He did cop a severe beating at the scene from the angry Thais who witnessed it.

I call "B.S." on your rant. Every farang I know who drives a big bike, drives 10 times more responsibly than ANY Thai driver I know, and wears the proper safety equipment. Plus they all have proper license and insurance. But I know more than a few Thai big bike riders who all think they are Evil Kanevil (sp), and the best thing on two wheels. No license and no insurance.

Back when I had my CBR250, and was on one of my monthly road trips, I got pass by 8 Thai on bikes bigger than mine. 4 bikes, 2 on each one. Short pants, muscle shirts, no helmets. They pulled up beside me, looked a my bike, laughed and shot away. About 5 klm up the road, 3 of the bikes are down in a tangled mess. Two of the riders were definitely dead from their heads being popped open like melons, and the other 4 were in serious condition. I stopped and flagged down the next car coming, and got them to call for help. Then I resumed my trip. Check the stats for big bike rider deaths, and you'll find that Thai far and away outnumber farang.

Very Interesting how this post degenerated into the usual Thaivisa squabbling. RIP to the deceased and get well soon to the Thai lady. We all have different experiences here in Thailand. I have been driving

cars and motorbikes here for 35 years. I have had a single motorcycle accident, on a back road in banglamung when i went round a blind corner and was confronted with a 12 year old on a step thru on the wrong side of the road. Twice i have

had car accidents involving motorbikes, once on Sukhumvit road when i was hit by two old ladies carrying three kids on a bike, no license, tax, insurance or safety gear, the second time when i was stationary at lights and a young lady on a motorbike

changed lanes and got hit by a motorcycle taxi and they both ran into my driver side door. When I lived in rayong and mabtaphud (before they ruined that nice little village) I had more clsoe calls than all the years I have driven in Bangkok. I have always found that most Thais have no basic understanding of the highway code, and little common sense. On the other hand I have seen idiot farangs hiring the biggest bike they could find in Pattaya and falling off within minutes. I have also seen excellent Foreign and Thai motorcyclists, who drive reasonably, defensively and wear the proper kit. I dont know what happened in this case, but I can say in my own personal experience that most Thai's on Motorbikes are totally oblivious to other road users and that is the reason for the huge number of bike accidents and fatalities here.

It's almost impossible that a foreigner will not have a wallet on him be it a expat or a tourist, more likely scenario

would be that he was relieved of his valuables by a heartless bystander or other person/s unknown right

after the accident....it has been known to be widely practiced in many places around the world....

Almost impossible? BS, I don't even have a wallet. I only take cash with me. And if I think I might run out of cash, my ATM card.

To the poster above, sorry you lost your friend. But these stupid farang on motorbikes are killing Thai people all the time. Who is going to pay for the Thai woman's injuries/loss of income/ wrecked motorbike? If she recovers she will be scarred for life because of his stupidity/ selfishness.

These farangs make Thailand dangerous for Thai people going about their lives. I know a Russian bloke who killed a Thai woman on a bike in Pattaya two years ago. He admits it was his fault, he fought tooth and nail not to pay compensation to the girls family (spent time in jail rather than coughing up about $5,000), he had no insurance, no license and absolutely no remorse.

What a blx post. The reverse is true for almost everything you say. Except of course the severe beating, I believe that bit, they're always ready to give a farang a gang beating.

6am in the morning, riding at speed, probably angry, no crash helmet, big powerful bike......... Accident or was he an accident waiting to happen. Death is sad, but common sense and self control or lack off appears to be the issue here. From what I am reading, he only had himself to blame. In any country in the world, you drive/ride as the road and conditions permit. Speeding is not part of that deal.

I call "B.S." on your rant. Every farang I know who drives a big bike, drives 10 times more responsibly than ANY Thai driver I know, and wears the proper safety equipment. Plus they all have proper license and insurance. But I know more than a few Thai big bike riders who all think they are Evil Kanevil (sp), and the best thing on two wheels. No license and no insurance.

Back when I had my CBR250, and was on one of my monthly road trips, I got pass by 8 Thai on bikes bigger than mine. 4 bikes, 2 on each one. Short pants, muscle shirts, no helmets. They pulled up beside me, looked a my bike, laughed and shot away. About 5 klm up the road, 3 of the bikes are down in a tangled mess. Two of the riders were definitely dead from their heads being popped open like melons, and the other 4 were in serious condition. I stopped and flagged down the next car coming, and got them to call for help. Then I resumed my trip. Check the stats for big bike rider deaths, and you'll find that Thai far and away outnumber farang.

I beg to differ. I know a lot of both Thai and Farang big bike riders and my experience is that the farang riders are more irresponsible (a couple without licences, a lot of them likes to speed excessively).

I've been on a few sanctioned big bike rides with both Thai and farangs. On a particular ride, it was the farang rider (Swiss guy) who got pulled up and given a talking to by the ride leader and marshalls for making some reckless moves.

6am in the morning, riding at speed, probably angry, no crash helmet, big powerful bike......... Accident or was he an accident waiting to happen. Death is sad, but common sense and self control or lack off appears to be the issue here. From what I am reading, he only had himself to blame. In any country in the world, you drive/ride as the road and conditions permit. Speeding is not part of that deal.

6am on a sunday morning meaning the night before was saturday night, a popular night to go out an enjoy yourself and have a few beers or more. Argument in the early hours with his GF. Goes off on a ride at the end of the night beginning of the next day. Possibly very tired at this point and then the speed of the bike. What was the road surface like at the scene. Loose dirt , pot holes from the road works? Did the scooter rider swerve around hole or a compacted pile of dirt stuck on the road?

RIP to the unfortunate guy but there will have been a whole load of factors leading up to this tragedy.

Well where do we start.

I never mentioned big bikes, I was talking all bikes.

I never said very farang was an idiot. But heaps of Farangs crash bikes every single day hear, often maiming and killing Thais.

They can't ride, they have know idea of the Thai driving styles, don't ride motorbikes in their own countries,are often drunk, no helmets and speeding. No license, no insurance and no sense of what is the right thing to do, regarding paying for their damage caused. It happened today, will happen tomorrow. Usually with their indicators on while not actually turning. I see them everyday.

Spent any time in Samui, phangan, Phuket, everyday you see Farangs in bandages. Thais are better riders by a mile, they grow up on them.

The Russian bloke killed a girl two years ago on Theppasit, his name started with A, I don't want to name him because he scares me/ has no remorse. Killed. You may be able to google it, I can't be bothered, I know what happened.

Read the link provided above .

It shows who is BSing.

No matter what happens, just keep spinning and ALWAYS blame the Thais.

I beg to differ. I know a lot of both Thai and Farang big bike riders and my experience is that the farang riders are more irresponsible (a couple without licences, a lot of them likes to speed excessively).

I've been on a few sanctioned big bike rides with both Thai and farangs. On a particular ride, it was the farang rider (Swiss guy) who got pulled up and given a talking to by the ride leader and marshalls for making some reckless moves.

Ride leader? Was he a baby?

Well where do we start.

I never said very farang was an idiot. But heaps of Farangs crash bikes every single day hear, often maiming and killing Thais.

They can't ride, they have know idea of the Thai driving styles, don't ride motorbikes in their own countries,are often drunk, no helmets and speeding. No license, no insurance and no sense of what is the right thing to do, regarding paying for their damage caused. It happened today, will happen tomorrow. Usually with their indicators on while not actually turning. I see them everyday.

Spent any time in Samui, phangan, Phuket, everyday you see Farangs in bandages. Thais are better riders by a mile, they grow up on them.

The Russian bloke killed a girl two years ago on Theppasit, his name started with A, I don't want to name him because he scares me/ has no remorse. Killed. You may be able to google it, I can't be bothered, I know what happened.

It shows who is BSing.

You are so uneducated about driving or living in Thailand you must be a troll or a Thai person in denial. So funny if not a serious issue

Hahahaha. For your information, he was leading on the fastest production motorcycle of that time, the Kawasaki ZX-14. He was also at one time the top rated Thai racer.

So, in answer to your question, he wasn't a baby.

You should go riding on a big bike sometime

Well where do we start.

It shows who is BSing.

You are so uneducated about driving or living in Thailand you must be a troll or a Thai person in denial. So funny if not a serious issue

What are you actually trying to say? That all accidents involving a farang are caused by Thais? That no farang rider ever makes a mistake? That all farang riders are better than Thai riders?

More than likely, the Thai girl on the scooter changed lanes without looking and thats how the accident happened.

And as usual. thais always blame farangs and that is why people say that farangs (even bikers), kill thai people...

when the actual fact is that thai stupidity kills people...

OK then, we'll take your "more than likely" as fact. whistling.gif I'm sure you were an expert eyewitness of the event.

As usual, farangs always blame Thais for blaming farangs.

More than likely, the Thai girl on the scooter changed lanes without looking and thats how the accident happened.

And as usual. thais always blame farangs and that is why people say that farangs (even bikers), kill thai people...

when the actual fact is that thai stupidity kills people...

OK then, we'll take your "more than likely" as fact. whistling.gif I'm sure you were an expert eyewitness of the event.

As usual, farangs always blame Thais for blaming farangs.

Take a look at post #28.

Would you care to make another post?

Having lived here a long and ridden to most places in Thailand i can say with no hesitation you are talking s##t.

I am sure it has happened that that "farangs" have been the cause of death to Thai people in motor accidents, but to state that we are riding about Thailand and killing Thai people as you say is at best wrong and ill informed.

Nearly everyday you can see videos of Thai people driving or riding in crazy and dangerous ways on the internet. If as you state us "farangs" were causing these accidents, please show me the evidence.

Just because you knew one person, that is not enough proof to make stupid statements as you have.

We are a burden on the hospitals here? Really? Are you on medication?

Great post........his stupidity and blinkered-ness knows no bounds!!

I doubt a cheap helmet would have saved him anyway , speed kills in Thailand. This time it was a farang, yes it's stupid to drive at high speed without a helmet , and maybe after drinking alcohol , very stupid, but what can you do , we are all in control of our own destiny most of the time.

I don't even ride a bike , I drive a car and try to stick to the speed limits. I could still get killed by an idiot tomorrow but at least I try to think safety first . We only live once.

Edited by balo

6am on a sunday morning meaning the night before was saturday night, a popular night to go out an enjoy yourself and have a few beers or more. Argument in the early hours with his GF. Goes off on a ride at the end of the night beginning of the next day. Possibly very tired at this point and then the speed of the bike. What was the road surface like at the scene. Loose dirt , pot holes from the road works? Did the scooter rider swerve around hole or a compacted pile of dirt stuck on the road?

RIP to the unfortunate guy but there will have been a whole load of factors leading up to this tragedy.

Yeah.......sheer stupidity being one of them........There are that many <deleted> foreigners here i wonder how they could afford the air-ticket!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3212338/Nicole-Fitzsimons-killed-motorbike-accident-Koh-Samui-Thailand.html

This beautiful young girl was killed by Thai wreckless motor driving. Thai was 110 % at fault as can be seen in cctv. Yet no punishment?? Anyone know where this Thai lives?? I'd like to give him the punishment he deserves. RIP

Edited by Tigerbythetail

Hahahaha. For your information, he was leading on the fastest production motorcycle of that time, the Kawasaki ZX-14. He was also at one time the top rated Thai racer.

:) Actually i meant having a ride leader

I do have a 650 Versys, my last trip was just under 16,000 km

Have a read wai2.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/889143-further-motorbike-travels-in-thailand-malaysia-and-laos/

Well where do we start.

It shows who is BSing.

What are you actually trying to say? That all accidents involving a farang are caused by Thais? That no farang rider ever makes a mistake? That all farang riders are better than Thai riders?

No, but if you take the country as a whole, "farangs" are better riders. If you cherry pick tourist areas where inexperienced "farangs" on holiday rent bikes, no. But also in many of these cases where accidents occur it is because they are not used to the "style" of driving and riding here.

I agree it is stupid to drive the way many do and the lady should get compensation. However, when a Thai causes an accident with a foreigner they should also pay the same amount of compensation which never happens. Lets be fair, compensation is required yes but there has to be the same payout from the person causing the accident irrespective if Thai or foreigner and that does not happen

<snipped> However, when a Thai causes an accident with a foreigner they should also pay the same amount of compensation which never happens. Lets be fair, compensation is required yes but there has to be the same payout from the person causing the accident irrespective if Thai or foreigner and that does not happen

Welcome to Thailand.

It isnt anything new to me. I have been here over 30 years but it doesnt make it right

I agree it is stupid to drive the way many do and the lady should get compensation. However, when a Thai causes an accident with a foreigner they should also pay the same amount of compensation which never happens. Lets be fair, compensation is required yes but there has to be the same payout from the person causing the accident irrespective if Thai or foreigner and that does not happen

<snipped> However, when a Thai causes an accident with a foreigner they should also pay the same amount of compensation which never happens. Lets be fair, compensation is required yes but there has to be the same payout from the person causing the accident irrespective if Thai or foreigner and that does not happen

Welcome to Thailand.

It isnt anything new to me. I have been here over 30 years but it doesnt make it right

I agree that it doesn't make it right but what can we or anyone do about it? Most of the time, if the accident involves another bike (ridden by a local), chances are that the bike is uninsured and the rider can't afford any compensation.

Best thing is to avoid getting into an accident by riding safely and defensively and leave the ego at home

It shows who is BSing.

No, but if you take the country as a whole, "farangs" are better riders. If you cherry pick tourist areas where inexperienced "farangs" on holiday rent bikes, no. But also in many of these cases where accidents occur it is because they are not used to the "style" of driving and riding here.

Hard to say really. I agree that a lot of resident (not short term tourists) farangs are better riders (especially on bigger bikes) because they had learnt to ride properly (which includes knowledge of Highway Code, road craft etc) in their home countries. Sadly here in Thailand, none of these are being taught and most riders and drivers are actually ignorant of what's right or wrong.

Having said that, the local Thais that I know that rides big bikes tend to have been educated abroad as well and therefore have some inkling of how to ride and behave on the roads

smile.png Actually i meant having a ride leader

I do have a 650 Versys, my last trip was just under 16,000 km

Have a read wai2.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/889143-further-motorbike-travels-in-thailand-malaysia-and-laos/

Great trip and great ride report. Wish I had the time to do such extended trips. As it is, I tend to do 7-10 day trips and cover anything from 3 - 5,000 km during such trips.

When the group rides are sanctioned by the likes of Kawasaki / Honda Big Wing, they take it quite seriously. Included in the cost of the ride are meals and hotel accomodation plus sponsored meals and drinks of course. On such trips, they need to have a ride leader who leads the way and sets the pace as well as marshalls and back up trucks.

Apart for the marketing exposure they get, it is also an opportunity for local riders to learn how to ride in a disciplined manner on the roads. Staggered formation, safe overtaking, traffic splitting etc.

It's not everyone's cup of tea but it does have it's fun elements. Best of all, everything is pre-organised so we just have to concentrate on the fun of riding