Personal details of hundreds of foreigners in Thailand leaked online

webfact

Just thinking about who has this same information on me, including my passport number or copies of my passport.

• The electric company, phone company, mobile phone provider, internet provider, True Visions and of course my banks
  • Some landlords and Real Estate agents.
  • Every dealer that I have purchased a motorcycle or car from in the past 12 years in Thailand.
  • Land Transport Office.
  • I don't use them, but Visa agents would if I did.
  • Many hotels or guesthouse I stayed in while traveling.
  • My car insurance, motorcycle insurance and health insurance companies.
  • A number of hospitals.
  • Online purchases where I provide my address and credit card numbers. Yes, some even requested a copy of passport.
  • Although not as common here, every time I gave someone a check, they got my address AND MY CHECKING ACCT NUMBER.
I could probably think of more if I really tried. YES, it is wrong to have your information posted on their website. Yes, they screwed up and someone should be held accountable. But I can't believe the paranoia of someone getting your information. Any one of the above I mention, or their staff, or hackers, could also be using and selling your information that you freely gave. The sky isn't falling because of this immigration website.
If you don't think it's that serious than go ahead and post all your details here on this thread.

Name

Passport number

Address

Telephone number

Occupation

Edited by ldiablo

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just thinking about who has this same information on me, including my passport number or copies of my passport.

• The electric company, phone company, mobile phone provider, internet provider, True Visions and of course my banks
  • Every dealer that I have purchased a motorcycle or car from in the past 12 years in Thailand.
  • Land Transport Office.
  • A number of hospitals.
  • Online purchases where I provide my address and credit card numbers. Yes, some even requested a copy of passport.
  • Although not as common here, every time I gave someone a check, they got my address AND MY CHECKING ACCT NUMBER.
I could probably think of more if I really tried. YES, it is wrong to have your information posted on their website. Yes, they screwed up and someone should be held accountable. But I can't believe the paranoia of someone getting your information. Any one of the above I mention, or their staff, or hackers, could also be using and selling your information that you freely gave. The sky isn't falling because of this immigration website.
If you don't think it's that serious than go ahead and post all your details here on this thread.

Name

Passport number

Address

Telephone number

Occupation

I may not be paranoid, but I am also not stupid! There are more nefarious characters on this site than the relatively small number who may have accessed the Immigration site (that's sarcasm by the way). :) As I posted, I agree it was wrong for this information to have been made available. My point is, if you live in Thailand any length of time, your information is given out on a regular basis and I don't believe many lose sleep over it.

It also happens offline. I always get back a list of names and passport numbers, or photocopy of a passport from somebody when I apply for 90-day reporting by post, as they re-use old paper to print the 90-day reporting receipt.

Ok so I believe it is now safe to reveal the other data breach I was talking about earlier.

https://www.facebook.com/thainetizen/photos/a.10150109699603130.289409.116319678129/10154096690983130/

As far as it's understood at this stage, travelers details have been exposed including: Name, Passport number, Flight number, Seat number, countries visited before, Address in Thailand, and in some cases Thai phone number and email address.

It seems to apply to anybody that had an Ebola screening required when arriving in Thailand in at least the last year or two.

Topic now running in TV News - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/906574-vast-trove-of-travelers-personal-info-posted-on-govt-website/

• Land Transport Office.
  • A number of hospitals.

Name

Passport number

Address

Telephone number

Occupation

I may not be paranoid, but I am also not stupid! There are more nefarious characters on this site than the relatively small number who may have accessed the Immigration site (that's sarcasm by the way). :) As I posted, I agree it was wrong for this information to have been made available. My point is, if you live in Thailand any length of time, your information is given out on a regular basis and I don't believe many lose sleep over it.

Dont you think that if an employee at a hotel I stayed at was caught giving out passport information on guests and personal data about them that they would be arrested for divulging this? Nothing will happen only in this instance simply because Thai Immigration released it to that idiot and he works for them.

Let some Jo blow try it and they will be prosecuted.

It was mentioned before that any Thaivisa users who innocently clicked on that site to look at it as it was posted about multiple times last night may be subject to legal issues. Is that really a concern?

The only people that legal action should be taken against are the people responsible for the site security. A bunch of incompetents
But in a country like Thailand where you can be prosecuted for clicking "like" on a picture in Facebook one has to wonder!

Why are those people there have responsibility not been arrested?

To leaking forranger´s private things is serious. Why all of us forrangers have to follow rules when them there make the rules not follow forranger´s private information?

You can´t play unmoral in this case and say "we try to update the site"

You can´t update a program in republic with pass port numbers. What about if something goes wrong?

• Land Transport Office.
  • A number of hospitals.

Name

Passport number

Address

Telephone number

Occupation

I may not be paranoid, but I am also not stupid! There are more nefarious characters on this site than the relatively small number who may have accessed the Immigration site (that's sarcasm by the way). smile.png As I posted, I agree it was wrong for this information to have been made available. My point is, if you live in Thailand any length of time, your information is given out on a regular basis and I don't believe many lose sleep over it.

Dont you think that if an employee at a hotel I stayed at was caught giving out passport information on guests and personal data about them that they would be arrested for divulging this? Nothing will happen only in this instance simply because Thai Immigration released it to that idiot and he works for them.

Let some Jo blow try it and they will be prosecuted.

IF they are caught, in the land of scams, yes they may be prosecuted. But it is also hard to prosecute someone for stupidity. My original post said; "Yes, they screwed up and someone should be held accountable." So basically we are in agreement.

what's it matter if you have nothing to hide .....

only those of a criminal element would be concerned ...... any law abiding citizen who doesn't cheat, hide, steal or do anything of illegal activity shouldn't care .... coffee1.gif

Bulls hit. I am not doing anything illegal but I do care about identity theft! And the Government should not be contributing to that possibility! coffee1.gif

Excellent. Now they not only harass you every 90 days, and once a year, but they allow your most private information to be broadcast on the Web. Thanks Thailand!

But I'm OK. I know because whenever the 90-day online report fails, they say my info is not in the computer smile.png .

Phewpost-35489-0-48650100-1438590474.gif. Lucky me!

crazy.gif

what's it matter if you have nothing to hide .....

only those of a criminal element would be concerned ...... any law abiding citizen who doesn't cheat, hide, steal or do anything of illegal activity shouldn't care .... coffee1.gif

I like your twist. But let me retwist it a little bit.

The law abiding citizens have every right to be concerned that their information is being exposed to those of "criminal element".

The only people that legal action should be taken against are the people responsible for the site security. A bunch of incompetents

So when somebody robs your house its your fault because your security was not good enough, including accidently leaving your front door unlocked. And the cops should arrest you.

TH

Surely if you accidently (accidentally?) left your front door open and somebody robbed your house, it WOULD be your fault, and I am sure that the Insurance Company would also see it that way!

So when somebody robs your house its your fault because your security was not good enough, including accidently leaving your front door unlocked. And the cops should arrest you.

TH

Surely if you accidently (accidentally?) left your front door open and somebody robbed your house, it WOULD be your fault, and I am sure that the Insurance Company would also see it that way!

As an ex employee of a very very large insurance company, YES. Many insurers do not cover theft only burglary (forcible entry).