My First Non-O, Need help with first 90 day exp/re-entry

OK, after months of headaches, finally have my first Non-O. They said I still need to leave an re-enter every 90 days even though the visa is valid for a year. The 90 days will expire on May 11, however, on March 19th I flew here to USA but got a re-entry stamp at the airport because that's the only way the immigration said I can still keep my visa valid. I'm scheduled to fly back to Bangkok on May 9th but that first 90 days expires on May 11th so does that mean I have to leave the country again 2 days later?

If your O is a multi entry, which it sounds like, you don't need a re-entry permit. Every time you enter Thailand you will get stamped in for 90 days until the use by or enter by date

If you post a copy of the visa, and obscure all your personal data you will get a very clear answer.

If you have a multiple entry non-o visa obtained at a embassy or consulate you don't need a re-entry permit and will get a new 90 day entry when you arrive. Your first 90 day entered ended when you left the country.

It sounds like you may of applied for and received a one year extension of stay at immigration. For this you do need a re-entry permit and make 90 day reports to immigration. You do not have to leave the country every 90 days.

6. PERIOD OF STAY

Holder of this type of visa is entitled to stay in Thailand for a maximum period of 90 days. He or she may apply for an extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau and may be granted such extension for a period of one year from the date of first entry into Thailand.

Well, I've found out one of my questions that the numb-nut immigration officials were so unclear about when I was trying to get this on about 3-4 attempts to Laos. I love how each time I ask a different immigration officer, I get a different answer. Well, I'm now in a predicament. It says I may be granted an extension for a period of 1 year from the date of first entry into Thailand? Previously I was on Tourist Visas pretty much for 8 years, spending some time in other countries and a couple months in the US every year but since my son is nearly 4 and I'm not with his mother anymore, I pretty much have to stay in Bangkok to be close to him. I do get him 3/days week which is good. OK, any advice would be much appreciated!!!

I have a one year single entry Non-O.

You do not have a multiple entry visa. A single is only good for 3 months from the date of issue.

You will be stamped into the country to May 11th when you use the re-entry permit on the 9th.

I assume you got the re-entry permit to keep your 90 day entry valid so you could apply for an extension at immigration. You might be able to get it done if you have everything prepared when your arrive.

Edit: In reply to your last post. You could get a 60 day extension of your entry to visit your child.

What type of one year extension do you plan on applying for.

Yes, doing more research, I guess the visa is good for one year which I thought I would have but I only get 90 days out of it. My son is actually alone with me for this 7 week trip. I don't watch him full-time, but although both myself and his mother moved on, we are all civil and I'm pretty sure that she would vouch that I do take care of him full-time. He also goes to an International School in Thailand which I pay for and have full documentation from my bank statement. I'm only 37 so I'm not eligible for retirement visa. What would I need to extend it?

If you want a one year extension of stay based on being the parent of a Thai child you will need :- 400K Bht in a Thai bank, the child's birth certificate and tabiab baan (plus copies) together with official (from Thai court or Amphur) confirmation of custody.

Asking your ex (wife?) to lie to Government officials would be a very bad idea.

Yes, doing more research, I guess the visa is good for one year which I thought I would have but I only get 90 days out of it. My son is actually alone with me for this 7 week trip. I don't watch him full-time, but although both myself and his mother moved on, we are all civil and I'm pretty sure that she would vouch that I do take care of him full-time. He also goes to an International School in Thailand which I pay for and have full documentation from my bank statement. I'm only 37 so I'm not eligible for retirement visa. What would I need to extend it?

If you use the re-entry permit you could get the 60 day extension to give you additional time. Your son would need to be with you when you apply. You will need their birth certificate plus a copy and a copy of their house book registry.

If you are the legal father of your child by way of legitimization or marriage you could apply for a one year extension based upon being the parent of a Thai You will need 400k baht in the bank or proof of 40k baht income.

If not the legal father see How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father

• Like 1

OK, thanks for the responses, info, and advice everybody.

Edit: In reply to your last post. You could get a 60 day extension of your entry to visit your child.

UbonJoe, a 60 day extension would be great to get my things sorted out. Do you know what I need to do this?

While you are in the USA (if you are there), you can get a real multiple-entry non-immigrant O from an honorary consulate if you have a copy of the thai birth certificate translated into english.

Or you can get a single entry non-o and then go through the extension process at a later point on that new entry.

The extension is going to cost you 1900 baht for 60 days. For a little more, you can just get another single entry non-o which would give you 90 days when you enter.

If you wait until you come back on this side of the world, you could stop first in Penang and get a single/multiple entry non-O for having thai family.

You got the re-entry permit....but the way you planned your trip...it was/is easier IMO to just get a new non-o (single/multiple entry). No, you cant get the 1000 baht re-entry permit fee back; just chalk it up to experience. Then you would have 90 days to consider if you want to do a 1 year extension or border run to stay in country.

Edited by 4evermaat

OK, thanks for the responses, info, and advice everybody.

UbonJoe, a 60 day extension would be great to get my things sorted out. Do you know what I need to do this?

From my last post. Your son would need to be with you when you apply. You will need their birth certificate plus a copy and a copy of their house book registry.

you should be able to get 1 year extension (report every 90 days, but don't need to leave country) at local immigration office with your O visa.

that's what I do on Samui

It is not as simple as you imply.

Why not explain to the OP what paperwork ect you had to supply to get the one year extension?

• Like 1

I've extended my "retirement " O visa at the local immigration office in Nathon, Koh Samui, 3 times in the last 3 years already. 1900 baht. Plus extra fee for single or multiple re-entry permits. No need to leave the country, but you need to report every 90 days. Simple, fast and efficient. The staff recognize me already, and I joke around with them in Thai.

Assuming you are retired, over 50 years old, have pension or other income or meet savings requirements (800,000 baht), all you need to show the immigration officer is a letter from your bank and your updated bank statement that proves your income/savings, along with your passport that has the O visa from the embassy. Be polite and dress appropriately for a visit to a government office.

I am not familiar with other categories of non-resident O visas.

I've extended my "retirement " O visa at the local immigration office in Nathon, Koh Samui, 3 times in the last 3 years already. 1900 baht. Plus extra fee for single or multiple re-entry permits. No need to leave the country, but you need to report every 90 days. Simple, fast and efficient. The staff recognize me already, and I joke around with them in Thai.

Assuming you are retired, over 50 years old, have pension or other income or meet savings requirements (800,000 baht), all you need to show the immigration officer is a letter from your bank and your updated bank statement that proves your income/savings, along with your passport that has the O visa from the embassy. Be polite and dress appropriately for a visit to a government office.

I am not familiar with other categories of non-resident O visas.

This is off topic and has nothing to do with the question from the OP.

Please read the responce from Ubanjoe.

Now, go have a other beer and be queit!