Good News For Thai Non-imm O Visa Holders

hi,

am wondering if this would apply to my situation. I'm 51 and supporting a Thai defacto and our child. I got a single entry 3 month non O from Penang for the first time which will expire on the 20th of next month. any chance I could get an extension without having to prove an income of 40k or more or to have 400k in the bank? much appreciated if you could provide some info on this.

If you are the father on the birth certificate, yes you can get the extension of stay, if you are over 50 years old based on 7.17 (5)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over fifty, if father of a Thai child as I understand it.

Sunbelt ?

Correct based on 7.17 (5) of the National Police Office Order No. 606/2006

If married with Thai child, then you should not apply under 7.17 (6), if you are over 50 years old.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks. Always a chance I could be wrong but not Maestro.

Wasn't doubting either of you just I had never heard of this.

Sunbelt can I swith from marriage extension to support of Thai child? Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.. :o

Over fifty, if father of a Thai child as I understand it.

Sunbelt ?

If married with Thai child, then you should not apply under 7.17 (6), if you are over 50 years old.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I am impressed! You really know the Thai immigration law.

am wondering if this would apply to my situation. I'm 51 and supporting a Thai defacto and our child.

Lenn2000, and also nuu hope, if you have not yet seen form TM.7 for application of extension of stay, look at it here. If you print it from here for your application, be sure to print both pages on one sheet of paper, two-sided. Most immigration offices will accept this downloaded form.

Now go and read paragraph 7.17, clause (5) of the Police Order 606/2006. There are two English translations on the Internet. One, which I consider to be the better of the two, is by Sunbelt and downloadable here, the other is on the website of the Immigration Bureau.

If you choose to apply under 7.17(5), remember what Sunbelt said: forget about your wife, forget about your marriage certificate and your wife’s ID. And forget about “support”. You are not applying to support your Thai child, but to live with your Thai child. For all anybody cares, your child could be 30 years old, earning a good salary and be supporting you. All you need is a document to prove your relationship with your Thai child, i.e. the child’s birth certificate indicating you as the father and perhaps also proof of the child’s Thai nationality, i.e. Thai passport or Thai ID card. Bring these, and if immigration wants anything else they will tell you (perhaps house registration, I don’t know, have not yet done this type of extension)

Now go back to the form TM.7 and look at the bottom of page 1, where there is the field “Reason(s) for extension”. What do your write here? There’s plenty of space here, so write enough to make it clear in what capacity you apply. For my application, I plan to write “To live with my Thai child, in accordance with paragraph 7.17, clause 5 of the Order of the Royal Thai Police Headquarters No. 606/2549”. (Note that here I use the title as used in the English translation on the website of the Immigration Bureau. When dealing with government offices, use their own language, in order to avoid confusion)

---------------

Maestro

Edited by maestro

am wondering if this would apply to my situation. I'm 51 and supporting a Thai defacto and our child.

Lenn2000, and also nuu hope, if you have not yet seen form TM.7 for application of extension of stay, look at it here. If you print it from here for your application, be sure to print both pages on one sheet of paper, two-sided. Most immigration offices will accept this downloaded form.

Now go and read paragraph 7.17, clause (5) of the Police Order 606/2006. There are two English translations on the Internet. One, which I consider to be the better of the two, is by Sunbelt and downloadable here, the other is on the website of the Immigration Bureau.

If you choose to apply under 7.17(5), remember what Sunbelt said: forget about your wife, forget about your marriage certificate and your wife’s ID. And forget about “support”. You are not applying to support your Thai child, but to live with your Thai child. For all anybody cares, your child could be 30 years old, earning a good salary and be supporting you. All you need is a document to prove your relationship with your Thai child, i.e. the child’s birth certificate indicating you as the father and perhaps also proof of the child’s Thai nationality, i.e. Thai passport or Thai ID card. Bring these, and if immigration wants anything else they will tell you (perhaps house registration, I don’t know, have not yet done this type of extension)

Now go back to the form TM.7 and look at the bottom of page 1, where there is the field “Reason(s) for extension”. What do your write here? There’s plenty of space here, so write enough to make it clear in what capacity you apply. For my application, I plan to write “To live with my Thai child, in accordance with paragraph 7.17, clause 5 of the Order of the Royal Thai Police Headquarters No. 606/2549”. (Note that here I use the title as used in the English translation on the website of the Immigration Bureau. When dealing with government offices, use their own language, in order to avoid confusion)

---------------

Maestro

Hi There,

Thanks a bunch for this info. Maestro and Sunbelt. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

nuu_hope

Sunbelt can I swith from marriage extension to support of Thai child? Is this possible?

Yes

I am impressed! You really know the Thai immigration law.

Thank you.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I to would like to offer my sincere thanks to you for bringing this to the fore.

I once queried the fact that i had a Thai Farang daughter and asked if i could still apply fo an O residents 1 year visa if my wife was deceased.

Is this issued without referring to Bangkok for approval every year as you can with 800,000 in the bank as a further question, please

She has a heart condition so i am always concerned about " what if " but hopefully it will not come to this with the ongoing treatment she is getting.

Anyway the officer said he didn,t know and i would have to get an interview if the situation changes as the circumstances of granting the visa would change anyway.

I have always put Thai family to support on the application in the reasons why section by the way.

Thanks again fo many of us, i,m sure Sunbelt

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

I to would like to offer my sincere thanks to you for bringing this to the fore.

I once queried the fact that i had a Thai Farang daughter and asked if i could still apply fo an O residents 1 year visa if my wife was deceased.

Is this issued without referring to Bangkok for approval every year as you can with 800,000 in the bank as a further question, please

She has a heart condition so i am always concerned about " what if " but hopefully it will not come to this with the ongoing treatment she is getting.

Anyway the officer said he didn,t know and i would have to get an interview if the situation changes as the circumstances of granting the visa would change anyway.

I have always put Thai family to support on the application in the reasons why section by the way.

Thanks again fo many of us, i,m sure Sunbelt

marshbags :o:D:D

Marshbags,

You are welcome.

As to the immigration upcountry needing Bkk Immigration approval. They may need it as they understand the new regulations more clearly. By next year, it should not be a problem.

Best of luck to your wife and her treatment.

Happy Holidays!

Regards,

Greg

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

---------------

Maestro

Hi,

Many many thanks to you and Sunbelt for this. hopefully no more sleepless nights worrying about this and I'll be able to stay with my family.

cheers

Many many thanks to you and Sunbelt for this. hopefully no more sleepless nights worrying about this and I'll be able to stay with my family.

cheers

Lenn2005,

Our staff and I are happy to help. Thanks for letting us know, we did. Much appreciated.

Any problems, please don't hesitate to call us.

Happy Holidays to your family and you.

Kind Regards,

Greg

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

---------------

Maestro

hello Meastro,

Just got one more question regarding what to write here. " I wish to apply for an extension of temporary stay for another period of..........days."

my single entry visa expires on the 20th of next month but I'm going to try to get this extension next week just in case things go wrong.

thanks and cheers

Len

As I am 60 years of age with a Thai child and not much money, this thread contains great news for me. Thanks to you folks for discussing it and providing information and the PDFs of the regulations.

My first question/fear, I find answered on another thread:

What if the foreign father meets both criteria:

(5) over 50 years old

(6) and married to Thai wife?

Does he, if a new applicant, have to show proof of family income of minimum 40K?

- Maestro

ANSWER:

No as long as he does not apply under 7.17(6) but 7.17(5)

- www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

---------------

So that's good. I still have a question about my particular circumstance.

I have just a 30-day entry permit now. I have papers from a gov't university offering me a job I want and I am supposed to get a non-immigrant visa with them when my renewed American passport is ready soon, in Vientiane.

(I'm wondering if I can, and if I should, try for a non-"O" instead? Any difference or advantage at this stage? The university has already said an "O" would be O.K. too, but they are demonstrating their incompetence at every stage.)

As long as everything goes swimmingly with the university (and I hope it does), I suppose I can buy my work permit and extensions on this track. But should we part company...

Could a non-B be extended under 7.17(5) after an employer cancels a work permit? I understand that as long as I'm working in Thailand, I need a work permit. I've had work permits with both non-B and non-O in the past, but when a job ended I had only a week to go to immigration and start living in a bureaucratic nightmare. If this option was available then, I never heard about it. Jeze, what a relief it would have been, "Here's a one-year extension to stay with your child. Come back and check with us then."

Thanks so much for any more light you can throw on this.

--------

From my notes, if people with different circumstances are interested:

ALSO SEE 7.23 VISITING Thai child – 60 days

ALSO SEE Under section 7.23 you can get a exension of stay to visit your Thai wife in Thailand for 60 days at a time with no financial proof required.

The links to download the regulations as PDF files are above in other comments.

As I am 60 years of age with a Thai child and not much money, this thread contains great news for me. I have just a 30-day entry permit now. I have papers from a gov't university offering me a job I want and I am supposed to get a non-immigrant visa with them when my renewed American passport is ready soon, in Vientiane.

Get a non-O visa as soon as you can and then an annual extension based on 7.17(5). This will allow you to apply for a work permit. Once you get your employment sorted out, you do not have to get a new non-immigrant visa.

Non-O status based on 7.17(5) has two advantages for you:

1. You prospective employer only has to be concerned abut your work permit. You already have your non-immigrant status.

2. When your employment ends, your extended permission to stay remains valid.

---------------

Maestro

I have just a 30-day entry permit now. I have papers from a gov't university offering me a job I want and I am supposed to get a non-immigrant visa with them when my renewed American passport is ready soon, in Vientiane.

(I'm wondering if I can, and if I should, try for a non-"O" instead? Any difference or advantage at this stage? The university has already said an "O" would be O.K. too, but they are demonstrating their incompetence at every stage.)

It does not matter if you get a "O" or a "B," you can do the extension based on having a Thai child and being over 50 years old.

However it will be much easier getting a "O" at a Embassy than a "B"

As long as everything goes swimmingly with the university (and I hope it does), I suppose I can buy my work permit and extensions on this track. But should we part company...

You still can work for this company even with a "O" visa or extension of stay based on having a Thai child.

Could a non-B be extended under 7.17(5) after an employer cancels a work permit?

Yes

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

...my Daughters Birth certificate...

You didn’t mention your age, but if you are over 50 years old, you should be able to get an annual extension without having to show proof of income or money in the bank.

---------------

Maestro

Thanks for the quick response guys,

I'm 52 yeras old. What do I need and where do I go to get this one year extension based on my age? Is it a retirement visa?

I am 55 supporting a Thai wife (no children) have not applied for an extension to my non imm 'O'' visa before and do not have 40k per month coming into my Thai bank but have over 800k in it. Can I get a retirement visa if so what do I need to do?

You need a record of the 800k in bank 3 months, letter from bank verifying bank balance, passport, arrival card, TM.7 filled out, and 1,900 baht for the fee. You present yourself at an immigration office and should receive the same day. Some offices are also asking for a medical certificate which you can obtain from a clinic or hospital for between 50-500 baht but do not believe it should still be required.

I've just relocated to Singapore from BKK due to change of employment. I'd had extension of stay on my non-imm "B" / work permit for about 4 1/2 yrs. I was a little nervous at Suvarnabhumi last Sunday as I was a few days past the 7 days grace period you're given to leave the country after visa / WP cancelled. Needn't have been, was stamped out without a question, and no mark made in passport. Have today picked up my passport from Thai consulate Singapore. 12mth, multiple entry non-imm "O" visa granted no problem (of course, I no longer need annual extension which appears to be more difficult to get?). System seemed efficient enough - all that was required was passport, and signed copies of marriage cert and Mrs CC's ID card, plus fee of S$220. 24 hr processing time.

Hope this is helpful.

CC

Edited by Captain Chaos

You need a record of the 800k in bank 3 months, letter from bank verifying bank balance, passport, arrival card, TM.7 filled out, and 1,900 baht for the fee. You present yourself at an immigration office and should receive the same day. Some offices are also asking for a medical certificate which you can obtain from a clinic or hospital for between 50-500 baht but do not believe it should still be required.

Thanks lopburi3

Is the bank passbook enough record or do I still need a letter from the bank stating the money has been in the bank for 3 months. I presumably also need proof money came from outside Thailand. Where do I get a TM7 form? Do I need marriage cert or not neccessary for retirement visa?

The letter from bank normally only indicates the current account balance (should match passbook and be within the week). Not sure what they will require for the 3 month rule (or even if there is a fixed rule yet - but I would just try passbook proof first). Do not believe any source of funds is normally asked for but if you do wire transfers they normally have a key in passbook to show from overseas. Marriage certificate is not required but you may be asked if married. On a change from marriage to retirement the wife has to also sign off but understand this is not required for direct applications. The TM.7 can be downloaded from this web site or from immigration web site (print front/back of one A4 sheet of paper, sign and attach 4x6cm photo). Be aware some upcountry sites have there own version of the TM.7 (office name on it I guess) and might ask you use it - only takes five minutes to transfer the information/photo if that happens.

The letter from bank normally only indicates the current account balance (should match passbook and be within the week). Not sure what they will require for the 3 month rule (or even if there is a fixed rule yet - but I would just try passbook proof first). Do not believe any source of funds is normally asked for but if you do wire transfers they normally have a key in passbook to show from overseas. Marriage certificate is not required but you may be asked if married. On a change from marriage to retirement the wife has to also sign off but understand this is not required for direct applications. The TM.7 can be downloaded from this web site or from immigration web site (print front/back of one A4 sheet of paper, sign and attach 4x6cm photo). Be aware some upcountry sites have there own version of the TM.7 (office name on it I guess) and might ask you use it - only takes five minutes to transfer the information/photo if that happens.

I've read that one also needs a letter from the Embassy stating I wish to retire in Thailand, is that really neccessary?

I've downloaded the TM.7 form but my computer doesn't support Thai text and it comes ot as ????????????. Is there anywhere I can get a PDF version?

If you have XP you might want to add Thai. If not it only takes five minutes to fill out while you are at immigration (they will have the forms). Or you could use an internet shop to download/fill out/print.

Believe the Embassy letter is only required when you use income/pension money.

...TM.7 ...anywhere I can get a PDF version?

I remember attaching it once to post as a PDF for someone else, and here is the link. Look at it to get an idea what it is, but then for the application perhaps better use the form available at the immigration office.

--------------

Maestro

...TM.7 ...anywhere I can get a PDF version?

I remember attaching it once to post as a PDF for someone else, and here is the link. Look at it to get an idea what it is, but then for the application perhaps better use the form available at the immigration office.

--------------

Maestro

Thanks Maestro.

Although the TM 7 form says 'for temporary extension of stay' presumably I put 'retirement' in the 'reason for extension' section? I suppose I have to go to BKK immigration to apply as there's not one in Nakhon Sawan.

I am into about 50th day of my first 90 day period on multiple entry non-imm-O visa and would normally go to Mae Sot on Dec 20 for my 90 day visa run, does it matter when I apply for retirement visa and does it give me a whole new year's visa from application date or from the end of the original non-imm-O.

I go back to the UK for a couple of months in May 07 so presumably best to get a single enrty visa application then?

Believe they are willing to do retirement extensions any time you have the paperwork ready but would normally advise during last 30 days of a 90 day stay (as has been required for marriage extensions).

The extension will be from the date of your last entry into Thailand - so a little over nine months the first time. Each further extension will be until the same date (one year+ the days early that you apply).

It would be best for you to apply in Bangkok I believe. And a single re entry permit would be advised to take care of your trip.

The first application is also your first 90 day address report so the next, on a form TM.47, will be due 90 days later. You can pick up form and mailing instructions while at Immigration or do on internet.

---------------

Maestro

Hi There,

Thanks a bunch for this info. Maestro and Sunbelt. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

nuu_hope

Hello maestro and Sunbelt,

I had applied at the Chiang Mai immigration with the above instruction exactly. The reply was these...

1) There is more to this page. refering to the book.You must show money in the bank.

2) Where is your wife?

3) You need a certified letter from your wife saying that she is letting you take care of your 3 year old daughter.

4) we need a divorce certificate from your wife.

A mass confusion within the head officer and 3 other lady officer trying to read their version of the

law book. I was asked to produce the above or apply for only 60 days which does not require any money in the bank.

At this point, I decided not to pursue getting a non "O" in Thailand. I left and went to Sing where I was treated with respect and dignity. I only handed them a copy of my marriage and My daughters Birth Certificate. The nice lady asked me if I want a multiple? My reply was yes. I came back at 2:00 pm the following day and got my Non"O" visa. What a relief that was.

Cheers!!! and thanks for the help

nuu_hope

I had applied at the Chiang Mai immigration with the above instruction exactly. The reply was these...

1) There is more to this page. refering to the book.You must show money in the bank.

2) Where is your wife?

3) You need a certified letter from your wife saying that she is letting you take care of your 3 year old daughter.

Sorry to hear about the refusal you got. What an unpleasant experience that must have been.

You, over 50 years old and father of a Thai child, applied at Chiang Mai immigration office for an annual extension under Police order No. 606/2006, paragraph 7.17, clause (5) and were refused.

Last Friday, Sunbelt reported that they successfully got such extension for a client of theirs, presumably in Bangkok.

Your post is one of several in a series since October 1st indicating that the Chiang Mai officials are mighty confused. But who are you, who would I be, to argue with them that they do not know their own rules correctly! I cannot understand why, if the chief officer is uncertain, he does not simply pick up the phone to call the Bangkok head office for clarification. Face, probably.

As for me, I shall arrive in Bangkok at the end of November with a single-entry non-O, which means that in early February I shall apply for my extension under 7.17(5). If they refuse me, I plan to tell them that I have difficulty understanding the rules and would they kindly give me a photocopy of the rule, in Thai, that says I do not qualify under 7.17(5) so that I may ask a lawyer friend of mine to explain it to me clearly, and then I would employ Sunbelt to do my application this first time.

On your part, you are now OK for a year or close to 15 months, except that you have to do your border runs every 90 days. Let’s hope that in the meantime the Chiang Mai immigration office will get sorted out, but for all we know the rules may change again and they will have something new to be confused about.

---------------

Maestro

2) Where is your wife?

Sorry to hear about the refusal you got. What an unpleasant experience that must have been.

You, over 50 years old and father of a Thai child, applied at Chiang Mai immigration office for an annual extension under Police order No. 606/2006, paragraph 7.17, clause (5) and were refused.

Last Friday, Sunbelt reported that they successfully got such extension for a client of theirs, presumably in Bangkok.

Your post is one of several in a series since October 1st indicating that the Chiang Mai officials are mighty confused. But who are you, who would I be, to argue with them that they do not know their own rules correctly! I cannot understand why, if the chief officer is uncertain, he does not simply pick up the phone to call the Bangkok head office for clarification. Face, probably.

As for me, I shall arrive in Bangkok at the end of November with a single-entry non-O, which means that in early February I shall apply for my extension under 7.17(5). If they refuse me, I plan to tell them that I have difficulty understanding the rules and would they kindly give me a photocopy of the rule, in Thai, that says I do not qualify under 7.17(5) so that I may ask a lawyer friend of mine to explain it to me clearly, and then I would employ Sunbelt to do my application this first time.

On your part, you are now OK for a year or close to 15 months, except that you have to do your border runs every 90 days. Let’s hope that in the meantime the Chiang Mai immigration office will get sorted out, but for all we know the rules may change again and they will have something new to be confused about.

---------------

Maestro

Maestro or Sunbelt,

Could I use this visa that I currently obtained to apply for an extension in BKK and not provide a proof of income at this point? This way I do not have to make the border run every 90 days...

Thanks in advance,

nuu_hope