Scam, rip off by a Doctor in Isaan, Sawang Den Ding

ALFREDO

Coming back from a short weekend meeting with friends in Bangkok, my Thai GF complained in the plane from nose pain. Difficult breathing and smelling, on one side.

She had that since some time and after looking at it and in Internet I tipped already, she just had,

a nasal polyp. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_polyp

But a bit Thai-women style, the problem had to be seen by a Doctor right now, also we landed late afternoon in Udon Thani.

So, a hefty discussion in the car as I thought next day would be good enough to go to a Doctor, we could sleep in Udon. Not right for her.

It had to be now,

so she went into AEK Udon Thani, only to come out short later, the Doctor who is looking such problems is gone already, she shall come next day. rolleyes.gif

Next days nothing happened no fast Doctor visits necessary.

wink.png We live 65 km from Udon city more near to Sawang Den Ding-Sakhon Nakhon Province.

Until, she wanted to go NOW! again, good.

Also she could have visited the small Amphoe Hospital nearly for free,

she wanted to go to a other Doctor, a place in Sawang Den Ding was announced to her,

I was very ok with that, so I could, later drive on to the French Thai Meat farm near Sakhon Nakhon city and buy things.thumbsup.gif

One of the possible places in Sawang Den Ding was open.

As we had some more discussions in the car on the way, I waited in the car with our children, when she should check out the waiting time in the small clinic, doctors ordination.

Short later I went in to and was sitting with her, the place was nearly empty except from some personal.

Only one other patient with his family got a for all hearable explanation of his status.

My GF was called and I could see short later that they took blood samples of her.

She came than to me and explained the Doctor had asked her if she not want to check
"All" without more Information. She had said OK, if The Doctor thought that was necessary and better.

I asked, what "All" meant, as she was already called to various X-rays, from body and head.

And, if she had asked what that "All" would cost?

As we have troubling times and many discussions in the moment she complained,

I would not care for her well beeing and would be good when she got a good check!

The outcome, the Doctor checked all from Syphilis to HIV and and and intestines with X-ray and a head scan, 18000 Baht bill including 4.000 Baht for a big pack of 2 different pills. (Antibiotic?)

I was so shocked and paralyzed mentally, I went to a ATM and gave my GF what she had not in her pocket.

Yes GF said yes and did not ask question to the BIG older Doctor, but that was what the older guy was hoping for, in my opinion! whistling.gif

Some minutes later I felt bad, that I paid so easy.

Now to late I think from many things, including pay back the favor. bah.gif

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the g/f agreed to what was proposed what are you complaining about ?

The only "Scam" is the one you have invented.

Will you be posting a scan of the itemised invoice for this alleged 18k bill ?

Learn to speak Thai then you might understand what the g/f was trying to tell you.

NB

Are "small clinics" equipped with X-Ray machines and CT scanners in Nakon Nowhere ?

Coming back from a short weekend meeting with friends in Bangkok, my Thai GF complained in the plane from nose pain. Difficult breathing and smelling, on one side.

She had that since some time and after looking at it and in Internet I tipped already, she just had,

a nasal polyp. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_polyp

But a bit Thai-women style, the problem had to be seen by a Doctor right now, also we landed late afternoon in Udon Thani.

So, a hefty discussion in the car as I thought next day would be good enough to go to a Doctor, we could sleep in Udon. Not right for her.

It had to be now,

so she went into AEK Udon Thani, only to come out short later, the Doctor who is looking such problems is gone already, she shall come next day. rolleyes.gif

Next days nothing happened no fast Doctor visits necessary.

wink.png We live 65 km from Udon city more near to Sawang Den Ding-Sakhon Nakhon Province.

Until, she wanted to go NOW! again, good.

Also she could have visited the small Amphoe Hospital nearly for free,

she wanted to go to a other Doctor, a place in Sawang Den Ding was announced to her,

I was very ok with that, so I could, later drive on to the French Thai Meat farm near Sakhon Nakhon city and buy things.thumbsup.gif

One of the possible places in Sawang Den Ding was open.

As we had some more discussions in the car on the way, I waited in the car with our children, when she should check out the waiting time in the small clinic, doctors ordination.

Short later I went in to and was sitting with her, the place was nearly empty except from some personal.

Only one other patient with his family got a for all hearable explanation of his status.

My GF was called and I could see short later that they took blood samples of her.

She came than to me and explained the Doctor had asked her if she not want to check

"All" without more Information. She had said OK, if The Doctor thought that was necessary and better.

I asked, what "All" meant, as she was already called to various X-rays, from body and head.

And, if she had asked what that "All" would cost?

As we have troubling times and many discussions in the moment she complained,

I would not care for her well beeing and would be good when she got a good check!

The outcome, the Doctor checked all from Syphilis to HIV and and and intestines with X-ray and a head scan, 18000 Baht bill including 4.000 Baht for a big pack of 2 different pills. (Antibiotic?)

I was so shocked and paralyzed mentally, I went to a ATM and gave my GF what she had not in her pocket.

Yes GF said yes and did not ask question to the BIG older Doctor, but that was what the older guy was hoping for, in my opinion! whistling.gif

Some minutes later I felt bad, that I paid so easy.

Now to late I think from many things, including pay back the favor. bah.gif

karma, should have gone to a docter earlier and not when it suited you and were to lazy to get out of the car in the first place

Sorry OP, but I would say the bill was 4k, the rest was for the GF.

Why the urgency on her part, then a high sting for money, seems very odd.

A CT/Brain scan in Thailand, in the sticks, at short notice ? I doubt it.

Think you were taken for a ride mate.sad.png

OP time for a change.

New girlfriend needed, she has spouted a load of rubbish, and you bought it.

Ask to see the bill. Ohh sorry darling i left it at the doctors.

One consulation for you mate, you are not the first, been conned by ex just the same.

The problem is not the doctor. It's your "GF".

+1, or more accurately a bit of both, began with her and the doctor went along (assuming she did in fact get all the tests she told you -- worth verifying this by asking to see the test result reports, they will be in English). .

Sounds like she is wanting you to pay a lot of money for unnecessary health checks as a way of "proving" you care about her. I sense some issues in the relationship. Either that or she is just scamming you altogether and this was just a way of getting money- have you seen an itemized bill?

Most small private clinics cannot even do blood work and Xrays, let alone more expensive scans.

I always leave Thai people to sort their own medical problems, on their own, using their own money.

It isn't my business, they don't listen to my advice, let them sort it out on their own.

They have free medical and cheap clinics.

I don't.

If you hadn't been there, you wouldn't have been asked to pay.

Not to mention there's always the risk the gf conspired with the doctor to scam you.

(bill him 18k and we'll split 50/50, some girls are really crafty with the various bill splitting scams)

Never put money in the outstretched hand, pay all invoices, properly itemized, to the billing company by yourself.

I'm sure this wasn't the case with you, but I don't like to think such thoughts, so better I'm never involved.

Edited by BritManToo

And I thought I was the "Ultimate cynic"..... Everyone is spot on here ref the GF....

One thing many foreigners struggle to develop here is a tough outer shell or Rhino skin.

I learnt quickly that the more questions you ask and the less logic you get back means one thing...They are at it... and they insult my intelligence by thinking they can rip me off...

Time for a swift kick in the posterier out the door for her.

It's so sad the OP mentioned that he was waiting in the car with their children while she was in the hospital seeing the doctor. That would imply their relationship is long-standing and, sadly, children are involved. He can't just kick her to the curb.

He should be better educated about what medical services are available at local hospitals. As mentioned, it's nearly impossible to rack up a bill for 18,000 baht in a small hospital that's not equipped with anything more than an x-ray machine.

Learn to speak Thai then you might understand what the g/f was trying to tell you.

NB

Are "small clinics" equipped with X-Ray machines and CT scanners in Nakon Nowhere ?

its not ethical to check "all"

part of being a doctor is doing a diagnosis and checking for what is needed, not just giving tests for anything and everything because you have know idea what your doing.

smells like a scam to just bill as much as possible. i requested such testing back in the usa out of paranoia and they would not even do it when i requested it. only what is necessary.

had an accident once long time ago, went to the clinic woth gf, and got signed for as a thai through the 30 baht medical, so it can work both ways :)

Edited by fey

NB

part of being a doctor is doing a diagnosis and checking for what is needed, not just giving tests for anything and everything because you have know idea what your doing.

smells like a scam to just bill as much as possible. i requested such testing back in the usa out of paranoia and they would not even do it when i requested it. only what is necessary.

had an accident once long time ago, went to the clinic woth gf, and got signed for as a thai through the 30 baht medical, so it can work both ways smile.png

We await the scan of the itemised bill being posted.

Pointless jumping to conclusions and being judgmental until we know, as evidenced by the bill, what "all" actually was................

Not sure how or why you could be with such an unreseasonable partner.

Did they X-Ray her handbag to see if the jar with your testicles was in there?

Go to their website and see the cost of their different check-up packages. I'm in my 30's and typically get one each year. 3-10k baht usually depending (in Bkk).

NB

She is complaining too!

https://www.facebook.com/boonta.detsakul?fref=nf&pnref=story

535250_1737471523152153_3524139259102311

I do not have to learn Thai, the Doctor spoke well english also.

And my GF since 14 years too!

As I have a lot of X-Rays now - yes some clinics are equipped with such things. ;-)

Also as I saw later the Doctor had a BIG Menue on the wall with all the costs of his offers - of testing.

That to show you later if you like to complain! tongue.pngblink.png

OP you been on the lao-kao?

NO, I do not drink.

You are long enough in Thailand to know what can happen here.

Afterwards the GF was completely devastated about the presented bill and the high sum!

So, she was not aware what she agreed to.

TIT sad.pngblink.png

Sorry OP, but I would say the bill was 4k, the rest was for the GF.

Why the urgency on her part, then a high sting for money, seems very odd.

A CT/Brain scan in Thailand, in the sticks, at short notice ? I doubt it.

Think you were taken for a ride mate.sad.png

NO,

14 years and 3 children together tell me, she is still a small village Isaan woman without much knowledge.

sad.png

OP time for a change.

New girlfriend needed, she has spouted a load of rubbish, and you bought it.

Ask to see the bill. Ohh sorry darling i left it at the doctors.

One consulation for you mate, you are not the first, been conned by ex just the same.

I was there - have the bill - no sharing with Doctor - all for him alone.

She is with me to long 14 years to start such a show - we have our problems - but that was a rip off by a Doctor who saw the chance to do it! bah.gif

The problem is not the doctor. It's your "GF".

+1, or more accurately a bit of both, began with her and the doctor went along (assuming she did in fact get all the tests she told you -- worth verifying this by asking to see the test result reports, they will be in English). .

Sounds like she is wanting you to pay a lot of money for unnecessary health checks as a way of "proving" you care about her. I sense some issues in the relationship. Either that or she is just scamming you altogether and this was just a way of getting money- have you seen an itemized bill?

Most small private clinics cannot even do blood work and Xrays, let alone more expensive scans.

I saw all, have all, got all information from The DOCTOR in English spoken too me,

that is possible true = "she is wanting you to pay a lot of money for unnecessary health checks as a way of "proving" you care about her. I sense some issues in the relationship."

Only - after that hefty bill came she was shocked too and sorry! whistling.gif blink.png

I always leave Thai people to sort their own medical problems, on their own, using their own money.

It isn't my business, they don't listen to my advice, let them sort it out on their own.

They have free medical and cheap clinics.

I don't.

If you hadn't been there, you wouldn't have been asked to pay.

Not to mention there's always the risk the gf conspired with the doctor to scam you.

(bill him 18k and we'll split 50/50, some girls are really crafty with the various bill splitting scams)

Never put money in the outstretched hand, pay all invoices, properly itemized, to the billing company by yourself.

I'm sure this wasn't the case with you, but I don't like to think such thoughts, so better I'm never involved.

Good advices, but she cannot drive our family car and for whatever reason she did not want to go to her FREE clinic, she is woman with a Falang BF since 14 years and has 3 children with him = me.

So she deserves better, in her eye?

So. whatever a bad day. sad.png

And I thought I was the "Ultimate cynic"..... Everyone is spot on here ref the GF....

One thing many foreigners struggle to develop here is a tough outer shell or Rhino skin.

I learnt quickly that the more questions you ask and the less logic you get back means one thing...They are at it... and they insult my intelligence by thinking they can rip me off...

Time for a swift kick in the posterier out the door for her.

What do I do with the 3 children I have with her in the last 14 years relationship?

The youngest just 1,5 years young. sad.png

It's so sad the OP mentioned that he was waiting in the car with their children while she was in the hospital seeing the doctor. That would imply their relationship is long-standing and, sadly, children are involved. He can't just kick her to the curb.

He should be better educated about what medical services are available at local hospitals. As mentioned, it's nearly impossible to rack up a bill for 18,000 baht in a small hospital that's not equipped with anything more than an x-ray machine.

I living in Isaan since 2002, I know the cheap possibilities of small Amphoe clinics, but what can you do if a woman wants it differently.sad.png

My GF and I had been both surprised what that Doctor guy had in his small clinic and now I know how he finances that all! blink.png

NB

had an accident once long time ago, went to the clinic woth gf, and got signed for as a thai through the 30 baht medical, so it can work both ways smile.png

Thank you, at least, you are seeing the story same me.thumbsup.gif

YES,

my very long time 14 years, GF was Ting Tong to not ask more questions, important also the cost question, but she was just intimidated.

She said later,

"I thought, when the Doctor thought it's better to look all, it will be the right thing,

he is the Doctor should know, also, I thought "All" will be all from head, not from whole body and when I asked the nurse why I got so many X-Rays also of other body parts,

the nurse said, because the Doctor ordered that."

She got all kind of tests, pregnancy test, ect too. blink.png