Fruit vendor arrested for cheating a customer by selling adulterated durian jam

webfact

Fruit vendor arrested for cheating a customer by selling adulterated durian jam

2803003-wpcf_728x409.jpg

CHANTABURI: -- A fruit vendor in Chanthaburi is facing a maximum 5-year jailterm and a fine of up to 10,000 baht after she was arrested on charge of selling adulterated durian jam to a tourist.

The suspect, 42-year old Ms Kalyarat Rampoengpuak, was arrested on Sunday after a police officer of Nayai-arm district police station, posed as a customer to buy a pack of durian jam from her at 100 baht. When the durian jam was sliced open, it was discovered that the jam inside was outdated which was different from the Mon Thong durian jam which was put on display.

Ms Klayarat’s arrest followed the complaint accompanied by a video clip posted in the social media by a tourist who claimed to have bought several packs of Mon Thong durian jam from her at 100 baht each. However, it was discovered later on that the packs were stuffed with outdated durian jam which is of lower quality.

The clip went viral in the social media prompting Chanthaburi governor Somsak Parisuttho Hemthanot to call a meeting on Monday with the provincial police, commerce and agriculture officials to discuss the problem.

It was agreed at the meeting that all about 240 fruit vendors in Chanthaburi would be summoned for a meeting at the provincial hall in order to be reminded of the need to practice fair trading and to refrain from cheating their customers by selling substandard fruits or preserved fruits especially durians to tourists.

Fruit vendor arrested for cheating a customer by selling adulterated durian jam http://goo.gl/j9733p A fruit vendor in Chanthaburi is facing a maximum 5-year jailterm and a fine of up to 10,000 baht after she was arrested on charge of selling adulterated durian jam to a tourist.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/157193

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-29

"When the durian jam was sliced open, it was discovered that the jam inside was outdated which was different from the Mon Thong durian jam which was put on display."

How do you determine that the jam is outdated by slicing it open?

If it were simply a color difference, it should be obvious through the clear plastic. Not clear, as usual, what is meant here.

Oh the horrors and the shame, how can a fruit vendor cheat people? unheard of practice, where can we

burry or faces now? yeah well, actually, I'm pleasantly surprise every time I buy something and I HAVEN'T

BEEN CHEATED.......

Yesterday on the market i wanted to buy fresh coconutmilk. I noticed a huge large netbag with wide openings standing on the dirty marketfloor, it was filled with dehusked coconuts who were going into that machine to become milk bah.gif

I ordered a kg of rambutans and noticed the lady filled the bag with rambutans she kept on the side, not on the pile. I grabbed one and it was rotting..

Then i wanted to walk around but noticed many electric cables laying around in puddles of water. facepalm.gif

In the meantime i had to duck all the time to not get umbrellapins stucking my eyeballs out. (i'm tall).

Sometimes i put things on my kitchenscale to see if i really got a kg. Most of the time i got 900 gram.

But i like it that undercover policeagents test vendors for me, i've been waiting for this a long time! I hope it helps.

.....why not state the condition of the 'jam' accurately....

....spoiled.....rotten.....putrid....

....as for the disproportionate punishment....please tell us if she even spends a day....and pays anything more than a 500 baht fine....

''A fruit vendor in Chanthaburi is facing a maximum 5-year jail term and a fine of up to 10,000 baht after she was arrested on charge of selling adulterated durian jam to a tourist.' Not exactly adulterated, given it did, apparently, contain 100% jam. And the penalties go to show just how topsy-turvy the system is, when a scamming taxi driver will likely get away with 500 baht - if anything - any number of downright stupid and dangerous road rule infractions will result in a slap on the wrist, yet this potentially incurs 10,000 baht and five years.

'... a tourist who claimed to have bought several packs of Mon Thong durian jam from her at 100 baht each. However, it was discovered later on that the packs were stuffed with outdated durian jam which is of lower quality.' Presumably, any edible consumable past its sell-by date would be of lower quality - though the rules might be different with durian.

''A fruit vendor in Chanthaburi is facing a maximum 5-year jail term and a fine of up to 10,000 baht after she was arrested on charge of selling adulterated durian jam to a tourist.' Not exactly adulterated, given it did, apparently, contain 100% jam. And the penalties go to show just how topsy-turvy the system is, when a scamming taxi driver will likely get away with 500 baht - if anything - any number of downright stupid and dangerous road rule infractions will result in a slap on the wrist, yet this potentially incurs 10,000 baht and five years.

'... a tourist who claimed to have bought several packs of Mon Thong durian jam from her at 100 baht each. However, it was discovered later on that the packs were stuffed with outdated durian jam which is of lower quality.' Presumably, any edible consumable past its sell-by date would be of lower quality - though the rules might be different with durian.

A thai from Swiss bought many packets from her and brought it back to Swiss to share with friends there. Then they found out it was old and rotting, made a video about it which went viral. Then the police went to arrest her.