Swiss businessmen fleeced by Suvarnabhumi taxi - but Thailand restores some pride!

webfact

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They should just charge a flat rate like they do in New York City. If I remember right when I flew into JFK the rate to anywhere in Manhattan was $45. Absolutely no incentive for the taxi driver to mess about or drive you in circles.

Edited by anotheruser

I met my friends at Swampy, arrivals gate 2, downstairs we were told Taxis. 1 man with a post office style machine--gives us the next ticket. 55 I think 150 yards down the road was number 55----driver waiting by the car--------we then had to negotiate a price --had we not agreed we would have had to come all the way back.......to the machine

WHAT A FARCE. why not a simple taxi rank first come first serve. queue as normal with a board of prices to most areas--example Pattaya 1250---------Bkk-----375. stop this bull sh, at the airport AOT.

It never ceases to amaze me when people come to Thailand without researching basic things like travel - even a cursory search turns up MULTIPLE forums with warnings about taxis and meters and all of the scams connected thereto. I was well aware of it before I ever set foot at Savarnibhumi for the 1st time. Someone should provide informative leaflets at the point of international arrivals, or at least a large sign placed strategically. Something like "WARNING! Use only metered taxis and do not accept rides from any unauthorized taxi or from a driver who doesn't use his meter". Simple enough. Should we run my suggestion by General Prayuth? 55555 hahaha

I met my friends at Swampy, arrivals gate 2, downstairs we were told Taxis. 1 man with a post office style machine--gives us the next ticket. 55 I think 150 yards down the road was number 55----driver waiting by the car--------we then had to negotiate a price --had we not agreed we would have had to come all the way back.......to the machine

WHAT A FARCE. why not a simple taxi rank first come first serve. queue as normal with a board of prices to most areas--example Pattaya 1250---------Bkk-----375. stop this bull sh, at the airport AOT.

Swampy has a dedicated group of taxidrivers, when they brought you to your destination they go back to Swampy.

Also other taxi's are not allowed to join the qeueu my wife told me.

So many taxi's drive forward and back to swampy empty without paying passengers.

Isn't that a smart system for a city with much trafficjam? Welcome to Thailand.

And those taxi's at the airport can't speak english and are crappy old toyota's with a huge gastank in the trunk and they refuse to carry your suitcase.clap2.gif

Edited by Thian

It never ceases to amaze me when people come to Thailand without researching basic things like travel - even a cursory search turns up MULTIPLE forums with warnings about taxis and meters and all of the scams connected thereto. I was well aware of it before I ever set foot at Savarnibhumi for the 1st time. Someone should provide informative leaflets at the point of international arrivals, or at least a large sign placed strategically. Something like "WARNING! Use only metered taxis and do not accept rides from any unauthorized taxi or from a driver who doesn't use his meter". Simple enough. Should we run my suggestion by General Prayuth? 55555 hahaha

Thankjs for the lecture. And what do you want people to do when the taxi refuses to turn on the meter as is often the case? Getting out and fighting for your bags isn't an option for the elderly or disabled visitor.

Last week I had to take a taxi from the airport Novotel to the Sofitel downtown. Taxi was using the meter ,then demanded a higher fare when I got to the hotel. He was arguing with me and holding my bag hostage. When I laid down the facts of life he started on about tip, tip, tip to which I told him no one gave me a tip for my work. I was fortunate to have the fare because I would never have seen the full change. As it was he kept 30 baht.

From DMK to BKK, off peak,m I paid 70+50+25 = 145 in tolls plus 560 in fare. Meter was running fast I say. What can I do? Nothing.

The slime at Hua Hin bus depot demanded 200 baht for a 5 minute drive. My bus fare was 269 baht from BKK.This is the mentality and no one in government cares or gives a sh*t when we are ripped off.

"However, the story finally had a happy ending thanks to quick thinking hotel staff."

What was her name?

Right. If the hotel has quick thinking staff, it couldn't possibly have been more than one person. And B600 was still too much. The driver should have been allowed to keep B100, with a B10 coin tossed through the window.

Smart traveller, do not travel if the driver does not turn on the meter,

No home work done by either passengers , as the first trip by one of them to Thailand,

when i travel i read about where i am going , what not to do what is the custom etc

reading about scams here in Thailand are numerous ,

i think the two travellers are lazy and one of them is not a very shrewd business man.

Then the businessmen better take a holiday for a week to read thaivisa forum first. And they will still be cheated in the land of scams.

But why did the taxi go back to Swampy? This proves that a group of taxi's belongs to the airport and only takes rides from there.

Yeah, but it takes a lot of intelligence to Google "Taxi fair BK airport to city"

Doh,what about the meter,man.

How many times a day does that happen???

The only way to stop it is to hang a few of them out to dry... 30 - 90 days ban.

They need taxi inspectors and police checking they are using their meters, hanging around hotels and the airports so when taxis pull up they walk over and see if the meter was used and ask the passengers where they came from and how much they were charged.

It is not rocket science...

I have lived here for 12 years and because I am White ( I dislike that F word ) I would say I have a 50% chance of getting a Taxi without any of the Bullshit and Hassle.

i.e.: 1. A quote about 4 times what the meter would be, 2. Actually accept where I want to go and not say 'NO' if it doesn't suit the driver. 3. Not drive a long route. 4. Not put the Meter on.

On one trip we went over the SAME railway track 3 times! Over, Along, Over, Along and Over Again!

Beware at The Paragon Taxi Rank because one day I got in a tatty old Taxi and then noticed NO METER --- NO NUMBER and LETTERS on the doors inside..... NO LICENCE/PHOTO DISPLAYED.

They use Paragon because they cannot show a FOR HIRE sign as they don't have one!

2 days later exactly the same thing but a different Taxi.

I was looking out for it and I didn't get in.

I told the guy controlling the queue but he was disinterested and just told me to get another Taxi.

Corruption here is inbred and sickening that one has to be continually looking out for scams.passifier.gif Yea here comes another Sucker!

I take a different point of view,i am up for the challenge,keeps me alert but not alarmed(OZZY JOKE).In the village i am an old buffalo and nobody has every ripped me,or tried to rip me.But when i go to the big smoke or tourist places i wake from my slumber and switch on,up for the game and who gets my hard earned and how much.Might even put a copy of my passport in my wallet for the 1st time in 40 years.

everyone traveling abroad, should do some homework to check distances from the airport to the hotel, the average taxi fairs, as well other available commuting means etc, so by this you will have somewhat a nearby idea, where no chance for such cockroaches to deceive and cheat on you..

No home work done by either passengers , as the first trip by one of them to Thailand,

when i travel i read about where i am going , what not to do what is the custom etc

i think the two travellers are lazy and one of them is not a very shrewd business man.

Well everyone likes a smart**s. They did the right thing to avoid confrontation and a potentially violent situation. So maybe they did read up first.

It isn't just Taxi drivers selling the country's reputation 'down the river'.....

But they certainly are in the front-line for first time visitors....

Those who have been a few times or live here develop a sense of cynicism.

Of course, it is the fault of the victims - they should not have been there! Can never be the fault of the perpetrator/criminal! whistling.gif

Jeez, oh really leeneeds? I hope that one day should you ever be unfortunate to become a victim you will realise you cannot blame the criminal.

Would you promise that? Nah, I didn't think so. coffee1.gif

And "well done" to those Thais who helped recoup the overpaid fare.

Edited by lvr181

Then the businessmen better take a holiday for a week to read thaivisa forum first. And they will still be cheated in the land of scams.

But why did the taxi go back to Swampy? This proves that a group of taxi's belongs to the airport and only takes rides from there.

Yeah, but it takes a lot of intelligence to Google "Taxi fair BK airport to city"

About as much as it takes to work out how to spell fare.

Some of the airport taxi drivers are also using meters running at at least triple the normal rate. I got in one at Don Muang this week and we hadn't gone a few feet when the meter had already jumped to 43 baht. When I said there was a problem with the meter, the driver switched some button on the back of the meter and then it dropped back to 35 and started running at the normal rate.

Edited by seedy
font

it doesnt not prove the taxi belongs to the airport. it proves that that particular group of taxis hold the airport concession.

it is not that hard to fathom.

I regret to inform you, Khun Krit, that the 'Land of Smiles' tag was torn off and trampled on a long time ago. A fact for which not only Thai people are to be blamed, but also tourists and expats who treat this country and its people with contempt, arrogance, and total disrespect. These lowlifes may not constitute a majority, but then history is always carved by big-mouth bullies, not by well-behaved majorities.

Of course when Thais are confronted with some Westerners' unacceptable behaviour and jump to the conclusion that all Westerners are trash, they make two very common mistakes :

1/ they generalize,

2/ they impute a person's behaviour solely to his/her origin.

Two mistakes that are made again, and again, and again on this very Forum, every day, by the Thai bashing brigade.

Edited by Yann55