evaporation cooler, any good

steve2112

i was looking at the evaporation cooler (swamp coolers) in homepro. are they any good? i know they are for dry climates but its feels pretty dry at the moment.

I have aircons already but don't like to user them, they give me a cold. i prefer something more natural and i'm surviving with a fan but for about 3000 baht I thought i might give the cooler thing a go.

anyone have one? what do you think?

steve

Edited by steve2112

They work great in the desert because the humidity is low. They work okay outdoors because the humidity is usually well below 100%. They work great on display at a mall because the mall's A/C has knocked down the humidity.

In a confined space in the tropics, not so much.

They'll drive up the humidity, causing mold mildew and other problems. At which time, they'll also quit working because they rely on evaporation to remove heat from the water turning to vapor. When the humidity is high enough, no more water can evaporate. Saturated air and no cooling effect. Sign me up.

I'd go with a smaller A/C, or even a dehumidifier. If the A/C is too big, it can cool a room without dropping the humidity, resulting in a cold and clammy feeling- along with mold and mildew.

I have bought a rather big one at Home Pro a model at 10,000 baht and 40 liters of water, so I could not speak for the smaller models.

BUT... I bought it only for outside when eating or sitting on the terrace, at least it is a big powerful fan, for that no one could disagree smile.png

When I bought it I had many negative advices here on TV, stressing the climate in LOS was too humid for the device to works properly, which I understood, but being stubborn I bought it anyway, now I am satisfy could even say very happy with it. The flow of air has a temperature of only 3 degree cooler, I have checked many time with a thermometer, so yes I agree 3 degree is not much, but every one coming on the terrace while it was working told me they were surprised it was so pleasant. Subjectively it seems probably more than 3 degree but outside one stays within the flow of air like with any fan, so not sure it helps for your inside uses ... but I gave an opinion of someone who at least owns one wai.gif

my model

post-154100-0-48133000-1459570578_thumb.

Edited by Tchooptip

Going by every topic about them here they are a waste of time and money.

It is certainly not my opinion, most opinions on those topics are not opinions of owners they are many of them typical TV opininions, I mean "theorically negative" like I've said for outside uses it's great even in LOS, for inside... yes not so sure at al.

We used them to cool our shops in west Texas, which usually has low humidity. Big, industrial units on wheels so we could spot cool the area where we were working.

They worked great during the heat of the day, but only made the air clammy at night when the temperature got below the dewpoint, meaning the air was saturated and no more water would evaporate.

We also usually shut them down when it was raining, because they just added to the humidity and offered no relief.

For our offices, which had equipment, documents, carpeting and (wimpy office) people all sensitive to humidity, we used genuine air conditioning.