Is it safe to consume Royal D Electrolyte Beverage during pregnancy?

TKI

Dear all,

my wife is pregnant. 7th month. Is it safe for her and our baby to consume this drink (see foto)? one a day.

Thanks for your attention and for your replies.

post-247975-0-37482300-1459263569_thumb.

post-247975-0-71114400-1459263589_thumb.

nothing on the label can harm mother or baby, and potassium is needed during pregnancy, which makes electrolytes in general deplete quicker than normal. Can't see anything wrong with drinking that, unless the contents differ from what's on the label.

As a general comment, as I know nothing about what pregnant women should and shouldn't consume-

People who are serious about the physical training they do, have told me that almost all Thai electrolyte products are of questionable quality, because they contain sodium and sweetners. The athletes I know here, get they electrolytes overseas.

And as at least one other person has said- Unless your wife is working out during her pregnancy, I don't know why she would need electrolytes.

@fantom

All this information is available on the internet, so why do you post nonsense.

Glucose is sugar and so, drinking this electrolyte liquid is like having very much less than a teaspoonful of sugar. That's not a lot.

And sodium levels in blood are 135-145 mEq/l so drinking a solution that is 40 mEq/l is very much not a lot.

Please stick to the facts and don't try to worry the poor OP.

wai.gif

Edited by Tapster

Dear all, thanks a lot for your comments.

@Tapster

Many thanks for your efforts and the qualified information.

Sometimes me wife feels worn out - it is also true that she sweats a lot - and made the experience that when drinking one Royal D she feels better again.

I posted the question cause a friend of hers - also pregnant - was told not to take electrolytes. Why we don't know. Maybe she is suffering from anything which makes her intolerant to one of the ingredients.

Our next apppointment at the doctor is only in two weeks. So i am very happy and appreciate you and others have shed a light on the topic and made us understand already now.

One of the best if not very best electrolyte drink is plain old boring water. But there is a massive global sport drink industry which prefers you spending more money on their drinks. I imagine the pregnant women is not doing anything extreme like cycling up Doi Inthanon in the midday heat. Drink water and eat healthy. Thai food and fruits is full of salts, minerals etc.

@TKI

Any drugs, even painkillers, are better avoided in pregnancy unless really needed. That's what a doctor will tell you.

As your wife is at seven months, the risk of a drug causing developmental abnormalities has reduced significantly.

However, there's nothing in Royal D that counts as a drug, so if it helps your wife, one a day is fine.

Trust me, these are facts, not opinions.

And you'll be able to check with the doctor in two weeks.

Good luck with the baby!

wai.gif

One of the best if not very best electrolyte drink is plain old boring water. But there is a massive global sport drink industry which prefers you spending more money on their drinks. I imagine the pregnant women is not doing anything extreme like cycling up Doi Inthanon in the midday heat. Drink water and eat healthy. Thai food and fruits is full of salts, minerals etc.

This is completely wrong. "Electrolytes" are salts dissolved in water: they are called this because dissolved salts form positive and negative ions which can allow an electric current to flow in a liquid.

Sodium chloride or common salt, for example (an essential part of the diet), forms an electrolyte solution when dissolved in water because it forms positively charged sodium ions and negatively charged chloride ions.

Pure water is NOT an electrolyte, and electrolytes are not for "hydration". Hydration is replacement of lost water, and is what water does.

Electrolytes are replacement for lost essential ions, including, and most essentially, sodium, because you lose large quantities of sodium and other ions when you sweat.

This is why animals go to salt licks and lick salt: to replace lost salts. This is what electrolyte solutions do too. Because electrolyte drinks contain water they of course hydrate you as well as replacing lost essential ions.

But water alone will hydrate you, but it will not replace lost salts unless the salts are dissolved in it already. It is not a"an electrolyte"!

This is completely wrong. "Electrolytes" are salts dissolved in water: they are called this because dissolved salts form positive and negative ions which can allow an electric current to flow in a liquid.

Sodium chloride or common salt, for example (an essential part of the diet), forms an electrolyte solution when dissolved in water because it forms positively charged sodium ions and negatively charged chloride ions.

Pure water is NOT an electrolyte, and electrolytes are not for "hydration". Hydration is replacement of lost water, and is what water does.

Electrolytes are replacement for lost essential ions, including, and most essentially, sodium, because you lose large quantities of sodium and other ions when you sweat.

This is why animals go to salt licks and lick salt: to replace lost salts. This is what electrolyte solutions do too. Because electrolyte drinks contain water they of course hydrate you as well as replacing lost essential ions.

But water alone will hydrate you, but it will not replace lost salts unless the salts are dissolved in it already. It is not a"an electrolyte"!

I still go with my advice...Drink water , eat healthy. Thai foods and fruits are full of salts minerals etc......No need for electrolytes powders unless like i said you are cycling up Doi Inthanon or similar. Even riding up a mountain in Thailand you would be fine with water mixed with sugar and might not need any salt in the mix. Thai food is rammed with salt so most people never need to worry that you are not getting enough.

@CNXBKKMAN

In Thailand one can become relatively dehydrated, relatively easily and with that comes loss of electrolytes via the sweat glands.

It may not be necessary, but there's no harm in anyone using an electrolyte drink once a day during a period of heat stress (excess sweating, as one might very well experience when carrying a near-term baby).

Just sayin'.

thumbsup.gif

Dude, are u really going to rely on comments here for you wife's and baby's health?

Agree! Sugar, salt and trace amounts of potassium and orange flavor ... she is not getting this in the foods she eats? Why take it at all and risk whatever might be in it that they are not telling you about.

There is no risk. These electrolytes are present in food and in human plasma, and the concentrations in the sachets is the same as in blood plasma.

Perfectly safe to drink a sachet a day if diluted per instructions and even beneficial if someone is sweating a lot.