is it possible to use a USA Auto DL to ride small bikes in Thailand legally?

chubby

i was just reading a post that in the UK <br>

" there have been many changes to licence categories over the years. My car licence includes category AM which is mopeds with a max. speed of 45kph. How fast do the smaller, low powered, auto Thai bikes go?"

<br><br>

so I could call my local agency and ask them , but i guess i need to know what speeds a Dream or other typical soi bikes are able to attain?

<br><br>

i know i can drive for 90 days with a USA Auto License, in Thailand, driving cars, but just asking on the motorcycles, as i'm tired of taking motosai taxis everyday to get to sukhumwit , i guess that is another topic, about leaving a motorsai parked at the top of soi's all day, seems like many sois, there'd not be a good place for that in middle sukhumwit, and i'd end up driving on sukhumwit on a motorsai, which i've always avoided with the motosai taxis.....thanks

Edited by chubby

You need to have an International Drivers Permit (IDP) along with your US license to drive legally here. As far as bikes go, you'd need to have a motorcycle endorsement on your US license (this is also noted on the IDP) to legally ride a bike, but I doubt you'd have much of an issue if you were stopped riding a scooter and could produce a valid license/IDP (provided, as you noted, you've been in LOS less than three months) as the local cops likely would be unaware of the lack of an endorsement (though a problem is always a possibility when you drive/ride without all your documents in order).

Edited by Throttled

so to drive a Honda Dream or whatever, I can't just use a USA auto license, I probably will need a motorcycle USA license, and can just as well, use that for 90 days, > 90 days get a Thai Motorsai License?

There is no Thai script on an IDL so the average BIB will have no idea what it is. Same affect as giving them a Blockbuster video member card!

Not much required to "read" an IDP.

There is a simplified system of categories (A, B, C, ...).

They are stamped or not stamped.

A is for motorcycles. Not stamped not permitted.

And you can bet that at checkpoints in Pattaya or Bangkok there is at least one who can read that.

I had a Thai DL for cars, being stopped in Pattaya on a scooter.

"Only car?" Only car! (I don't have motorcycle lic. from home country).

-> being fined.

Now I also have a Thai DL for motorcycle tongue.png (made from scratch).

In Thailand there is only one DL category for motorcycles.

Be it a Ducati Monster or be it a Honda Wave.

Crazy but true.

Edited by KhunBENQ

so to drive a Honda Dream or whatever, I can't just use a USA auto license, I probably will need a motorcycle USA license, and can just as well, use that for 90 days, > 90 days get a Thai Motorsai License?

An International Drivers License isn't a drivers license, it's a translation of your U.S License. It depends on what cop stops you on whether you will be fined for not having an International License, my Canadian mate doesn't have either international or motorbike license and has been fined for no helmet but never had grief for not having a bike license.....generally it goes on engine size to determine if you need a bike license or can just use a car license, I think under 50cc you can use a car license.

If you intend to ride a motorbike around Bangkok you will find a bullet in your brain is a slightly faster way to die.

I use an IDL here in Thailand from my US drivers license and the Thai and Cambodian police know what it is and accept it. You do need a drivers license, Thai or IDL, to ride a scooter here in Thailand, if you don't have one the police will issue you a citation.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere if you are over 16 years of age and the bike is 110cc or less you don't need a license!

That could be a law in some countries, but not Thailand.

To legally ride any motorcycle you need a motorcycle license here.

Though 7 year old kids ride them to school all the time. TIT

I use an IDL here in Thailand from my US drivers license and the Thai and Cambodian police know what it is and accept it. You do need a drivers license, Thai or IDL, to ride a scooter here in Thailand, if you don't have one the police will issue you a citation.

IDP not IDL

Johnnie Walker on January 30, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Hi Richard. I’ve been a regular reader of the Thaivisa motoring forum for many years where this subject comes up frequently. Also I was a UK Government Approved Driving Instructor for almost 25 years so took a bit more interest in licensing than many do. I also hold numerous categories and have driven in 14 countries.

There is no such such thing as International Driving Licence, however there is an International Driving PERMIT or IDP. This is a translation of a foreign licence into English and also provides a photo. Therefore if you already have a valid licence that is in English and has photo ID, you do not need an IDL. HOWEVER some Thai Police Officers don’t know this, so it may smooth your day if stopped, to be able to produce one, but it is not a legal requirement.

Several TV members have phoned the big name car hire co’s in Thailand from time to time and asked if an IDP is needed, usual answer is no.

You can drive on a foreign licence in Thailand only for 90 days irrespective of the IDP being valid for 12 months. That means you can return to Thailand and use it again (more than once) for another 90 days.

Motorcycle licensing I’m much less knowledgeable on, but would agree many unwittingly get caught out. I don’t know about other countries, but in the uk there have been many changes to licence categories over the years. My car licence includes category AM which is mopeds with a max. speed of 45kph. How fast do the smaller, low powered, auto Thai bikes go?

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2016/01/you-must-have-an-idl-if-you-want-to-drive-in-thailand/

I vaguely remember reading somewhere if you are over 16 years of age and the bike is 110cc or less you don't need a license!

Between 16-18 they can ride up to 110cc but need a valid license!

Via Tapatalk