Ugh! Big cargo of rotten Cambodian rats hits Thailand markets

webfact

Ugh! Big cargo of rotten Cambodian rats hits Thailand markets
Thaivisa Reporters

rat.jpg
Image: Thairath

SA KAEO:-- Public health inspectors acting on a tip off intercepted a cargo of Cambodian rats headed for the markets of Thailand, reports Thaivisa News.

The cargo of rodents amounted to 200 kilograms of the chopped up variety and a total of 2,500 topped and tailed creatures that authorities said represented a serious risk to public health. They were on their way to the Rong Klua market in the area.

The rats were contained in a truck hidden behind empty bags of fertiliser. They were town rats and rats from sewers mixed up with field rats.

Experts on rats said that the field variety can be safely consumed if well done but it is not safe to eat town or sewer rats that consume dirty food and pass on a variety of diseases to humans including typhus.

A checkpoint had been set up near Aranyaprathet after Thai authorities received information that Cambodians in the Poi Pet market area were catching town rats and sewer rats and preparing them.

Health authorities were unable to separate the good field rats from the diseased ones so the entire lorry load had to be destroyed in a mobile incinerator used for such eventualities.

As far as the Cambodian "rats" who brought in the diseased rodents, unfortunately they managed to evade punishment and disappear back over the border.

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-30

"The rats were contained in a truck hidden behind empty bags of fertiliser" Shouldn't that be 'The rats were contained in a truck hidden behind empty fertiliser bags'? My Thailish not so good!

I dont give a rats ar.e about Cambodian rats or Thai rats.

I would never eat rat, or even allow my wife to eat the vermin.

Interesting attitude on a couple levels, first "vermin" (?) rats are just another animal from the natural world, the fact that they have adapted to human filthy cities does not reflect on their food quality if from cleaner environs. Secondly, you attempt to control what "your" wife is "allowed' to eat? says it all.

I dont give a rats ar.e about Cambodian rats or Thai rats.

I would never eat rat, or even allow my wife to eat the vermin.

Interesting attitude on a couple levels, first "vermin" (?) rats are just another animal from the natural world, the fact that they have adapted to human filthy cities does not reflect on their food quality if from cleaner environs. Secondly, you attempt to control what "your" wife is "allowed' to eat? says it all.

vermin
ˈvəːmɪn/
noun
  1. wild animals which are believed to be harmful to crops, farm animals, or game, or which carry disease, e.g. rodents.
  2. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rodent - definition of rodent by The Free Dictionary
    www.thefreedictionary.com/rodent

The teeth grow throughout the animal's life, and gnawing keeps them from getting too long. Rodents make up about half the living species of mammals, and include rats, mice, beavers, squirrels, shrews, and hamsters.

Why do they need Cambodian rats? I've seen big rats in the streets of Bkk, why not eat them?

When I first came to Thailand I was puzzled by the absence of birds, no birds singing in the mornings, after asking turns out local farmers killed them all, nowadays their economy seems better because the birds can be heard singing in the mornings...

Edited by AlQaholic

"The rats were contained in a truck hidden behind empty bags of fertiliser" Shouldn't that be 'The rats were contained in a truck hidden behind empty fertiliser bags'? My Thailish not so good!

Couldn't that mean that the bags where made of fertilizer?

'The rats were contained in a truck hidden behind empty plastic bags which purpose is to contain fertiliser'?

The rats were located inside a truck that was hidden behind empty bags made of unknown material, which alleged purpose was to contain fertilizer , not the truck but the bags....i.e. the purpose of the bags was to contain fertilizer, but at this point in time they were empty.

cheesy.gif

Edited by AlQaholic

Why do they need Cambodian rats? I've seen big rats in the streets of Bkk, why not eat them?

When I first came to Thailand I was puzzled by the absence of birds, no birds singing in the mornings, after asking turns out local farmers killed them all, nowadays their economy seems better because the birds can be heard singing in the mornings...

Thais do not like to do the job of catching them, so either import the catchers or the rats themselves.

Coincidentally saw a dead one by soi Nerm Plab Wan market yesterday, bigger than my cat!

On the path, not the stalls.

Thailand eyes luxury tourists, operators say keep them safe

Luxury tourists expect that they will only eat clean rats, never contaminated rats! Thailand needs to do a better job of ensuring that tourists eat only the best rats that are available in Thailand. Besides who wants imported rats when the worlds best rats are Thai?

I'm trying to imagine a pile of bags big enough for a truck to hide behind :D

What was the truck doing hiding behind fertilizer bags ? Or couldn't you give a rat's ar$e ?

Great! So now people have to worry that perhaps the meat in their prepared food is not actually pork. Thailand is getting as bad as China.

Would remind one of the "horse meat" scandal of about two years ago in many parts of Europe....amoung well known brand foods???

Couldn't that mean that the bags where made of fertilizer?

'The rats were contained in a truck hidden behind empty plastic bags which purpose is to contain fertiliser'?

The rats were located inside a truck that was hidden behind empty bags made of unknown material, which alleged purpose was to contain fertilizer , not the truck but the bags....i.e. the purpose of the bags was to contain fertilizer, but at this point in time they were empty.

cheesy.gif

Please, please, too early in the morning.........my brain hurts! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifwai.gif

Thais do not like to do the job of catching them, so either import the catchers or the rats themselves.

Coincidentally saw a dead one by soi Nerm Plab Wan market yesterday, bigger than my cat!

On the path, not the stalls.

Thai's do not like killing things because they are very good Buddhists, that is why fish restaurants have Chinese cooks, the canny Thai's don't want the attached Karma! What! What about road deaths and killing girlfriends and killing yourself with drugs? Oh! That's different!! thumbsup.gifwhistling.gifwai.gif

Great! So now people have to worry that perhaps the meat in their prepared food is not actually pork. Thailand is getting as bad as China.

Would remind one of the "horse meat" scandal of about two years ago in many parts of Europe....amoung well known brand foods???

Bit of a difference between healthy horse meat and diseases rat I would think.

However both are indeed wrong.