Patong Beach - Skin Problems After Swimming - help find article

Speedo1968

Many thanks KarenBravo

What I saw on my friends bodies after they swam locally was either a rash or looked more like bites. Years ago in Eastern Malaysia I received similar bites whilst snorkeling. The water insect ( ? ) showed as a red swarm on the surface and stung like a mosquito, the combined bites were painful and caused a mild fever like response. My friends do not mention seeing anything in the water e.g the browning.

Thanks KarenBravo and 2fishin2 - sea lice a new term for me. I had considered algae of some form but not sure that they are invisible. Jellyfish, never seen an "invisible" one. I am used to "seeing" them in Australia especially the Bluebottle, which I have encountered upfront and personal. Also the seasonal plagues of blue / purple jellyfish on the Dutch island of Texel. Whilst living in Texel I had an Irish Setter dog, she loved swimming in the sea for 100's of metres, on the beach she would attack every jellyfish, be stung by every jelly fish, she never did learn.

As it is highly unlikely for the public to get an official response from the govt, perhaps just the "normal' non-reply, what affected the people is open to debate.

My friends rashes ? are starting to quieten down a week later, my concern is that had the trigger for whatever ailed them been a real health risk will it still take 4 or 5 days to get a water sample ? Guess a blind eye will be turned as usual.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived